Chapter 14 – Runic Carvings
181 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just noticed another 5 star, which helps to offset the 1 star.  Also, since I was able to finish chapter 32, I'll post another chapter.

 

Baris yawned and stretched.

"Another morning, but I don't feel anxious like I used to. I like this world." He turned to look at the wristlet he had carved, and stopped cold. "What the hell." The bone carving was gone.

"Did it fall out of the tree?" He panicked and jumped out of the tree. When he landed, the first thing he did was look around for tracks. Eventually, he walked over to the place he carved the wristlet at. There, on the rock he sat on to carve the wristlet, was a red leather covered book. He picked it up as the gold words glowed.

"Runic Carvings." He whispered. He opened the book, and started to read. "Runic carvings are carvings powered by manna. They grant the blessings of the carving itself. If the carving is of a stone, it will grant rock hardness to the skin and bones. This is a temporary blessing as it only lasts until the manna is dispersed. A mage, or anyone who can use manna, can invest a large amount into the piece of jewelry, or armor if that is where the carving is placed. Knowledge of this lost art is rarely granted to those on Ceru, as many will use these artifacts poorly, or use them for evil means. Be cautious of who you give them to." The book slowly disappeared, and the knowledge of how to make runic carvings appeared within his consciousness.

Baris sat down quietly to consider what he had just learned, and to examine his status. Some things that he expected had occurred. The novice spells were labeled as maxed out, only had their names, and with the novice tag no longer attached.

He had some information about other spells, such as full body cleanse which would eventually evolve into Cure, a type of purification spell, but not remove the original. As far as he could understand, the reason they evolved was that his understanding of those spells also evolved so that he could create the new ones.

His mapping skill also had a bit more information. The detection skills would evolve as well. When they reached the next level, their range would expand, and costs would go up to reflect the newest level. However, the original weaker version would no longer exist.

Hostile presence detection would also evolve into another type of detection skill, but he didn't know what.

He also came to the conclusion that the book was a gift from the one who took the carving. He smiled a bit.

"I guess my first carving should go to the one who holds benevolent thoughts towards me. It is only proper."

 

* * *

 

"Jarbuk, you've returned." Zentha smiled warmly at him as he pulled his wagon up to the back. "Nuella said you had brought something back, but I wasn't sure what it was." Jarbuk looked at the much taller woman carefully.

"Shaala said that you were a mare." He said quietly. Zentha blinked in surprise.

"She told you?"

"The stranger has some abilities in magic that can identify people." Jarbuk said quietly. "He didn't know what an elf was, but when she introduced herself, the label 'stallion' appeared." She looked around quickly.

"Not here. Can we take care of what you brought back first, then we'll go and have a nice long talk?" He nodded, which made her sigh in relief. "So what did Nuella send you out for?" She walked over, her bulky, but quite feminine body still made some noise on the boards of the loading dock. Jarbuk lifted the cover over the barrel.

"Oh. I think we need to get these in under cover right away, and also talk in private a lot quicker than I imagined." She looked thoroughly shaken, and Jarbuk could understand why. Even he still could not believe just how pure that salt was. She looked around and frowned.

"Where in the hell are your two helpers? Did those lazy bastards take off already?" She asked.

"Dead. They secretly followed myself and Baris to the salt deposit." She groaned and rolled her eyes.

"Alright, can you handle it, Jara?" She asked softly.

"I'll take care of it, Zentha, but don't use that tone on me until we talk. I almost became her midnight snack, and I want to know why someone didn't tell me." Zentha blushed at his harsh tone, but also nodded quickly.

She had wanted to tell this dwarf why he shouldn't marry Shaala, but she wasn't allowed. Now, she could tell him, as Shaala had already confirmed the reason why.

Also, this more aggressive version of Jarbuk made her quite aroused. She wanted to see him growl at her. Above her, or below her, it didn't matter as long as they were in a heap of flesh.

 

* * *

 

"Aleda?" Shaala came into the Adventurers Guild with a grey wolf in her hand. The adventurers saw the wolf and paled a little. That was a beast that none of them could solo. Their eyes turned to Shaala, her chest, and to Neiren.

"Shaala, let's just go to her office." She tugged at Shaala's hand. "I'll go get Jaana. She might like some of these things he gave me." Shaala nodded, noticed her bit of unease towards the others, so she growled in their direction.

"Those who want to keep looking at my fairy will find my rapier shoved up his ass." She growled out. She also smirked as they all decided to give a pass on that idea. A minute later, Neiren came back with Jaana.

"They are getting bolder, Shaala. They wouldn't stop pestering me while you were gone, and it was only a few hours. They didn't have any business to do, but they didn't care about taking up my time." She said angrily. "I don't get paid to chat. I get paid to work, and they don't bring in any paying jobs!"

"Agreed. I think I'm going to have a long chat with Aleda about this. Maybe set some restrictions in place. If they don't want to work, then they should stay out." She walked into Aleda's office, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Aleda looked out the window, but didn't seem to see anything.

"Shaala. Keep your girls closer for a while. I feel something dark around us." Aleda said quietly. She turned in her chair. "A grey wolf?"

"That stranger, Baris, gave him to me to bring back. He also went into the grove, but once he realized that it was fairy lands, he gave what he harvested to Neiren." Jaana's eyes showed her surprise, while Neiren lifted a big basket she had moved the wild foods into, and put it on a nearby table.

"He gave me chicken mushrooms, apples, yams and leeks! Here, Jaana, take your pick! This was only picked this morning, so it should last a few days!" Jaana reached in and picked up a large portion of chicken mushroom. She took a large bite and rolled her eyes.

"Oh, it is like home!" She said, tears in her eyes. "I miss the trees. I used to fly from tree to tree, just to smell the chestnuts before returning to the house."

"We might be able to go back soon, Jaana." Neiren said. "He's culling the higher leveled wolves. It's still not safe, but it's getting closer to being safe for us." Aleda looked at Shaala.

"It's true. He let me eat the heart and liver of a level twenty blue wolf he just killed. Damnedest sight I've ever seen, Aleda." She sat down and leaned back in her chair. She quickly sat up and put the wolf on the desk, then leaned back again.

"Thanks. I am starving more then normal lately. I think I'm getting close to my cycle again." Aleda ripped open the belly of the wolf and sighed happily. "The blood is still warm. So good."

"Yeah, he's a unique human, Aleda. He waited until we were at his camp before he talked about the salt deposit. Jarbuk stayed behind to collect three barrels, and the guy didn't blink an eye. As though there is a lot more to get."

"Three barrels? I hope it's good stuff, and not that leftover crap they keep selling us. If they priced it at its real value, I wouldn't be so upset, but the price gouging is like I'm dealing with the underworld, or a demon." Aleda growled and dug into belly of the wolf. She pulled out the liver and ripped out a chunk with her teeth. She sighed happily.

"Jarbuk and I are no longer together." Shaala said softly. Aleda looked up at her.

"Finally drove him away?"

"No. That human has identification magic, but didn't scan me. He said it doesn't work if he doesn't know what species it is unless he actively casts it. Since he didn't, once he knew I was an elf, he could see the additional label of 'stallion'." Shaala said softly. Aleda stopped eating.

"I see. Did he seem disgusted?"

"No. Quite the contrary. He felt it was just the natural thing around here. I asked him not to say anything and I told Jarbuk the same thing. Jarbuk swore that he wouldn't tell anyone about stallions, but he would send word to his people that they should ask if the elf is a mare before wanting to marry. It would be safe if it was, but if they chose to ignore that advice, then that is on them." Shaala sighed sadly.

"You never wanted to hurt him. You should be happy that you no longer will." Aleda watched her junior, and saw the melancholy in her eyes.

"He was a good dwarf, Aleda. If he wasn't a male, I could have easily loved him. It's too bad he couldn't unbend a little." Jaana giggled.

"You mean it's too bad he couldn't bend over and take it like a fairy!" Shaala's face twitched before she started to laugh deep belly laughs. Even Aleda grinned at the joke.

"I wonder what Jara is doing now." Shaala said after her laughter faded away.

 

10