Chapter 96: Black Silver’s Invitation
265 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tweet Chirp Chirp

The chirping of the birds resounded towards the vast sky as the sounds of doors creaking and lights turning on started to echo throughout each household. Another morning has started yet again.

Inside the Aldridge mansion, Grey and Yuna were still in their own room. Yuna was still sleeping soundly while Grey was already up and about, sitting down a chair as he talked to the familiars.

"Can you guys do that?" [Grey]

"Surveying the city is an easy task, Master. There's no need to worry." [Polaris]

"We'll make sure to report back when we notice anything suspicious." [Sirius]

"Alright, then I'll leave it all to you." [Grey]

The familiars vanished into thin air at Grey's behest, or rather, they were teleported outside with Polaris' power and took the forms of little blue birds who then split up in order to carry out Grey's request.

With what was talked about yesterday, Grey had become more worried about the upcoming days. To increase the security, he tasked the familiars to watch over the capital and report back if there was anything suspicious.

Polaris was assigned to watch over the castle and the central area of the city, while the other familiars were assigned to the four cardinal directions. With their senses, they can just about cover everything.

There was no assurance that Iblis would really attack once again, but there was nothing to lose with being more careful. Grey just hoped that even if something were to happen, the innocent would not be harmed.

"Mhm... Fuwaahh~..." [Yuna]

As timely as one can be, Yuna awoke just about the same time the familiars left. She then slowly rose from the blanket covers, her eyes still sleepy, and looked around the room, only stopping when she saw Grey.

"Gwey~ Carry me~..." [Yuna]

Yuna reached out her arms towards Grey as she asked with an adorable morning voice with her eyes still half open. Grey could only chuckle to himself as he observed the adorable creature before him that was his girlfriend.

The chair slid on the floor a little as Grey stood up from it. He then proceeded to approach Yuna, but rather than carrying out her request, he only unfurled her disheveled hair upwards and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

"I'd love to, but this isn't our house, you know. There are still other people around. I'll carry you next time, okay?" [Grey]

"Uuu...." [Yuna]

"Now, now, don't get too sad. In exchange, I'll do one of your requests!" [Grey]

There was a slight tinge of sadness over Yuna's sleepy face, but as soon as Grey said those words, it quickly disappeared as if it was snapped out of existence. Now, Yuna was looking at Grey's eyes, thinking what she should ask for.

"I want a hug..." [Yuna]

"Alright, a hug it is. Anything for my cute girlfriend." [Grey]

"Mmm..." [Yuna]

Grey gently sat down on the bed and slowly approached Yuna, and spreading his arms wide, he gave her a big, warm embrace. Yuna's head was leaning on Grey's chest, her ears listening closely to the music she loves, which was Grey's heartbeat.

Although Yuna acts very motherly towards children, when she is alone with Grey, the roles are quickly switched. Yuna acted like a spoiled child when she was alone with her boyfriend. The current scene was, in fact, something that happens often.

It looked like quite some time before Yuna let go of Grey. It was already time for breakfast when she did. If one of the servants didn't knock on the door to call them for breakfast, it would have lasted longer.

After breakfast, Grey and Yuna headed to the Adventurers' Guild to handle a few business regarding the awards of the raid. It was something that had been talked over with their audience with the King yesterday.

It was the usual when they entered the guild. There were lots of adventurers present and also lots of receptionist processing quests. It has been two weeks since Grey and Yuna saw such a sight.

"Are you perhaps Lord Grey and Lady Yuna?" [Staff]

Surprisingly, one of the staff members greeted the two of them as soon as they entered, bowing his head politely without making eye contact. He was another elf like the Guildmaster.

That staff member had been on stand by by the entrance as soon as the Guild opened. He had been instructed by the Guildmaster to wait for a pair of youths and escort them. He had never met Grey and Yuna and was only guided by a few descriptions the Guildmaster povided.

"Yeah, that's us." [Grey]

"I have been tasked by the Guildmaster to escort Their Excellencies. Please follow me to the office." [Staff]

As soon as the staff acquired their confirmation, he bowed his head once more before leading the two to the Guildmaster's office located at the third and topmost floor of the building.

Just like how fancy the guild was, the Guildmaster's office was also one fancier than Gaston's or Althea's. Throughout the walls, there were a multitude of paintings, large bookshelves, and many more.

The moment they headed inside, the staff member bowed his head for the last time before heading back to his work station. The only ones left in the room were Grey, Yuna, and the Guildmaster, who, like the others, was swamped with work.

"I have been waiting for you, Count Grey, Countess Yunaー or should I say, Your Highnesses, Archduke Grey, Archduchess Yuna?" [Velzier]

"N-No... Please just address us like usual, or rather, please just address us casually. Anything works as long as it isn't like that." [Grey]

"Un. It feels really weird being addressed like royalty," [Yuna]

A smile quickly spouted on the Guildmaster's words as he saw how reserved the twomacted when it came to titles. He was initially worried about how to address them at first, but now he knew that those were needless worries.

"Then, Lord Grey, Lady Yuna, I have already heard from His Majesty. Here is the reward for the raid, and the points have already been awarded to your guild cards."

Said the Guildmaster as he handed out a pouch to Grey and Yuna. Inside it were four crystals which looked like it contained the inside of it. They were moon crystals, a very large denomination which is equal to 10 million kiels each.

While 40 million kiels was an insanely impressive amount which could buy several estates, after earning billions of kiels inside the Labyrinth of Death, it seemed less impressive to their eyes.

"As it was considered to be a special quest at the level of an S-rank quest, both of you will receive 200 thousand quest points. With this, you are now eligible to take the A-rank promotion exam." [Velzier]

Grey and Yuna's total number of quest points was quickly multiplied 5 fold with Velzier's statement. It was an unprecedented amount which could make other adventurers' eyes pop out of their sockets.

While most adventurers would feel happy by such news, Grey and Yuna felt rather conflicted. It was a good thing for them to rank up, but if they did so, it would become more troublesome for them.

Grey and Yuna were already troubled when others became stiff around them after seeing their B-rank guild cards. They could only imagine how much more troublesome it will become if their guild cards become A-rank ones.

"Are you going to take the test right now?" [Velzier]

"Ah, no, we'll hold off on that.... Actually, is there any way to lower the rank of our cards?" [Grey]

"Lower them...?" [Velzier]

In order to clear up the Guildmaster's confusion, Grey and Yuna explained their circumstances to him as concise as they could. It didn't take long for the Guildmaster to understand as it wasn't exactly the first time he encountered such a situation.

While Grey and Yuna could resort to just using citizenship cards, there are two problems. First, they didn't want to be tied down to a country. And second, they wouldn't be able to go adventuring with them.

In the first place, the reason why the citizens choose to have citizenship cards was because of the privileges it brings them. They lower the taxes, give protection from the government, and much more. They were perks already covered by the privilege cards, in much better terms.

The occurrence of high-ranked quests were also very rare. Being C-rank in the guild was already enough for Grey and Yuna to take most quests. There weren't many reasons to raise their ranks in the guild.

"I see... While I can't lower your ranks, the guild might be able to provide you with alternate guild cards. I still need to send a message to the Grandmaster, but with how valuable you two are, I doubt it would be declined. Though... it might take some time before we get a reply." [Velzier]

"No, that's more than enough for us. Thank you." [Grey]

"Thank you very much, Guildmaster!" [Yuna]

"No worries. It is the duty of guildmasters to take care of the adventurers. I'm only doing my job." [Velzier]

After dealing with their id card issues, Grey and Yuna talked some more with the Guildmaster about a few more things related to the raid. They were only dismissed after a few minutes' time.

Grey and Yuna then walked back to the lobby as soon as they were dismissed by the Guildmaster. There, they saw two familiar faces, lining up at the counter as they processed the completion of their quests.

"Mister Kris, Miss Aria, when did you arrive at the capital?" [Grey]

"Oh, look who it is... We've just arrived yesterday evening. How about you? When we came back to Galderia, you were already gone." [Kris]

"Well, a lot of things happened. This led to that and because of it, we arrived here two weeks ago." [Grey]

"Two weeks, huh... You two sure were early..." [Kris]

As Grey talked to Kris, Yuna also talked to her fellow woman and elf, Aria. It might have been driven by instinct or because of their similarities, but every time they met, such a thing would always happen.

While they were talking, Grey suddenly remembered what had been discussed yesterday. Since Kris and Aria had just arrived, there was a big chance that they still have not received word of it.

"Ah, right. Mister Kris, Miss Aira, we've got something to tell you if you have the time. Although I believe His Majesty might tell you about it, I think it's better to inform you sooner rather than later." [Grey]

"If you're talking about His Majesty, then it must really be important... Sure, we'll hear you out." [Kris]

"You two, hold your horses. Remember that we're still inside the guild." [Aria]

Neither Grey nor Kris were going to talk about it then and there, but Aria still took the time to remind them. After all, they were still inside the guild with many eyes and ears present and ready to spread rumors.

"Lord Kris, Lady Aria, the processing of your quests has been finished. Here are your guild cards." [Receptionist]

"Ah, thanks." [Kris]

Kris and Aria quickly received their guild cards from the receptionist and the line moved up soon after. It only took them a moment to store them in their pockets before Kris continued his talk with Grey.

"Now that we're finished, do you know a good place to talk and eat? I'm still a little hungry from breakfast." [Kris]

"I don't know one, but I know where to find them." [Grey]

"Great! Let's get going then!" [Kris]

With nothing else to be done in the Adventurers' Guild, the four of them headed to a certain district where large numbers of restaurants and cafes were gathered. It was an area near the noble's district which was teeming with beautiful buildings.

The restaurant they entered was one neither one of them had experienced before. It was just close by the restaurant Yuna and Grey and dined in before, only less expensive as Grey had read their menu from a mile away.

Neither Grey and Yuna were hungry, but since they were joining in on Kris and Aria, the two thought they might as well eat as they were there already. This time, they only ordered an amount normal people could finish.

"Will this be all?" [Waiter]

"Yes, thank you." [Aria]

As soon as the waiter left, Grey instantly erected a sound barrier which prevents noises from getting in and going out. It was the perfect spell to prevent unwanted eavesdropping.

Just like how the King had explained it to them, Grey and Yuna explained the current situation to Kris and Aria, and after a few moments, they already had a complete grasp on things.

"It's Iblis again... Just why is it so hard to exterminate them!" [Kris]

"Hmm... It seems like we'll have to help out the kingdom again." [Aria]

"It's not like we have a choice anyway..." [Kris]

Their expressions differing from one another, Kris showed clear signs of frustration, while Aria only looked a little disappointed. Even then, both of them are actually in agreement in protecting the kingdom.

"On another note... Miss Aria, Mister Kris, why did you only just arrive yesterday. Did Cedric's letter arrive late?" [Grey]

"Nah, that ain't the case at all. We just received an important letter that we needed to attend to no matter what. Omitting the details, we had to travel to the Kingdom of Ingrasia because of it." [Kris]

"There was so much to be done that we were delayed for days. We are so lucky that we still made it on time." [Aria]

"Mn? Is it really something so important that you need to risk not being able to attend the award ceremony?" [Yuna]

When Yuna asked that question, the two suddenly froze for a little while. When they returned to normal, there was a slight rosy tint visible on their cheeks. Both were clearly a little embarrassed.

"Umm... That letter... It was sent by my family... and well... it has something to do with our wedding venue and date..." [Aria]

"Waah~! Congratulations, Miss Aria, Mister Kris!" [Yuna]

"Congratulations!" [Grey]

"Thank you." [Aria]

Grey and Yuna expressed their congratulations to the two as soon as they heard of their reason for being late. After all, marriage is one of the most important events in a person's life.

Although Grey felt genuinely happy for Kris and Aira, there was another emotion brewing inside his heart. It was the emotion of concern. Concern for Aria who was going to marry Kris

'Miss Aria, are you really sure about your decisions? Are you sure you won't regret this? It still isn't too late to back out.' [Grey]

Grey thought inwardly as he remembered what Yuna told him before about Kris. It was about how his confessions were always at the worst possible time and places. Especially the fact that he confessed while Aria was still bathing in the women's bath.

"Grey, you're thinking of something unpleasant, aren't you?" [Kris]

Kris, with his absurdly sharp perception, asked with his stares boring through Grey's skin. And as honest as the latter was, his eyes immediately shifted when the former asked such a question.

Grey continued to avoid Kris' suspicious glares, which only stopped when Grey changed the topic, successfully fending him off.

"A-Anyways, when will the wedding be happening?" [Grey]

"Trying to change the topic, huh. How shrewd... Well, about the date, it's still a work in progress. The only thing we know is that it will be happening in less than 3 months' time." [Kris]

"Huh? How come you don't have a date for your own wedding?" [Grey]

"Don't ask me that, ask Aria's family." [Kris]

As Grey and Yuna's eyes shifted to Aria's direction, the latter heaved a lengthy sigh and started explaining the situation. It was one which involved a lot of over enthusiastic and pampering family members.

Initially, Kris and Aria wanted to have their wedding next month, but Aria's family suddenly said that they wanted them to have the best possible wedding ever, with their eyes burning with passion.

Aria's family wanted to build the venue themselves to ensure that the wedding would really be the best and surprise Kris and Aria. It was the reason why the two to be wed had no idea when exactly the wedding would be held.

"Seriously, we could have just done it in a large church and worked the designs there onwards. I'm sure we'll still have the best wedding even then." [Kris]

"I know it was only out of good intentions, but I wished they still let us help them..." [Aria]

"Well, that's just how family is." [Grey]

"Mmm... Mister Kris, how about your family?" [Yuna]

Yuna asked curiously with an innocent face, but when she did, an awkward silence devoured the once merry atmosphere. Kris in particular became a little dejected as he heard those words.

"Uh,.. Umm... Did I say something wrong?" [Yuna]

"No, you said nothing wrong. Well, about your question... you see... I am an orphan, so I never really met them. All I know is that by the time I became conscious, I was already in an orphanage. I don't even know if my parents are alive." [Kris]

It was an unexpected answer. Neither Grey nor Yuna had anticipated that Kris' life was actually like that. After all, Kris has always been a cheerful soul who seemed like he hasn't been through any hardships in life.

"S... Sorry..." [Yuna]

"Hahaha, you don't have to be. It isn't anyone's fault, and I'm not particularly looking for someone to blame. Rather, I'm thankful I grew up there. There, I had the best family that I could have ever wished for. It was because of them that I became who I am today." [Kris]

"Don't worry about it too much, Yuna. Kris is a tough nut. Something like that won't hurt him." [Aria]

"Hahaha, that's right! You really do know me well, Aria." [Kris]

"I'm your fiancée, after all." [Aria]

Aria said calmly but her face begged to differ. She has become red all the way to the ears after saying those words. She might usually banter with Kris, but her love for him was as strong as she was.

While Aria was caught up in the embarrassment she brought to herself, Kris, who was beside him was thinking up of something as he looked at Grey and Yuna who were in front of him.

"Grey, Yuna, why don't you attend as my younger siblings?" [Kris]

""Eh?!"" [Grey and Yuna]

Kris once again said another unexpected and absurd statement. He just kept on surprising Grey and Yuna with every chance he got, and while wearing a nonchalant expression as well.

"Well, the director of the orphanage is already gone, and the ones I knew are already living their own lives. I don't even know where they are right now. To tell you the truth, I don't have anyone attending on my side. If it isn't too much to ask, I'd like it if you'd attend as part of my family." [Kris]

"Even if we agree, Mister Kris, are you really sure about that?!" [Yuna]

"That's right, Mister Kris. We haven't met each other that long yet!" [Grey]

"Haah... What a bunch of kids you are... It's not about how long we've known each other. It's about what we have experienced together and the relationship we formed in that span of time.

While it is a fact that we've only known each other for a little over 5 months, it's also a fact that in those times, we've participated in a raid together, recaptured a bunch of criminals together, and participated in the labyrinth together.

Point is, we haven't done anything normal in those 5 months, so why should we abide by normal conditions? What we have done together is proof that there is at least some sort of bond between us." [Kris]

Kris gave Grey and Yuna a lengthy and elaborate explanation, preventing the two of them from trying to argue back against him. They both just stand there like kids getting lectured by their parents.

Not minding the arguing part, Grey and Yuna saw a lot of points in where Kris was right. Even though they only met a few times a week at most, they were already past being acquaintances and have already become friends. There was no reason to refuse Kris' invitation.

"Haah... Alright, just tell us when the wedding is when it's finalized. We're going to attend it no matter what." [Grey]

"But, Grey, are you really sure about it...?" [Yuna]

"Yeah, I am. We won't lose anything in agreeing to it anyways." [Grey]

"I guess you're right..." [Yuna]

"Great! Then that's settled!" [Kris]

A large smile bloomed on Kris' face upon hearing Grey and Yuna's acceptance to his invitation. Aria, who was beside him, although not smiling as much, was just as happy.

Coincidentally, by the time everyone finished deciding about the wedding, the food they ordered finally arrived on their table. It was time for them to have their second breakfast!

CHAPTER 96 END

9