Chapter 143: Ramen Noodle Soup!
251 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Birds big and small flew joyfully in the sky without any restraints, free as one can be. They chirped, they tweeted, and they sang harmonious melodies. Yet accompanying such melodies were grunts and groans full of hardships and pain.

The one who was grunting and groaning so early in the morning was none other than Zeke who was currently struggling and trembling erratically just so he could keep standing, doing his best to keep up with the one before him, both senses and body as sharp as he could muster.

After the hunt a few days ago, he requested to be taught under Grey and Yuna's tutelage and the two agreed easily. It was not that they enjoyed teaching that much, but rather, they had nothing else to do. It could kill their boredom whilst also training Zeke, two birds with one stone.

Currently, Zeke is sparring with Grey, both using swords to the former's sake. But Grey, being the demonic teacher that he is, showed little to no mercy towards Zeke. For the past few days, he beat him black and blue and the same thing is happening today once again.

Of course, Grey held back just so that he was just a little bit stronger than Zeke. Even then, with restraints so heavy placed on himself, the latter did not stand a chance against him. His strikes were just as heavy and fast as one would expect, honed from years of experience.

"Huff... Huff... Huff..." [Zeke]

Rugged breathing rang throughout the air as Zeke held his sword tightly, his hands were numbing and trembling but he didn't let go. Rather, he gripped even tighter, looking for an opening to strike.

"I like that look in your eyes, Zeke, butー" [Grey]

Grey suddenly disappeared from Zeke's sight as if he vanished into thin air. Zeke's eyes zoomed here and there in search of the former, sharpening his senses and making sure he didn't miss even a single beat.

Clanggg

Metallic sounds boomed as two swords clashed with one another. Grey had attacked Zeke from his flank, but with great desperation, the latter managed to block the strike with what ounces of strength he had left. Unfortunately for him, his determination and efforts weren't enough.

"... You're too focused on me!" [Grey]

Before Zeke could even notice, a pillar of stone sprouted from the ground and struck his other flank. The strike was very heavy, and combined with Zeke's exhaustion, it was even more effective. He was blasted a couple meters away.

Grey didn't even intend for his sword to reach Zeke. It was his intention from the very start to distract Zeke and land a surprise attack from his blind spot. It worked just like he had anticipated. Zeke was still too inexperienced.

"Alright, that's enough for now." [Grey]

"Ughh... I... Huff... I can still... Huff... go on..." [Zeke]

"Say that only after your body stops trembling. As of right now, your body is in no condition to continue any further." [Grey]

His words as sharp as daggers, pierced Zeke's heart mercilessly. But the young man didn't refute nor retaliate. No matter where one looked at it, Grey's words were full of truth. Zeke couldn't even stand up, let alone hold his sword once again.

He had already seen the gap before them days ago, but now, Zeke was once again reminded how large the gap really was. Even when their strength was about the same, he still lost consecutively, not even landing a single strike against his Grey.

"Alright, stop sulking already. Your progress is already good enough as it is. I'm sure you'll surpass any other peers your age." [Grey]

"But... I couldn't even touch you..." [Zeke]

"Hahahaha, is that what you're worried about? You're just worrying about something silly. Hahahaha!" [Grey]

Grey laughed himself off as soon as he heard Zeke's concern. While it felt bad laughing in front of an injured person, Grey just couldn't help himself. He found it cute that Zeke was worrying about such a thing. Of course, not the same "cute" he sees Yuna as.

"Zeke, let me tell you something. Amongst the people I've fought against, there's only been a single person which managed to graze me." [Grey]

"And that person is...?" [Zeke]

"Well..." [Grey]

There wasn't a direct answer to be heard. Grey just simply looked at a certain direction, a direction where a certain elf, sitting on a certain bench, humming to herself as she munched on some fries. Her face was as happy as one could be, not giving a care about the world.

As soon as Yuna noticed Grey and Zeke's gazes landing on her, she simply smiled and waved her hand innocently then continued munching on some fries. Swinging her legs back under the bench and forth as she enjoyed her time merrily.

"Well, as you can see, there really is nothing to worry about. For someone your age, you're already doing excellent. Just do things at your own pace, alright?" [Grey]

"Haah... Fine... But Big Bro Grey, can I request something?" [Zeke]

"Hm? What is it?" [Grey]

"Umm... Healing magic. I can't move a single muscle on my body..." [Zeke]

"Ah, right..." [Grey]

It was only when Zeke reminded him that Grey remembered Zeke was still sprawling on the ground, the only thing he could move were his eyes and mouth. As for the others, they scream in pain as soon as he tries to. He was in a dire predicament.

With haste, Grey quickly casted both "Heal" and "Recuperate" on him. With warm light embracing his body, the pain and fatigue which once swallowed him quickly faded away as if it was merely a dream.

"Hup! I'm completely healed!" [Zeke]

As soon as his body felt better, he quickly did a front flip to gain back his footing and stand up. He was now back to his old energetic and cheerful self, completely different from the warrior whose eyes and mind were sharper than spears, ready to strike at a moment's notice.

"Do you feel better now?" [Grey]

"Yes! I feel like I could take on everyone right now!" [Zeke]

"I see... Then I guess it's time to continue your training, huh... I think Yuna's also itching to bond with you." [Grey]

"Eh?" [Zeke]

Zeke couldn't even enjoy what little time he had after his recovery. He was now frozen in shock at Grey's short announcement. His mood which was once at cloud nine was now shot down, even lower than the ground. It has thrusted towards the dark and endless abyss.

As for Grey, he was smiling ever so brightly as if he said nothing wrong, all the while calling Yuna over by waving his hand back and forth. It was a complete contrast compared to Zeke's which was heading deeper and deeper into despair.

"Uh... Umm... Big Bro Grey... I think my shoulder still hurts... Why don't we continue the training tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be fine by then!" [Zeke]

"Hm? Didn't you just say you felt like you could take on anyone just a moment ago? I'm sure you can handle just a single opponent, right?" [Grey]

"N-No... Th-That was... I was just joking..." [Zeke]

"Oh, don't worry about it too much. I'm sure everything will be alright!" [Grey]

Zeke tried to convince Grey otherwise, but all his efforts were for naught. No matter what excuses he gave, Grey's stand was firm. He was determined to train Zeke as much as possible, just like how they did with Eliza.

The reason why Zeke fights Grey and Yuna one after another was so that he could get used to the differences between fighting men and women. It was bound to be a good learning experience. Though the same couldn't be said for the sanity of the one receiving the said training.

"Then, Yuna, I'll leave this all to you. I'll head towards the wedding venue first to see how the others are doing." [Grey]

"Un! I'll make sure Zeke learns thoroughly!" [Yuna]

Yuna announced excitedly as she punched her first towards the blue sky. It was only then that Zeke knew his fate had already been sealed. He could only smile wryly as he lifted his sword once again, gloom painted in his eyes.

"Okay~ Zeke, are you ready?" [Yuna]

"Y... Yes..." [Zeke]

Without much choices left, Zeke continued his training once again, with the only difference being his opponent. Well, even if his opponent was different, he knew full well he was going to get another beating. It's going to be another painful experience.

As Zeke and Yuna started clashing swords, Grey headed away from the training ground and into the wedding venue. The wedding was only more than a week away and it went without saying that everyone was busy with last-minute preparations.

The moment he arrived, the sound of carpentry filled his ear. The saws cutting wood, the hammers hitting nails, and chisels carving out each and every tiny detail. People were busy all over the place.

Even with the help of magic, the progress couldn't be sped up any further. After all, most of the carpenters present don't know much about it. The only ones capable were Kris, members of Aria's family and a few others.

"Oh, Grey! What brings you here? Are you done with your Zeke's training?" [Aria]

"No, not yet. Yuna's just started sparring with him... Anyway, Miss Aria, is there any way I could help? I may not be experienced in carpentry, but I'm sure my magic could be of use." [Grey]

"Fufufu, I appreciate the offer, but contrary to how busy it looks, we're actually ahead of schedule. Everything's just fine." [Aria]

Grey couldn't deny Aria's words. While the place looked busy and chaotic, they are mostly due to the scaffolding present. If they are removed, the place would look much tidier and more polished. Even the altar was only missing a few carving details.

"Oh, but if you insist... Could I request you of something, Grey?" [Aria]

"As long as it's within reach, I'll do my best." [Grey]

"Then, I'd love it if you could cook lunch for everyone. You see, our hands are really full right now. The people here are just too stubborn that they refuse to eat until the day's over. I'm sure with your skills, they would be enticed to have them." [Aria]

At Aria's words, Grey once again looked at the people working. At a single glance, they looked like they were just doing fine, smiling so happily as they chatted with one another. And well, they are.

It's just that they are too occupied with their chat and work that they forget to eat. While their vitality is good due to the Tree of Life, it would still be best to work on a full stomach. It would be a problem if they suddenly collapsed, after all.

Of course, Aria and the others have tried to convince them multiple times, but they were just too hard-headed. Especially the men, they always go on about how they needed to give their best for their little Aria whom they treat like their daughter and little sister.

"I'm really sorry for suddenly springing this up on you," [Aria]

"No, it's alright. I have nothing else to do anyway... Then, I'll be heading to the kitchen now. I'll be back in an hour or two." [Grey]

"Yes. Good luck, and thank you!" [Aria]

Everything settled, Grey simply turned around and headed back to Falroe's house. While the house they were staying at also has a kitchen, the one in Falroe's was much bigger and has more things. He found it more comfortable.

Upon his arrival at the house, what greeted him was a messy living room. And in that messy living room was a certain blonde elf with similarly messy hair, writing, drawing, and trashing things one after another. It was Reina.

She had her own room but with how small and cramped it was, she finds it hard to work there. Since her family were out outside, she took the opportunity to use the living room and make it her workplace.

While the dress for the bride and the suit for the groom has already been finished, her work in making dresses is still not finished. Apart from his father and little brother, she still needed to make a dress for their mother and herself. Since it was a big occasion, she couldn't afford to just go willy-nilly.

Of course, the dress needs to stand out less compared to the bride's gown. After all, she is the star of the day. On the other hand, it still needed to be presentable and beautiful. Such contradictions made it hard for her to make the designs.

"You sure are busy, aren't you, Reina?" [Grey]

"A-Ah! Grey, sorry for the mess! I-I-I promise I'll clean up later!" [Reina]

"Why are you apologizing? This is your house, not mine. I'm just a guest, you know?" [Grey]

"Ah, right..." [Reina]

Reina only realized how silly she was after hearing Grey's words. Because of it, the tension in the air decreased a little and she managed to catch her breath, resting her hands and brain for a little while.

"Are these the designs you are working on?" [Grey]

Asked Grey as he scanned what papers were atop the table. He was not an expert, but he could tell that a lot of thought was put into each and every one of them. Not only that, all the notes attached were precise and easy to understand. It was obvious she has been doing it for such a long time.

As for the designs themselves, many were novel in Grey's eyes. They were those inspired by elven styles and similar styles unique to Merusia. Some were simple while some were complex, but there was one thing in common. All of them were beautiful.

"Y-Yes. Though they're still a work in progress so they might look a little messy," [Reina]

"Hmm... I think they're pretty neat though. I quite like your style." [Grey]

"Th-Thank you...! I'll work hard to fulfill your expectations!" [Reina]

"Hahaha, what's with that? There's no need to be so serious... Anyway, I'll be heading to the kitchen now. Just give me a call if you need something." [Grey]

"Y-Yes!" [Reina]

Leaving Reina to her own, Grey headed to the kitchen to start his task. There was only a couple of hours before lunch and so, he needed to cook something quick. And a ton of them at that. He needed to feed a couple dozen people.

Something filling, delicious, and novel to their eyes. Those were the requirements Grey thought of as he thought of a dish to cook. There were a lot of things to choose from, but a certain thing stood out in his mind.

'I want to eat ramen!' [Grey]

Such a declaration echoed inside Grey's mind as he thought of what dish to cook. It was not that it was perfect for the season or weather or something of the sort. He just simply wanted to eat some. And now that he has decided, there was no stopping him.

Hastily, Grey took out a ridiculous amount of ingredients from his "Inventory' and some from the house's pantry. There was flour, meat, eggs, chives, broth prepared beforehand and many more. A plethora of beautiful ingredients could be seen atop the table, almost overflowing.

The first to be made were the noodles. Using flour, salt, wheat gluten, salt, and a couple more ingredients, Grey made dough with them. Following which, he kneaded the dough, flattened it into sheets, folding then cutting it until he made the noodles.

With the noodles made, Grey brought the broth to a simmer, added some mushrooms and a little bit of spices. It would have been better if there were dried kelp and bonito flakes available, but with them missing, Grey had to make do with what he had.

Thankfully, there were still some marinades left from Grey and Yuna's previous cooking session and so, some time was saved. With it already prepared, all that was left to do was marinade the meat and use magic to speed up the process, letting the marinade seep into the meat.

After the meat was done marinating, the next up were the eggs. It was pretty simple. Al Grey had to do was boil the eggs to cook them, peel the shells, and have them marinate in the same marinade used for the meat.

Up next was the complimenting oil. Grey made sure to make a few varieties to suit everyone's taste. There was garlic oil, one spicy and one not, some sesame oil, and some type of oil full of umami from meat fats.

The preparations were now done and finished, all that was left was to do the actual cooking. The ramen was cooked in salted water before it was drained. The meat was cooked lightly. Of course, the stock was also heated up until it simmered.

Preparing the serving bowls, the stock was poured into them, followed by the ramen noodles, the meat, eggs, mushrooms, chives, and a couple more things. Grey put on hold the adding of oil and chili as he didn't know what everyone preferred. With it, the first batch was done.

If Grey had a single regret, it was that he did not have access to Japanese ingredients. There was no dried kelp nor bonito flakes present in the market nor did he know where to find them. It just wasn't the same without them.

"Waah~! It's ramen!" [Yuna]

And just in time Grey finished the first batch, a familiar face walked in. She was wearing a large smile on her face as she approached Grey. Of course, it was Yuna whose eyes were now fully drawn to the ramen.

Zeke was nowhere to be seen. While he arrived at the house with Yuna, he only stayed in the living room with his older sister, eyes as lifeless as one could be, totally void of color. Needless to say, he was exhausted.

"Are we eating ramen for lunch?!" [Yuna]

"Well, yeah. But I'm not finished yet. There is still a lot more to cook. Care to help?" [Grey]

"Un! Sure!" [Yuna]

Glee was evident on Yuna's face as she took up on Grey's request. With her help, it was much easier and the ramen bowls quickly filled up the table. Grey quickly stored them inside his "Inventory" to keep them hot and steamy and also save up space at the same time.

All the time, Yuna was humming to herself as she looked forward to eating them. It didn't take long before they finished. Thankfully, the house has a lot of flour in stock. They were able to make more than 60 servings of ramen.

With everything finally done, Grey and Yuna cleaned up the kitchen and headed out the kitchen. The first to greet them were two familiar figures. One was fidgeting with a pencil and making sketches, Reina, while the other was slumped on the table, Zeke.

One doesn't need to say any more. It was evident from his empty expressions how much difficulties he had gone through in the past hour. While he finally finished his training, there was no trace of happiness in his face, only gloom.

"Reina, Zeke, here, have some." [Grey]

"Hmm... This is...?" [Zeke]

"It's ramen! I'm sure you'll like it." [Yuna]

With a happy remark from Yuna, the two stopped on whatever they were doing and cleaned the table so that Grey could place down the ramen bowls on it. The table which was once full of sketch papers and drawing tools was now clean and tidy after a quick work.

Both Reina and Zeke looked at the ramen with curious eyes, but since it was one made by Grey and Yuna, they only did so for a short while. As soon as they took a bite, their reactions were what one would expect.

"D-Delicious! It's a little salty, but it's delicious!" [Reina]

"Big Bro, Big Sis, this is amazing! I want seconds!" [Zeke]

The two whose faces were painted with stress and gloomy expressions were now beaming brightly. Even Zeke who was down in the dumps after experiencing hell has become lively and enthusiastic once again, asking for seconds when he hasn't even finished his first meal.

Of course, Grey was happy that they were enjoying it. It's just that looking at them eating with a simple spoon and fork felt a little wrong. After all, it would look much more natural if it was done with chopsticks and a soup spoon.

"Alright, we'll give you another serving." [Grey]

"Thanks, Big Bro!" [Zeke]

"Then, we'll be going to the wedding venue now, the others must already be hungry. Enjoy your lunch!" [Grey]

"See you later, Reina, Zeke!" [Yuna]

After heading out of the house, Grey and Yuna directly headed towards the wedding venue where they were welcomed by Aria with a happy and thankful smile. She then helped set up the tables for the ramen to be served on.

While Aria doesn't know what manner of dish ramen was, she has full trust in the two's cooking skills and knew they would be great dishes. Even her appetite was already aroused by the inviting, aromatic smell of the ramen wafting the air.

"Hm? What's that smell?"

"Did someone cook something?"

It wasn't only Aria. The workers who were nearby were also drawn in. Seeing them approach the table, the other workers also followed suit, and soon, a crowd of workers gathered near the table, all curious what was being served.

"Please have some." [Yuna]

"A-Ah, yeah. Thanks..."

The man couldn't turn down Yuna's invitation. While he didn't know what the strange dish before him was, his eyes and nose were already drawn to it. Of course, it went without saying his tongue is already excited to have a taste of the peculiar dish the young lady handed to him.

"S-So good! This is amazing, Missy!"

At the man's remarks, the others' interests were quickly hooked. One after another, the workers lined up to receive their share, having the same reaction as the man from before. A clamor of satisfied voices filled the air as if a little feast was ongoing.

Of course, Grey and Yuna didn't just simply stand there. They also participated in the little feast, shocking everyone once again with their voracious appetite. They alone managed to eat five bowls each, bowls which were extra large at that. They were the champions when it came to eating.

"Hooh~! That was a good meal!"

"Hahaha, you said it! I've never tasted something like it!"

"That's right! That was a great treat!"

Voices of satisfaction mixed in the air after lunch finished. The workers who looked a bit exhausted before were now full of energy, feeling like newfound strengths were flowing in their bodies now that their stomachs are full.

"Alright, men! Let's get this thing over with and finish the wedding venue! Let's give Little Aria the best wedding possible!"

"""Ooohhh!!"""

Flames of passion burst forth inside the worker's eyes as they shouted their battle cries. For some reason, they looked much faster and stronger than before, being able to finish work at a much faster rate as if they were supercharged.

Grey doesn't know if it was the effect of the ramen or if they really are like that if they are full. He was worried a little, but with their spirits at an all-time high, he couldn't really do anything about it. At the very least, they were working much better than before.

"All's well that ends well, I guess...?" [Grey]

CHAPTER 143 END

4