[Rewrite] Act 1: Blue Ocean Pavilion – Chapter 6: Climb Up, The Final Token
2.2k 7 89
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Oscar and Frederick finally came up to the mountain. However, it was more like a very steep cliff. It reached high up and was full of small bumps and grooves that allowed people to climb.

"Are you sure about this?" Frederick looked up.

"Do you want to pass or not?" Oscar retorted.

Frederick scoffed at Oscar's words and scrutinized his gaze across the cliffside. Then his face lifted in delight as his finger pointed toward a particular spot midway up to the cliff. "There it is! Your guess was right on the money."

"It's just not one! There are two tokens?!"

The gleaming of the golden tokens was very distinct and easily recognizable once spotted. Oscar could see two golden lights shining like flickering stars on the cliffside.

"Two tokens?" Frederick's eyebrow lifted in disbelief. "What kind of coincidence is this? Could the elders of the Pavilion be controlling this trial? If so, that makes sense that two tokens are conveniently placed here for us."

"It must be a part of the trial. Though I wonder how they would handle the situation in a fight." Oscar stepped ahead to the cliffside, followed by Frederick. He traced his hand across the coarse surface when he reached the rocky structure. Finally, he grasped a spot and put his foot on a crevice. "Let's climb. We only have half a day."

Frederick jumped up and secured himself firmly on the cliffside. He looked around and found a good place to move towards. His movements were quite efficient, and his climbing speed was quick, astonishing Oscar, who didn't start climbing yet.

"Wait for me!" Oscar had some experience climbing trees, so he was somewhat competent, but his speed was still slower than Frederick's. After a short while, he began to sweat profusely, and his fingers were trembling.

Frederick looked back. "Hurry up, Os. You need to work more on your stamina."

Oscar scowled and grumbled, "I know. I'll be shooting straight past you in a moment."

Together they struggled and took careful steps upward. Frederick proved himself quite observant and would spot good places big enough for them to put their feet down properly to stand, providing much-needed comfort and some rest.

However, the last stretch toward the golden tokens contained very rough surfaces that cut into the hands, and very uncomfortable to try to find some proper footing to rest.

Suddenly a large crack formed, destroying Frederick's footing and knocking him off the wall. Frederick's eyes widened, and his face darkened. His green hair swished above as his body fell.

Frederick didn't scream nor react in any way other than the small teardrops.

Suddenly a hand grasped his arm. It was Oscar.

Oscar exerted all his strength; his face was red, and his veins popped. The sudden weight increase nearly tore his arm off, but Oscar held strong; his fingers dug deep into the rocks, dyeing it red with blood from his broken nails. Thankfully, it was enough; Oscar held Frederick's arm tight.

"We need to get the tokens as soon as possible. The cracks are deep; the entire cliff can collapse." Oscar said frantically, but his worry grew when he saw Frederick hanging onto his hand.

Frederick's face was pale, unable to regulate his breathing; he was suffering from a panic attack.

"Fred!" Oscar shouted.

But Frederick was not responding, but Oscar could feel his pulse raging by the arm in his hand. His grip was weakening, but his eyes were bloodshot. He refused to let go.

Oscar clenched his teeth and swayed Frederick, hitting him against the cliffside softly but enough for a shock.

"What the?" Frederick came to his senses and saw where he was. "Os?"

He saw his new friend desperately trying to hold him up. Frederick punched his head, shouting, "Sorry. I was elsewhere for a moment."

"Elsewhere? Did the near fall make you go mad?" Oscar grumbled. "Hurry up and grab onto the rocks. I can't hold on!"

Frederick did as instructed, making Oscar breathe out in relief.

The cracks were spreading, but Oscar and Frederick bravely continued. The prize was right before them, and their time was running out. Oscar didn't know if another opportunity would come like this or if the elders would be willing to give them another chance.

This was their last shot, and there was no backing down.

Oscar bit his lip to the point it started bleeding. His hands were ridden with cuts that were further stung by the salt of the rock. Every drop of sweat felt like a part of his life was shaving away.

"A little more," Oscar's hand trembled as it stretched as far as it could. With the slightest pinch of his fingertips, Oscar grabbed the corner of the golden token, which he carefully brought closer for a better hold; the golden token was firmly grasped in his palm, and he shouted, "We did it!"

Frederick was right beside him and also had his golden token. He wore a bright smile and shouted in triumph. But his face soon fell as he stared blankly around the area; they were only midway up the cliff, and there was a considerable distance up and down.

"Do we have to climb all the way up? Or do we try going down?!" Frederick shouted. His usually handsome face was disheveled, red, and soaked in sweat.

Oscar was panting, barely able to get his words out, "I…think…we're…screwed."

The adrenaline had worn off after reaching their goal, and the sudden flood of fatigue and pain began to overwhelm them.

Oscar's legs were trembling, and his arms were like jelly; trying to move right now was signing a death warrant. The most he and Frederick could do was stay where they were, but the pressure of the encroaching cracks on the cliffside made him nervous.

Suddenly, the tokens in their hands and pockets began to shine. Oscar and Frederick stared at the flashing token in their hands with jaws wide open. The light from the token began to intensify.

"What is this?" Oscar was concerned.

"I don't know, but don't lose your token!" Frederick shouted.

Suddenly, the light engulfed them, and they disappeared from the mountain.

Oscar and Frederick tumbled onto a stone-paved ground. Both could not help but nearly gag but forcibly held it down. It was a similar feeling to when they first arrived in the wilderness.

"What happened? Where is this?" Oscar rubbed his eyes to see clearly. They were surrounded by a circle of marble pillars and a moat with lotuses on its clear waters. "We're in some other place, Fred."

"Yup." Frederick stood up with shaky legs but helped Oscar to his feet. He smiled and teased, "You nearly threw up; how pitiful."

"Says the one who lost his mind when he almost fell." Oscar retorted. "I can still see the tears in your eyes."

"Same to you."

"Hah?" Oscar and Frederick stared each other down.

"Ahem." A third party grabbed their attention. It was the Trial Master, Robert Levitt.

"Trial Master!" Oscar and Frederick bowed before this elder.

Robert eyed the two boys. He observed them inside the trial. He witnessed them coming together and overcoming the odds together. This made him happier that there were students with strong hearts.

"The two of you passed the trial."

Oscar looked around to see no one else had come out.

"Where is everyone?"

"The ones with three tokens could instantly leave the trial and come here. So each person arrived at different times. The two of you came together, which is odd."

Robert sighed, thinking about the students that were still inside the trial. He could already picture how they would react if they failed. Some students would break down and be sent back to live with their families.

But to be an Exalt means dealing with heartwrenching obstacles one after another. If they could not exhibit the heart to overcome, there would be no chance for them.

Of course, some may not be as affected and bounce back from the pits of despair. That was why they were sent to the Minor Hall.

"Make your way to the building over there and receive your uniforms and identification."

Oscar had questions he wanted to ask but felt it was not wise to bother the Trial Master anymore.

After bowing his head, he left for the large palace Robert pointed out. Frederick followed suit.

Once the two were far away, Robert opened his eyes slightly. They were strikingly similar to jewels in how they glowed. One was blue, while the other was red.

A smile crept up to the elder's face. He thought about the moment Oscar grabbed ahold of Frederick and refused to let go.

"Those two are good friends. Unlike most in this Pavilion, I hope they can stay that way." Robert sighed.

Many people from all walks of life came to the Blue Ocean Pavilion. But how many of them became friends? How many distanced themselves or became enemies due to disputes?

Robert had seen many Exalts abandon their families and friends for more power. He witnessed the Exalt Noble Families become colder and colder as the lust for power replaced the need for familial love.

Robert always believed that beyond power, beyond the best intelligence, and beyond talent was the heart. The heart that stood unwavering against whatever may come.

…….

Oscar and Frederick finally made it to the main palace. The palace walls were high, adorned with ivory towers and statues of people. Some of them were clad in armor, and others in dazzling clothes.

"It's the past Exalts of the Blue Ocean Pavilion. They had to be some incredible people to be memorialized here."

"You know this place?"

"Aunt mentioned it before. This is the Palace of the Receding Tide."

…….

Robert Levitt appeared in front of a large building; its front doors had carvings of unfurled scrolls and quills. This was the Record Chamber and one of the most important places in the Blue Ocean Pavilion.

It contained all the records of every student and the historical events of the Blue Ocean Pavilion. Thus, it was heavily guarded and closed off to only a few with the privilege.

Two guards were posted at the entrance. They were Greater Knight Exalts and some of the best warriors of the Pavilion. Their body was covered in azure armor from head to toe, and their trident weapons were beautiful with razor-sharp gold tips.

Noticing the newcomer, they approached to block them. However, they halted on seeing it was Robert.

"Great Elder. You grace us with your presence." They bowed and lowered their tridents.

"It's Trial Master right now. I'll return to my duties as Great Elder after it ends." Robert waved the guards to return to their posts.

The guards tapped the door with their tridents, and it began to open as if some invisible force was moving it. Once Robert entered inside, the door closed back shut.

Inside were large shelves stretching far to the other end of the great hall. Unlike regular bookshelves, these shelves were akin to honeycombs with hexagonal holes containing various rolled-up metallic sheets.

Inside were various personages, the Judges at their desks. They worked hard, writing on metal papers and rolling them up. Robert approached one of them.

"I hope I'm not disturbing you." The Judge he coincidentally approached was Ivanka Klein, who admitted Oscar and Isabella back at the port.

Ivanka looked slightly annoyed someone bothered her during her work. She turned to Robert, and her eyes widened so much that they were bulging.

"Gr-Great Elder Robert. Forgive me for not addressing you immediately. What do you need from this lowly Judge." Ivanka immediately knelt and bowed her head; her beautiful green hair was scattered all over her back onto the floor.

Although she was a Judge and enjoyed a high position, it was nothing compared to the Great Elder in front of her. Great Elder Robert was a Greater Marshall Exalt, on the cusp of being King Exalts. She was only a Lower Knight Exalt. He could kill her on a whim, and no one would care.

"No need to be afraid, child." Robert's eyes were still closed. "I need your assistance in finding a record for a child."

"Of course, I can find anything for you, Great Elder!" Ivanka quickly stood up and fixed her hair. She could not make a bad impression on Great Elder Robert.

"He is one of the trial takers. Here is his face." Robert held up his palm, and smoke gathered around to form an image of Oscar's face.

"HUH?" Ivanka stared at the face. She recognized who it was. It was the boy that had come together with the Grade Eight Isabella. She most likely would not have known who he was if not for that.

"You know this child?"

"I do, Great Elder. I was the one who recorded the boy's details when he entered the Pavilion. He came along with a Grade Eight girl."

"Hmmm. Grade Eight?" Robert's ears perked up hearing this.

"Would you like her record as well?" Ivanka added on.

Robert stroked his beard and replied, "No need. I only want the boy's record. I have no interest in the girl."

Ivanka was surprised; she did not expect the Great Elder to disregard a Grade Eight child so nonchalantly. This increased her interest in the boy, Oscar. How did he attract the attention of a high-level figure like Robert?

"Is there a problem?" Robert's solemn voice awoke Ivanka from her thoughts. Her face paled, thinking she had angered him by not responding in time.

"N-None at all, Great Elder. I'll get the boy's record for you." Normally, if a Judge were just given a face, it would take longer to find the record. But Ivanka knew Oscar's name, so it was simpler for her.

After a short time, Ivanka returned to Robert with a scroll. She respectfully presented it to him with trembling hands, as her yellow eyes were full of anxiety.

The scroll unfurled in Robert's hands. There was a drawing of Oscar, followed by the information Ivanka had written down earlier.

"Grade Four Exolsia? Kuh." Robert's slight chuckle utterly terrified Ivanka, who lost her composure. When has a Great Elder ever behaved like this towards a new student?

"My thanks for your time. You can get back to work."

"Yes!" Ivanka bowed her head towards Robert's back.

89