Chapter 25 – No Compassion For Fools
146 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"Little bastards don't leave anything but this little manna pebble." Baris growled as he pulled out his spear. "Not even worth that much. Just a hundred XP." He sighed a bit. "First Aid. Little bastards can still do damage." He looked at his spear.

"I need a better weapon. Where should I go? Noobville, and hope they are awake, or Steepbell?" Baris thought for a moment, and heard a whisper on the wind.

'Noobville.'

"Alright, since someone wants to guide, and give advice, I'll listen." He trotted down towards the small walled town, and killed a few more goblins on his way.

"Little bastards." He growled. He saw the two bodies, completely torn apart, and four goblins who sat around, their bellies bloated from eating so much, and one still gnawing on an arm.

Since he was completely incapable of stealth, Baris ran forward like a battering ram, and started a small killing spree.

"Fifteen of you little bastards--nope, make that sixteen." He said as he speared another one that crawled back over the wall to see what was wrong.

He snorted as he looked at the gate, and his status told him he leveled up. He was currently out of battle, so the only waste was a hundred points.

Baris looked around, and walked over to a large stone. He frowned, and thought about how he slugged that bear.

"What can it hurt? I wonder where the Adventurer's Guild is located. If I wake her up, she should be able to wake everyone else, right?" He picked up the stone.

"Goddess, please take it from here." He threw the stone half the size of his own body over the wall, like a shotput.

"I just pray it goes where it's supposed to."

 

* * *

 

"What the hell?" Alea sat up.

'HOSTILE PRESENCE DETECTION!' Alea took note of the many red warning bars on her status plate and jumped out of bed. There was a large stone on the floor that just came through the roof.

"Who in the fuck threw a boulder at me to wake me up!" She grabbed her sword and swiftly put her armor on.

After she came out her door, three little green buggers were in the lobby. The Adventurers Guild wasn't that large in Noobville, due to the small population.

"ALARM! ALARM! WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!" Alea's shouts brought her the attention of the goblins, but also woke up several sleepers on the main avenue.

What would have been an overnight massacre turned into a mop up mission with only a few casualties. Goblins weren't extremely dangerous unless undiscovered, or in significant numbers.

By waking up, they were able to cull the four or five dozen that managed to infiltrate the town before it could be turned into a ghost town.

Alea returned to the Adventurers Guild, her sword bloody, and her skin with a few punctures. She looked at Zentha who held a short sword and shield. She may be submissive to her stallion, but she was still a fierce sword and shield maiden.

"Goblins. In Noobville." She growled.

"I know, but how? Ask---you already know."

"Nuella is disappointed in us. We didn't know, didn't explore, scout, or check on anything. The adventurers stopped hunting, and therefore this was allowed to happen." She growled a bit.

"Calm, Zennie. What does she want us to do now?" Alea asked.

"Give him a good weapon and tell him to go north east, just passed the fairy grove." Zentha said.

"Him? Him who?" Alea asked and watched her mare roll her eyes.

"No wonder she's mad. The one who threw the boulder to wake you up."

 

* * *

 

"Baris." Alea said quietly as she stood outside the main gate of Noobville.

"Glad to see you're not a light sleeper." He smirked at the look in her eyes.

"Good aim."

"Nuella made it happen. I just threw. I need a better weapon as I don't have time to make enough spears. I'm sure that if I go north, I'll find more of these little snots." He said as he picked up a few more of the little crystals.

"Ax, or hammer? Both can translate well with spear usage." She held up a large bronze hammer, and a battle ax, both with four foot long handles. He smiled a bit.

"I haven't used such a large hammer before, but an ax? That I have used." He took the ax and smiled. "Did she tell you what direction I should go?"

"North east, just passed the fairy grove." She watched him turn and lope away. "Unbelievable. He runs into battle just because Nuella hinted that is where he should go. Not a care about what he might find." Alea turned and saw her mare.

"Of course he cares about what he'll find. That's why he's running in that direction." Zentha said with a look in her eyes that Alea had never seen before. It was hard, angry, and cold.

The blood of the citizens of Noobville should have upset her. Instead, there were adventurers inside these walls, safe and sound, because someone cursed never to set foot inside woke them from their slumber. That person now headed into danger, while guided by her goddess.

Some were still asleep, oblivious to the danger they were in, and were still in. Deep is the sleep of fools who put a knife at their own throats.

She had no compassion for such fools. Only anger.

 

* * *

 

"No wonder all these wolves were starving." Baris said as he cleaved a tenth goblin in two, and collected the manna crystal.

"Can't get meat from a goblin." Baris sighed, packed up his stash of meat, and hung most of the bear meat from the tree he slept in. He closed his eyes.

"Nuella, I don't want to feed these goblins." He stopped. "I'll leave half the bear in the tree. Can you get someone from Noobville to take it? I'll take more then I can eat in a week, and give some to any wolf packs I find."

'Good man.' Baris felt the whisper at his ear, and smiled a bit. He put his bag over his shoulder, and hefted the ax.

"Time to find out where these bastards are coming from."  He shook his head.  "An unknown dungeon. Geez, just how lazy have these hunters been? Don't they realize they've doomed themselves, or is the color of silver so wonderful, they would rather decorate their graves with it?" He shook his head and started off again.

Alea smirked a bit, and took the bundle that he left behind out of the tree with a well placed arrow.

"If this doesn't wake those humans up, nothing will."

 

4