Act 1: Blue Ocean Pavilion – Chapter 236: The Encroaching Tide
726 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The dull sounds of bells rang across the waterways of Portland Island, a sound that no one had heard in a long time, but all knew its meaning, danger, danger encroaching on the island. All the fishermen, dock workers, civilians, and the rest had pale faces that went whiter as the chill of despair filled their veins. For a while now, most of their voyages out into the Erith Ocean had resulted in disaster, but now that disaster had arrived at their doorsteps, their home was no longer safe.

A panic ensued; the crowd turned into a mob and then a frenzied horde. Parents carried their children, running as fast as their mortal legs could, sailors fought for the boats to escape, and some gave up hope and hugged their legs with blank expressions. All over Portland Island, chaos spread as the woes and cries of the people blanketed the land.

"ENOUGH!" A loud, booming voice spoke with authority. A man floated up in the air, overlooking Portland Island, allowing all below to see him. He had the countenance of a sailor with a rough beard and frazzled hair under his captain's hat. His long blue jacket with patches and holes fluttered lazily in the breeze.

"City Lord!" Everyone paused. Their eyes held a glint of hope, clinging to the figure of their leader.

Rufus Sharp, the City Lord of Portland Island, gazed over the horizon; his eyes caught glimpses of vast hordes of Apprentice, Elite, and even Knight Exalt Beasts. The Knight Exalt Beasts were far behind the rest of the hordes, but they were gaining speed, and the hordes grew bigger by the second. He glanced below with a sign escaping his cracked lips. "For the past few months, we've suffered greatly at the constant harassment of the beasts. Now it has come to us."

The crowd fell silent. Rufus's words were not the comfort they sought but rather a slow knife to the heart. Some began to cry, and others clenched their teeth.

"I understand my decisions have not been for the best, so do not believe in my words but someone else's." Rufus gestured over to the open air. The crowd became confused at the blank space.

Suddenly, a small airship flew closer by Rufus, and a beautiful girl stepped onto the deck at the ship's bow. Rufus knelt in the air with his head hung down, and the crowd gaped at her beauty and the kingly presence that caused feelings of respect and awe to well up in their hearts. Silver hair swayed about in the breeze, emerald eyes that glimmered like stars, and a bright open smile upon her face; it was Celestina.

"I am the First Princess, Celestina Lovre Dragnar. Hear me, people of Portland." Celestina's clear voice reached everyone, resounding in their heads.

The people of Portland slowly knelt. Seeing a member of royalty was an experience none ever thought they'd have in their lives here in Portland. But, gladly, they accepted her presence as hope returned to their eyes, and they let out a loud cry. "We greet the princess."

Celestina's eyes softened at the people below her; her hands clenched hard, and she vowed to make sure nothing happened to them. In her mind, she scolded the slow bureaucracy that impeded the military and officials from making a fast decision, leading to these people suffering for much longer. She opened her mouth to speak to her beloved people. "Be calm, and please do not cause trouble for each other. I and the others will join the defenders of Portland to protect you all. So do not worry and await our victory."

"Yes!" The crowd responded with cheers. The princess turned into a goddess in their minds, and they became orderly, helping each to hunker down safely in their homes.

Celestina placed her hand over her chest, breathing out in relief. She turned to Rufus and said, "You must have worked hard, Lord Sharp."

"I am ashamed to say that I failed in my duties and couldn't take proper action, letting the situation worsen." Rufus kept his head down and spoke with his gritty voice. "I will accept any punishment."

"Don't worry. You did what you did to safeguard as many lives as possible, and you couldn't leave the city because you had to protect it just in case." Celestina comforted the weary Rufus. "Now that it has come to this. Fulfill your duty and protect Portland Island."

"As you wish." Rufus rose to his feet; his eyes burned with a fearsome resolve.

"We're joining in too." Charles stepped onto the deck, squinting to see the massive hordes of Exalt Beasts approaching. He smiled while spinning his dual blade.

"The prince is quite eager."

"Are you not as well? Who would have thought we'd run into a beast tide the moment we arrived."

Phillip and Eleanor came onto the deck.

"I wonder where Oscar and the others are." Serena came after them with a worried gaze.

"If anything, they should be out there with Ms. Raeven. Emily's note said they came out for that reason." Celestina frowned, thinking about the current predicament. Although the others should be fine under the protection of Elizabeth Raeven, it only applied if they stayed together. "Our job is to hold on until the army arrives. I have sent out a message for reinforcements. Now that I'm here personally, they should be scrambling to come."

"My princess," Rufus spoke up. "There are many Knight Exalt Beasts on their way here as well. We are shorthanded to deal with them."

"Don't worry about that," Celestina said and then raised her voice. "Isn't that right!"

A new figure appeared in the air, wearing golden armor with dragon jaws and heads shaped on its joints. A bright red cape draped over the figure's shoulder remained in the air. The figure bowed and said in a womanly voice, "I have to protect you, princess. That is my duty."

"That is now changed. As a Greater Knight Exalt, you shall go forth with Rufus and the others. Fight with your lives on the line to stop the Knight Exalt Beasts from approaching. I will take command of forces here and stand against the other hordes." Celestina commanded in a stern voice.

Seeing no chance of convincing her, the royal guard thought of kidnapping the princess to leave this place, but she did not want to refuse Celestina's orders. In the end, she bowed her head. "I will do as you say."

"Alright. Sister, how shall we go about this?" Charles saw the Exalt Beasts coming in closer to Portland Island.

"Stay as one. The island forces shall hold the line while we continually move from one front to the next, disturbing the tides as much as possible. The key here is to hold on to buy time. So don't overdo it." Celestina stared across the horizon that was now filled with ravenous beasts. 'Where is he?'

…….

'Mini Silver Star Fourfold'

Oscar focused on the four small silver balls near his fingertips. Under the hail of water daggers and ignoring the ones stabbing into his arm, Oscar pointed his hand out at Natasha, who moved about in erratic motions to throw him off. From his index finger down to his pinky finger, the Reis and Ein shot out each silver ball one by one.

Natasha expressed shock once again at the makeshift scattering attack from Oscar. With her face contorted in frustration, she turned and twisted her body to dodge the four incredibly fast projectiles, but blood splurted out. Groaning in pain, Natasha bled from her hand with a small hole in it and the side of her neck.

'This bastard! Thankfully, none of them were fatal.' Natasha looked in shock at Oscar, who charged at her.

Oscar waited for this moment for Natasha to break sight of him and allow him to rush ahead without her Prinstyct helping her. He could have gone away and made his way toward the strange goal but would allow Natasha to roam free to attack his friends. Whatever was in the rocky hill was important, but if Natasha knew there was no chance to save it, she'd cause the most damage as revenge; that's what Oscar would do as well.

With Natasha in sight, Oscar put more strength into his feet, but suddenly a dense white fog filled his vision. This fog was everywhere; everything, the bubbles, daggers, and Natasha, became shrouded in its white haze.

'Don't think this will stop me!' Oscar's eyes held a purple ring in them, the Eliren Breaker, and the fog dissipated under his sight, an illusion. How fortunate as this was Oscar's guess because the fog had a chance of being real. Several daggers moved around the bubbles and shot toward him.

Natasha looked strangely at Oscar's good defense. 'He's supposed to be under my fog illusion, but he's moving like it's not there. How in the world?'

With nothing else, Natasha canceled her fog illusion to save Ein and threw more water daggers while shooting her crossbow. The illusion already served to deter Oscar for a moment, allowing her to gain some distance. She observed Oscar with more seriousness. 'There's something wrong. Despite all this, I haven't injured him for real. Those slight wounds are nothing. Usually, my enemy would end up like a porcupine.'

On the other hand, Oscar continued to block her attacks, allowing a few through to hit his arms and legs, empowered by Edureisclad. He continued to shoot out his 'Silver Star' in variations, but Natasha remained elusive. The time limit for his Adamasreis was approaching.

Before his 'Silver Sheen' could form, Oscar felt a piercing pain in his right arm; a water dagger pierced straight through to the other side, spewing out blood. Before any more could come, Oscar's silver armor protected him.

This moment did not escape Natasha's watchful gaze. Her eyes enlarged as her pupils shrank, staring at Oscar's arm. She formed a smile. 'How intriguing. So there is an opening.'

Oscar felt the dagger turn into water and spill out from his silver armor. The waters became red, mixed with his blood. 'Damn.'

22