Chapter 128: Memories Never Forgotten
259 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Boots strapped, coat worn, and equipment ready. It was still early in the morning yet Grey and Yuna were already prepared for an adventure. An adventure unlike their other ones. It was an adventure towards the Elven Kingdom, Ingrasia.

It has been a few days since Grey and Yuna shopped together. Thankfully, they were able to buy everything they needed. While the wines and music box cost quite a sum, they were nothing compared to the fabrics before. Those ones were just absurd and extremely expensive.

Having readied themselves, Grey and Yuna did a last tour around the town, greeting their acquaintances for the last time before heading out. The last place they headed to were the southern gates were stationed in.

"Oh, so you're going to Ingrasia this time, huh... Must be nice, I also wanted to explore the world when I was younger..." [Dale]

Mumbled Dale as he reminisced about his past. He was not even that old to begin with, yet the way he was acting made him seem like an elderly man. It only made Grey and Yuna chuckle a little.

"Well, I guess you'll be staying there for quite some time, huh... Make sure to take care of each other, kay?" [Dale]

"Un! We'll surely do!" [Yuna]

"Hahaha, that's the spirit! Now, why don't you get moving already? You still have quite the long journey ahead of you." [Dale]

"Yeah... And see you later, Mister Dale." [Grey]

"Bye~!" [Yuna]

Waving their hands goodbye, Grey and Yuna slowly headed off towards the horizon. With each second passing, their figures became smaller and smaller until they were completely out of sight. Their journey has now started.

After heading out of town, Grey and Yuna ran diagonally into the direction of the forest, searching for a clear area to do their bidding. Of course, they weren't just going to travel on foot. They had wings to rely on, after all.

"Come out, Sirius." [Grey]

At Grey's behest, the wind in the forest started to waver and the ground trembled slightly. Soon after, a magnificent figure took form, one which resembled that of a platinum-scaled dragon, fearsome yet beautiful.

"Hmm... It's been quite a while since we've seen you in this form. How are you feeling, Sirius?" [Grey]

"I'm more than fine, Master." [Sirius]

Replied Sirius as she stretched out her wings into the open air. She has usually been in her wolf pup form and now that she was in her real form, she felt a little strange. Well, not that it can hinder any of her abilities.

"Good morning, Sirius." [Yuna]

"A lovely morning as well, Mistress." [Sirius]

After stretching her wings and whipping her tail a little, Sirius knelt to the ground and lowered her wings. Even without Grey and Yuna telling her what to do, she already knew what she was summoned for and was simply performing her duty. She was more than happy to be of help.

"Sorry to trouble you again, Sirius, but we'll be in your care." [Grey]

"This is no trouble at all, Master. This one is more than happy to serve." [Sirius]

As soon as Grey and Yuna were on her back, Sirius spread her wings openly as much as she could and in just a mere fraction of a second, she flapped her wings powerfully, bringing forth bursts of winds and sending herself hundreds of meters up into the sky.

A few more flaps later, she was already at the level of the clouds. It was white on the level of the eyes, blue on the sky above, and green on the ground below. There was a clear separation of colors.

"Master, Mistress, please hold on tight." [Sirius]

Giving a final warning, Sirius once again flapped her wings, covering a couple hundred meters in an instant. On her wake, the clouds parted half as she continued to soar through the vast sky.

Violent winds and interfering clouds of dust. None were able to pass through Grey's barrier. While they would just be fine without one, it would be more comfortable with it. It felt like they were just having a picnic on Sirius' back.

For hours which passed and hours to come, there was only green as far as the eyes could see. They have already entered the outskirts of the Haltea Great Forest. It was one which covered everything as far as the eyes could see.

Taking breaks here and there, the journey continued. Night fell and they took a short rest, only continuing when the sky was awake once again. Compared to the three and a half day journey before, it only took them more than a day to return, return to the place where it all began.

"Sirius, land over there." [Grey]

"As you wish." [Sirius]

Heeding Grey's words, Sirius slowed down the beat of her wings, their altitude lowering by the second. It didn't take long before they landed on the lush grounds, surrounded by the dense forest.

As soon as they landed, Grey and Yuna's eyes immediately looked around the place. It has been a little more than seven months since they departed yet the forest hasn't changed a little bit. It was just like how they remembered it to be.

"Then, I'll be going back to the shadows now, Master, Mistress. I hope you enjoy the rest of the day." [Sirius]

"Ah, yeah... Thank you for your service." [Grey]

"Thank you, Sirius!" [Yuna]

A smile appearing on her rigid looking face, Sirius vanished as suddenly as she appeared. Her eye-catching platinum scales vanished into thin air. The only thing to be seen was a small shadow merging back to Grey and Yuna's own.

Walking down the forest, under the canopies of the massive trees, Grey and Yuna could hear a familiar symphony ringing in their ears. The chirping of the insects, the tweeting of the birds, the rustling of the leaves, and the gentle trickling of the little creeks. They were all music to their ears.

A couple more minutes of walking, a familiar and precious scenery greeted them. Standing before them was a shabby-looking cabin in the middle of the forest. To some, it may just look odd and strange, to Grey and Yuna, it was home. A place which contained countless memories.

Still not uttering a single word, Grey and Yuna slowly entered the cabin. A little creak resounded across the quiet forest as the door opened. Inside was a precious sight. The chairs, desks, cabinets, and every single furniture they treasured were still around. It made them feel nostalgic.

"Hmm... This surely is amazing..." [Yuna]

"Hm? What is?" [Grey]

"The house... Even though it's been months, there's no dust and such. Everything's perfectly clean." [Yuna]

Said Yuna, sliding her finger across one of the cabinets near her. Even when she slid her finger, not a single speck of dust gathered. It wasn't only the cabinet, every other piece of furniture and even the floor was clean and spotless.

"Aww... I wish our new house was like this too..." [Yuna]

"Hahaha, that would surely be nice. Too bad there's nothing we could do about it... Anyway, how about we have a little early lunch? I'm itching to use the kitchen here again after a long time." [Grey]

"Un! Then I'll help you out!" [Yuna]

"That would be most welcome, Milady." [Grey]

Heading to the kitchen, Grey and Yuna then prepared a quick lunch for the both of them. It may have been a while but they still remembered where everything was and cooking was just as easy.

The sun reaching its Zenith and the day at eleven, a hot and steamy lunch was served over the dining table. It was one which Grey and Yuna enjoyed with big smiles across their faces, all the while laughing at they chatted merrily.

After lunch, they continued their tour of the house and out in the vicinity. The small herd farms Yuna made were still there and were ready to be harvested. She was more than happy to do so.

"Grey, I'll be going now." [Yuna]

"Alright. Do you remember the way there?" [Grey]

"Un! Don't worry, I know it like the back of my hand." [Yuna]

"Then, as a lucky charm..." [Grey]

Without any warning, Grey approached Yuna and parted her hair upwards. He then gave Yuna a gentle kiss on the forehead. It may be just a simple gesture but it contained all of Grey's sincere feelings.

"Take care of yourself, alright?" [Grey]

"Un!" [Yuna]

A smile on her face and her cheeks painted with a slight tint of red, Yuna waved her hand and headed out of the house. A few moments later, she was out of Grey's sight and only the lush, dense sea of trees could be seen.

As for Grey, there are two reasons why he stayed behind. The first was that he wanted Yuna to have time for herself when she heads to her destination. The second one was more of an urgent matter. There were a lot of things he needed to prepare for the day. It was going to be busy.

"Alright, let's get this started!" [Grey]

His eyes brimming with determination, Grey took out large amounts of ingredients and a similarly large amount of cooking tools. The flames were lit ablaze and the faucet started running. It was time for battle! A battle against time!"

...

Tall trees, horned rabbits hopping, and deers grazing at ferns. There were a lot of things to be seen across the vast forest. While it was dominated by green, there were also a lot of colors to be seen, from dull grays to vibrant blues. It was a fantastic world hidden beneath the canopies.

Along this dense forest, a certain figure was running along faster than the wind yet silent and gentle. Her silver hair fluttering in the air and her eyes gleaming like deep blue sapphire. It was none other than Yuna.

Yuna ran for several minutes covering kilometers of distance. Her face the whole time wore expressions of loneliness, yet strangely, there was a mile on her face. Along the way, suddenly, she halted. She has arrived.

Unlike the other parts of the forest, her destination was much more barren. While there were grasses and bushes all over, the trees were far and few in between. It was a place Yuna was too familiar with. A place where Grey saved her.

"Mom, Dad, everyone, I'm back." [Yuna]

A lonely voice echoed in the air as Yuna approached two large slabs of stones buried on the ground. It was her parents' graves, and around them were the gravestones of her former village members.

Yuna knelt gently on the soft, green grass, sweeping away the dust and debris gathered with her delicate hands. With just a little cleaning, the letters carved on the stones were revealed.

"Sorry it took me so long to visit. I've just been too busy..." [Yuna]

Yuna continued to clean the gravestones, removing the overgrown plants and weeds in the vicinity. There was sadness and loneliness in her eyes but her voice and actions remained calm.

"Mom, Dad, do you know...? I've achieved my dreams. I have been to a lot of places, I've also eaten lots of sweets, and I've had the honor of helping a lot of people. You must be surprised, aren't you?" [Yuna]

Continued Yuna. Now, she was squatting on the ground, looking at her parents' gravestones with similar lonely eyes. Even then, she continued to talk with them, passing the time away.

"Ah, right.... And do you know about the boy I've told you before? W... Well, n-now he's my boyfriend. I-I know it might be too early for me, b-but...! I really, really like him! A-And you don't need to worry, he's very kind! I'm sure he'll always take care of me, always by my side..." [Yuna]

Now, a flustered expression appeared on Yuna's face. It was as if her parents were really there. Her expressions, tone of voice, and every body movements, she didn't seem like she was alone at all.

For hours to come, Yuna continued talking by herself, telling hundreds of stories about what happened over her adventures with Grey. There are times she looked lonely, times she looked happy, and of course, times she looked flustered. She was very expressive.

"Ah...! When did it get so late?" [Yuna]

By the time she noticed, it was already late in the afternoon. She had so much fun talking to her parents' graves that she didn't realize how quickly time flew by. It was time for her to go back.

"Then... I'll see you later, Mom, Dad... Bye~..." [Yuna]

A lonely expression about on her face, Yuna stood up and turned around, heading back to where she came from. The place has turned quiet once again. The only difference was that it was much cleaner and flowers of all kinds could be seen all over the graveyard.

The sun setting down on the horizon, Yuna went home. On the way home, the forest was much darker and quieter. Different animals were present than in the morning and the stars started to climb the sky.

"I'm back.....?" [Yuna]

A puzzled expression could be seen on Yuna's face as soon as she walked inside the house. The interior looked much different than when she left. It was much more vibrant and the scent of food wafted everywhere.

"Welcome back. How did things go?" [Grey]

"It went smoothly, but... what's the occasion? Why is there so much food? The place looks livelier as well." [Yuna]

Asked Yuna, her eyes continuing to look around the house. As for Grey, there was a peculiar expression on his face, one which contained traces of shock and disbelief as he looked at Yuna time and time again.

"You silly, girl... It seems you've forgotten again. It's your birthday." [Grey]

"My birthday... Eh?! That was today?!" [Yuna]

Compared to when they celebrated Yuna's birthday for the first time, it wasn't Grey who was shocked, but rather Yuna. She has been so preoccupied with thinking about visiting her parents' graves that it completely slipped her mind.

There was a little hint of surprise on her face for a little bit, but that surprise soon turned into happiness as a smile bloomed on her face. She was very touched by Grey's efforts and couldn't express how thankful she was.

"Happy birthday." [Grey]

Along his greeting, Grey planted yet another kiss on Yuna, this time, on her cheeks. At the same time, Grey gave her a present neatly and beautifully wrapped in wrapping paper bought at the time of Eliza's birthday.

"This is... Can I open it?" [Yuna]

"Sure, go ahead." [Grey]

With Grey's permission, Yuna quickly tore apart the wrapping paper, revealing the gift inside. It was a book which was quite thick. It was something Grey made with his own hands and something which took a lot of effort as well.

Curiously, Yuna opened the books and read its contents. It was one formatted after the textbooks Grey had read in his past life. Yuna stopped at the table of contents, her eyes shocked by quite a bit as she read the words contained.

"Grey, this is...!" [Yuna]

"That's right. It contains everything I know about alchemy. I figured it would be useful for your hobby. Do you like it?" [Grey]

"Un! I love it!" [Yuna]

Overwhelmed by happiness, Yuna jumped into Grey's arms and gave him a tight embrace. Yuna's actions were so sudden that Grey didn't manage to catch her perfectly and the two of them fell to the ground. Even then, bright smiles could be found on their faces.

"Happy birthday, Mistress." [Sirius]

"Mistress, congratulations on turning 17!" [Canopus]

"Mistress, happy, happy, happy birthday!" [Kentaurus]

"Congratulations on this joyous occasion, Mistress." [Arcturus]

After Grey, it was the familiars' turn to greet Yuna. While they didn't have any presents like Grey, Yuna was already satisfied with their thoughts. She all gave them a tight hug, indulging in their fluffiness.

As for Grey, he went to the kitchen to get a certain something. When he returned, he had a telephone with him and a large, warm smile on his face, heading to Yuna who was currently cuddling with the familiars.

"Yuna, here, there's a call for you." [Grey]

"A call?" [Yuna]

"Yes. It's quite urgent, so I suggest you answer it immediately." [Grey]

Still a little confused, Yuna received the phone from Grey. She then answered the call, but...

"Hellー" [Yuna]

「Happy birthday, Elder Sister Yuna! Congratulations on your seventeenth birthday! I hope you have another happy year」 [Eliza]

... Yuna couldn't even finish her first word, she was already interrupted by Eliza's energetic greeting. Yuna couldn't be any more surprised as she glanced at Grey's direction. The latter was only smiling.

「Elder Sister Yuna, are you still there...?」 [Eliza]

"A-Ah, yes. I'm still here... How did you know it was my birthday?" [Yuna]

「Ah, that... Elder Brother Grey told me just this afternoon. I'm upset that Elder Sister Yuna didn't tell me earlier. I could've sent you a gift...」 [Eliza]

"No, that's fine. I'm already happy right now." [Yuna]

Once again, Yuna's eyes glanced at Grey. While she didn't know how long Grey had planned it nor how much effort Grey had exerted, she knew everything he did was sincere. Although silent, her mouth moved, pronouncing the words "thank you". She was very happy.

After Eliza, Fritz and Polaris gave their greetings. A few more people followed suit in greeting her. Everyone greeted her in their own ways, and she was thankful for each and every one of them. The smile on her face didn't fade at all.

Following the greetings, it was time for dinner to commence. It was only then that Yuna realized once again how Grey had cooked. Not only the kitchen and dining room, there was even food displayed over the living room.

"Waah~! There's so much food." [Yuna]

"Hahaha, well, this is all going to disappear into our stomachs soon. So... How about we start the feast already?!" [Grey]

"U-Un!" [Yuna]

Excited as one can be, Yuna sat on the dining table whilst Grey served her. Yuna wanted to help out in serving the dishes, but Grey insisted on doing it himself. He wanted Yuna to just relax on her birthday.

"Mnm! Delicious!" [Yuna]

"Haha, I'm glad you like it. Now, why don't you try this one too? They're lobsters I chanced upon back at Galderia. I also glazed it with a special sauce. I'm sure you'll like it." [Grey]

Lured by Grey's words, Yuna opened her mouth wide as Grey fed her the said lobster. The moment it entered her mouth, an explosion of flavor burst on her tongue. She could only squeal quietly but her face was screaming how happy she was. It was amongst the best dishes she had eaten.

Dinner continued and Grey joined in as well. Chatting, laughing, and teasing one another. A lot of things happened over the dining table. Of course, the familiars joined them as well, having their own portions.

After dinner, the celebration did not stop. Grey and Yuna played some board games with one another. As usual, it was chess. Yuna was still hung up on her losses and wanted to win very badly. Her eyes were alight with determination.

Currently, Grey and Yuna are already on their sixth game. As one would expect, Grey had won all the previous five matches. But now, everything is different. With a final move from Yuna, everything was decided.

"I... I won! Yay~! I finally won against Grey~!" [Yuna]

"I lost, huh..." [Grey]

Excitedly, Yuna celebrated her first win against Grey by jumping cheerfully up and down. It has been more than two weeks since Yuna played against Grey for the first time. It was only natural that she was happy after countless losses.

Grey was returning the chess pieces to their right pieces when Yuna suddenly stopped hopping around and approached Grey from behind. She then gave her another hug, her face beet red as one would expect.

"Grey, thank you... For everything, be it the past, the present, or the future... Thank you..." [Yuna]

A gentle and sweet voice reached Grey's ears. His heart raced wildly as a smile appeared on his face. He couldn't see Yuna's expression, but he knew it was like his, red and flushed.

"Don't mention it... How about we play another game?" [Grey]

"Un!" [Yuna]

The game of chess continued and unlike the sixth match, Yuna continued losing again and again. Grey had gotten more serious now and so, things only became troublesome for Yuna. In the end, the tally was 13-1 in Grey's favor. It was Yuna's defeat.

The night went deeper and the stars gleamed brighter. Just like the day 3 years ago, on Yuna's fourteenth birthday, what happened today will be forever carved into their hearts. An unforgettable and precious memory.

CHAPTER 128 END

6