Chapter 1 Train Ride
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The heavy steam train rattled in an even rhythm as it fled further away from Blue city towards its destination: Hollyhill Town. The tickets were expensive, as this train was one of the more grandiose rides; the interior design leaving no question about it. The floor was covered by a deep red carpet that matched the dark wooden panels on the walls. Three chandeliers decorated the ceiling and the jewels would jingle against one another creating a gentle melody. It was specifically designed for tourism and for rich people to spend their money on. They were the only ones who didn’t think such gaudiness was unnecessary. 

For the man sitting alone by the window, this train ride was an investment rather than a leisure expense. His appearance was less kept than the other passengers, his chin was covered by a stubble and was not long enough to be considered a beard. He wore a heavy dark coat that seemed to swallow his figure, making him look very intimidating. His dark brows were furrowed as he sat in deep thought.

   Detective Hal Collins wasn’t rich by all means. You could say he was living on a budget, especially recently after he had just created his own private detective agency. Needless to say it wasn’t going very well. He had been trying his hardest for the past month but the only people who would hire him were old women looking for their cats. Maybe he should have just started a pet finding company, at least then he could advertise to people who would actually want his help. 

   Despite his pessimistic attitude, Collins was never one to give up that easily. That was why he was on this train in the first place. The mayor of Hollyhill Town had sent a very urgent and detailed letter asking for his help. A mysterious murdercase in the smalltown tucked in a valley between the mountains. Surely there wasn’t a better way to redeem his past failures and to regain his pride, than to solve this case. 

Hollyhill Town was very small and at the very northern border of the country. It wasn’t famous but rather infamous for its ”crazy country lunatics”. At least that was about the only thing Collins knew about it. ”The people there are insane, they worship some wolfgod or something” - he had heard a former colleague once say. Though rumours were rumours and he if anyone knew not to trust what people say so easily. 

   

The train began to slow down as the scenery turned more and more rural. Tall mountains rose on either side and created a deep valley. Suddenly Collins felt like he was about to enter the mouth of a terrifying beast. A beast that could swallow him whole and destroy what's left of his pride. But he couldn't get scared now, after all of his effort. He shook his head and closed his notebook that laid open on the table. Packing his belongings, he let the last pieces of doubt leave his mind. He was a detective and he wouldn't be held back by corrupt officers anymore. He would solve this case. 

0