Chapter 21 – Dress for Success
439 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

//Author Note: I would strongly urge you to read Rotten Æther | Scribble Hub alongside this story. Shared world and setting, with crossovers coming!//

 

“So, why did you call for me?” Reeve Lewark stands over the corpse, not at all disturbed by the smell of it. His assistant looks over it, the curious scholar that he is, quickly realizing that my magic was not what killed the man.

“Well, I was looking for a reeve that we could trust,” I say. “I’m not the foolish girl that I was when you first met me in this home. The reeves who service the estates are just as corrupt as the nobles they judge, if we call for the wrong person, it could lead us to the gallows.”

He rubs at the scar on his face, mumbling to himself as he glares down at the body. I’m not sure of the internal politics but he should know more about what we should do to dispose of the problem, and I know he’s a decent enough sort.

“I may have someone who could sweep this away for you,” Lewark says. “The man is one of the few other officers that I can trust, and he is not fond of corruption. So, you had best explain this situation to me.”

“It was me,” Sonia says, stepping up to the reeve. “He was… he was trying to kill the young lady of the house. I stepped in and stopped him, the only way that I could.”

Lewark nods, picking up a small talisman from the side of the room and focusing on me.

“I’ll clean them up right away,” I say. “Though, I must support Sonia’s story. I was nearly killed by my enraged uncle when I informed him that I would not bow to his incestuous schemes.

“He was stronger than I anticipated.”

Belle quickly moves to help me gather up the expended figures, storing them away in some bags that we’ve kept handy for the task. Piper stands by the side of the bed looking down at the corpse impassively.

“You might want to reconsider all of this,” The reeve says, waving to Piper. “If he sees her, then I’m sure he’ll be more than upset.”

“Then he’d be in good company,” I say. “Would he perhaps understand how to remove their collars, I’m made to understand that they are dangerous to remove.”

Kai, Lewark’s assistant, leans closer to the slave girl, peering curiously at the enchanted gear. Have I asked him about this before? For some reason, my memory is failing me. Perhaps there are consequences for avoiding sleep.

Piper restrains a sneer, her face flinching visibly though she stands tall and brave against the young man who looks past her entirely. To him, the challenge of the collar is all that exists.

“I can work on these,” he says confidently. “They’re quite complicated, and an interesting puzzle.”

“As they should be,” Lewark grumbles. “Considering what they’re binding.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Piper asks, glaring at the man.

“It means that you’re an excuse to start a war,” he says. “I’m not overly fond of grand politics, but I understand well enough. Make sure that you’re all hidden from the grand reeve when he arrives, and when freed, do not make claims about being slaves.”

“Afraid of another war?” Piper asks, stepping up to the older man, who leans heavily on his cane. She seems fearless, unafraid that he might strike her down.

“I had a case last year, a hunting shack just outside of the city was burnt down to its foundations. It was no normal fire, it was æther fuelled magic. Still, we could find the bones inside.

“Norkit, your people. Far too many than could comfortably fit in such a small shack.” He sits at the side of the room as Kai continues to fumble about with the collar. I step nearer to the pair to look over the work, but it makes no sense to me.

“So what? More of my people were murdered by humans?” Piper spits.

“They had no tails, except for a few stubs, and they had cuts marring their skulls right around where their ears should be,” Lewark says, focussing on Piper. “I thought it was an estate ridding themselves of their slaves, but it wasn’t.

“It was a Norkit man. I still don’t know what inspired him, but it’s not the first time I’ve come across the same story.”

“That’s… that’s insane,” Piper growls, showing her teeth in a fierce sneer.

“Another war is inevitable, anyone with sense knows that much,” Reeve Lewark says. “Today, neither side is ready for it. Your existence could instigate an early war and no one important wants that, so it’s best for everyone if you don’t exist.

“That’s how I understand it, at least,” he says. “Maybe the man was just an insane murderer. Maybe he’s being played by someone, and he was himself lied to. Or maybe the people running things are themselves insane.

“All I know is that there are many people out there who would want you dead for what you represent,” Lewark says. “Another war.”

Piper growls low, and even as her collar drops off, she remains bound by a situation unwelcome to her. Even cursed to be hated by the sun, I feel more free than she likely does right at this moment.

“You may stay here until you know where you wish to go,” I say. “I’ll see you all healed of your…” I hesitate to describe the disfigurations.

Piper looks at me again, her eyes flicking back and forth as she considers my offer. I don’t know what she reads from me, or what she thinks of me, but eventually, she concedes.

“Do you mind if I keep this?” Kai asks, holding the collar up.

“Piper? It is yours to do with as you please,” I say, waving at the offending equipment.

“Do what you want with it,” she says, walking to the door. “Just make sure to get the rest of them.”

“Well, with that decided, it’s time for me to call my friend in,” Lewark says.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

“This isn’t how I imagined it,” Belle says, sitting beside me as we eat a simple meal of cold bread and sliced cheese. I’d likely have complained about such things earlier or found this meal, shared as we sit on my bed, to be an affront to proper etiquette, but even with it tasting as ash upon my tongue, I force it down.

I must retain my human nature and persist as a proper noble, even if it pains me.

“That’s a fine description of my life for the past week,” I say, recalling my life since my death. I have not slept once, and the memories are entangled in a bloody mess. “I still need to hunt, you’re welcome to join me then.”

“What about all of this?” Belle asks.

“I’ve already explained my plans, and Sonia seems willing to support me,” I say. “I’ll use my power for the good of my people. What more is there to be said?”

Up in the room, Sonia is speaking with the grand reeve, apparently quite endeared with the man. He seems an honourable sort, at the very least, and has helped us in the way that a proper reeve might.

Kai is still pulling the collars from the slaves, and Henry is reaching out to some of the more affable Knights he knows, seeing if they wish to ally with me now that I have the house and title without contest.

Belle and I have nothing to do, though we instigated all of this violent turmoil. We sit in my room as Therina looks through my closet for something clean to change me into. I need something proper to wear, something that signals the change in my position. Soon I’ll be sending away the rats and roaches that uncle hired as servants, and they will need to see my authority as genuine.

Belle silently considers the situation, and her part in it while Therina returns with a dress for me. It’s a bright red that makes my tongue twitch with wanting as my nose locks in on the smell of blood still lingering in this manor.

It’s cut quite sharp compared to my other dresses and the skirt is shorter than I’d like, only knee-length, leaving my legs exposed. Therina has a set of long socks to make up for it, but even so I’m not sure that it’s something that I’d like to wear.

“Not this,” I say, shaking my head at the sight of it. “Something with a cooler colour.”

Therina nods, returning to the closet.

“I need to do something about all this,” Belle says, her voice firm as she looks up at me. “The slaves, the politics, all of it is getting in the way of what’s right.”

I nod quietly, interested in hearing her plans.

“I’ve heard that some of the religious sects remain true to their values, perhaps one of them. Rathian, a god of purity and justice, maybe,” She says, waiting for my reaction.

“I can’t say that I know enough about them to judge if it is a good plan or not,” I say. “I will go with you to see them if that’s your wish. Perhaps they can provide you with further safety from your troubles.”

“Maybe,” Belle curls up as I remind her of the issues that pursue her. A royal who desires her hand but may perhaps be satisfied with her body alone.

Unacceptable.

“My lady,” Therina says, bringing me a cool blue dress.

I nod my agreement and begin to undress. There’s no need for shame, not here and not in this company. This frozen corpse that I possess is now cold as ice and beautiful only in the memory of what I once was.

A tight corset pulls in on my stomach, and without the need to breathe, I find no discomfort no matter how tight it’s drawn in on me. With some encouragement, Therina pulls it tighter than ever before.

The chest of the dress properly covers me, unlike the whores on the street I have no want to advertise myself as something to be sold, yet it still wraps around me and proves my feminine shape.

The long dress is thick, but not so much that it is a bother to walk in, and it reaches down to kiss at my ankles. I’m not so prudish that I must hide even that flesh, and I would not have my dress drag in the streets as I walk, gathering filth.

It’s all rather simple, but elegant. Tasteful pieces of lace accent the ends of my sleeves and form a tight collar around my neck.

“It suits you,” Belle says, but there is no passion in her compliment.

The grand reeve is getting ready to leave, and it seems that he’s satisfied with our explanation of events. Soon enough more greedy nobles will be coming to this estate to try and seize from me the little that I have.

I must be prepared.

If no knights can be found, then perhaps Henry can find me some talented soldiers that might want to be elevated to knighthood. I can’t personally see them granted as much, but the power of a knight is something that no one, noble or otherwise, can refuse a man.

“Thank you for helping us with this,” I say bowing to the reeve. “I hope that we can rely on you again in the future, too many in our positions are corrupted by money and selfish desires. It is good to have allies who stand for something greater.”

Therina adjusts the parasol above me as we stand at the gates.

“I have to concur,” he says. “It is unfortunate that your uncle was slain in such a situation, but I cannot deny that justice was served in his killing.”

Sonia bows her head gravely, likely as not recalling the moment of the killing. Belle was right in averting my hand. I was arrogant in thinking that I had to kill her too. I was much too eager for blood, affected by the situation and perhaps the cold and cruel nature that has newly afflicted me after my death.

I cannot afford such arrogance any longer. I am the inheritor of the title of countess, and I refuse to make the same mistakes as father.

“Have a good day.” The reeve leaves us standing at the gates, not looking back once.

“I must go and inform the help that they are no longer needed,” I say, leading Sonia back into the house. There is much cleaning to be done today, and I cannot bear to leave this house in such a sorry state for even a day longer than necessary.

It is time to start moving forward, to find the monster that slayed me, and find what future lies ahead of me.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

If you enjoy this story, like it, rate it, leave a comment, and share it around!

If you really like it and want more chapters join the Patreon, I need all your support to keep this going.

 www.patreon.com/formlesschimera

26