[Rewrite] Act 1: Blue Ocean Pavilion – Chapter 1: Oscar Terr of Moniht Village
7.7k 12 117
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two bright suns started peering over the horizon, followed by the crowing of the roosters. The dawn brought forth a gentle breeze that swept over the fields of swaying grains.

On a hill overlooking the large fields of grain, young Oscar hummed a simple tune while flipping through an aged book. Its frail pages, yellowed by age, did not crumple or wrinkle under Oscar's delicate touch. His obsidian eyes followed the words on the pages.

"Oscar!"

Oscar heard his mother calling for him and staggered on his numb legs, tumbling down the hill but grasping the book to his chest. The dizzy spell from the fall lasted a short moment, and Oscar was relieved to find the book was alright.

"Coming, Mother!" Oscar shouted and sprinted through the fields of grain. In the distance was a small house with a chimney spewing smoke. Oscar smiled, seeing his mother at the entrance with her arms crossed.

"Hurry up!" His mother, Gwen Terr, shouted with her arms crossed. She was a middle-aged woman with rough brown hair and eyes but a rosy complexion. She wore a simple dress with a brown vest.

Her usually kind eyes narrowed at Oscar's appearance.

There was a mess of grass, dirt, and straw all over Oscar's brown pants and white shirt. She stomped ahead and pinched her son's rough cheek without remorse.

"First, you made me worry about your lateness, and now you come back in this dirty mess? Come in!" Gwen dragged her son inside.

Oscar meekly followed, scratching his head. He could understand why his mother was so anxious today. Today was the enrollment day for the Blue Ocean Pavilion, and everyone in the village was looking forward to it.

Gwen rubbed a wet towel over his face and black hair to clean the dirt.

"Mother, that hurts!"

"You do this on such an important day! You know the Blue Ocean Pavilion is taking in students. You need to make a good impression." Gwen scrubbed harder, inducing more groans from Oscar.

"I don't think they would care about my looks as long as I have Exolsia." Oscar took a dry towel to wipe his face, recalling the previous years the Blue Ocean Pavilion came to conduct their test and their explanations.

Exolsia was the core that existed in all living things that allowed them to become Exalts, the practitioners of the mystic way of Ein. Ein was the quintessential energy that encompassed all of existence. It was in the air, the ground, the water, and every living thing.

Exalts used their Exolsia core to absorb the Ein around them to further their power and Ein, becoming capable of great feats. Oscar remembered reading tales of Exalts sending forth a great downfall of rain and other awe-inspiring feats.

However, this was only possible if a person had an Exolsia core. The Exolsia was divided into separate grades from one to nine. Grade one was the bare minimum required for someone to be able to absorb Ein, with each subsequent grade allowing them to absorb even more.

However, it was said that Exolsia was related to bloodlines and certain bloodlines had higher chances of manifesting an Exolsia core. Oscar understood his prospects were not the best because his parents did not have an Exolsia core. They were a family of regular folks.

"I'll probably be like Mother and Father." Oscar grumbled, but Gwen heard it and patted his head with a smile.

"Don't worry. There's always a chance that you might have the potential. Even if you don't have one, you can still live happily here." Gwen hugged her son.

Oscar smiled and got out of Gwen's hug, going outside. He was happy to live here with his parents but was interested in becoming an Exalt. Ever since he saw an Exalt from the Blue Ocean Pavilion fly down, he yearned to do the same.

"I could travel from place to place, meet all kinds of people and read books from everywhere." Oscar looked longingly at the sky. "I can only hope, but Mother is also right."

"Son! What's got you so down?" A vibrant man called out. It was Oscar's father, Henry Terr. He had tanned skin from working outside for years, a frazzled bed of black hair, well-toned muscles, and obsidian black eyes like Oscar.

Henry was seated on a horse that was pulling a cart with wheels.

"Nothing, father." Oscar turned around and shouted, "Mother! Father is here!"

Gwen took large steps while holding a basket of small foods for breakfast. "Let's hurry and leave."

Oscar got into the cart with his mother, munching on the bread and cheese in the basket. Oscar's father, Henry, snapped the reins, and they departed from their farm and headed to the village.

As they departed, Oscar took in the scenery before him. He loved roaming around the wide fields of grain, feeding the horses in the stables, and roaming the vast forests stretched to the ends of the horizon.

"Even if I become an Exalt and see all kinds of views, I'll still miss this place."

Half an hour passed, and Oscar was still in the cart with his family. Henry and Gwen were still talking until another cart caught up to them.

"Hey, Terrs! Fine morning, isn't it?" The man looked similar to Henry but with amber hair. Inside the man's cart was a young girl with scarlet red eyes and hair. Oscar looked at the girl with a smile.

"Carlson, I thought you'd still be sleeping and miss this. Isabella looks pretty as always." Henry laughed.

The pair was Carlson and Isabella Thorn. They were the farm next to the Terr's, so the two families were well acquainted. Oscar had known Isabella since they were children.

While the parents were talking, Oscar made small talk with Isabella. "How are you doing, Isabella?"

Isabella beamed with a smile, showing her pearl-white teeth. Oscar recalled the village nickname for Isabella, the Moniht Rose, a very fitting title. Oscar looked at her supple rosy cheeks and long eyelashes, feeling his heart skip a beat for a moment.

"I'm excited! I have a chance to become an Exalt!" Isabella clenched her hands together as if in prayer. "If I become an Exalt…."

Isabella quieted down suddenly.

"If you become an Exalt, what?" Oscar tilted his head in confusion.

"Nothing." Isabella sighed and looked at the aged book in Oscar's hand.

"Still reading so many books? Aren't you worried about your chances?" Isabella asked.

"Books help me calm down; you know that. I am worried, and I want to become an Exalt; it's been my dream." Oscar frowned, but his brows loosened as his mouth curled up after turning toward his parents. "But I know I have a home here too. If I cannot become an Exalt, that's the end of that chapter in my life. But I do hope I become one."

Isabella crossed her arms and sighed, mumbling, "Ridiculous."

"Sorry?"

"Nothing." Isabella looked away. "Is that breakfast? May I have some?"

The two ate their breakfast as they came closer to the village. Soon, they arrived at the edge of a paved road with a scattering of rough cobblestone houses around.

"We're here!"

"Ah, this place is always crowded at the enrollment times. Hopefully, we can finally have an Exalt from our village." Carlson looked around the crowd that was gathering around a stone platform.

Back then, the proctor determined that he had no inherent Exolsia and was left depressed. But his family comforted him, and he moved on from those dreams.

He looked affectionately at his daughter. He hoped she could pass. Even if she failed, he would make sure she lived a good life and married a good man.

'Speaking of a good man.'

Carlson turned his attention to Oscar, who was looking around in wonder.

'Oscar would surely take care of Isabella.'

He had watched the two grow up. If nothing else, they would have each other.

"Oscar, what are you doing?" Isabella noticed Oscar mouthing off silently.

"I'm trying to count everyone here. It's always amazing at this time."

Isabella chuckled at Oscar's silliness. She felt more at ease due to his antics.

The clamors and ruckus brought up by the crowd in their excitement incited the animals nearby to stomp their hooves. However, all of this was overwhelmed by a loud deafening boom that resounded from the skies.

"An Exalt!" Someone yelled, pointing up.

Oscar gazed at the sky. There was a ship, one hundred meters long, with sails on its sides instead of a mast traversing through the air. On its deck was a man who jumped down and flew down, landing softly on the stone platform.

"I am Lewis Walsh, the proctor for this year's enrollment." His voice magnified, echoing through everyone's ears.

Lewis Walsh was clad in the Blue Ocean Pavilion's spectacular blue linen clothes. His eyes were sharp, and his chin broad. He radiated an intimidating aura that made the crowd step several feet away from the platform.

Oscar felt his spine shiver at a single glance from Lewis. It was an instinctual fear, as if Oscar was a helpless mouse before a predator.

"Let all the youths that have reached fifteen years of age come forth."

At Lewis's instruction, the parents in the crowd began to push and encourage their teenagers to go forward, but many were still fidgeting, nervous about coming forward.

Isabella strode forward with Oscar, her eyes fixated on Lewis. Her actions encouraged the others to follow suit, and they moved to the stone platform.

Lewis nodded when all the prospects had gathered and unveiled a clear crystal orb.

"The Blue Ocean Pavilion has made a decision. Those with Grade Four or higher will be accepted while the others will be rejected."

The crowd erupted into chaos. Some stomped their feet and swore, while others bowed and pleaded to overturn the decision. It was hard enough for their small village to have someone with even Grade One; now, they had to be at least Grade Four. How fair was this?

"SILENCE!"

Lewis stomped his foot, cracking the stone platform.

"The Pavilion's decision is final. We have done this due to the high amount of deaths amongst the lower grades. Accept it."

Oscar and everyone else audibly gulped as sweat flowed down their forehead. Their hands were pale as fear overwhelmed them.

"You! Step forward and place your hand on the orb." Lewis pointed at a boy on the platform. The boy shuddered and froze like ice, but Lewis's threatening eyes prompted him to move.

The boy gripped the orb with a pleading look as if praying. But the orb did not do anything, remaining as transparent as ever.

"Nothing, that means you have no Exolsia. Rejected. Next." Lewis coldly waved the boy off the platform. The boy could not resist as the air locked around him, forcing him into the crowd.

"I said next!" Lewis directed another youth to step forward. But the crystal did not shine for her at all.

More and more people were brought up but rejected. None had an Exolsia core, but then someone finally made the orb react. However, he was only in Grade Three.

The Grade Three examinee pleaded with Lewis that it was just one grade. He claimed he could make up the difference by himself. But his cries fell on deaf ears as Lewis blew him back to the crowd.

'Seems this batch is not any good.'

Lewis was one of many proctors deployed all over the Brilliant Drake Empire. Of course, as an Exalt, it was beneath him to do menial tasks. But, the better-talented students a proctor could bring back, the more rewards they would receive.

He was frustrated that he drew this backwater place. The reasoning was the slim chance a mutation could occur where a person could have powerful Exolsia without any pedigree or background.

'Why was I so unlucky? Why couldn't I have drawn a city?' Lewis pointed at a certain scarlet-haired girl, Isabella.

Isabella took several deep breaths and placed her hands on the orb, staring without blinking at it.

The crystal shone a bright silver that startled the crowd and Isabella. Lewis's eyes went as wide as saucers with his jaw hanging down. His previous majesty and sharpness seemed like a lie compared to his improper demeanor now.

"G-Grade Eight! You have Grade Eight Exolsia! You're a prodigy!" Lewis was still in shock until a wide smile appeared on his face. He never expected such a gem here. Bringing such a talent would be a great boon to him.

Carlson, Henry, and Gwen were ecstatic as they cheered for Isabella. The people around them looked on in jealousy, thinking why it wasn't their child who had such talent.

Isabella broke out with a wide smile that enchanted several young boys there. But they knew there was no chance for them now. This girl would surely climb to the top as an Exalt.

Oscar was also dumbfounded by what had occurred. He never imagined that Isabella would have such talent.

'Good for you, Isabella!' He gave a thumbs up.

"Stand by me until the tests are finished." Lewis regained his composure and moved on to the other candidate, Oscar.

"You're the last one."

Oscar stepped forward. Lewis observed Oscar had come together with Isabella.

'Is it possible that he also has talent?' Lewis looked expectantly at Oscar.

Oscar quickly gripped the crystal. It immediately shone a scarlet red. Henry and Gwen did not know the meaning of this color and grasped each other's hands.

Lewis did not put on an excited face that dampened their hopes. They were worried. Why hasn't Lewis announced the result?

"Sir? What Grade do I have?" Oscar eagerly awaited for Lewis to speak but realized the Exalt looked slightly disappointed.

"O-oh! Yes. You have Grade Four Exolsia. You've just met the cutoff."

Lewis had his hopes too high and accidentally let his disappointment show. He was embarrassed to have made such a mistake. Grade Four was just normal, nothing too special compared to Grade Eight.

"You've passed. Congratulations."

Oscar stepped up next to Isabella. He was a bit down that he did not have Exolsia like Isabella.

Lewis clapped his hands together and addressed the crowd.

"These two children are the only ones to pass the requirements. I will take them over to the Blue Ocean Pavilion tomorrow morning."

Oscar looked at his parents, who were weeping with joy. Although he didn't think it'd happen, it did. He was going to be an Exalt.

His heart trembled as he broke out into a wide smile under his parents' cheers.

117