Chapter 153: Celebration! (pt. II)
222 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gloom, despair, and terror. There are only these three things as if the world was about to end. Such an atmosphere loomed over a certain figure as his heart was swallowed by darkness. Darkness which is even darker than the abyss itself.

Contrary to the festive and happy celebration, Falroe's expression couldn't be any darker. There were tears in the corner of his eyes as he clenched his fist, trembling a little and not uttering even a single word. It was as if he wanted to disappear entirely.

"Umm, Missus Valka... What's wrong with Mister Falroe?" [Yuna]

"Well, you see..." [Valka]

Valka did not say any more, she simply glanced at a certain direction, prompting Grey and Yuna to follow. There, they saw Reina happily talking and laughing with a young elven man with such bright glee on her face. It was then that they understood what was happening,

Today, his older daughter had just gotten married, and now, his younger daughter was starting a new relationship with a man. As a father, there was no greater despair than seeing his daughters getting taken away from him. There was no greater pain.

"My babies... Why is this happening...? First, Aria, and now, even Reina?! Why?! Just why, Dear God?! Why have you forsaken me?!" [Falroe]

Shout as mighty as he can, but there wouldn't be any answer. Not only does a God not usually reply to the mortals, the very God of Merusia had literally left for a higher plane. Grey could only smile wryly, knowing such a fact.

Falroe's overdramatic outburst continued and the rest decided to just ignore him and leave him be. It wasn't the first time it had happened. When Aria got in a relationship with Kris, he also cried just as loudly. It was the usual.

Valka leading them, the others went up the stage where their seats were, grabbing wine glasses along the way. Wine was then poured on each of their glasses and the attendees followed suit, grabbing their cups and filling them with various wines which suited their tastes.

"Everyone, thank you for attending on this important day of our lives. We couldn't be any happier to see you with such bright faces on this day..." [Kris]

As Kris told his speech, there weren't any other noises to be heard. Everyone listened attentively as the groom gave his gratitude to those who attended, swirling his glass subtly and glancing at Aria from time to time.

"Well, I don't want to keep blabbering and keep you on waiting. All of you already know how happy I am... I'm just a simple man, after all." [Kris]

Unlike the previous speeches, Kris' current speech was more casual and friendly. It was as if he was just talking to his close friends. It made the villagers laugh and smile as they continued to listen.

"Then everyone, without further ado, let's enjoy the rest of the day and cheers to a happy life!" [Kris]

"""To a happy life!!""

"""Cheers!""'

"""To Kris and Little Aria!"""

Kris raised his wine glass and made a toast with Aria, clings and twings softly echoing everywhere as they drank the wine. The people responded and loud cheers filled the air. It was the start of the true celebration.

With the toast finished, the served dishes were opened one after another, white, hot steam rising to the sky as the hot dishes were revealed. Everyone's mood quickly improved by leaps and bounds as the magnificent and mouthwatering sight was revealed before them.

People quickly lined up at the serving tables and the food quickly decreased with each person lining up. Still, it didn't make much of a difference since the amount of food served was just as stupendous as the amount of people present.

"Oh? What's this?"

A man, picking what dishes he'll eat, suddenly stopped in his tracks. In the corner of his eyes, there was a certain dish he hadn't seen before. It had an orangey brown color and was viscous in nature, a stew filled with meat and some vegetables.

"Ah, that. That's curry. Mister Grey and Miss Yuna made it."

"Oh, is that so?! It must be delicious then!"

"Hey, leave some for us!"

The curry quickly drew the attention of many as many people rushed towards it. They were the workers Grey and Yuna once cooked for before. After eating a couple of dishes from them, an equation of Grey and Yuna's cooking = delicious has formed in their minds.

Excitedly, the workers lined up after the curry. Seeing them do so, some of the curious crowd also lined up after them. The line only grew longer and longer with the passing of time, until...

"Oh! This is really good!"

"That's it! If you're a man, spicy food really is the way to go!"

"Wooh! This is amazing!"

Cries of amazement and surprise echoed in the air as the people had a taste of the fabled curry which has managed to capture everyone's heart without fail. It only made those falling in line to become more excited as they anticipated how it would taste like.

"This...! What is this?! It's so juicy and tasty!"

"I've never tasted anything like this!"

"Oh! So cheesy!"

The excitement didn't just stop with the curry. The hamburg steak, spaghetti, pork with grated ginger, lasagna, and all the dishes they cooked received very positive feedback. All the villagers enjoyed them like excited little children.

Of course, the dishes the other cooks prepared were also very delicious. It's just that the novelty of their dishes drew the curiosity of many. Especially the children, they were quickly drawn to them. They especially like the different kinds of pasta.

The celebration continued and Grey and Yuna's dishes received more attention than they even anticipated. It was a first seeing such a lively scene as if the village was just dining together as one big, happy family.

"Oh my, Grey and Yuna's dishes are receiving a lot of attention." [Valka]

"That's because Big Bro Grey and Big Sis Yuna's cooking is delicious!" [Zeke]

"That's right. But at this rate, we might not get a taste of it..." [Valka]

"Ah! No! Grey, let's hurry!" [Yuna]

Traces of urgency were quickly painted on Yuna's face as soon as she heard Valka's words. One of the reasons she participated in cooking was not only because she enjoyed the act itself. It was also because she liked eating. There was no way she was going to wait willy-nilly.

But before Yuna could even start to rush towards the serving tables, she suddenly stopped in her tracks, or rather, she was made to stop on her tracks. Out of nowhere, Grey's hands suddenly grabbed her shoulders, stopping her from rushing abruptly.

"Now, now, why don't we calm down a little. People might get hurt if you suddenly rushed over there." [Grey]

"B-Bu-But, Grey... The food... The food's going away..." [Yuna]

"I know, that's why I reserved some beforehand." [Grey]

"Waah~! Really?! You did?!" [Yuna]

Yuna's expression quickly switched from depressed to extremely happy in just a fraction of a second. Her eyes were now glimmering and full of sparkles as she looked at Grey as if she was looking at an angel, shining even brighter when Grey nodded in confirmation.

"Grey, you really are the bestest of the best!" [Yuna]

A tight embrace came lunging towards Grey's body as Yuna pounced towards him with such a happy face. While he was happy that Yuna was hugging him, he felt a little conflicted. Being hugged because of food was somewhat unsettling.

Setting his conflicting emotions aside, Grey quickly took out a large table from his "Inventory" and covered it with a clean, white tablecloth. After which, dishes were served one after another under the table was filled to the brim.

Excited faces could be seen in all directions as the people looked at the dishes, taking their seats soon after. It was as if there was a filter in their eyes as the dishes looked like they were sparkling. Even Falroe which was down in the dumps was now somewhat cheerful.

"Mmn! Delicious!" [Yuna]

"Big Bro Grey, what's this?" [Zeke]

"Hm? Ah, that's lasagna." [Grey]

"Lasagna... Waah~! It's sweet and cheesy! Meaty, too!" [Zeke]

Yuna was stuffing herself full, Zeke asked curiously periodically, Falroe and Valka spoon feeding one another ever so boldly, and Reina enjoying her meal in silence, daydreaming a little about Eldhart. Their lively meal continued like that.

Of course, the bride and groom also didn't back down from the challenge. Following Falroe and Valka, the two of them started feeding each other too. The atmosphere was sickly sweet. Any normal person would find it hard to intrude on them.

"Uuu... I want to eat some pizza..." [Yuna]

"Pizza? What's that?" [Zeke]

"It's a umm... Flat bread with melted cheese, and uhh... tomato sauce and lots of toppings! It's delicious food!" [Yuna]

"Pizza...!" [Zeke]

Various images came flashing inside Zeke's mind as he thought of what pizza looked like, using Yuna's vague descriptions. Needless to say, what he imagined couldn't be any further from reality. Still, that doesn't make him any less excited.

Meanwhile, Grey could only look at the two of them with concern. While he was a little concerned with Zeke getting easily influenced by Yuna, he was more concerned about the latter. He didn't know what to do with his adorable, but gluttonous girlfriend.

"Oh, by the way... Mister Kris, Missusー No, that really feels weird... Miss Aria, I think I'll just stick to calling you 'Miss Aria' from now on. No matter how I put it, it really feels weird calling you 'Missus Aria'..." [Grey]

"Un... Miss Aria is Miss Aria, after all." [Yuna]

"Fufufu. Please do. I'm also still getting used to it myself. Fufufu!" [Aria]

Grey was going to say an important statement, but no matter how important it was, he needed to cut his own words. Addressing Aria with "Missus" just wouldn't sit well with him. The same went for Yuna.

"Alright then, Miss Aria, Mister Kris, would you please follow me a little. Yuna and I prepared a little something for the two of you." [Grey]

Kris and Aria could only tilt their heads in curiosity as they followed Grey and Yuna's lead. While they were sure it was a gift, they were still puzzled since the gift giving was still a little while away.

Out of nowhere, Grey once again pulled out a table from his "Inventory", surprising people yet again. After which, another white tablecloth was placed atop of the table, finishing it with a little bit of plates and utensils here and there. Needless to say, Grey and Yuna's "little" something was not little at all!

In front of them, two large cakes consisting of five layers each and standing even taller than them were taken out. One was white with pink cream, flavored strawberry and vanilla while the other was black with dark brown icing, flavored chocolate.

"Grey, Yuna... What the heck is this...?" [Kris]

Apart from the ones Kris and Aria saw at noble and royal celebrations, they were the biggest cakes they have ever seen. They could only imagine how much effort it took to make them, not to mention how beautifully and intricate they were designed. They were grand masterpieces.

"It's cake?" [Grey]

"No, obviously it's cake! I'm asking why did you make these?! One of these alone can feed a whole village, and you made two of them?!" [Kris]

Kris couldn't keep his emotions in check anymore. While he knew Grey and Yuna did many strange things from time to time, he still didn't expect they'll just whip out two massive cakes out of the blue.

Well, it wasn't only Kris. Everyone was in a state of shock and surprise. Even Zeke who was usually energetic was still frozen as he scaled the cake. Its size alone was intimidating and domineering.

"Ah, well... From where I came from, there's a tradition called 'Cake Cutting' initiated by the bride and groom. It is said to symbolize the husband and wife's first task and commitment to one another, so I thought we'd bake some cakes for you." [Grey]

There was only silence after they explained their actions. Both the bouquet toss and the cake cutting. It was the first time they had heard of such customs. It was bound to make them surprised and a little curious.

Still, the word "commitment" resounded clearly in Kris and Aria's heart. Who knew that such simple gestures of cutting cake together could mean so much. It might be strange to them, but it was also interesting and worth the try.

"Haah... Really, you and your customs..." [Kris]

"Fufufu, Why don't we try it? We already have the cakes anyways. It would be a waste if we just let them be." [Valka]

"Yes! I also want to eat some cake!" [Zeke]

Prompted by the others, Grey handed Kris and Aria a cutting knife. And like the wind flying freely, words quickly spread around about the cake cutting and curious eyes were drawn to the center stage. Even from far away, the large cakes were visible to everyone's eyes.

"Somehow, this feels a little nerve-wracking, isn't it?" [Aria]

Whispered Aria softly as she and Kris held the cutting knife together, their hands touching each other's gently and dearly. There was a reddish tint showing on her cheeks, gracing Kris' eyes. It didn't take long before he got flustered too.

"Yeah..." [Kris]

Their cheeks red and blushing, Kris and Aria made the first slice on the cakes. Since there were two, they sliced twice over. And as tradition would go, after cutting the cakes, they fed one another. They tasted both sweetness and bitterness, a taste just like how love was.

Clap Clap Clap

As soon as they fed each other at the same time, not only did the flavors explode in their mouths, loud cheers and congratulations also boomed in the air. It was only then that their faces truly reddened, realizing how many eyes were looking at them.

"Like I thought, this really is embarrassing..." [Aria]

"Tell me about it..." [Kris]

Their cheeks flushed as one could be, the cake cutting finished smoothly. After the groom and bride, the people slowly took turns and lined up, cutting themselves some delicious cakes for them to enjoy

The villagers were especially fond of the chocolate cake. While it has a tinge of the bitterness, its sweetness balanced it out, it was true that many people were drawn to it because it was new, many people also fell in love with a single bite.

Tunes and melodies played and danced in the air once again as the celebration continued. Some ate, some danced, some chatted and laughed heartily, and many congratulated the bride and groom.

As the sun set, streetlamps illuminated the central plaza and the wedding reception was still far from finished. Now, there was a long line to be seen as people lined up one after another. At the very end, there was Kris and Aria, sitting carefreely. It was time for gift giving!

"Aria, Kris, here's our gift. I hope you'll like it." [Falroe]

The very first to give their gifts were none other than the bride's parents, Falroe and Valka. Their gift was a pair of elven charms which has been a tradition for the parents to give to their children.

They weren't just normal charms either. They were made with alchemy and enchanting imbued into handmade crafts, symbolizing a happy life together. Charms which couldn't be found anywhere else.

"Mom, Dad, thank you... We'll treasure it." [Aria]

"Fufufu, then that's enough for us." [Valka]

After Falroe and Valka, the next to give their gift was Reina and Zeke. Reina gave the two handmade clothing whilst Zeke gave them another charm as he mimicked his parents. It wasn't very well made but it still made the newlyweds happy nonetheless.

And as one would expect, following the order, the next turn was for Grey and Yuna. In their hands, there was a familiar, small present in the form of a white jewelry box with red engravings all over it.

"Mister Kris, Miss Aria, here, it's from the Guildmaster. We don't know what's inside it, but we hope you'll like it." [Grey]

"From the Guildmaster? That old man?" [Kris]

Ryes full of curiosity, Kris and Aria carefully opened the present. Beautiful gleams shimmered as soon as they did as two beautiful bracelets were revealed. One had a dark blue gem embedded on it while the other had a bright yellow gem.

"Bracelets...?" [Aria]

"I never knew that old man liked jewelry..." [Kris]

Kris and Aria mumbled to themselves as they inspected the bracelets with great interest. Meanwhile, Grey, rather than bracelets, looked at the stones with familiarity in his eyes. It was then that a sudden thought entered his mind.

"Ah! So that's what it meant!" [Grey]

"Huh? What do you mean, Grey?" [Kris]

"Ah, Mister Kris, you see..." [Grey]

Grey explained the meaning of the stones together as he remembered it in the knowledge God gave him. The gemstones found in the bracelets were none other than the Phantom Sapphire and Angel Eye Garnet, the jewels of night and day, respectively.

The Phantom Sapphire represents peace, unity, and balance while the Angel Eye Garnet meant health, hope, and happiness. They aren't just normal gemstones either as they glow brightly when brought close together.

When together, these two gemstones represent a totally different meaning. It is to be together in both the happiest and darkest of times, supporting and becoming the beacon of light for one another. It is the very symbol of love and togetherness.

"Haah... That old man... He really..." [Kris]

Kris was at a loss for words. While he may not say it, Gaston has already become his father figure whom he respects very much. While it was a shame he couldn't attend the wedding, he was still very happy. He couldn't be any happier.

"Then, I guess Grey and Yuna's present were the cakes from before?" [Aria]

"Ah, no, actually, they're all still in our storage ring. It will take a lot of space, so I'll be taking them out one by one." [Grey]

""Eh?"" [Kris and Aria]

Aria asked as she saw no present left in their hands, but oh how wrong she was. One after another, Grey took out fabrics, music boxes, wines, and all sorts of things, making people wonder just how much money they have spent.

But amongst the presents taken out, the one which took the most attention was a small, box-looking thing with buttons and a large piece of circular glass in front of it. Neither of them knew what it was.

"Grey, this is...?" [Aria]

"Oh, that... It's a camera." [Grey]

"A camera?" [Aria]

Aria once again looked at the camera and stared at it like a kid who just found a new, strange object. Not only her, the others were also the same. Yuna had seen the object at the wedding, but even she didn't know what it was.

It was only natural after all, it was not an object of this world. It took a lot of planning, designing, crafting, and enchanting to make. It was only when Grey used his "Divine Eye" and "Divine Mind" as reference along with his knowledge that he managed to complete it. It was one of his biggest projects.

"Well, it's quite hard to explain so I think it's better to show it in action. Mister Kris, Miss Aria, could you smile for me please?" [Grey]

Still puzzled about what was going on, the newlyweds stood up from their seats and took a few steps back. They then smiled at Grey's request, and then...

Flash

... a quick flash illuminated the stage for a hot moment. Soon after, a piece of paper came out of the device, slowly blooming with colors as it dried out.

"Mister Kris, Miss Aria, here you go." [Grey]

Grey handed the photo to the two, and the moment they saw it, surprise and awe filled their hearts. What was before them was even clearer than a portrait, an image which fully captured their memories together. It was what Grey wanted to gift them.

"Grey, this is..." [Aria]

"It's nothing much. I just wanted the two of you to have a way to commemorate your happiest moments in your new life together. I hope you use it well." [Grey]

The camera was handed over to Kris and Aria, and along it were a couple of already printed photos. Walking down the aisle, the exchanging of vows, the kiss, and many more. Grey had given them the memories he captured through the camera's lenses.

From using light magic to bend light and capture many angles and illusion magic to hide the camera itself, Grey made a lot of effort to surprise the two. But seeing their bewildered yet smiling expressions, it was an effort which was worth it.

Grey could only give them a couple hundred photo papers, but those also meant a couple hundred memories. In a world where everything is washed away by the tides of time, it was the greatest gift of all. They couldn't be any more grateful.

"Ah, oh right, here's another one. It's a special one so I hope you like it. Especially you, Mister Kris." [Grey]

"Hm?" [Kris]

The gratitude Kris once felt was quickly broken as soon as he saw the photo. What was contained there was him just before the wedding, shaking in nervousness with a face as pale as the dead. A special one, indeed.

"Grey.... You bastard.... That's it, you're finished!" [Kris]

Bursts of wind brewed on the stage as Grey escaped from the scene and Kris chased after him. The latter's face having hints of red from both embarrassment and anger, embarrassment of being seen by his bride in such a state.

The chase continued and the people could only enjoy the show. Even the bride was giggling to herself as she looked at the photo once again, turning back her gaze towards the man who has now become his husband. It was the happiest day of her life.

CHAPTER 153 END

7