Xixi’s POV-Moving to the House
53 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mother was dead because of tumor. I would never hear her singing and reading for me. She could not attend my commencement ceremony or wedding to witness the most important of my life. I would have to live on my own now. After the funeral, I cried all day in the bedroom and did not know what would occur to me next. But uncle’s driver came up and took me to the house. It was much bigger than the one I lived with mum. The garden was big and beautiful with peony and jasmine. But I was not in the mood to enjoy them.

Driver uncle asked me to wait for a while and I sat on the sofa. A maid came and brought me a cup of tea. She peeped me with the intention to read something out through my eye and expression. I smiled back and said thank you. Then, a young man went downstairs. He was tall and smiling. Dressed in a black T shirt and blue jeans, he sat opposite to me.

“My name is Ming Yang.”

“Hi, I’m Xixi.”

“Father is busy now and cannot come back today. He asked me to make arrangement for you.”

His voice was rough and low. It was similar to that of uncle. He scanned me from head to toe, which made me uncomfortable.

“Thank you.”

“You can call me brother Yang. I have three younger brothers, but they are not in today. They would come back tomorrow to have breakfast. I am really sorry for your loss, but you have to get out and move on” he tried to comfort me.

“Um” I nodded and wiped tears.

“From now on, you are one of our family members. You are still young, so you need live together with us. That’s the will of your mother as well” he continued.

“I know. Thank you!” There is no word to express my gratitude for uncle’s family. They saved us years ago and brought hope to us. Their kindness did not disappear with mum. They were willing to accept my custody and brought me up.

“Let’s have dinner. You must be hungry now.” Brother Yang stood up and escorted me to the dining room. An old maid was setting the long white table, and there are five dishes on it. Prawn, broccoli, sweet sour pork with pineapple, vegetable soup, and meat ball. They smelled really great.

Brother Yang pulled the chair and let me sit in the right, while he sat opposite to me. “Eat and help yourself” he passed a bowl of rice to me.

“Your bedroom is on the 3rd floor next to the one of Ming Lang, but it was under decoration now. You can live in the left wing for a few months. Your luggage had been taken to the room now. I’ll show you after dinner.

“Thank you” I buried myself in the bowl and dedicatedly enjoyed the pineapple which was yummy.

He was glad to see my good appetite and took another bowl of rice for me.

“You are too skinny as if a blow of wind would strike you down. Have more and grow up.” He said.

The left wing was another building next to the main one. There is a small bridge linking the two together at the second floor. My room was big and neat, with a king size bed, a large wooden wardrobe, a brown leather sofa, and a lovely balcony. The curtain was yellow with flora. “The butler’s daughter used to live here in summer vacation. It’s just a temporary bedroom. The new one would be more beautiful“ he was afraid that I would be unsatisfied with the room and tried to explain.

“It’s lovely. I like it. Thank you, brother Yang.”

“Good night and don’t cry” he tossed my hair and left.

Being alone, I missed mum so much and could not help weeping on bed. I didn’t know when I fell asleep, but the time I got up, it was already the next day morning.

Someone knocked the door.

“Miss Jiang, are you up now?” it’s the butler’s sound. She came to wake me up. It was not polite to stay late on bed the first day. I quickly got dressed and opened the door.

“There you are. Breakfast would be ready in 15 minutes. Please be ready. Mr. Ming wants to see you.” She looked at Xixi’s black dress, and secretly told me:” Since your mother’s funeral was over, there is no need to dress all black now, especially in this house.” Her suggestion was true. I took up the suitcase and took out a light blue one.

“It’s nice and beautiful” the butler said and closed the door.

I looked my face in the mirror and found my eyes were swollen for a night long crying. It reminded me of the concealer that mum bought for me, so I took it out and put a small dot to cover the black parts of the eye. It’ s not perfect but at least much better.

0