Chapter 139: The Tree of Life
244 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chirp Chirp Chirp

In the forest green, lush, and clean, the chirping and tweeting of various birds and critters could be heard echoing throughout the blue sky with the rising of the sun. A new morning has started yet again.

Despite the thickness of the canopies and the high density groves, the forest and the village within were not dark at all. The gentle sunlight seeped from the forest's rooves, caressing the solid ground and illuminating the vast surroundings. Shade and light, both in harmony.

After yesterday's events, Grey and Yuna had dinner with Aria's family. Even then, when they were the guests, they did not sit idly and also helped out in preparing and cooking, even using the meat they had just procured a couple hours before.

The dinner after was a happy one. The dining table was full of smiles and laughter as the night continued. There was only one person clouded with gloom, and that person was none other than Kris who had just gotten a long scolding from Aria.

Not only miss the booze he so wanted, Aria also found out about his mischief. It has been a long time since Aria scolded him like so, and he couldn't say he was pleased about it. He didn't want to relive such tragic memories.

After dinner. Falroe guided Grey and Yuna to the house they were going to stay at. It was not in any way as large as their home in Galderia, but it was a comfortable size and they couldn't find any fault with it. It was warm and cozy. There was nothing they could complain about.

Of course, as Yuna promised yesterday, she was the one who prepared breakfast for the two of them. It must have been because of her dedication but she managed to wake up much earlier than usual. Needless to say, Grey was extremely happy,

"Oh! Good morning Mister Grey, Miss Yuna. Did you have a good night?" [Nestor]

Just as they walked around the village, on the way to Aria's residence, Grey and Yuna were greeted by a familiar figure. It wasn't only Nestor, the other guard, Alto, was also with hom. They are once again patrolling the village.

"Good morning too, Mister Nestor, Mister Alto. And yes, we did have a wonderful night. It was relaxing." [Yuna]

"Yuna's right. It has been some time since we've slept in a comfortable bed. A good sleep really does heal one's fatigues." [Grey]

"Hahaha, that's good to hear... By the way, where are the two of you heading right now? Are you going to the market?" [Nestor]

"Hmm... That would be hard, isn't it? It's still quite early. There should only be a few stalls open this time..." [Alto]

Commented Alto, following Nestor's words. He was showing signs of concern as he scratched his cheeks. If it was yesterday, Grey and Yuna would have found his actions strange. Thankfully, they learnt a few things about the village from Falroe when they were having dinner the night before.

Unlike normal villages, Malus is a special case. While it is still a part of the Kingdom of Ingrasia, with it being located deep in the forest, it's basically its own independent settlement. In fact, not many people even in the same territory knew that the Malus village even exists.

The Malus village is also quite large despite being only called a village. While normal villages have at least 200 people, averaging at double that amount, Malus village has a population reaching well over two thousand people.

Being isolated from the outside world, the economy inside the village also works a little differently. While they do use kiels when some merchants happen to pass by, people usually barter for goods with one another. This is the reason why many families have farms of their own, bartering in their specialized goods.

Well, such a system isn't going to affect Grey and Yuna much. With how much food and resources they have in the "Inventory", even if they do not barter, they could just live their daily lives normally. Hunting and foraging also isn't out of the question.

"No, we're going to Mister Falroe's house. It seems like there's a few things he wants to talk about with us." [Grey]

"The Chief, huh... Then we shouldn't delay you any further. I'm sure they are already waiting for you." [Nestor]

"Then, see you later, Miss Yuna, Mister Grey. If you ever need something, you can count on us." [Alto]

"Un. Thank you." [Yuna]

It was a short conversation. After they waved their hands goodbye, Grey and Yuna continued heading towards Aria's residence which was located just a couple hundred meters away from where they were staying.

After a couple minutes of walking, they finally arrived in front of the house. Now that they saw it during the morning, illuminated by the sunlight, it looked even more beautiful and vibrant.

Knock Knock Knock

"The door's open, Please come in." [Falroe]

After knocking on the door, a few times Grey and Yuna were quickly invited over to the house and they did just so without uttering much words. For some reason, they felt a little nervous even when it was already their second time entering.

"We've come to visit." [Grey]

"Pardon the intrusion." [Yuna]

Saying their greetings, Grey and Yuna both took off their boots at the entrance before heading towards the living room. There was no need to, it was that they were already accustomed to such a habit.

In the living room, there were four people. There were Aria's young-looking parents, Falroe and Valka, Aria herself, and of course, the groom-to-be, Kris. It was worth mentioning that Kris still looked haggard from yesterday's lengthy scolding.

"You're quite early. Did you encounter some trouble?" [Falroe]

"Ah, no, there's no such thing. We just thought we'd head here early since we have nothing much to do." [Grey]

"Un. We just thought it would be better to arrive early, rather than late. It's also a nice change of pace from our usual routine." [Yuna]

"I see, I see. That does sound good," [Falroe]

As everyone greeted one another, Valka took it upon herself to head to the kitchen and brew some tea. They weren't one the two were accustomed to, but from the looks and scent alone, they knew it was going to be a good brew.

Kris, after seeing the tea, couldn't help but wear a dark expression. He has already been drinking the same thing over and over again for the course of a few weeks, and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say he was already tired of it.

"Children, would you like some tea?" [Valka]

"Thank you, Missus Valka." [Yuna]

"Thanks." [Grey]

Nevertheless, even when he had already grown tired of it, Kris did not reject Valka's offer and gracefully had some of the tea she offered. After all, what kind of man would go against their future mother-in-law. Only a fool would do so.

Compared to the teas they've had before, the one Grey and Yuna are having were on the sweet side. It was one which even children would enjoy. To be frank, rather than tea, it was more like fruit juice, only that it was warm and had an aromatic scent.

"Grey, Yuna, have you gotten used to the village already?" [Falroe]

"Dear, you're being too much. Grey and Yuna had just arrived yesterday. It's too soon to be asking such a question." [Valka]

"Oh, right. Huhuhu! How silly of me. It's really good that you're with me, dear. I'm so lucky to have a smart and beautiful wife!" [Falroe]

"Dear, stop it~! It's embarrassing~!" [Valka]

It was still early in the morning yet sweetness was already filling the air, Falroe and Valka, even when other people were present, didn't fail to show their sweet and sappy affection to one another. It was as if they were just newlyweds, especially with how youthful they looked.

Rather than Falroe and Valka, the one most embarrassed in the situation was their eldest daughter, Aria. The same thing also happened the day before at the dining table and she was just as embarrassed.

As much as Aria wanted her parents to stop flirting in front of the guests, she couldn't do much about it. Thankfully, neither Grey nor Yuna minded it. Kris had also gotten used to it. It has become a regular scene in his daily life.

"Mom, Dad... Please stop..." [Aria]

"Aww~ Does our baby want some love from Mom as well?" [Valka]

"Oh? Does Aria feel lonely?" [Falroe]

"No, Mom, Dad! Please stop already! You're embarrassing me!" [Aria]

Well, every time Aria wanted to intervene, her parents' affection would always switch to her. Even when she was already a full grown adult, and one about to get married at that, her parents always treated her as if she was still a child. They are just a very affectionate family.

Whilst Aria was trying her best to deny her mother and father's loving hugs and kisses, Grey, Yuna, and Kris decided to ignore what was happening and have their own conversation over tea and some cookies Grey and Yuna brought.

It took quite a while before the commotion calmed down and when everything was over, Aria could be seen pouting, her face red from embarrassment. She was now sitting beside her mother who is trying to gain her forgiveness, all the while wearing a warm and smiling face.

"Sorry for the commotion. Where were we again?" [Falroe]

"Umm... Mister Falroe, we haven't started talking about anything yet." [Grey]

"Oh, is that so? Wait... What was I going to talk about again?" [Falroe]

Falroe scratched his head as he rummaged through his mind, trying to remember about why he called Grey and Yuna in the first place. Grey and Yuna could only laugh wryly about his gestures.

"Oh, right... I suppose I haven't really told you much about the village, huh... Have I told you about the village's origin?" [Falroe]

"No, it was only up until the village's demographics and economy." [Grey]

"I see, I see, then I guess we'll be starting there. As you can see..." [Falroe]

Grey and Yuna's attention on him, Falroe started explaining about the Malus village's origin. It was only a legend passed down generation after generation in the village, but all the villagers believed it.

According to the legend, hundreds of years ago, there was a large war across the continent. It was a battle between two ancient empires dragging with them the other kingdoms and countries into a path of destruction.

The kingdom which was the predecessor of Ingrasia was also dragged into this conflict and several hundred thousand lives were lost and all sorts of disasters sprouted all over the place.

Fortunately, in times of turmoil, a hero arose from that ancient kingdom. She, who was once an S-ranker, managed to break through the Calamity Class. With her power, she led the people to safety and saved thousands upon thousands of lives.

A few years passed and the war was finally over. Not only lives, but many territories were lost. Despite such huge losses, the people couldn't be any happier that the times of chaos were over. It was the start of a new era.

The king of the ancient kingdom at the time tried to grant the hero a large territory and a high-ranking title, but the hero refused the offer and instead decided to live the rest of her life in the forest.

With her were the allies and refugees she met along the way, creating a village of their own. Time passed and the village grew larger and larger until it became the Malus village which many people call their home today. A village which served as a sanctuary for elves who needed it.

"And after thatー" [Falroe]

Falroe was about to continue the story, but for reasons only he knew of, he suddenly cut his own words, leaving Grey and Yuna a little puzzled. He was thinking of a little something, albeit not so seriously.

"Right... Grey, Yuna, do you want to see something interesting?" [Falroe]

Out of nowhere, Falroe suddenly suggested something neither Grey and Yuna expected. The very next thing they knew, they found themselves heading out of the house and headed somewhere, Falroe wearing a gentle smile on his face.

For minutes to come, Grey and Yuna, led by Falroe, headed towards the center of the village. They talked and laughed about a couple of things before a certain sight made Grey and Yuna stop on their tracks and look in a certain direction.

"Huhu, a high-ranker's eyes sure are amazing. To think you could already see it from this distance. It's quite a sight isn't it?" [Falroe]

Leaves shimmering like emeralds under the soft starlight, branches which reached proudly into the eternal blue sky, and roots spreading far and deep into the ground. It was a sight which could leave one frozen, unable to mutter a single word.

The sacred tree back at the city of Torvis, but the one just up ahead was even much bigger. It stood proud and tall, easily surpassing a hundred meters in height with its trunk measuring more than a dozen meters in diameter. Calling it massive would just be an understatement.

Grey and Yuna have been traveling on the forest ground since the day before and the canopy of the forest was thick to the point that it covered almost every inch of the sky. Even when such a tree would easily stand out, neither of the two has noticed it up until now.

"Huhuhu, why don't we have a closer look?" [Falroe]

"A-Ah, yes..." [Grey]

Once again, Grey and Yuna's feet moved towards the tree and a few moments later, they arrived. It was even more majestic and beautiful up close. Just the mere sight of it was enough for them to feel humbled. It was truly magnificent.

Around the tree was a variety of flowers, growing vibrantly and full of vitality. There were also butterflies, bees, ladybugs, and a variety of beautiful insects. Calling it a hidden paradise wouldn't be an exaggeration at all.

"Amazing... What a beautiful sacred tree..." [Yuna]

"Huhuhu, not quite. You see, this tree is quite different from those trees you see in other elven towns and cities. We call it 'The Tree of Life'!" [Falroe]

Falroe proudly proclaimed as he stretched his arms out left and right, facing Grey and Yuna with the tree behind him. His face couldn't be any prouder as he announced such a statement to the world, his gentle smile extending from ear to ear.

Once the tree's name resounded inside their ears, Grey and Yuna felt something brew inside their hearts. They couldn't tell whether it was excitement, curiosity, or something else. But there was one thing for sure. They were both in awe.

"This tree, you see..." [Falroe]

Following such an introduction, Falroe continued his story from before. Since he has already told the village's origin, this time, he focused on the hero he has been mentioning all throughout the story.

The hero was someone loved by the people. It was not only because she was strong, but she was also kind and benevolent. Whenever there was injustice, she took it upon herself to solve it and help those who needed help.

Another thing about her was her curiosity. Before she was a fighter, she was also an alchemist. She has explored the world far and wide in search of all kinds of herbs and alchemy ingredients. And her greatest creation was none other than the "Tree of Life" which was now before Grey and Yuna.

'Amazing... This is a product of alchemy, huh...' [Grey]

Grey was in deep thought as he touched the tree's trunk. Connected to it, he felt even more overwhelmed. As she looked up towards the tree's canopy, all he saw was a sight of green, a beautiful green he would never forget.

⟨⟨Appraisal⟩⟩ [Grey]

----------------------------------

[Magic Plant]

[Species] Leifdorn Oak

[Age] 467 years

[Status] Healthy, Incomplete

[Description]

Left behind by the Divine Alchemist, Rista, the Leifdorn Oak absorbs mana from the air and ground and turns them into the purest form of mana for nourishment. Its leaves and fruits are of the highest quality and could serve as medicine to many diseases and at the same time, increase the vitality of those around it. All parts of it are precious and couldn't be procured anywhere else.

However, due to its pure nature, it also attracts all manners of beasts. Occasionally, it absorbs corruption from the surroundings to purify it, warding off all sorts of monsters and creating a sanctuary around its immediate vicinity. It is also called the Divine tree and the Tree of Life.

While almighty and powerful, the Leifdorn Oak is not complete. It lacks the nourishment from God's grace and due to this, it could not mature to being a true divine tree. It lacks the essence of creation.

-----------------------------------

Long. That was Grey's first impression as soon as he saw the Tree's status screen. He had seen his fair share of status screen but it was his first time seeing a description so long his eyes were about to pop out of its sockets.

Well, apart from the tree's long description, there was one more thing which caught Grey's attention. It was the one in its status. While displaying "Healthy" was normal, it was his first time seeing the word "Incomplete" in living things.

Grey had only seen such a status on equipment, tools, devices, and the likes. While it was made with alchemy, it was still considered a living thing, Grey just couldn't wrap his head around how a living, breathing thing could be incomplete. No matter where he looked, no part of the tree looked at it.

"Is something wrong, Grey?" [Falroe]

"Ah, no... No, actually, I've been wondering about something... This hero you were talking about, is she perhaps your ancestor?" [Grey]

"Huhu, that's right. Though none of us, her descendants, could be a match to her, I am proud to call myself as such. Actually, Aira..." [Falroe]

At Grey's curious question, Falroe started telling stories once again with glee visible on his face. Yuna was listening closely, but the one who asked the question, Grey, well... his mind was somewhere else.

Whilst Falroe continued babbling, Grey started reading the tree's long description and learning a lot of things about how the village came to be. Some of the questions on his mind have finally been answered.

The villager's youthful looks, their amazing vitality and energy, the lack of monsters in the area, and how the villagers managed to procure a lot of meat, everything finally made sense as Grey continued reading the description.

There was only one thing Grey was worried about. It was that the tree attracts all sorts of beasts in the area. Now, he could finally understand why the guards in the village were stronger than the ones they met in other settlements. In fact, they could even go toe to toe with knights.

Even Falroe, despite just looking like your young average man, was at C-rank. He was powerful enough to match the head of the knights back at Torvis. Heck, even Valka was at D-rank, powerful enough to crush boulders with her bare hands. It was the result of fighting beasts attracted by the tree over the years.

Of course, the number of average people in the village still surpasses those which are strong by a large margin. It was that those who are trained in battle are really good at it. They were true warriors living in the harsh wilderness.

Finally, there was the "Essence of Creation" which caught Grey's eyes. It reminded him of the "Blood of Creation" he once read at the familiars' status boards. Something which he apparently possessed.

"Here, Grey." [Yuna]

"Huh? Ah?" [Grey]

"It's some fruits from the Tree of Life. Mister Falroe said we could eat some." [Yuna]

"Oh, thank you." [Grey]

With his mind wandering afar, Grey didn't notice Falroe had already finished up with his story. Thankfully, neither Falroe nor Yuna noticed he wasn't listening at all. It was a close call.

As soon as he bit on the fruit, a unique taste flooded his mouth and caressed his tongue. It wasn't like any fruits he had eaten before. On top of that, he could feel his body feeling better only after a few bites.

"Oh! How delicious!" [Grey]

"Un! It's sweet and refreshing! Can I have some more?" [Yuna]

"Sure, sure, have as many as you like." [Falroe]

Yuna's eyes gleamed brightly as soon as she heard Falroe's response. Even when her mouth was still full, she grabbed a couple of fruits with both of her hands and wolfed them down, making her look like a chipmunk stuffing fruits in her mouth.

Falroe chuckled heartily at the sight of Yuna's healthy appetite. It was like he was feeding an adorable little animal and reminded him of the times when Aria was still a little child. A warm smile soon bloomed on his face.

"Now, why don't we explore the rest of the village. I'm sure you'll find more interesting things along the way." [Falroe]

"Un!" [Yuna]

Her mouth still filled with fruits, Yuna immediately agreed with Falroe's suggestion. It made the latter chuckle once again as he turned around and led the way, Grey and Yuna following behind him.

As for Grey, he still couldn't get his mind off the Tree of Life's description. While he doesn't feel any ominousness from it, his curiosity was bugging him. There was one thing he wanted to try but was feeling conflicted if he really should.

"Grey, we're going to leave you behind if you don't hurry~!" [Yuna]

"Ah, coming!" [Grey]

His heart still shrouded in mystery and curiosity, Grey decided to turn around and follow Falroe and Yuna. He wanted to try something out but decided to leave it for another day. For now, he'll be enjoying his day with Yuna.

Leaves and grasses rustling, caressed by the gentle wind. The flowers swaying gently and the bees and butterflies dancing freely in the air. Peace and silence has returned to the place once again.

CHAPTER 139 END

6