Chapter 18: Civilized conversation
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What am I here for? This will be rather normal to you.” The man said, tossing the spy diary at Allan.

“I wished to see you and I got the permission. After wasting my time with your father and those bunch of ‘’important’’ people, there were some more opportunities for me.”

Allan looked at him in confusion. He thought this person had some ambitions in his way of speaking. He slowly sat straight and looked at him carefully. His throbbing body slowly gets over the impact of his injuries, but there was no way for him to run or save himself in other ways.

He could see clearer than before. The man was talking to him fairly close and his face could be seen. His voice did not match his appearance. With an ordinary face, one of his eyes was hidden behind the strands of black hair. His whole face seemed hard to read his expressions, and he looked younger than he thought. The 30s was the age, he would guess. The cloak what he had around his face was easily seen from a close distance with the hood around his head.

Seeing Allan not responding to his words, he continued with his talking.

“I read through your diary with a simple goal in mind. To find interesting things about your father or something that would give me some information. Those expectations were blown away by what I have read. For you to spy on your father for so long. I read through everything and it is astonishing to me. Your word and descriptions helped me to develop more complex information and gain an enormous advantage.”

“You may have been raised in mortal worlds. Far away from anything. This entire universe is filled with so many things. I am like that, too. Born here. Grabbing every opportunity I had for the past 80 years. The fruits of my labor grew explosively until I lit my spark.”

“Why are you telling me your useless life sob story? I am not interested.” Allan bluntly said.

“Don't say that… I am trying to give you an opportunity to get a better understanding.” Said a man in return.

“So you want to know something that you don’t know now? I can’t see what I can offer. And even if I could? Why should I bother with your request? I won’t be able to escape and I doubt you or people behind you would be willing to risk their positions for mine.”

“Your latest diary pages. They described the flowing ball of fire. Flowing towards your father and some other things. You left it so vague I want to know more.”

“DO I get anything in return?”

“I can’t offer you anything of what you currently need.” Said man honestly. He knew he himself could provoke no one related to this mess. To get closer to what he wanted, he made a business transaction with Meng. He had a brand new goal, which came true with what Allan left in his diary.

“Give me back my bandanna. Can you do it?” Allan asked as he couldn’t move much.

“You? Huh? Alright. I can.” He got up and walked to the near the cloth which slipped away at some moment. He did not notice the hammer metallic symbol and tossed it to Allan.

“Will you cooperate?”

“If you won’t stop blabbering about every detail. I can reconsider… Your offer. I can confirm my spy diary content is real. But, there is nothing much at all after that. I know nothing that went on in these scenes. No regards for materials or technique were available or taught me by my father. He kept everything for himself.”

“And don’t you feel sad and angry after everything that your father did not share with you?”

“No. I would never consider it. I am just too young. Moreover. I guess, father already knew about my spying.” Allan muttered. He wasn’t entirely sure about his idea. There were some strange instances where it could be said that he exposed himself, but Clayton never once made a deal about it.

“That is also a possibility, but I do not need to worry about that.”

“Why?” Allan asked.

“Because your father is held hostage by the Nation of Dawn.”

Allan gasped at this revelation. This simple confirmation solved some of his questions. He couldn’t help but believe this. It could explain some things he had in his mind. Even if the Dawn was still dormant. They were a nation that shook the world in the past.

“I see.” Allan muttered with acceptance, yet hidden anger in his tone.

“I want to know the location of those sights described in your diary.” The man said suddenly. His request was what his true goal has been since getting this diary.

He wanted it for himself. That wealth. That upgraded the path forward. He could pay for the materials to equip himself to stand tall and closer to the heaven. Reaching the ceiling, which he previously did not think was possible.

“What?” Allan blurred in question. He did not know why he asked it. But he forgot something he never thought about. Since he never even consider it something important for himself. His diary did not comprise the sights he has seen outside of the acts of his father. He described it in a way his father looked like, his way of forging, hammering, and material descriptions with quick sketches.

From the very beginning, he did not disclose his location or the things he did himself. Earlier year of this was just a way to not forget things and be consistent for his future progress. He did not understand anything as he first watched what was going on behind the window.

Allan did not realize that his diary was, in fact, very poorly written. it was a basic way to describe his earlier pages and Allan never considered improving the way he wrote about it. It was like a list of groceries. Nothing there but simple and direct descriptions. To a point, since it was mainly a diary.

As time went on. Allan improved and started to write in more cohesive ways to give his ideas across his mind, to the pages. Father’s books and documents would probably be of some value to this man. But he was unsure.

“Where IS IT? There are no descriptions. Just a whole same describing and forging knowledge. ”

“I-I don't know.” Allan said. He realized what this person wanted. His greed was unnoticeable but filled with ambition. “He wants the content of my father’s forgery!”

“Liar… You never described it as you would never have a need for it yourself. There are some things that you left out because this is YOUR diary. And now, I want to know it directly from you.”

Allan was surprised by how bluntly the man asked.

“I w-won’t tell you.” Said Allan resolutely.

Man frowned. “Are you aware of what that ball of fire was? That description and its disappearance? The way you wrote about could mean it is probably stored somewhere.”

Allan gritted his teeth. He was not sure if he can’t get this man off from his ideas. “I guess it is some form of spirit element? From how it looked. It should help with forging.” Allan made up some sense from his own experiences.

“You are halfway right. Their true purpose is its value and massive rarity. I don't know how the fuck your father found one, but it is impossible to find on lower-class planets outside of the systems.” The man said in understanding.

“W-what are you talking about?” Allan asked in confusion. He was truthfully unaware of the way the higher people of power looked at the bigger picture. It also seemed this man knew much more about the stuff of legends than him.

The man grunted in displeasure. “It is simply rare to beyond mortals comprehensions! And your father had it.” He was displeased by Allan for not knowing enough.

“The other valuable things I could not care less about them. Let me just take away that ball and I can give you all the rest.” Said the man with a hint of urgent voice. He was trying to pursue Allan to tell him where it is.

“I-I am unable to say anything to your offer…”

“Just tell me. I will try to help you someday… Or is it...” The man said in grief. He did not really want to get personal with this kid.

“You? You don't know it as well? You are unaware of where any of this is?” He asked in shock.

Allan's expression betrayed him as he glared at the man.

“How?”

“I took a glance one day through the crack in the house. It went from there.” Allan completed his excuse.

The man contemplated for a good minute before coming to an understanding.

“So you took it personally. It is still in your home, I assume? Clayton would probably leave it somewhere close.” Man did not trust fully what Allan said. It sounded weirdly out of place to be a crack. There should be some secret door or something.

“I will burn it all down if I end up discovering nothing. Blame your own fate, kid.”

He slowly stood up. Glancing at the Allan for the last time. He could see the fire of anger and frustration in his bloodied eyes.

“Don't take it wrong. This is a world where everyone looks out for just themselves. Do not worry too much. I will look for you in a Dawn if I have to. They won’t hurt you too bad I suppose.”

“You bastard…” Allan gritted his teeth in frustration and desperation. He stalled and hoped for some chance to try to understand this person before him. It seemed he was more crafty than he make it out to be.

“Farewell, Allan. I hope we will meet again with you being still alive.”

“Y-YOU! What is your name? Who are you?”

“Just an adventurer with occasional assassinations.”

“Edd Zanilis.”

As he was walking away. Allan was stunned to see any resemblance of confidence in himself. He originally thought that the man’s reasons for looking at him were positive. Perhaps something that his father arranged. He also wondered about the underground market and his letter delivery. It all seemed rather useless to think about. It did not matter at all as he lay there with a broken body. He completely underrated his helplessness.

His resolve was still deep in his heart. Yet, he couldn’t clinch it and push forward. Weakness overlapped him.

Edd was slowly walking away. From behind the hill emerged a servant of Lord Gao. Frown on his face and displeased look in his eyes. “You finished?”

“Precisely. I thank you for your cooperation. You can toss this to your master when you return with your prey.” Edd, throw him a piece of green jade.

“Hmph!” Servant snorted and caught the jade as he watched the man walk away before he disappeared in a gust of wind in one steep flop of his being.

“I swear I hate this job…” The Man thought.

He emerged from the hill towards his prey. Allan was still sitting where he was from before. Looking at his bandanna on his lap. He secretly laughed, but could not really. His play was right, but an unexpected one. He never thought that Edd was unable to determine this piece of cloth. He described it on his latest pages. “Was he unaware or clueless about my writing? I clearly remember the thing I wrote there. That should not be a case, as he knew what he came here for.”

This was an unexpected development. Allan was deep in worry as the man showed him his spy diary. It was still laying there on the ground. Not too far away from him and the bag.

“I wonder if he checked other books or everything I own.”

“For him to be so careful and everything. Was he not afraid to alert the Dawn who took my father? He would probably never expose it in his life. But… Why was not Dawn interested or aware of his shop, deals, and work? Yet, they kidnapped him like that. They are just a pack of greedy, hungry dogs. Trying to look for some chief to make them a good meal, I suppose.”

0