Chapter 133: Dungeon Break
235 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The air was fresh and clean as Grey and Yuna walked through the sparse forest. The closer they came to the village, the less trees there were to be seen until a large meadow greeted them at the forest's edge.

It was just a little past lunch and Grey and Yuna had already spent their free time meaningfully. Not only did they play games, they also enjoyed a hearty meal together, all so that they arrived back on the time expected of F-rankers.

The leisurely life Grey and Yuna dreamed of were now in their grasps. They never knew a normal life would be so relaxing, free from the formalities and expectations which once bound them. For the first time in a long while, they felt free.

"Oh! The adventurers! The adventurers are back!" [Soldier]

The very moment the soldiers saw their silhouettes over a distance, a joyous and festive atmosphere quickly enveloped them. After all, their return only meant one thing. It was that they succeeded.

The leader of the soldiers in particular was acting like he was on cloud nine as he rushed over Grey and Yuna. Excited and relieved expressions evident on his face as he anticipated hearing the news from the two's mouths directly.

"S-So, how did it go?" [Soldier]

"It went swimmingly." [Grey]

"Un! You won't have to worry about the orcs anymore." [Yuna]

"Y-Yes!!"

"Ohh!! It's a success!!"

The celebratory noises only grew louder and louder with Grey and Yuna's declaration of victory. The soldiers couldn't be any more thankful that their issues and worries have now been resolved.

"Haha, sorry for the soldier's rowdiness. How about I escort you two back to where the Chief is?" [Soldier]

"Thank you, that would be much appreciated." [Grey]

Led by the soldier, Grey and Yuna once again entered the village. While they already knew where the Village Chief was, there was no harm in being guided by the soldiers. Such an act would make everyone at ease.

News spread fast inside the village. The villagers which were once harboring anxiety in their hearts, now went on about their daily lives with smiles void of worry. The village has returned to its previous merry state.

"I-Is that really true...?!" [Chief]

The Chief was still in disbelief even after Grey and Yuna told him the good news. It was only when Grey took out the drops that the Chief believed them, breathing out a sigh of relief and his body trembling a little ase took a seat.

"Haah... Thank god, thank god..." [Chief]

Mumbled the Chief under his voice. He had previously considered moving the villagers and abandoning their beloved village when worse comes to worst, but now, there was no need for such a plan. Everything has been fully resolved.

The tension he had to bear on his shoulders for the past few weeks has now fully dissipated as if it has never been there to begin with. If it weren't for his old age and aged bones, he would have jumped for joy already.

"Oh, where are my manners... Have you had lunch already, Mister Shin, Miss Elena? If you don't mind, we have a couple sandwiches here." [Chief]

"Ah, thanks..." [Grey]

"Thank you." [Yuna]

Although Grey and Yuna just had their lunch, refusing the Chief's offer would just be rude. Well, that and the fact that the sandwiches offered looked quite enticing. They still have space in their stomachs anyways.

The sandwich was only quite simple. They were just ham, cheese, and lettuce placed between two pieces of bread. Well, it may be simple, but the amount of cheese was generous. The slice was quite the thick one.

""Thank you for the food!"" [Grey and Yuna]

In unison, Grey and Yuna said their prayers and soon after, they both took a bite of their sandwiches, their eyes opening widely in shock as soon as they did. There was a subtle deliciousness despite the simplicity of the ingredients used.

What stands out the most from the ingredients was the cheese. It was one which resembled one of the famous brands of cheese Grey had when he was still back on Earth. One which easily melted into one's tongue. It brought about some nostalgia from his childhood and teenage days.

If the bread used was white bread and if there was also mayonnaise and egg present on the mix, it would have been perfect. Nevertheless, it was satisfactory, perfect for a quick breakfast or a little afternoon snack.

"Chief! This cheese! Can you give some to us?!" [Grey]

"Y-Yes...?" [Chief]

A sudden outburst came from Grey, shocking not only the Chief, but the soldier and Yuna as well. Grey wasn't going to let go of such an opportunity. It was a chance for him to upgrade his arsenal of dairy products.

After all, Grey was one who reveres cheese with utmost respect. There was even a time back on Earth where he put cheese on every single dish he could think of. One could even say that he was a cheese enthusiast, a breed who would go to war for the sake of cheese.

"Ah... Sorry, I got too excited there. Let me rephrase it... This cheese... I'd like to buy some of it if there is still stock available." [Grey]

Calming down a little, Grey sat back down, cleared his throat, and asked a little request of the Chief. His eyes were full of seriousness as he crossed his hands together. It was as if the deal concerned life and death itself.

"Well, we do have some stock of cheese at hand... How much would you like to buy, Mister Shin?" [Chief]

"How much is available?" [Grey]

It wasn't only Grey. The Chief also switched to merchant mode once he sensed the smell of profit. He was just like any other merchant which could be found back at the Merchants' Guild, cunning and sly, their eyes always fixated on profit.

Two similar-sounding laughter echoed in the Chief's house as a deal was being made. Of course, the ones laughing were none other than Grey and the Chief who were now haggling with one another like those old uncles and aunties you see a lot in the market.

Grey didn't even need to haggle with how much money he has. The atmosphere in the room just pushed him into haggling, and before he knew it, he was already asking for discounts as he was buying cheese in bulk. Even he was terrified and impressed by his own bravado.

In the end, Grey managed to buy a lot of cheese for a price cheaper than what would be seen in the market. It was an amount which could last him and Yuna for years to come by. A magnificent gain indeed.

"Thank you for the cheese, Chief." [Grey]

"Huhuhu, no worries. We also profited a lot as well." [Chief]

"Well, it was a good deal, after all." [Grey]

They have only known one another for a couple hours yet the Chief and Grey already looked like old friends. Even Yuna found it hard to butt in their conversation with how they were acting. She was a little bit intimidated by the world of merchants.

"Then, we'll be going back to Torvis now. See you next time!" [Grey]

"Huhuhu, we'll meet again if fate wills it." [Chief]

"Goodbye, everyone~! Take care of yourselves~!" [Yuna]

More time passed and it was time for Grey and Yuna to depart. Following their previous routes and avoiding the sudden urge to forage fruits, the two of them managed to return in just several minutes.

By the time Grey and Yuna entered the city, it was already late in the afternoon. The town was much quieter compared to when it was back in the morning. Well, the same couldn't be said for the Adventurers' Guild.

Having just returned from their own quests, the adventurers are crowding in all kinds of counters and desks. It was not an exaggeration to say that it would take Grey and Yuna god knows how long if they were to line up at such a busy hour. All they could do was wait around.

Well, it wasn't really that boring, especially with such interesting topics floating around the guild. There was an especially interesting rumor amongst them...

"Hey, I've heard there was a dungeon break over at Kallum!"

"A dungeon break, huh... What bad luck..."

"Should we evacuate from the city now? It's getting unsettling..."

"Ha, you cowards! And you call yourselves adventurers!"

It was not just one or two people. Most of the adventurers and staff members in the guild knew that such a thing was happening. Some were laughing, but deep inside, all of them were anxious over such a thing happening.

Dungeons, unlike the Ten Great Labyrinths, are only temporary and won't go through regular periods of inactivity. It is much less extensive and has much fewer monsters. There is also only one treasure to be found which is after the boss is defeated.

The dungeons are ranked from H to S regarding depth and danger. The higher the rank, the deeper and more expansive the dungeons are. Just like the Labyrinths, the monsters also progressively get stronger with the dungeon depth increasing. There also aren't any elemental boosts or the sort. Only pure monsters.

Dungeons spawn anywhere where large amounts of mana have gathered, and will only disappear once either of the two conditions are fulfilled. Either the dungeon is cleared, or the time limit runs out.

In the first scenario, only those which are of lower ranks are cleared immediately. For those which are ranked E or higher, they are prevented from being cleared for the sake of profits, only clearing it once the time limit is almost up.

When the dungeon still remains uncleared until the time limit runs out, it will gather enormous amounts of mana and until it breaks itself. The collapse of a dungeon is a phenomenon called a "Dungeon Break".

Except for the people inside, the Dungeon Break itself is not dangerous. What worries people is what comes after it. Because the mana it gathered was not just for display. It will create large amounts of monsters and send them forth in a random direction, led by the boss. This phenomenon is called a "Monster Flood".

Its random nature is what makes it so dangerous. While people know there was a Dungeon Break, they still wouldn't be able to prepare for the upcoming Monster Flood. It was a worrying situation.

"It was a B-rank dungeon as well..."

"Doesn't that mean the boss will be A-rank?"

"Dammit... Why is this happening...?"

Time passed some more yet anxiety brewed around the guild all the same. The atmosphere was more than gloomy and depressing, it was suffocating. Even those who were joking earlier now had dark expressions over their faces.

Well, it was only natural. After all, Torvis was the nearest city to Kallum. If by chance, the direction the Monster Flood was towards them, it would be hard to tell what would happen. Even with the walls protecting them, they don't feel safe at all.

"Next, please." [Receptionist]

Before they knew it, it was already Grey and Yuna's turn to the reception desk. The receptionist was trying herself to present a beautiful smile, but it was evident that she was also anxious as seen from her eyes which have been twitching from time to time.

"We'd like to process this quest, please." [Grey]

"Yes. Please wait a moment." [Receptionist]

The receptionist's focus was quickly shifted to processing the quest as soon as she got the quest paper and the guild cards. Despite her worries, she still did her work properly without messing up even a little bit.

It was Grey and Yuna's first quest to be recorded in their new card, and somehow, they felt a little tinge in their hearts. It was the feeling of excitement when their first quests were being processed.

"Here you go, Mister Shin, Miss Elena. Your quest has been processed. And here is your reward." [Receptionist]

"Thank you." [Yuna]

Compared to their usual earnings, the one they earned today wasn't much, but it doesn't make it any less special. Well, considering they got a lot of good cheese for cheap, it was actually a good day.

After their business at the guild, the next destination was other than the "Silver Sky Pavilion". Just about the time they arrived at the inn, dinner was also in the corner. The delicious scent of elven cuisine wafted through the air.

"Oh, you're back, Miss Elena, Mister Shin." [Inn Receptionist]

Of course, with dinner underway, it was only natural that the dining hall was filled with hungry people. Even when the receptionist greeted their entrance, she was moving around, serving people their orders as a waitress

"Miss Kaela, we'd love to order dinner as well." [Grey]

"Oh, a moment please!" [Kaela]

Thankfully, there were still seats available around the dining hall and so, Grey and Yuna were able to take a spot. They excitedly took their seats, waving their hands slightly to call the attention of the waitress.

While the ingredients and spices were similar, the food in the menu was prepared quite differently. The meat was sliced into thinner and finer pieces, and there were a lot more fruits in the dishes. It was leaned to the sweet and sour side that the elves love so much.

Well, a change of cuisine isn't much of a problem for the two. No matter how they are prepared or cooked, all that mattered to Grey and Yuna was that they were delicious. They were both looking forward to it.

"Haah... What are we going to do...?"

"Hey, quit it already. Just think positive!"

"Positive, my ass. It's a dungeon break, you know? A dungeon break!"

"Oi, you two! Keep your voice down!"

Unfortunately, even when they had already returned to the inn, the rumors about the dungeon break still kept chasing them. By now, most people in Torvis have already heard about it. It wasn't a pleasant situation at all.

In just a couple short moments, the atmosphere in the dining hall did a quick 180. Now, the bright smiles were gone, replaced only with worried faces. Some of those who were eating couldn't even taste the food they were eating anymore.

"Sorry for the wait. What would you like to order?" [Kaele]

"Ah, I'll have mermel stew, white bread, sweet and sour stir-fried vegetables, quail egg-drop soup, and apple pie. 3 serving each, please." [Yuna]

"For me, I'll have the same as Elena. Three more servings." [Grey]

"O-Oh, yes...." [Kaela]

It wasn't the first time Grey and Yuna ordered food at the inn, yet Kaele still couldn't get used to it. She was especially surprised when it came to Yuna. After all, the latter doesn't even look like she could finish even half of a single serving yet she orders three. It was nothing short of astonishing.

Still wearing a surprised face, Kaela headed back to the kitchen to relay the two's orders to the cooks. Just like her, the cooks were also very surprised to learn only two people ordered so much food. It was enough of a shock to make them forget about their previous anxiety.

A few minutes later, Kaela came back to the table, or rather, she came back and forth to the table multiple times. Thankfully, the table was large enough to hold Grey and Yuna's order. It was just barely enough.

""Thank you for the meal!"" [Grey and Yuna]

Without any more delays, Grey and Yuna took a spoon on one hand and a fork on the other. A couple more seconds later, they quickly dug in on their food with large, excited smiles blooming on their faces.

Each bite was delicious and satisfying. The white bread was soft and tasty, the stew was savory and not too overpowering, the fried vegetables weren't too oily either, and even the simple-looking egg-drop soup tasted special. Each dish was outstanding in their own ways.

"Mmn~! Sweet and tasty!" [Yuna]

"Oh, it really is..." [Grey]

Of course, their dessert was just as special. Not only was the presentation beautiful, the moment you cut the pie and took a slice out, you could see its sticky syrups dripping from it, syrups which just screamed a fruity sweetness.

Seeing the white bread, Grey also wanted to try out the cheese he just got. Just thinking about the new dishes he could make with his newly acquired dairy ingredient was enough to make him feel giddy. He was excited.

Slowly but surely, the number of dishes on the table dwindled until there were only a couple more bites left. A few more seconds later, even those were wiped clean. The ones responsible were wearing satisfied expressions on their faces.

Well, dinner would have been perfect if a certain rumor wasn't spreading around. While it couldn't be helped with the situation as it is, it totally ruined the hearty mood which was once blanketing the dining hall.

"It's the dungeon break again, huh..." [Kaela]

Kaela mumbled as she picked up another set of used dishes after the customers. Grey and Yuna who were nearby her at the moment couldn't help but overhear her voice. It was one full of concern and anxiety.

"What do you think about it, Miss Kaela...? The dungeon break, I mean." [Grey]

"Haah... What else could I say about it? Of course it's scary. Not to mention it was a B-rank dungeon as well, no wonder people are getting restless." [Kaela]

Shaking her head slightly, Kaela answered Grey's question. She then continued where she left off and continued collecting the plates and tablewares Grey and Yuna had just used.

"Well, I still have some work to do. See you later, Mister Shin, Miss Elena." [Kaela]

The trays full, Kaela headed back to the kitchen to drop off the dishes. Meanwhile, Grey and Yuna also went on their own way and headed upstairs towards their bedroom. It was already late in the night, after all.

While not as much as the people from before, Grey and Yuna were also concerned about the dungeon break. They wanted to help, but without knowing which direction the monster flood was heading to, they were completely helpless.

"Grey, I'm worried..." [Yuna]

"Yeah, me too... But right now, there's only one thing we could do." [Grey]

"Mmm... So it's like that, huh..." [Yuna]

Grey and Yuna were already pretty sorry for always relying on them, but with the current situation being as it is, they are the only ones they could trust. It was going to be yet another tedious task.

After heading inside of their room, four little blue birds appeared out of nowhere. Whispers then resounded in the air as Grey and Yuna opened their mouths. The birds leaving outside the window soon after, flying out into the open night.

The birds, little yet mighty, flew up towards the nightly sky, high above the array of clouds. They soared high enough that even the large town looked but a speck of dust in their eyes. It was a lonely night.

...

Far away, across the rivers and mountains, under the gentle light from the moon and stars in the sky above, an army marched uniformly towards a certain direction, unrelenting and persisting through the uneven terrain.

Eyes of red glowed in the dark and mortifying screeches filled air. Pillars of clouds rose to the sky and the ground trembled at every passing second, such a scene could be observed over a large area.

The marching army was none other than the monster flood, composed of thousands, if not tens of thousands of monsters, each varying in size, form, and strength, but all were equally terrifying in the end. Just seeing them move from afar would be enough to give one nightmares for days.

At the center of the flood, there was a domineering figure, standing proudly, and reigning without question over the plethora of monsters around it. Its eye glowed red and orange like the magma flowing under the veins of the world. Each stride it took, the ground quaked as if fearing it. A true king.

As the march continued, a small shadow could be seen streaking across the vast fields. The owner of the shadow was but just a little bird, its eyes watching closely, reflecting the flood under the brilliance of the moon.

The direction of the march... Towards Torvis!

CHAPTER 133 END

6