Chapter 146: A Magical Tea
239 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A vast and viridescent forest stretching out as far as eye the can see, growing as time passed under the eternal blue sky. In such a forest, a certain tree could be seen, with noticeable height overshadowing those around it. It was the Tree of Life.

Flowers, grasses, and a variety of flora gathered around the tree, swaying along the whim of wind and calling upon butterflies, bees, and all sorts of busy and buzzy bugs. If not for the large gashes to be found on the tree and the ground around it, the place could easily be described as a paradise.

Of course, what kind of paradise doesn't have its own protectors? There wasn't only one, not two, nor three, but four of these protectors surrounding the tree, laying down with the sweet-scented flowers and peacefully basking under the sun.

They were four humongous serpents, all measuring more than fifty meters and all possessing strength which could easily crush all enemies. As soon as they opened their eyes, one could see golden words shimmering brightly like magnificent jewels. They were beautiful but deadly.

"Mister Aria, Mister Kris, how's your telepathy?" [Grey]

The masters of such creatures were standing nearby, near one another's graces and closing their eyes. There was silence to be observed, silence which was quickly broken upon Grey's approach.

"Well, what could I say? It's pretty convenient, isn't it?" [Kris]

"While I find it weird conversing without opening my mouth, I could see them being useful in many situations. Thank you, Grey." [Aria]

"No problem. And it might feel weird at first, but you'll slowly get used to it." [Grey]

"I see... That's a relief..." [Aria]

A gentle smile was afloat Aria's face as she responded to Grey's words. Strangely enough, she was the only one who looked happy. Kris, who was beside her, was wearing a troubled face, thinking deeply about something.

"Mister Kris, is something wrong?" [Grey]

"No, it's just... It's convenient and all, but the surprise attacks are quite dangerous, aren't they? I even stumbled back then..." [Kris]

"Ah, I see... So that's what happened..." [Grey]

There were no more words needed to be said. Even with how vague Kris' words were, Grey immediately understood what he was trying to say. He was not talking about a physical attack, but something akin to a psychological one.

What Kris was talking about was Aria's surprise "thank you" which just happened recently. Grey could relate very well since Yuna also does it from time to time. He was suddenly reminded of the time when she suddenly said "I love you" back on their spar at the Royal Academy. It was indeed quite dangerous.

Of course, Grey had also gotten back at her, making her face beet red. But such a situation always ends up in an endless exchange of sweet and sappy phrases. One which ends up with both of them greatly embarrassed. Self-destruction at its finest.

"By the way Grey, does this telepathy also work with others who can use telepathy? It would be really convenient if it could." [Kris]

"Hmm... As far as I know, it should be impossible, but... I'm not sure. I haven't really given it a try myself." [Grey]

"Then what do you say we test it out? It could come handy if it works." [Kris]

"Alright, sure!" [Grey]

Grey was quickly on board with Kris' suggestion. While he has no intention of calling Kris and Aria on a regular basis, like Kris said, it could come handy in certain situations. It would be very useful if it really does work.

Carrying out their experiment, Grey and Kris tried their hardest to connect to one another. They performed just like how they did with Yuna and Aria respectively but unfortunately, their efforts were all in vain.

Yuna, who was once busy observing the familiars, was also called over and Aria was also involved, but the results remained the same. No matter how hard they tried, they couldn't use telepathy with those whom they don't share mastership with.

"Haah... It's impossible, after all..." [Grey]

"Well, at least we triedー" [Kris]

"Oh! It's real! There really are large snakes!" [Zeke]

Just when they all gave up on their little test, Zeke's energetic voice came echoing inside their ears. It wasn't only his, there was also Reina's, Ruru's, and the other villagers. They were all curious about the familiars.

With the size of the village, it only takes less than an hour before news spreads between the villagers. Those who were nearby had already heard the news and came over to satisfy their curiosity.

"Waah~! They're so massive!" [Zeke]

"H-H-Hello...!" [Reina]

Just like fire and ice, Zeke and Reina's reactions couldn't be any different. Zeke was overly excited as he looked at the familiars with shimmering eyes, eyes similar to what the children wore. Meanwhile, Reina was as meek as a scared sheep. It was quite a sight to see.

Of course, the adults were also excited, seeing such creatures for the first time. But unlike the children, they were able to keep their emotions to themselves and remain calm despite feeling overwhelmed by the creatures before them.

"Kids, are these really your pets?" [Valka]

"Mom... They're not pets... They're our familiars! Calling them pets is rude!" [Aria]

"Oh my, really? Then I guess I owe them an apology." [Valka]

But amongst the people present, Valka was just another breed. She was not only calm, she was more than unfazed in front of the familiars. In fact, when she was apologizing to them, it was as if she was talking to kids. She was a fearless woman.

Thankfully, neither of the familiars were offended. After all, as far as their summoning is concerned, they are just newborns. In a sense, there was nothing wrong in treating them like kids since they are kids.

Rummblleee

A low sound resonated in the air as the familiars raised their bodies, casting shadows on the ground and dominating the entire area. Their golden orbs focused on three certain figures amongst the crows. One was excited, one was calm, and one was trembling a little. They were Aria's family.

"These ones greets the Mistress' family." [Dianthus]

"""We greet the Mistress' family""" [Primula, Amaryll, and Bellis]

"Fufufu, what polite children you are." [Valka]

And as one would expect, Valka was unfazed to the familiars' greetings. As for the other two, Zeke was now even more excited, feeling like an honorable knight while Reina, being as timid as she was, hid behind her mother. A complete contrast.

After their greeting, the familiars chatted peacefully with the villagers, answering mostly Zeke's questions. They didn't complain a little bit, answering each and every one of them with delight. It was the start of a harmonious relationship.

"Right.... Speaking of which... Grey, Yuna, where are your familiars? I haven't seen them since that incident? Are they in your shadows?" [Kris]

Asked Kris with eyes filled with pure interest. While he only saw them once, he could never forget the moment when he battled with them. It has been forever engraved deep in his heart. A memory filled with awe and admiration.

As for where the familiars have been all this time, they have been in the forest, hunting as much monsters as they could. The only time they are called over is when Grey and Yuna want to cuddle with them or when they want them to eat with them. Otherwise, they are out in the wild, hunting.

Of course, with how much hunting they are doing, they are bound to get stronger and stronger. In fact, Sirius is already on the verge of breaking through S-rank. If everything goes smoothly, she will achieve such in just a few days.

Polaris, who isn't with them, is also working hard whilst protecting Eliza. Just like Sirius, he was on the verge of breaking through. It is only a matter of time before he reaches Calamity Class. Grey and Yuna's forces were growing stronger with time.

"Waah~! Big Bro Grey and Big Sis Yuna also have familiars?! Are they cool?! I want to see them!" [Zeke]

And by chance would have it, Zeke managed to overhear what they were talking about. He simply approached to ask permission to ride the familiars, but now, his interest was shifted to a different subject.

It wasn't only Zeke. The other children's interest was also aroused with the former's resonant request. Especially Ruru, her eyes were shimmering brightly as she approached them, being the little ball of cuteness and energy that she was.

"Me too! Me too! I also want to see Big Sis and Big Bro's pets!" [Ruru]

"Me three!"

"Me four!"

One after another, the children's excited and expectant voices filled the air as they requested Grey and Yuna to show their familiars. While the two weren't particularly against it, they felt troubled whether they really should be doing so.

In the first place, their familiars weren't meant for showing off, especially to kids. While they would not lose in terms of beauty and appearances, some might get scared after seeing them. That was what was troubling the two of them.

"Now, now, kids, don't trouble Grey and Yuna too much." [Valka]

"Ruru, why don't you play with the other kids instead?" [Rozelia]

Thankfully, the adults were to the rescue. With Valka and Rozelia's expertise, they were able to handle the children with ease. It only took them a couple of moments before they calmed the children down.

But seeing the children's dejected expressions, Grey and Yuna's hearts couldn't help but feel pained. No matter what the situation was, they have always been weak to children. The same goes for the current situation. They felt like their conscience was being torn apart.

"No... Missus Valka, Missus Rozelia, it's alright." [Grey]

"Are you sure? It's alright to scold the children a little, you know?" [Valka]

"I appreciate the concern, but you can leave this to us. We really can't bear to see the children sad, you see..." [Grey]

At Grey's words, gentle smiles appeared on Valka and Rozelia's faces. They were both relieved and happy that even though it has only been a week since they arrived, they are already getting along with the children. It greatly warmed their hearts.

"Kids, we'll summon our familiars, but you have to promise Big Sis and Big Bro to behave, okay? You are good children after all, aren't you?" [Yuna]

""Yes!"" ""Um!"" ""Yeah!""

There were a variety of responses but all of them have one thing in common. They all expressed agreement to Yuna's terms. Children as bright and innocent as they are, it was easy to convince them. A warm atmosphere filled the air.

"Fufufu! Then I guess I'll have to call them out now, do I?" [Yuna]

Honoring her promise to them, Yuna moved away a little and searched for an area fit for summoning the familiars. It was not too far from Kris and Aria's familiars, just a little distance away from the Tree of Life.

"Everyone, come out now!" [Yuna]

At Yuna's behest, her shadow started to tremble, little fragments splitting away in a matter of seconds, darting away from here. Soon after, four furballs were revealed, cute and fluffy as one can be.

In light of Grey and Yuna's order, the familiars would always come out in their wolf pup forms unless they are requested otherwise. Be it when they are alone or in front of others, this remains true. The two have totally forgotten that the familiars were still in such form.

"Waah~! Puppies!"

"They're so cute!"

Well, all that mattered was that the children were happy. They didn't care whether they didn't look as strong and big as Kris and Aria's familiars. All they knew was that they were happy to see them. Kids love cute and fluffy things, after all.

The adults also had the same reactions. The only ones who had different reactions were Kris and Aria, they were both confused as they watched the children play with the pups with such delight in their faces. No matter how they looked at it, they weren't the same familiars they saw before.

It was only natural. After all, it wasn't only their forms, they also hid their presence to match what they looked like. In other words, they seemed like wolf pups both in form and presence. A perfect disguise.

"Huh? I didn't know you also have wolf pup familiars..." [Kris]

"Ah, right..." [Grey]

It was only when Kris pointed it out that Grey and Yuna explained to them what was happening. It didn't take too long before Kris and Aria understood what was going on. It was also mentioned that Polaris was in Eliza's care after the two noticed one of the familiars were missing.

While a demonstration would be good, they didn't want to scare the children away and not disturb what they are currently doing. With such bright smiles on their faces, it was hard to tell them to stop playing. In the end, they just let them be.

"Shapeshifting, eh... That's pretty neat..." [Kris]

"It must be nice to cuddle with them, huh..." [Aria]

Although their statements couldn't be any different, both Kris and Aria were a little envious of Grey and Yuna's abilities. Not only would it be efficient and convenient, it could also be used to relieve some stress. They were the perfect familiars.

"Huhuhuhu, it seems like you're enjoying yourselves... Kris, Aria, I'm going to borrow Grey and Yuna for a bit, okay?" [Falroe]

"Hm? Where are you taking them, Dad?" [Aria]

"Nowhere, really... I just want to invite them to some tea. How about it, Grey, Yuna, what do you think?" [Falroe]

There was no reason to refuse. After saying their goodbyes to everyone, Grey and Yuna followed Falroe to his office, leaving the familiars in the care of the children, letting them play with them to their hearts' contents.

Upon their arrival, what greeted them was an unfamiliar sight. Unlike the offices they have been to before, Falroe's office looked rather comfortable like a relaxation place rather than a workplace. They were even pillows to be seen here and there. If anything, it was like a man's hideaway.

While it was understandable since the village wasn't as big as the towns or cities they have seen, it was still a little perplexing. The aura of warmth and comfort which could be felt was just on another level. It was amazing in ways more than one.

"Take a seat, you two. Anywhere is fine as long as you're comfortable." [Falroe]

"Ah, thanks..." [Grey]

"Thank you, Mister Falroe." [Yuna]

The two still don't know why Falroe called them, but with their experiences, they could take a guess or two. There was one thing that was sure, it was related to what happened the day before and this morning.

Completely different to his expressions before, Falroe was now humming to himself as he opened up the shelves. Inside, there was a collection of tea leaves, beans, and sugars which could be brewed into an assortment of drinks, perfect for relaxation.

"I'm just going to brew some tea, okay? Just make yourselves at home." [Falroe]

As suddenly as he brought Grey and Yuna to his office, Falroe headed out to brew some tea, leaving Grey and Yuna to their own devices. There was only confusion on their faces as they looked at one another's eyes.

"Mister Falroe's just like a storm isn't he?" [Grey]

"Un... Like a storm..." [Yuna]

With nothing else to do, Grey and Yuna sat themselves on the couches near the desk and started chatting about a few things which spontaneously came to their minds. Since Falroe took his sweet time brewing tea, they figured it was best to play some games to pass the time.

"And that's another win for me." [Grey]

"Ugh... You meanie... Stop using those tricks!" [Yuna]

"My love, they're called 'strategies'." [Grey]

Of course, as one would expect, Yuna lost to Grey once again. While Yuna was improving at a fast rate, with Grey's knowledge about some advanced strategies along with his experience, she was still not a match to him.

It is not to say that she wasn't getting good at the games. If before, she could barely win after a hundred matches, now she can win every 6 or 7 tries. If she was playing against other people, she could easily crush them.

"Oh, that looks interesting... Is that some sort of game?" [Falroe]

"Ah, yes. It's a board game called 'Chess'." [Grey]

"Chess, huh... This is the first time I've heard of it." [Falroe]

Just in time as Grey and Yuna finished their game, Falroe also finished brewing his tea. He came inside the room with a teapot, a couple of tea cups, and of course, some sweet delights which quickly lit up Yuna's eyes with excitement,

Not wasting any movements, Falroe poured tea into the teacups, the sound of drizzles and splashes filling the air along with the relaxing and aromatic scent of the tea being poured. It was a relaxing combination that could easily calm one's mind.

"Here you go, please have a sip. And here are some cookies and macaroons if you like." [Falroe]

"Yaay~! Cookies!" [Yuna]

"Thank you, Mister Falroe." [Grey]

Grey and Yuna gracefully accepted Falroe's goodwill as they received the tea he served. They have still yet to have a taste but their senses were already drawn to the tea. Not only does it smell great, it also looks alluring as well like a lake of gold, calm and mesmerizing.

A perfect blend of sweetness, bitterness, and acidity with a tinge of mintiness despite the tea's hotness filled Grey and Yuna's mouth as they took a sip of the tea. The scent of the tea suddenly became stronger as it wafted around their noses. It was an odd combination of flavors, but strangely refreshing.

"Waah~! It's sweet, bitter, sour, and minty at the same time! But it's also fragrant and delicious! I like it!" [Yuna]

"This is some excellent tea, Mister Falroe." [Grey]

"Huhuhu, I'm glad you liked it." [Falroe]

Falroe couldn't be any happier to hear the two's remarks. He also quite fancied the tea he just brewed. It was one of his favorites, if not his favorite. A tea which could only be found in the Malus village.

"But Mister Falroe, if I may ask, this tea... What is it made of?" [Grey]

"Huhuhu, so you've noticed it, huh... This is tea made from the Tree of Life's leaves and fruits." [Falroe]

"The Tree of Life. No wonder..." [Grey]

Not only was it refreshing, for some strange reasons, Grey and Yuna's bodies felt lighter and calmer after drinking it. It wasn't just their imaginations. Their fatigue and exhaustion were really fading away as if they were casted with "Recuperate".

With such properties, one might think that there have been countless attempts in stealing it, but the truth couldn't be any further. While there were some, it could only be counted with one's fingers.

Not only was the village hidden from the outside world, the fruits and leaves also lost their effects in about a week. Even if people were successful in getting them, by the time they get out of the forest, it would already be too late.

There was also the usage of storage rings which can slow down time, but only those which are ridiculously expensive are worth using. Storage which only high-ranking nobles and royalties can afford. No mere thief can do such.

It's only after the leaves and fruits are processed that they could be preserved for longer periods of time, a procedure only the villagers knew of. In other words, stealing them was completely pointless. It was also the reason why one would only get a taste of it in the Malus village.

"Grey, Yuna, for helping out Kris and Aria, Iー" [Falroe]

"Mister Falroe, there's no need. Helping out Mister Kris and Miss Aria, we didn't do it for any incentives." [Grey]

"Un! We only did it for our own selfishness... We just want Miss Aria and Mister Kris to enjoy their wedding!" [Yuna]

Just like Grey and Yuna had expected, Falroe only brought them to his office to give them his gratitude. But before Falroe could even thank them, Grey cut off his words. To them, there was no need for such a thing.

While Grey and Yuna couldn't call themselves saints, to Kris and Aria who they already treat as precious friends, helping them was only natural. There were no other reasons. Their kindness brought a smile to Falroe's face.

"Still... I want to express my gratitude. Is there anything you want?" [Falroe]

"Well, if you insist, some of this tea would be nice." [Grey]

"Huhuhu, tea it is... Also, this chess... Would you mind teaching this old man? This looks quite the fun game." [Falroe]

"Sure." [Grey]

"Un!" [Yuna]

At Falroe's request, Grey and Yuna quickly agreed with bright smiles on their faces, the fragrance of the tea still wafting in the air along with the sweet scent of macaroons and cookies.

The day which started gloomier than midnight was now brighter than the sun itself. There was no darkness to be seen, only bright expressions as three figures played a couple of games over sweets and tea.

CHAPTER 146 END

7