Amber Watson
3.2k 4 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This week has been a rollercoaster. I was happily going to a business meeting for my company. Then I was suddenly kidnapped and put in a cell aboard a ship with lots of other people. After six days, I was finally rescued by a nice person who calls himself Shadow. I was overjoyed. Think back to it now, I probably came off as overly enthusiastic.
It took about an hour for the police to get us back to shore after Shadow rescued us. As soon as the police were done questioning me, I call the company to explain what happened. But before I could even explain anything, they told me I had already been replaced.

At first, I was furious that they replaced me for missing a few days of work because of reasons outside of my control. But then, I became sad as I really liked working there and the pay was great. I walk around the street crying pitifully until I bumped into a handsome and kind man. He apologized for bumping into me. As I heard him speak, his voice sounded vaguely familiar, but I put that in the back of my mind as I had more important things to worry about. See that I was crying, he asked if I was hurt. I told him no. Then he asked if I wanted to talk about what was wrong. It felt great knowing someone cared enough to ask me that, especially after the week I've had.

After talking to him about the horrible week I've had, I felt immensely better, but I was still worried about what to do next. But, to my surprise, the moment I had that thought, he tells me that he recently started a business and could use a manager. Then he told me if I was interested, to be at the docks by 10 a.m. I was a little worried at first when he said that he recently opened a business, thinking maybe he was trying to kidnap me. I was a tad paranoid from my recent kidnapping. But when he told me to be at the docks at 10 o'clock, I calmed down. From what I saw when the police brought me in for questioning, the dock was a busy place with lots of people. It was not a place you could easily kidnap someone. Thinking about what a good opportunity this could be, I could get potentially become top management in a start-up company, so I quickly said that I would be there.

After the man left, I realized I didn't even ask what his name was. I had to make sure to ask his name tomorrow, but for now, I had more things to worry about.

I needed to find a cheap hotel to stay at for the night. I had some money left on my credit card that the police manage to recover from the kidnapper, but only enough to last me a few days. In my old company, they usually paid for my stay at a hotel if I was on a business trip. If I decide to work here, I will need to find an apartment to stay at.

After searching around for half an hour, I finally found a cheap place to stay for the night. I was about to take a shower when it dawns on me that I forgot to call my parents to tell them I was okay. I immediately used the hotel phone to call them.

They were extremely worried about me as I usually call them about three times a week. I told them about everything that had occurred in the past few days. When I told them about how I had been kidnapped, they wanted me to come home straight away, but I convinced them that I was fine. Then I told them about how the company replaced me. They were infuriated to the point I thought they would explode. But after I calmed them down a bit, I told them about how I was offered a job, here in Alaska, as a manager for a start-up company. They were happy to hear that but told me to make sure to call them often. They also said that if I needed any money for food or a hotel to call them, they would send some over right away.

After talking to them for a couple of hours, I hung up the phone and took a shower before going to bed.

As I sleep, I dream of the past and what has led me to this point.

----------

My life up until the age of nine was pretty normal. My mother mostly stayed at home, but every Friday, she sold baked goods to a local shop for some extra money. My father worked as a manager for my maternal grandfather's business. My grandfather owned and operated a mining company. My maternal grandmother mostly stayed home, but she some times help my grandfather with his business.

A month after I turned nine years old, my grandmother died in a hit-and-run accident. My grandfather begged the police to find who killed his wife, but after three weeks, they ran out of leads to follow, so they stopped actively investigating the case. He pleaded for them to reopen the case for days, but they told him there was nothing they could do. After four days of begging and pleading, he hired a few private investigators. For months, he keep hiring investigators becoming more distant as time past.

Three months after the death of my grandmother, I overhear my father talking to my mother. He said that my grandfather had been asked, by the board of directors, to step down, as CEO, because of his mental health issues and excess spending.

After stepping down as CEO, my grandfather started to reconnect with the family. He took us to the theater and bought nice things for us. I could tell he was still sad, so I always tried to cheer him up whenever possible.

Two months pass, it was my grandmother's birthday if she were still alive. That evening I heard my father frantically come into the house to speak to my mother. I snuck up close to hear what they were saying. My father told my mother that the police found my grandfather with a hole in his head and a gun in his hand, sitting on a chair in his office at home. They also found his will and a note on the desk in front of him, so they have deemed it a suicide.

At the time, I did not truly know what the word suicide meant, but I did know that I would never see my grandfather again. Knowing that I would never see my grandfather again made me begin to weep. Hearing my crying, my parents found out that I was listening to them talk. They immediately picked me up and hugged me while we all started crying together.

Later on, I found out that in my grandfather's will, he gave my mother: his mansion, 10% stock in his mining company, and 50,000 dollars. He gave my father: his car, his guns, 10% stock in his mining company, and 50,000 dollars. He gave me 30,000 dollars in a trust fund to be used for college and my grandmother's and his wedding ring. The remainder of his stock, 10%, was to be given to a charity called Earth Alliance as well as the rest of his money. My grandfather only had 30% stock in his company at the time of his death because he had sold a good deal of it to pay for private investigators.

I deeply loved my grandfather. After his death, I was sad but, I knew what I wanted to do, I would work hard to become a powerful businesswoman, to make my grandfather proud.

I started to study extra hard. I took advanced classes, did extra credit, and I even had my father teach me economics when he was home.

All the hard work and dedication paid off, I graduated from high school at the age of 17 with a bunch of college credits. I decided to go to the same university as my mother and father, Metropolis University.

As I already had lots of college credits, I graduated in three years with a dual major in business and economics. About a month after I graduated, I got hired by a company. And the rest is history.

36