Chapter 69: Towards the Capital!
299 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Good morning, Your Excellencies. Lord Cedric has been waiting for you."

Formally and politely, the guard slightly lowered his head as he greeted Grey and Yuna. And without saying another word, he turned around and escorted the both of them inside.

Just as they had promised Cedric yesterday, Yuna and Grey were now inside the mansion to pick up the kids they are going to escort. It was still early in the morning yet the two of them already feel a little tired with the stiff greeting they just received.

A couple minutes of walking later, Grey and Yuna finally arrived in a room slightly bigger and luxurious than yesterday. There, they say Cedric with two young little boys by his side.

"Good morning, Cedric." [Grey]

"Morning." [Yuna]

"Good morning as well. By the way, these are my children. Elnart and Galvin. Elnart, Galvin, tell them your greetings." [Cedric]

"Good morning, I'm Elnart von Aldridge. It's a pleasure to meet you." [Elnart]

"Hello, I'm Galvin von Aldridge. Nice to meet you." [Galvin]

Just as their father told them to, the children bowed their heads and introduced themselves politely to Grey and Yuna. Although they were still young, they observed proper manners as one would expect from noble children.

The older one, Elnart, while younger than Eliza has a much better posture and acted maturely for children his age. The younger one, Galvin, has a more limited vocabulary but was just as polite.

Seeing how well-behaved they were, Grey wondered if they really were five and seven year-old children. Last time he checked, children from his past life were more mischievous and spoiled at that age. It showed how different each world really was.

"Nice to meet you too, Elnart, Galvin. You can call me Big Sis Yuna, okay?" [Yuna]

While Grey was praising their etiquette skills at the back of my mind, Yuna already went ahead of him and greeted the two boys in front of her. Of course, Grey followed suit after her.

"Oh, right. Cedric, where are the kids' baggage?" [Grey]

"They've been packed already, why do you ask?" [Cedric]

"I'm planning to store them in my storage ring. That way, traveling would be a lot easier and faster." [Grey]

"Don't worry. Their baggage is not that heavy. It shouldn't affect the carriage's speed even if they're there or not." [Cedric]

"Ah, we won't be taking the carriage." [Grey]

"Huh?" [Cedric]

Not being able to understand what Grey had just said, Cedric can't help himself but make a confused face. He looked like a high school freshman who saw letters in math for the first time.

Grey and Yuna weren't people who could be understood by common sense. There was no way the two of them would take a carriage when there was a much faster and more interesting mode of transportation.

By carriage, it would take about two weeks or so before people reach the capital from Galderia. That was just too slow. That's why yesterday, the both of them decided that they will be using the help of their familiars.

"Don't worry about it. It's not something dangerous, so you can rest easy. And with this method, we should arrive there in less than two days." [Grey]

"Two days?! That's absurd! Even with the shortest route, it would take 11! Just what is this method you're talking about?" [Cedric]

"That's a secret. But rest assured, the children won't be harmed in any way." [Grey]

Grey said with a reassuring smile at the end. After all, he couldn't exactly say they would be using their familiars and fly straight towards the royal capital at breakneck speeds.

Of course, they only resorted to using that way as they wanted to have the children meet their mother as soon as possible. Well, that and the fact that normal carriage rides are boring. They needed something to spice things up.

"Oh, I see... Sorry for asking a private matter. Well, whatever it is, you have my full trust. I know you will keep my children safe." [Cedric]

"Thanks for trusting us." [Grey]

"We'll make sure that Elnart and Galvin arrive safely at the capital." [Yuna]

With Grey and Yuna's words, Cedric then patted his children's heads for the last time and signaled them to approach the two. They didn't show any signs of wariness and just followed their father.

Even when they had just met yesterday, Cedric already learnt to trust Grey and Yuna. It was not only because he had them investigated but also because of how much Gaston, Vanessa, and Kurt trusted them. He had identified them as "trustworthy".

"Well then, we'll be leaving nowー" [Grey]

"Ah, wait! Please take these with you." [Cedric]

Just as they tried to leave, Cedric stopped them and handed them two letters, both of which were contained in elegant looking containers, marked with the Aldridge family crest. The only difference with the two was the color of the containers.

"This one is a letter for my wife. It contains an introduction letter for the two of you and a confirmation letter for the completion of the quest. Please have my wife sign it." [Cedric]

Cedric explained as he handed it to them. It was contained in a deep scarlet-colored container and was tied with a beautiful black ribbon. It wasn't just a simple container either, it was one which wouldn't open unless mana was poured.

It was only then that Grey realized something. That it was dubious for two, barely adult adventurers to be escorting noble children to the capital. Thankfully, Cedric a

Ready planned ahead to make sure it doesn't happen.

"As for this one, it contains another introduction letter. It's for the supplier of the tea you had yesterday. If you give them that, they should prioritize your orders. They might even give you a discount." [Cedric]

It was another letter contained in a luxurious container. It was a black one this time which had a gold-colored ribbon wrapping it in the middle. And just like the other one, it was also enchanted.

"Thank you, this would certainly help. Well then, we'll be going now." [Grey]

"Alright, please take care of my children." [Cedric]

"We sure will." [Grey]

"Elnart, Galvin, Say goodbye to your father for now." [Yuna]

"Yes... See you later, Father." [Elnart]

"Bye~." [Galvin]

The two little boys waved their hands towards their father as they slowly turned around and exited the room. Soon after, they also went out of the mansion and into the busy streets.

From the mansion, the four of us started walking their way to the northern gate. During the process, the children didn't complain about it, rather, they just kept chatting and laughing with the two of them.

They were more obedient and well-behaved than Grey and Yuna had imagined. They were so kind in fact that they didn't even complain when they ran out of stamina and started sweating. They were still children, after all.

It was something Grey had overlooked. Since he got used to Eliza following them without breaking a sweat, he subconsciously thought the children would be fine as well. It was there that he messed up.

"Alright, let's take a carriage to the gate. Galvin is already sweating." [Grey]

"Grey, I also think that's a good idea. It's just that we have a little problem... there are no carriage stations nearby." [Yuna]

When he heard Grey's suggestion, Galvin's face quickly brightened up, but his newfound hope was quickly shot down by Yuna. Even then, he didn't complain and just kept silent.

Even if they were to try and find one, the nearest would still be more than a kilometer away. It was not an option they could take seeing how exhausted the children already were. There was only one thing which came to Grey's mind.

"Woah~ I can see so high~!!" [Galvin]

"Galvin, calm down!" [Elnart]

After a sudden idea popped into his mind, Grey lifted Galvin and Elnart up and had them sit on his shoulders. Although his shoulders weren't that wide,the children were still able to sit comfortably with his arms supporting them.

When it came to Eliza, it was usually Grey who would look at Yuna with warm eyes as she cared for her. Now, it was Yuna whose eyes looked warmly at the sight of her beloved acting like a father to the kids.

"How is it?" [Grey]

"It's amazing! I feel very tall!" [Galvin]

"Hey, Galvin. Stop moving so much." [Elnart]

"Galvin, listen to your big brother, okay?" [Yuna]

"Y-Yes!" [Galvin]

Galvin was very excited with what he was experiencing. As for Elnart, he was trying to calm his little brother down in order to make sure that no accidents occur. Yuna looked out for both of them.

Elnart also looked a little bit embarrassed by it. He had tried being carried on the shoulders by his father before but that was a very long time ago. He has now matured enough to be embarrassed on a shoulder ride.

"Well then, let's head to the gate!" [Grey]

"Yeah!" [Galvin]

Galvin enthusiastically raised his hands to the sky as he responded to Grey's words. He was a little timid at first, but now, he had completely opened up his heart to both Grey and Yuna.

Although it was eye catching for Grey to carry two children by his shoulder, the citizens just took a single look from them then looked away. But some, particularly women, looked at them as if they were some cute exhibition.

After a few minutes of walking, they finally arrived at the northern gate. Unfortunately, Dale wasn't stationed there. Even though somehow, he had always been stationed in the gate, Grey and Yuna were passing. It just seemed weird for them that they didn't see him there.

"There's so many people..." [Elnart]

"And horses too!" [Galvin]

Since it was still early in the morning, there was a very long line towards the gate. If they were to wait it out, it would take them approximately half an hour before they could pass the gates. It was a waste of time.

Neither Grey nor Yuna wanted to use that method, but if they wanted to have the children arrive at the capital as soon as possible, they had no other choice but to resort to it, even if it was unfair to other people.

Ignoring the other people in line, Grey and company just walked towards the gates. And with the children sitting on Grey's shoulders, they garnered more attention than what they ever wanted.

"Excuse me, can we pass through first?" [Grey]

"Ah, Your Excellencies. Good morning." [Gate Guard]

"Morning." [Yuna]

"Good morning as well. So about my question..." [Grey]

"Oh, of course! If it's Your Excellencies, you can pass through anytime you want. It's also the same for your companions." [Gate Guard]

The guard said as he let them pass through gates without even conducting an inspection. It was one of the privileges Grey and Yuna could take advantage of after becoming B-rank adventurers.

Of course, they had never used it before as it felt unfair for the other people in line. Today was only an exception as they wanted the kids to spend as much time as possible with their mother. It could be considered their reward for being obedient.

"Thank you." [Grey]

"It's my pleasure." [Gate Guard]

As the gate guard slightly nodded his head and with Grey and Yuna feeling a little guilty, the four of them finally set foot out of town and continued their journey towards the royal capital.

"Alright, here should be fine." [Grey]

After exiting the gates, the party of four then traveled some distance away from the highway and headed into the nearby woods, making sure that no one could see them or what they were about to do.

They were not going to do something illegal, it was just that it would still be a lot more bothersome if someone saw them using "that" method. Some people might even freak out because of it.

"Everyone, you can come out now." [Grey]

As Grey said those words, his shadow trembled slightly and soon enough, four "pieces" split up from it, darting a few meters away from Grey's position as if they had their own consciousness.

Shortly after, the shadow, from being a two-dimensional black patch, into a three-dimensional figure which took the form of winged horses. Not only the shape, color also started to appear as more time passed, revealing four beautiful pegasi.

In reality, none of the four beasts were a true pegasus. All of them were Grey and Yuna's familiar's who took the shapes of pegasi. It was so that they wouldn't scare the children with their true forms.

『We'll be relying on you once again, everyone.』 [Grey]

『Please take care of us.』 [Yuna]

『It's our pleasure to serve you, Master, Mistress.』 [Sirius]

『You can count on us!』 [Canopus]

Just as they had agreed to yesterday, they will be riding on the familiars' backs on the way to the capital. It was not only a fast way of travel, but will also provide a very rare experience for the children.

On the journey, Greyn and Yuna will only ride on two familiars at a time while the other two stand guard and protect them. Sirius and Canopus will be ridden on the first day, while Kentaurus and Arcturus on the second day.

"Woah~ Winged horses!" [Galvin]

"They're our familiars. Be sure to be nice to them, alright?" [Grey]

"Amazing... Older Brother Grey and Older Sister Yuna are amazing." [Elnart]

"Fufu, thank you~." [Yuna]

Galvin was over the moon as he hugged Sirius from excitement without much thought. Meanwhile, Elnart only admired the magnificent beasts from afar. He was much more cautious than his younger brother.

Neither Grey nor Yuna had a good memory with horses, but since it was their familiars whom they will be riding, they felt reassured and felt like everything would just be alright.

Neighhhhhh Heighhhhh

Incited by the familiars' calls, Grey then approached Canopus, and with a light hop, he managed to ride his back without much trouble. He looked like a professional equestrian even when he failed miserably during his first date with Yuna.

To Grey's surprise, the pegasus' back was very comfortable unlike the horses they once rode when they first arrived in Galderia. Following him, Yuna also hopped on Sirius' back.

"What are you waiting for? Hop in." [Grey]

"Eh? We're going to ride on them...?" [Elnart]

"I did say we weren't going to take the carriage, and this way, you can see your mother much faster." [Grey]

"Alright..." [Elnart]

When Grey reached out his hand to Elnart to hop on the pegasus, the young boy was a little hesitant about riding it. But after Grey mentioned his mother, he quickly cleared all his fears and hopped on the pegasus' back with Grey's help.

On the other hand, Galvin...

"Yay! I get to ride a winged horse!" [Galvin]

"Careful, Galvin. Here grab my hand." [Yuna]

... was very excited about riding one. He was very different from his older brother. It seemed like there was still no such thing as worry or caution inside his innocent and pure mind.

"Elnart, hold on tightly to the pegasus's mane. You too, Galvin. And don't move too much. You're going to upset the pegasus." [Grey]

"Understood." [Elnart]

"Y-Yesh!" [Galvin]

"Alright. Then let's take off!" [Grey]

"To the skies!" [Yuna]

With Grey and Yuna's signal, the familiars flapped their wings with all their might and took off to the skies. It was like a scene in a fantasy movie, except that it was very much real and a little scary.

Even though neither Yuna nor Grey were skilled at horse riding, the familiars' flight was still smooth because they only needed to order them. There was no need for them to actually do any work.

Whilst Sirius and Canopus carried them on their backs, Kentaurus and Arcturus flew by their sides and stayed alert for any possible dangers. Though, with their presence, no other creatures tried to approach them.

"Amazing! We're flying!" [Galvin]

"Galvin, stay still. You're going to fall if you move too much." [Yuna]

"But we're flying! I can reach the clouds!" [Galvin]

"I know, I know, so please calm down. Big Sis Yuna is going to get angry if you don't settle down." [Yuna]

"S... Sorry..." [Galvin]

Unlike Elnart who was able to suppress his excitement, Galvin, like the little child he was, was really excited when they took off, his head was turning both left and right, and up and down from pure curiosity and excitement.

Yuna had a hard time calming him down. Thankfully, she knew how to handle children well. With just a single warning from her, Galvin settled down. Well, at least most parts of his body did, since his head was still turning in every direction.

"Now that's more like it. Good boy." [Yuna]

As Galvin calmed down, the party's focus was then shifted to the scenery below them. Rivers, trees, hills, and plains, they passed a lot of them. It was as if they were flying in the sky like free birds.

"Amazing..." [Elnart]

Even the quiet and well-mannered Elnart was moved by the scenery that was taking place before his eyes. It was simply breathtaking. A luxury not even royalty could experience.

"Older Brother Grey, thank you..." [Elnart]

"Hm? What for?" [Grey]

"You know... for going to such lengths just so that we can meet our mother sooner. Even though this is the first time we met." [Elnart]

Elnart sincerely gave his gratitude to Grey as he continued to admire the scenery below him. He initially thought that he'd only be able to meet his mother after two weeks, but it was cut down significantly to the span of two days. He couldn't ask for more.

Hearing his words, Grey felt happy that he went to such lengths. Not only him, even Yuna, who just happened to overhear them, felt satisfied with his words.

"If it's about that, then you don't have to worry about it. This is a quest made by your father, and as adventurers, it's only normal that we do this. We are heading to the capital anyways." [Grey]

"I know, but I'm still thankful." [Elnart]

"Well, if you're that hang up on it, then you're welcoー" [Grey]

"Woah!! There's a lot of animals!" [Galvin]

Before Grey could finish his sentence, Galvin interrupted him with a loud voice as he pointed at a large herd of animals that were peacefully grazing at the plains together. They were bulldeers.

"Grey, are those..." [Yuna]

"Yeah... they're the same herd of bulldeers that me and Mister Kris hunted from when we were still at Moterno." [Grey]

It has already been two months since Grey last saw them. But because of their small migration area, they were still not that far away from Cervidia Plains near Moterno. They were peaceful animals who took their time slowly.

After all, Alfrione was not a country which had four seasons. It was a country where the trees and grass stay green all year round. It only made sense that they migrate slowly. Seeing them like that, Grey wondered when they would reach their next destination.

Speaking of destinations, Grey and Yuna also had one which they'll arrive shortly after a few days. And with new places, comes new experiences. It was something the both of them looked forward to.

"Elnart, Galvin, do you want to go even faster?" [Grey]

"Yes!" [Galvin]

"Y-Yes..." [Elnart]

"Then hold on tight, and... giddy up!" [Grey]

CHAPTER 69 END

10