Chapter thirteen
6.4k 23 163
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So you are saying that he or she whoever it was got away?” Drake asked and it was evident from his tone that he was not happy, not in the least.

 

Lana, the panther girl kept her head down and quietly nodded, she was feeling pathetic at not being able to complete the task given to her.

 

“What exactly happened?” He asked nobody in particular but it was understood towards whom it was directed to.

 

“Well what exactly happened is quite unusual, the moment guards came in between you and prince Richard we had already sent our mana sense to determine the location of everyone who was still unconscious.” Shin, a member of Wolf’s clan, told him.

 

The Wolf clan was somewhat special in the demihuman empire, not only were they considered much smarter, agile and efficient in group activities than the rest of the demihumans but they also had excellent control over transformation magic courtesy to their innate skill of ‘Bloodlust’ which was activated only at full moon in which they completely give up their human form and became a twelve feet giant, muscular Wolf. It not only doubles their initial stats but makes them unable to feel pain and also adds a small healing factor.

 

Because of their transformation and sharp mind they are trained as spies and assassins from a young age which helps in shaping their reflexes, analytical decision making, danger perception and of course in the assassin and spy craft as it was the main goal. So when Shin said this Drake actually had his ears perked up and was eager to listen to his analysis.

 

“So even after that you were not able to determine his identity?” Drake asked.

 

“That’s exactly what has been bugging me, you must know that a wolf’s mana sense is much sharper and precise when compared to other demihumans or humans for instance but somehow not only did he completely dodged it but reflected it to someone else.” Shin concluded, making the expressions of all four people around him somewhat confused.

 

“Excuse me? He did what?” Lana asked and well everyone including Drake wanted to know the meaning behind his words.

 

“Oh my apologies, I forgot that you guys don’t consider mana theories important enough to dedicate some time to reading them.” He said in a sarcastic way making everyone around him glare at him in nuisance but they couldn’t refute him either, not even Drake as he was right.

 

Mana theories or the systematic study of Mana, an energy which was present in each and every living and non living thing, it was the source of all the other energies and without it life on this planet was considered impossible, It was abundant in the atmosphere supporting all the life forms from a Dragon to a measly ant. And when life evolved into a somewhat intelligent form they began to use this mana for their convenience, to make their life easier, to protect themselves and to prosper.

 

Dragons were the first species to understand this ‘power of Gods’ as they used to call it and began experimenting to determine what exactly was mana and how was it able to help them do unimaginable things? So some of them gave their life’s time to research and determine the origin, abilities and limitations of mana hence starting the study of Mana or Mana theories. Time passed on and other intelligent life forms came into being which went into a similar circle like the Dragons did and they also began to research about mana and the truth behind it.

 

Since then numerous Mana theories have been created, well discovered or found would be the right word to describe it but then it would offend the huge empires who want to and take full credit for these ‘new discoveries’. Many mana scientists and researchers have dedicated their lifespan to ‘create’ these theories and several of them are fully working but the majority is just theories with no credible source ,conclusive evidence or physical application to prove it.

 

And this was the major reason that in other academies around the continent and even in Origin Academy the unproven theories were either taught half-heartedly or entirely skipped, yes there were questions regarding this in the theory exam but mostly everyone relied on rote-learning to get it done and secure marks in the exams, the Academies wanted to change this behaviour but there was very little they could do due to the fact of theories being theories. The fact that the written exam constituted only 35 percent of the overall score made things even worse.

 

“Are you done showing off?” Drake asked a smug looking Shin who just chuckled and nodded.

 

“There are two possibilities, first he is actually strong enough to resist ours and Richard’s aura and then leave the place without any trace.” He dropped a shocking revelation which made them widen their eyes.

 

“Impossible” Lana was the first one to say and other two people also followed.

 

“Lana is right, that's impossible to believe.” Tyson, a tiger kin said.

 

“Yeah, that possibility of yours looks way off to be honest.” Altair said, he was a member of the Eagle clan.

 

Drake was the only one silent here at first he was contemplating over the fact that maybe just maybe there really is someone in the E class hiding his true abilities but it was an impossible task to do. Yes at the admission they don’t check the power level of the individuals but there was a minimum condition of Tier 3 and then there is that old man sitting in Principle’s office, can anyone really snoop under his nose, in his own turf and he won’t know? 

 

The other’s don’t know but he has seen the old man in action and let’s just say you would never ever want to be against him because then your survival is as good as zero. So he deleted the thought of someone that strong coming in and still staying in the E section.

 

He looked over to Shin, telling him to continue.

 

“The second possibility which is not as bizarre as the first one yet unbelievable is that he or she has used the reflection theory.” Shin said but forgot to look at everyone else’s face which had a big question mark on it but after a moment he did and rectified his mistake.

 

“It’s actually a simple theory in which you can use atmospheric mana to deflect the unnatural mana present around someone. Uhh… in simple words it can reflect an aura or a pure mana attack.” Shin concluded.

 

“So he just used a theory. What's special about that?” Lana asked and she was right as using already proven or displayed theories is easy enough if you can control mana flow and practice it, she herself knows quite a lot of them and has many attack theories in her arsenal.

 

“The thing is this theory is still not proved much less a practical application of it and oh it is taught to us but only in the third year.” Shin said and sat down on the table then began to eat his food.

 

The rest of them were not as calm as he was and how could they be? An unproved mana theory was actually used in their presence more importantly it was used by a first year student and on top of that it was used by someone from the E section who could barely grasp the already proven theories. If they had said this to anyone who knew about mana theories they would have laughed at them and said, ‘What a nice joke.’

 

“That’s also not right, if there was someone as capable as that they would not have used it like this, it would be the biggest joke to use in a cafeteria of all places.” Drake said, easing the tense atmosphere.

 

“What’s the other possibility?” He asked, knowing the over cautious trait of his friend.

 

‘Sigh’ 

 

“Well it’s one of the more possible ones.” Shin said while eating his double decker extra cheese loaded grilled sandwich.

 

“And what’s that?” Lana had already guessed that but she still asked.

 

“We all are overthinking it was maybe an error in mana sense on my part or maybe his luck is too good for us.” 

 

Everyone thought about that and nodded telling themselves that it was just a misunderstanding on their part, everyone but Drake and Shin who were still thinking on how to ascertain his identity.

 

“Umm guys? Why don’t we just use the CCTVs installed in the cafeteria?” Altair asked well he was the most shy one in this group and was waiting for his chance to speak, not wanting to disturb when someone’s already talking.

 

“That’s not a bad idea, we could ask the Student Council that I lost my bracelets and needed the footage.” Lana said in her usual professional voice while displaying her two golden color bracelets which had tribal markings engraved on them and a small panther cub at the very end of them.

 

“That’s not possible.” Drake said and left the table, everyone else wanted to follow him but were stopped by Shin who said,

 

“Don’t follow him and the reason we can’t use the CCTVs is because it is under the Principal's control and even the Student Council can use it only after getting his explicit permission which is as rare as it can get.” Shin told everyone.

 

On Richard’s table after getting every capable first year’s name written with both Richard and Aurora they were also thinking about the last entry on the list, someone unidentified from the E section and this was giving them a major headache and after reaching a somewhat similar conclusion to that of Drake’s group now they had completely lost it.

 

To get someone into their faction who could use an unproven mana theory would be awesome but there was always the possibility of all this being a fluke so they were reluctant to either go in for the search or leave it? But what if there was actually someone like that in there? And what if Drake got him before they could, now that was a major concern.

 

“So what should we do, Aurora?” Richard asked her when she was thinking.

 

“He will show himself sooner or later so there is no need for us to get worked up.” She said and at that moment someone came up from behind and sat beside her.

 

“She is right, you moron.” Drake said and everyone looked at him, Richard was furious at being called a moron but he decided to let it slip, for once.

 

“What are you doing here?” Aurora said in her aloof voice.

 

“Hmm, I can’t come here?” He asked with a toothy smile.

 

“You can but what is your purpose?” Aurora asked, sighing.

 

“Do I need to have a purpose to come to you?” He asked flashing his stupid smile.

 

And oh yes it was no hidden thing that the Demihuman prince is in love with the elf princess and heir to the throne. Drake had first met her at the Royal Rumble where he fell in love at first sight, well he was kid so it would not be right to call it love but an attraction was formed, it was after seeing her epic battle against Richard that ignited his dream of becoming the strongest person in the entire world and then maybe someday marry her.

 

He had never publicly accepted that fact but it was not really a hidden affair too, he loved her and it was pure love devoid of any lust or bad thoughts against her. Maybe that was the major reason he could never gather the courage to confess his feelings as what if she refused? And then his heart gets broken, would he be able to deal with all of that?

 

So when the entire world knows about her ‘hidden love’ how can Aurora herself not not know this? Well at first she merely took it as an attraction from the opposite gender but with time she has come to respect Drake and become his friend, but was she in love? Not in entirety, yes from one angle he was the perfect candidate but she herself was not sure about her feelings and also there is this thing that she had never been in love so these were new things to her.

 

When her father asked about her own feelings before coming to the academy she answered that she wanted some time to think about it and that’s why these three years in the Academy were very special to her.

 

“So what’s your take on the E section?” She knew about the abilities of Shin so she asked him this question.

 

“Just as you have said, he would have to come out sooner or later so there’s no need for us to do something extra.” Drake replied.

 

She and Richie fell into thought and he was right, there were going to be a lot of activities when one has to show his real abilities so he can’t really hide and it was okay to forget about him, for now that is.

 

“Did you try the red sauce pasta? I had it and it was very mouth watering.” Drake asked her.

 

“I haven’t.” She replied and now she wanted to try some of that.

 

‘RINGGGG….’

 

 

The bell rang ending the lunch break and no body was more irritated by this than Drake, he could have got some alone time with her but no the bell had to ring at this very exact time ruining this opportunity. He looked at her and saw her face which looked a little sad, maybe she too wanted to eat with him? That made him feel a little happy and like that all of them went to their respective classes.

 

Drake was unhappy due to the fact that he was in B class while Aurora and Richard were in A section, to be honest it was nowhere fair for the academy administration to keep someone like him in B section but due to the petty politics and the hate some groups in charge have against the demi’s they were put into B.

 

Drake knew that he had to change things and the opportunity would present itself next week at the ranking wars.

 

Akira on the other hand was now in the class, thinking about how close he was to get caught and how he forgot about Shin in Drake’s team. That wolfkin was a big problem even for Richard so he has to be on guard against him if he tries something, but he shouldn’t right? It’s not like they are after me or something, I am just your average guy studying in the E section.

 

Talking about E section, the kids here are stupid, plain stupid. One rumour, yes just one rumour whose authenticity is not proven nor do you guys know about me or her but you guys have to alienate me, not like I care but still what’s your reason behind doing all this ‘I won’t talk to him just because I heard a nasty rumour.’

 

“Wait, is that Saito?” Akira muttered after seeing a familiar boy sitting at the front and sure enough it was Saito, a boy with thin frame, oiled and combed black hair, his face was like a nerd with thick framed glasses and he had a lanky stature.

 

“Isn’t he one who was studying with Akira at the library back when they were preparing for entrance?”

 

“No he always sat at one of the corners of the library  and talked to no one but look at him now, having a big group with some cute girls and he is chatting with them, he sure has made some progress.”

 

“Ehh?? Haruno is also here?” She was Akira’s neighbour and that bespectacled girl who kind of stood up for him.

 

Haruno was what you call a girl who had homely vibes exuding from her, She had a small and cute face with big eyes that always fluttered when she got excited or nervous and small yet delicate lips which could form a big ‘O’ apart from that, she also had silky glossy black hair and an overall positive orientation towards things in general, oh and she had a secret locked deep in her heart.

 

The previous Akira never interacted more than two lines with her it would always go like,

 

In morning,

Haruno- Good morning, Akira-kun how are you?

Akira- Oh hey Haruno.

 

And then he would run off to do his usual things and she would be left standing there with a sad face.

In the evening, when he would come back sometimes she would be sitting near the window of her room and when she sees him,

 

Haruno- how was your day Akira-kun?

Akira- Good, how was yours?

 

And before she could reply he would dash off in her house leaving her stranded and sad yet again.

 

“I never knew that she was preparing for the entrance too. Well she is a good girl so I hope the best for her.” 

 

Like Saito and Haruno there were many known people present in the class, some of them he had seen in the market, some near the adventurer guild building and some here and there, so one of the reason that everyone in this class was avoiding him was that a whole lot of students were from the city itself, many lived near his and Lily's house so his past deeds and shitty attitude was not actually a hidden affair for anyone and to be honest even I wouldn't associate with a guy like the previous Akira.

 

RINGGG…

 

The lunch break ended and after a small gap the next teacher made his entrance, quelling the chit-chat of students as all of them went to their respective seats. This teacher was a normal human and if he remembers right his name should be something like,

 

“Hello, I am Martin White and I would be teaching you literature.”

 

Martin was a man in his late 30s he didn’t have that crazy build of a bodybuilder but rather a swimmer’s physique and with his tight white shirt and narrow dark grey jeans you could very well see those chiselled muscles. He had short blonde hairs which were parted on one side giving him an intellectual look and if facial expressions could talk he would say ‘no nonsense’.

 

Ah, yes he was the no-nonsense Martin. A very strict teacher who had a track record of punishing students for even the slightest mistake and mind you he was even extreme while evaluating your answer sheets, one mistake and he would would one-fourth of the marks, two mistakes and one-half would be gone, three and you are failed. 

 

I know this is totally BS but it’s his way of doing things and teachers at this academy are given complete freedom on how to do their job, barring some restrictions. So even if you don’t like his way and don’t want to study under him, you are free to walk away from the class and he won't even stop you or bat an eye but then forget to clear his subject.

 

Akira knew how strict this guy was so he immediately straightened his back and put his full focus on him but the others who took him softly like the previous teachers were not lucky.

 

“I would like all of you to pay your utmost attention towards me.” He had a charismatic voice that demanded attention and you had no choice but to give him that.

 

Now there was utmost silence in the class everyone fanatically looked at him and waited for his instructions, everyone but Akira as he knew this guy was using his innate skill of ‘Magnetic Charisma’ it was a useful skill but worked only on those who were weaker than him.

 

How Akira was managing to stay out of it was a conundrum; he knew that Martin, even though was a literature teacher, was still strong enough to kick his ass so why was he able to resist that? He didn’t know neither had the time to think about that as the lesson continued.

 

163