Chapter 30 – the Beauty of Battle
119 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There are up to chapter 33 available on Patreon, and 35 for tier two.

 

"She's quite hard to get along with, Baris. She's strong, but also chaotic, and only longs for battle." Alea said in a strange tone.

"When you seek strength to protect, then battle is what you must do." Baris said in an equally quiet tone. "Peace has often been paved with the scars of war, and the blood of others."

"But war doesn't always seek to protect. It sometimes seeks to destroy." She said, her eyes now with a slightly reddish glow.

"Sometimes you have to destroy the enemy, Alea. Whether it is someone who seeks to use your strength to kill, a leader who seeks glory, an army that obeys orders, a soldier that kills for no reason other than he was told to, the difference between me and them is that I make my own decision as to what is right. Others let kings, generals, captains, or leaders tell them what to do without ever considering the consequences." He laid his shoulders back against a wall.

"When wars occurred in the past, one king wanted to rule a certain area. He paid soldiers to invade, siege a city, and take it over. Territory grew. Other kings fought and lost, or won, using soldiers who only obeyed in order to place those kings in control. There are plenty of excuses, but mostly, it's because they want to rule, and tell others to kill to let them rule. Petty excuses. Poor excuses for the shedding of blood." He snorted. "I seek to battle to grow stronger, to protect the areas I know are worth protecting. If someone seeks to destroy them, then I seek to destroy the source. Destruction is often necessary as it may prevent more suffering in the end." He sighed tiredly.

"War isn't pretty to some, but battle is not without its beauty, as long as it's done for a reason, not an excuse. I kill goblins because they will murder innocent people who want to live a peaceful life. That isn't against the goddess who governs battle. That gives her a reason to act. Righteous Anger. Battle for the right reasons. Nothing wrong with that." Baris grinned a little, and looked like a villain again.

"Besides, a little chaos is natural. A wind storm will break branches, fell weakened trees, and make the natural surroundings grow stronger to compensate. Order is fine in some places, but chaos has its place as well."

 

* * *

 

"Oh no. Not you!" Ethys cried out. A tall heavily muscled woman stood in the door with a feral grin on her lips. Her long raven black hair seemed to billow out behind her, while her sharp teeth gave her a demonic look.

She wore leather armor, with a reddish sheen that people said was the blood of her victims in war. Nuella knew that it was not blood at all as she had the armor made for her sister, and dyed it red herself. She liked how the leather caged her sister's curves, yet showed off her muscles and raw power.

"Aw, sister. You make me feel bad that you're not happy to see me."

Nuella smiled gently at her sister who approached her from behind, and lightly massaged her shoulders.

"Hello, Lily. Have you taken an interest in Baris?" She asked quietly. The hands became a little bit more firm and made Nuella moan softly.

"You have a lot of tension, dear sister." Lilith looked at her other sister, and growled lightly. "It feels like some have played fast and loose with the rules we live by." Nuella lightly grasped her sister's hand.

'Do not speak of it, Lily. She needs to learn her lesson, as she still hasn't canceled the curse.' Nuella said to her through their shared connection.

'Why did you allow it?'

'A lesson needed to be taught. I've spent a lot of my time making this world work for all of us. It's not easy. Now, she throws it out of balance for everyone. Our poor sister, Neia, must be out of her mind right now. She's much too gentle for what is coming to the land.' She felt Lilith sigh slightly.

'I won't be able to halt the wars, but I can watch over your agent, Nu.' Lilith said gently, and walked towards her out of the mists.

'I know. Go have a chat with Neia, Lily. Let her know I've put things in place and she'll get her corner of peace back again.' Nuella smiled and appeared out of the mists their mental connection made. 'Make sure you appear to Baris in his dream, dear sister.' Lilith smiled wide, her sharp teeth gleamed brightly as she licked them with a hot vulgar look at her beautiful gentle sister.

'Oh, I'll show him.' she grinned and reached out. 'Now it's time to remind you of the beauty of chaos.' Nuella's breath caught a little as she breathed in at her desk.

Within their shared mental space, a place created when the two minds touched, Lilith grasped her robe and tore it open. Her soft unblemished flesh filled Lilith's mind with raging lust.

'I always remember the beauty of my dear sister.'

 

* * *

 

"The stairs are different this time." Baris said quietly.

"Probably go away from the main part of the dungeon. This would have been the floor where we met the second strongest of the dungeon, followed by the boss room. Now, it should be stronger than what we've already dealt with, but not near the boss area." She growled a little, but smiled at the same time.

"Then hopefully, no more green rats. I hate those things." They walked slowly down the stairs, gauging the area as they went down.

"Well, that was correct. No more goblins." Alea said with a low voice. "However, kobolds are dog faced goblins, and even more sneaky." She growled and turned her face in shock as Baris swung his hammer. She felt the wind on her face, and turned.

"Yep. Quite sneaky. Learn to cast your detect spell before you walk into an area." She rolled her eyes as she now knew he just taught her a lesson.

"I'm learning." She said with a slight pout, and watched as his face reflected that same villain grin.

"I'm going to ride you hard until you get it." He turned and walked to the open door, and didn't see her cheeks flush brightly.

"Please don't tell my sister, Baris." She whispered. "She'll really ride me like a damned mare!" Alea scanned the area ahead, and pursed her lips a bit.

"A large room. Was this the boss room?" She asked, and moved up beside Baris. "What do you think?" She asked him quietly.

"I'm detecting fifty kobolds. No specials. The guy on the wall was a sentry who disappeared into the wall due to a depression. It didn't keep its hostility concealed, just its body." He looked at his hammer. "Let's thin the numbers a little." She nodded and held out her hand.

"Same as before?" She watched him nod, but she frowned. "Let me scan them myself." He chuckled.

"Good girl. Never fully trust your back to someone else. I don't have ill intent, but I could be testing you." He said and watched her scan. "Did you learn anything?"

"Our magic won't do it all. It might take out half their hp." She said quietly.

"Correct. Flames will work, or we can slow them down with snow and gust. Snow doesn't do as much damage, but it will slow them down." he said, and watched her eyes.

"We don't know what they can do, and a lack of knowledge could be fatal." She pondered it for a few more seconds. "Shouldn't we go with flames, and test their metal?" He grinned.

"I like the way you think."

 

3