CHAPTER 52 – DOWNPOUR TEARS
77 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 52 - DOWNPOUR TEARS

The sky is now pure black. The stars which were once up there are now covered by nimbostratus clouds. I felt a drizzle on my hand and then looked up at the sky.

It’s starting to rain.

“They got away.” Siferas gritted as she let go of her swords which immediately disintegrated into glowing clouds of dust. Then, the Gladiatrix Champion fixated her eyes on my bleeding fist. “Are you guys okay?”

“This is just a scratch,” I muttered as I closed my eyes.

“I think you may need to have that hand checked out. There might still be medics near that hospital.” The Kaiser Champion Nigel said.

“I said I’m fine.” I slightly raised my voice.

Firius and Esthesia looked at me with confused eyes. They must be silently questioning why I’m being too stubborn. And they must have realized my sudden change in mood and maybe personality.

I had a feeling that the people here will just annoy me so I had to get away from this scene immediately. I walked away with heavy steps until I passed right beside Raynevere who is still sobbing on the ground.

I just ignored her. I kept walking until her voice stopped me.

“Mister Elzane.” Raynevere finally stood up.

I glanced at her and saw the poor lady who is just a shell of her once-glorious self. Her long dark gray hair is all down and wet. Her frilly white dress is drenched in the rain. I’d never felt that all of us on this rooftop are already soaked heavily until I realized that the rain is now falling.

My lips moved on their own.

“Was it true? Was it true that you wanted to marry me because of my family’s riches and reputation in the company?”

“...”

Raynevere did not answer. She just bowed down to hide her facial expressions with her wet long bangs. Her metallic elf ears pointed down like a depressed puppy’s.

“Was it true that you proposed to be my Gladiatrix and join the Battle Fiesta to take back the company?” I asked again.

“...”

Raynevere remained silent. But this time, she’s trembling. She also bit her lip to suppress her emotions from breaking out.

“Was it true that all the good things you showed to me, all those dates, all those lovey-dovey gestures you made me see, all those overly-friendly and eager-to-marry personalities in front of me, are just made to manipulate me?”

“...”

Raynevere is still quiet. She clenched the tip of her skirt with both of her shaking hands. Her head lowered.

I don’t get her. She’s not affirming nor denying anything. Of course, I will not get anything from her. I won’t even know if she will lie to me or not.

I was about to turn my back on her and continue walking away, but she finally muttered.

“I… I’m sorry, Mister Elzane.”

“I knew it,” I said as I squeezed my fists, planning to make my hand tear itself. “I knew something was off with you. You’re always too kind to me. You never went mad at me. And you’re always too clingy. I knew that you’re doing this for your company and your family, but I’m just brushing it off.”

Raynevere’s shoulders shook. I saw a glimpse of her face which is soaking wet. I do not know if she’s crying or if her cheeks are just drenched because of the rain. Her purple eyes stared at me.

“Sorry, Mister Elzane. I took advantage of your feelings. I heard your confession back then and took it for my benefit. You are the key to my purpose to recover my family’s corporation. You are the key for me to rescue my Grandpa from that Masked Kaiser. It’s because you are the only one left for me.”

I’m almost out of words. Raynevere has finally confessed her crimes right in front of my face. All my suspicions about all-too-good fairy tales have now exploded, and reality has finally slapped me in full force.

She just said that she just saw me as an object, a bloody key, just to make her selfish ambitions come true. Everything up until now was just a lie fabricated by her. I’ve been dancing on the palm of her hands like her fucking personal circus.

“So… You never loved me,” I asked, still in denial. Tears started flowing from my eyes, but the downpour of rain masked my pathetic resolve.

“I’m sorry, Mister Elzane. I couldn’t reciprocate your feelings.” Raynevere said.

That’s all I needed to hear. No more fairy tales. No more fake lovers. No more lies.

I immediately turned away and stepped on the puddle towards the exit, never to look back.

1