Connections
256 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Chapter 7

 

                The sun is almost at its zenith, bathing the world with sweltering heat. Blaring sirens of the police cars and noisy murmurs of the crowd filled up the whole street. “Witnesses” animatedly talking to the officers about what, why and how it happened. Funny how they have their own versions of it though.

“I saw the red car driving towards the opposite lane….”

“No! It was the van driver who drove off its lane…”

“Surely he’s drunk?...”

Proper lane, yes and who’s drunk?

“The biker just came out of nowhere, overtook the red car then boom!”

And clearly some of them are just talking shit. Ridiculous.

“Well, everything seems to be okay. Not even a hint of bruising, you’re lucky.” I’m just amazing. I would be surprised if it did. Glancing at her tag before looking away, smiling and voice gentle,

“Thank you, Alice.”

“You’re welcome. Just sit here for now.” She then busied herself with other people.

“Already 11:30 a.m. huh.” I murmured, while checking on my phone. It has been almost an hour since the accident. The police wanted a proper account of what happened, so I’m stuck here, sitting in an ambulance. ‘Status Window’. I’ll probably miss the wedding if this goes on longer. “Oh Zi! Are you okay? Should I go there?” Love said when I called on what happened. Bless her. Just don’t tell my mom I told her. Tita Tilda can be overly dramatic at times she agreed.

I focused back on the screen in front of me. A level up and a new skill. Adding all points to Social, I looked up the new skill.

Minor First Aid

‘Make the injuries you treat heal at a faster rate with no infecti...’ Sensing its triviality, the skill window faded away. The skill is helpful, yes, but I won’t be going Jesus on this world. It’s not my style. It’s a hot potato I won’t be eating. “Would be helpful in a pinch, though.” I muttered, recalling the biker guy, eyes glinting in excitement.

Andrea Arcoz.

Yes. The ‘suwail' great-grandson of the deposed and exiled dictator, President Hernán Arcoz. Somehow, the deliciously handsome prince was offered to me in a white, bloody platter. I thought then as I saw his face. He’s practically royalty in this haven of corruption.

A lucky, unlucky for him, encounter that would only be very beneficial for me. His shining background more so. He’ll be very useful indeed.

 

I Am Your Light.” I basically purred the incantation. Eyes turning misty grey.

Ethereal golden chains slithered out from my shadow and wrapped around his neck, binding him. Like a pet. I smirked. Then it disappeared.

*Ting!* I Am Your Light activated. Provide verbal commands.  

As if to check his wounds, I leaned over, voice low then gave my orders. Regardless if he’s conscious or not, my orders will still be followed. Better that he is in any case. That done I just continued talking nonsense.

*nee-naw, nee-naw*

“Hey handsome, help is here.”

 

It was my first time using that skill. I understood then how absolute power can be overwhelming. Without A Calm Mind I would’ve been toast.

“It’s her fault! I drove off lane because she kept feeling me up!” Excusez moi? Glancing at Eric who was hysterically telling an officer about what happened. Clearly his brain didn’t come out unscathed. The type to run away first without helping.

Well, I don’t really know him. ‘Hmmm… there is that.´ I walked to his car, ears still wide open. I can always be a spy if this politics thing fails.

“I quickly maneuvered to the other side so we won’t crash!”

“So you got distracted because she kept on touching you. Were you open to it?” How is that relevant, Mr. Officer?

“Of course not! I have a wife! But she just kept—“

“Well, I couldn't help myself, Eric. You were just too hot.” I interrupted like a badass, voice oozing with mockery. I always fancied myself like Anne Hathaway’s Catwoman.

Heads turned towards me, surprised that I admitted it so boldly, more so for the ‘lil bitch. He stopped halfway in what he was about to say when he noticed what I was holding. The dash cam. Panicked eyes looked back at me. I raised a brow and mouthed ‘You’re stupid.’

“Let’s watch it all then shall we, Mr. Officer?” I continued, nodding to the police. Smirking, I pressed play.

 

A woman dressed in a dark pastel pink floral printed gown got in the car. “Zetian, miss?” The driver asked. Nodding to the question before answering, “Yup! Thank you for picking me up” the woman smiled.

Fast Forward.

While the beautiful woman was looking out the window, the driver who had been constantly glancing at her said something that made her smile again. The driver began to show off his arm. “You can feel it, if you want.”

 

“Let’s skip to the part when the accident happened and then please switch to road view.” Mr. Police officer said, looking at Eric. Disgust written all over his face.

“No problem.”

The officer gave an appreciative hum at how fast I reacted and managing to pull something off straight from an action movie. Seeing the van veering off its lane and the car still on the correct one, the officer looked up satisfied with what he saw.

“As I see it, Miss Do practically saved your life. Lying to the police is a crime,”

“As is slander.” I added.

“And slander. There was no problem here until you made it so, Mr. Morales.”

Now dazed and at loss of what to do, he started apologizing.

“I-I’m sorry! Please, I was just confused! I got scared!!” He shouted.

Insect! Looking straight into his eyes, an unseen pressure forced him to kneel. His eyes wide with panic. I hope he doesn’t wet him—oh never mind. That’s just gross.

“Please don’t hurt me!! I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” He’s begging now. What a slobbering mess.

Checking my immaculate nails, I innocently shrugged when I noticed the police looking at me curiously. “I guess he’s afraid of going to prison.”

“No! No! Please!”

“Perhaps a week in a detention cell?” I suggested. With passive Manipulation I’ve gotten as freebie due to my maxed out Psychology, my words could sway anyone to where I want it to be. Suggestions would seriously be considered. So, just a little more… Looking earnestly into the police officer’s eyes,

“I’m sure his malicious words would have been very damaging if I didn’t provide proof otherwise, officer.”  

A confident woman is a successful woman.

The police looking at Eric with disgust, nodded. “A man like him deserves it. Are you going to press charges?”

Laughing derisively, I shook my head. “My time is precious.”

“That’s his luck, then.”

“I’m sure it is” I drawled out. “Am I free to go now? I still have a wedding to attend.” Asking as I opened the Grab app, in full view of the police.

“Yes, thank you for your cooperation.” He said. Pondering on something.

“You’re welcome. Make sure to show his wife the evidence.” And with that, I turned back and walked away slowly.

“Can do. Miss Do?” He called out.

Suppressing a smug smile, I turned my head back curiously.

“Is there anything else, officer?”

“I’m sure you’re still a bit shook up on what happened, I can escort you to the venue while my partner and the others will take him to the station.” What a gentleman. A shining example of a police officer.

“Is it okay? I don’t want to be a bother.”

“Of course. It’s my… our duty to make sure of your safety as well.”

“Well, I wouldn’t want to hinder you from your duty.” 

Seeing him opening the passenger seat, I got in without any fuss. I saved a lot of money today. Haha!

In record time we arrived at the hotel. Cars makes way for the police. Especially when the siren is out. I see people looking on curiously. I’m glad these windows are tinted. Of course, not that I would be embarrassed but I still dislike it when people stare.

“Thank you very much, Officer.”

“It’s my pleasure, Miss. Do.”

“Just Zi, please. Officer Mata?” I offered.

“Then please call me Fred, Zi.” A Colgate smile. He must be pleased with himself.

“Alright, Fred.” I winked. Never hurt to flirt. Of course, accidents happen. But it wasn’t my fault.

Cough. Yes. By the way,” Taking out his wallet he fished out a card. Huh. Police have business cards now? Professional. “Here’s my number. Call me if you ever want to check on that guy or if you need anything.”

I grazed my fingers on his palm, pausing for a bit as I took his card, “I will.” I winked at him again

Then I turned and alighted from the car.

Ignoring the stares, I walked in the hotel. A Mona Lisa Smile upon my lips.

Connections, connections.

 

 

 

 

 

Money is Might

 

Suwail - means Rebellious in Filipino 

2