Chapter 12: Escape from the claws of betrayal
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sometime later.

A huge explosion was heard as tremors passed throughout the buildings. It was very close, as everyone was shocked by the sudden chaos.

Clayton quickly realized that something was wrong. Such an explosion couldn’t be a mistake or some kind of catastrophe. Something huge blew up for these tremors to travel so hard. Cold sweat was spreading through his back.

“What happened?” He asked some officers which were in charge of making sure the teaching went without a problem.

“We are currently unable to tell. A Buddy of mine will check it. Stay here for now!” He answered.

“Shitty principles… Should I ditch them or not? If something happens and my son will be in trouble, I would never forgive myself. It is way too early for a Northern attack. WAY too early.” Clayton went through the information inside his head. He wasn’t sure if Thomas would help him fast enough or not at all. Promises weren’t absolutes. Devilish slave contracts would probably help with the lack of trust, but Clayton would never allow himself to use them on the people he knew and trusted. “All I could do is trust Thomas and hope for the best.”

In no mood to continue with his contract. He found some excuse to leave the room. Clayton went to check other contractors if there were some problems. Everything seemed normal, apart from the indistinguishable nervousness of some people.

He went to a rooftop to take a further look at the surrounding. He could see cloudy fog slowly coming towards the buildings around this complex. A gust of wind pushed it forward across the region surrounding the main city gate. Looking further was not possible. “All I can say, it is in a direction of the main gate.” Clayton deducted.

He looked down. In a courtyard surrounding the building complex. Rows of soldiers stormed their way in. Wearing regular armor with no crests or any way to recognize them. “Huh? There shouldn’t be that many soldiers in the current state of the city… Could it be? NO fucking way.” Clayton wondered, not sure if his hypothesis was right or wrong.

Doors to a rooftop suddenly opened. Officers from before entered with Boris Timber by their side. They fell slightly embarrassed for some reason.

“I urge you to go down with me Clayton. It seems we have a little of a problem. Our city gates were breached!” Boris said to Clayton with an ashen expression. He must be a pretty excellent actor.

“I wonder about something, mister Boris.” Asked out loud, Clayton.

“Ask away. Make it fast!”

“I wonder what they promised you? Or are you with them from the very beginning?” Clayton looked at the Boris and walked further back to the edge of the building with a few more steps. Crossing his arms, and frowned in seriousness.

“I don't know what are you trying to say?” Said Boris in defense. Not sure what his next play should be like.

“I wonder what would say those soldiers who are down there?” Clayton pointed downwards.

“Fuck… I knew it. Capture him!” Shouted Boris.

Clayton frowned. His worst fears were confirmed with this simple exchange of words with the man he thought could be trusted. It was another experience with betrayals that seemed to never leave his life. What couldn't get any worse suddenly increased tenfold. He jumped down, while pulling out a black sword from his pocket and pierced it into a wall as he fell down. It reduced the speed of fall as it left a sharp line in the wall. He quickly fell down and, just as he was about to hit the ground, jumped from the wall into the nearest building and started climbing up in an opposite manner.

His main priority right now was to get out of this city. He was aware of what was happening more than anyone in this city. One person cannot save everyone.

“I care about my son the most. Fucking bastards. Who asked them to invade at this time?” Clayton couldn’t help but curse wildly. He tried to reach the outer perimeter of the building complex. It seemed like the Dawn was mainly concerned about a little military power that remained in this city. He was unsure what this was all about, and especially considering the value of this city, it made very little sense to him. Especially the involvement of Boris, who lived here for long years already.

On a rooftop, Boris was cursing inwardly. He did not expect to fail with his task. “Freaking bastard. And they even told me to especially corner him so he would not cause trouble.”

“Let's go down!” He ordered his men to follow him back from the building. Boris had no choice but to force himself to accept these circumstances.

The main reason for these contracts, which Boris Timber spent a fortune on, was to have every important individual with little contact and personal power to be in one place. They wouldn’t be able to help or collect information for the majority of days. It greatly reduced the risk of exposing the upcoming terror. There were also some special tasks prepared. Boris wasn’t aware of the full process of them and the information he got was limited to some degree as well. It seemed the thing which was happening was lioke a big shark which had his sight on the school of fish. Obliterating it to the enjoyment and food.

Above the courtyard, Clayton finally reached the final building in this row. It was already very close to the edges of the wall which separated this from the residential buildings down below. Using his blade as a platform and support to get away with minor problems, the fog has already reached its destination and went through the streets in a strange manner. Concealing movements in between.

Howling sounds could be heard. They reached every corner of the city. The war cry of the invasive Northern tribes was a terrific sound to hear in any situation like this.

“Here they come. The city is lost…” Clayton sternly spoke to himself. Climbing up and reaching across the wall to a street. He finally escaped the building complex, although before him was a street he knew, but was littered with thick fogs in many parts. Fortunately, he already memories the majority of the roads and sights across the streets was an easy solution to knowing where to go. He glanced at his blade and he wasn’t sure how to reach the opposite side of the city. He quickly ran forward. Remembering every possible corner of his shop from this position, he will go as fast as he could.

In a corner, raiders on horses slowly appeared out of the cloudy fog. Their bloodthirsty mood was visible from afar. “Shit. They are using fucking horses? I don’t remember that those donkeys learned to ride a horse.” Clayton cursed.


Entrance of a building complex. Boris Timber was standing to a side. Waiting for somebody. Cloaked figures riding horses quickly approached him from the closest street to the city gate's direction.

“Boris Timber, I assume?” said one of the shrouded figures. Voice sounded quite young. He was a man for sure with a lofty and arrogant voice.

“Good day, sir. Precisely sir.” Boris said and bowed towards him and the group.

“Your task?”

“He jumped from the building. Troops did not find him on time as he jumped from building to building and quickly left this complex..”

“Useless.” The man said. He turned around and pointed at the other figures. “You and you. Find him.”

“Yes, sir.” Both of them shouted.

“Can we contact them?” Asked one of them with a meaning the man probably knew.

“Do as you wish. As long as you will bring him back.”

The figures nodded and left.

“What about the rest of the situation, sir?” Boris asked.

“Do not worry too much. You still contributed greatly. My kingdom will reward you very well. Unlike this city which will be doomed soon. Afterward, roads forwards will be opened very easily to many more opportunities for you and people similar to you as well.” Answered the shrouded man in an excellent mood.

“That is excellent!” Boris trembled in excitement. His years of prep work paid off. “What is there to worry about? The Kingdom of Grusha is too small for me, anyway.” He thought to himself in a good mood.

His occupation as a trader could be well applied to every kingdom and nation in the world, after all.

Far away, Clayton was sprinting away, not knowing the situation behind him made him quite nervous. Screams and torment were heard everywhere. Northerners weren’t known for their kindness, especially in the force of the war. For an invasion to occur in these seemingly peaceful times. It was a recipe for the absolute bloodbath which could lead to the deaths of cities in a matter of hours.

Soldiers of the Dawn slowly joined them as well from the view of Clayton. North and Nation of the Dawn attacked at the same time with terror which could penetrate deep into this region through the channels from the distant mountain roads. All of this could lead to a much more complex political and strategical situation that even Clayon could not understand at all. One had to know that the invasions of the nations or kingdoms were no easy task and involved management and countless problems could occur in a single moment of carelessness.

He run nonstop, but he was soon reached by a bunch of horsemen with furred clothes behind his back. They waved their blades at him and spears almost penetrated his legs. Clayton was unmoved by their action as he simply glared at them as if they were pieces of rocks on his way.

He suddenly stopped and jumped up while swinging his blade in a manner across the horizon. Right at the riders which were rather far from the grounded level of Clayton. Surprised by this sudden and quick change of their prey, riders changed their stances from attack to defense but were simply too late for any of that. Their blades bent with a touch of Clayton's blade and in one move shattered the handles and blades and the swing continued with the severed arms, torso, and neck of those riders. They did not stand a chance and, in truth, few could. This was a legacy blade that he personally forged by himself, or in emergencies, could be sold for a high price.

Clayton quickly restarted his run as he tossed one of the bodies from the horse and rode with a horse forward.

Swooosh! Stronger wind than usual filled the streets. 2 shrouded figures emerged before Clayton who was suddenly stopped as his horse collapsed to the ground. Clayton surprised by this sudden stop stumbled to the ground.

In no time, he glanced around him to see what happened. The horse he just rode had its head completely missing without even him knowing. He quickly noticed the figures which appeared before him from the fog. Familiar attire of theirs quickly made things quite obvious what this was about.

“Y-y-you!?” Clayton angrily said to them. “Is it your answer?! So much for your reputation. You are shameless.” He recognized one of them from his secret deal. Although it was just a guess based on their irregular cloaks and attire in general. This gust of wind, he could recognize it for the second time. These people were from a secret organization that could deliver deals to places which normally wouldn’t be accessible by normal means. Mortal means.

“ As I said. Do not get me wrong. Your information is mostly open knowledge. As for your deal. I leaked nothing from our transaction, so there is simply no need to be frustrated from any of this.” Said one of the figures with the voice Clayton heard not so long ago.

“Where? Where did you get my information? Open knowledge, my ass! There wasn’t a problem in 10 years.” Clayton furiously asked.

“But we are standing before you as we speak…” said the other figure in a mocking tone.

“It is a business. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“You will regret it.” Clayton was furious. Clenching his hand with his sword.

From beneath their cloth, in their hands, swords surfaced. They were ready for combat. Clayton knew they had some members who specialized in assassinations and were very competent combatants.

They leaped forward, attacking on two separate sides. Clayton put forth his sword. Just as he was being hit, he stepped back by a step and struck them with his sword. Both of them missed him because of Clayton’s step missed one and struck another. The Sword of the left man was shattered, but figure quickly discarded its sword and dodged to a side.

Having his advantage. Clayton did not hesitate. His foes were powerful and experienced. A glow appeared in his hand om just a moment, quickly flowing into his blade, he swung his blade in direction of the first figure which was the closest and most open.

A gust of wind following his blow, a glow beamed forth like an extended sword. It struck his foe, who screamed in surprise. Figure flung away, crashing into a building. He was hurt more from the impact than the sword move itself.

Their assault ended In just a momentary exchange of blows. They did not expect such a fierce counterattack. Clayton masterfully used his sword. If he did not, he would be vastly at disadvantage.

“They sure are stupid, even if they knew who they are against.” Clayton thought, looking a little bit tired. “Using these attacks continuously is impossible for me.”

In fact, charging up a weapon with energy and then retracting it back did not use much energy which went out into the open. Manifesting it in a fierce fashion and sending it away were vastly different things.

The cloaked figure approached his fallen comrade. “Mission successful. This should be enough stalling? Am I right?” He looked at the other side of the street.

2 horses were walking through the fog. Seated on top of them were 2 figures in cloaks. They wore masks with their hoods off on their back.

“Want to do it alone? Saar” Asked the left figure.

“No shot! Both. Both! Let's do it Both!” Answered Saar, giggling with anticipation behind his mask.

“Shit… I was careless.” Complained Clayton as he readied himself to run as fast as he could. Unfortunately, it was already too late for any of this.

Saar extracted a big sword-looking thing on his back which was wrapped in fabric strips. It swirled around like a snake and formed a long whip that was hidden underneath.

1