Act 1: Blue Ocean Pavilion – Chapter 24: Life in the Pavilion
1.7k 3 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After eating and resting, Oscar sat in front of his desk, his hand clutching a pen, writing a letter to Isabella's father, Carlson Thorn. He decided to tell the truth about Isabella turning her back on her home and family. He did not want Uncle Carlson to continue worrying about her and looking for any signs.

As Elder Saul said, it was worse to keep Carlson in the dark and lie when the truth inevitably comes out. If Oscar told a lie, then that would only make Uncle Carlson more worried in the future if Isabella never sent a letter. It was better for him to know so there would be closure.

'Uncle Carlson, the truth is horrible, but I hope you understand. I'm sorry I could not give you any good news.' Oscar finished the letter and sealed it up.

"Fred. I'll be sending this letter out and going to the Neptune Archives." Oscar turned to Frederick, who was resting on his bed. His green hair was scattered messily around his pillow, far from the picture of a noble.

"Ok." Frederick was too tired to accompany Oscar today. He closed his eyes to go back to sleep.

Oscar strolled through the large halls of the Commune to the postroom. The postroom was a large circular room lined up with light crystals that lit up every corner of the room. The dome at the top had a beautiful spiral pattern like a whirlpool.

In the center was a circular counter that replicated the room's shape. There were several workers there, taking students' letters and organizing them. Oscar approached the counter and rang the bell, prompting a worker to attend to him.

"Sending out a letter." Oscar held out his letter.

"No problem." The worker reached out to take the letter but could not pull it out of Oscar's hand. The worker stared at Oscar in confusion and said, "I can't send it out if you're holding it too tight."

"Huh?" Oscar looked down and saw the letter still in his hand in a tug-of-war with the worker. The letter was crumbling from his tight grip. Oscar's hand refused to let go. Finally, after a moment of hesitation, Oscar wrenched his hand open, allowing the worker to take the letter away. He stared in a daze at his trembling hands.

"Are you ok?" The worker was concerned by Oscar's weird behavior and pale face.

Oscar snapped out of it and rubbed his head. "I'm fine. Thank you for your concern."

The worker stared at Oscar in concern, but he was just a worker. Students' issues were their own, and he was not in a position to indulge them.

'Hold it together. Uncle Carlson will be fine. Isabella made her choice.' Oscar quickly exited the Commune with a sick feeling in his stomach.  Oscar firmly clenched his trembling hands. But it did little to stop it as his fists were shaking.

'I said it no longer has anything to do with me. Why can't I calm down.' His thoughts tortured him as he worried about how Uncle Carlson would take the news, how his parents would react, and why Isabella was so insensitive. Oscar desperately tried to hold himself together, but the anxiety was getting to him.

'Forget it; let's just read some books.'  The enjoyment of reading always uplifted his spirits. When he was nervous or sad, books were his solace.

"Oi."  Another student stopped Oscar. The student was stone-faced but with a hint of anger. The most striking part was the eyepatch over his right eye. Oscar recognized him as one of the people who ambushed him with Samuel.

"Austin?" He recalled the name because Frederick spent a long time bragging about how he defeated Austin. His body readied itself for a fight.

"That's right. I wanted to say something to you. First, I have nothing to do with you. I'm not allied with Samuel." Austin's face darkened, making Oscar alert. "Second, tell that bastard, Frederick. I will make him pay."

Without waiting for Oscar's reply, Austin left for the Commune. His demeanor and temperament had completely changed. There was an icy yet fierce resolution that Oscar could feel.

'Frederick needs to be careful.'  The changes in Austin made Oscar extremely wary. Compared to Samuel's bull-like attitude, Austin was like a cunning wolf, biding its time. There was an eerily calm air around him.

"He's lost an eye, but he sees clearer than ever." Elder Saul appeared next to Oscar with a sickle in his hand. He glanced at Austin, then turned to Oscar, his eyes almost piercing through him.

"Elder." Oscar bowed in greeting. He could never grasp this elder's motives or actions. Some moments would be indifferent, while others would be helpful. Sometimes it would be comments like this. "I also felt the change in him. Will he be a dangerous opponent?"

"Anyone with a fierce determination can be dangerous." Elder Saul pulled out a cracker and started munching on it. The way his face and wrinkles moved as he chewed reminded Oscar of the old fogey in the village with no teeth. Elder Saul's attention went back to Oscar. "Never mind him; you seem to have something else to say to me."

Oscar stared at his quaking hands. He did not feel like this when he killed Greg because his consciousness was clear. But this? He was hurting someone he cared for. "I have made my choice, but I still feel horrible."

Elder Saul was silent for a moment. "That is your problem to deal with."

It was not his role to intervene in the emotional conflict this boy was experiencing. The boy had to endure it himself; otherwise, he would never mature. Elder Saul sighed. "What I can tell you is this. Live on with the choice you've made."

The elder turned his back and started trimming the grass. Oscar could tell that was all the elder wanted to say. It was improper to disturb him any further.

Oscar nodded and bowed to Elder Saul and departed. He replayed the Elder's words in his head. If his choice led to dire outcomes, could he live with it?

Soon after, the Neptune Archives' entrance stood before him. Oscar put away his thoughts and entered inside. The smell of old papers and books refreshed his mind as a peaceful sensation washed over him.

He walked past several shelves and deeper into the Archives. Since the first time he set foot in the Archives, Oscar had read through many books; he went from shelf to shelf.

He stood in the section for plants and herbs. After picking out a book, he went to a corner and started reading with a small smile. He was so focused on his reading that he did not notice a silver-haired person take a small glance at him.

'That person is here often….'

Celestina looked at Oscar with a bit of interest for a moment.

…….

The next day, early morning, Oscar sat in his dorm with a serious expression. Today was the day his friend, Frederick, would attempt to upgrade to a Middle Apprentice Exalt.

The day before, he told Frederick about Austin earlier and Elder Saul's small comment.

Frederick felt immense pressure about a potential threat to his life. Thus, he decided to go for it with the Ein Amassing Potion reward from the Night Raptor Mission.

"You sure about this?"  Although it was just a jump in the sub-ranks of the Apprentice Exalt, it wasn't something to rush into. That was why Oscar decided to wait for the next batch of the elixir so that he could have a sure advancement with two elixirs.

"Definitely. I heard advancing causes a mess, so I'll do it in a private training room." Frederick gave a confident thumbs-up to Oscar and left. Grade Five Exolsia provided him the extra benefit that one elixir might do the job.

Left alone in the room, Oscar thought about what to do. He could go back to the Archives or meditate. He tossed and turned in thought until he remembered something he had to do.

'I still have the contribution points I earned. I can go to the Foundry to try to purchase a weapon.' The battle with Greg made him realize the usefulness of having a weapon. It can provide the edge he may need to survive the next battle. Excited, Oscar jumped out of bed and got ready to go out.

Recalling that Emily also said she wanted a weapon; Oscar went to look for her in the Commune since the most likely place to see her was the cafeteria. Having gotten a plate of breakfast, Oscar paced around until he spotted Emily entering inside. He hurried over and greeted her happily. "Emily."

"Oscar. What's up?" Emily's orange hair fluttered as she spun to greet him back. Thanks to the rewards from the previous mission, she was in quite a good mood today.

As they started eating, Oscar noticed several people eyeing him and Emily. It seems Emily was popular amongst their fellow students. It wasn't odd since she was a beautiful girl with a powerful look in her orange eyes.

He also noticed several girls eyeing her with admiration and him with disdain. Compared to Emily's beautiful looks, he was quite unremarkable. It was true that Emily was more tomboyish, so her charm could extend to other girls.

The meal felt awkward for Oscar because of the stares.

"Where's that dunce?" Emily was referring to Frederick. Her language was still as harsh as ever toward him, but Oscar noticed her tone was not as forceful.

"He's closed up in the training room to attempt to become a Middle Apprentice Exalt," Oscar said.

"Is he serious?!" Emily exclaimed.

She guessed the two of them, Oscar and Frederick, were close to that threshold, but immediately going for it right after the mission was not good. People usually took the usual method to advance in their optimal condition.

Oscar explained his encounter with Austin yesterday. Each word made Emily grip her hand, crushing her utensils.

"That bastard wants revenge for something he started. Bah. Frederick can handle him. My prey is that yellow shithead."  Emily's orange eyes gleamed like a predator in the night. Oscar felt chills down his spine and flailed to change the subject.

"That's why I'm free today. I wanted to know how you were doing." Emily tilted her head with her hand on her chin.

"That fight with the Night Raptor and Samuel made me realize I need to improve my control." Emily griped. If she had better utilized her Ein, her staff would have pierced directly through the tiger.

"I remember you said you wanted to get a weapon, correct?"

"That's right. Thanks to you, I have the contribution points to get a staff weapon." It was a staff weapon she had been eyeing for a while, but it was priced at 350 points. The need for points led to her joining up with Oscar and Frederick.

"Perfect timing. I wanted to find a weapon for myself too. Should we go together?" Oscar proposed.

Emily chuckled; her laughter made some men blush, and the girls clenched their teeth at how Oscar made her laugh. Ignoring the stares, Emily teased. "Since that dunce isn't here, you decided to ask me. What's wrong? Too afraid to go alone?"

"Correct. Going along with a popular girl like you will make everyone else feel inferior." Oscar teased back. Internally, he was hoping no one would cause trouble with him just because he was friends with Emily.

"Ok. Let's go to the Foundry." Emily smiled.

The two of them were full of anticipation. It was finally time to get their first weapons.

54