10. The System… Speaks Now?
9.8k 26 334
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She was submerged in total darkness. Nothing but silence persisted in its cold embrace. She could feel how heavy her body had become. No matter how hard she tried she could not muster the strength to move.

The memories of her life on Earth felt so distant. These invisible, fleeting streaks of light went somewhere. They became something, as did countless more. She could feel the presence of a thousand memories not belonging to her; the combined information travelling across the void and becoming a singularity.

But she could not understand this information. Yet she felt like everything she knew was a part of it.

Like something had devoured her knowledge. But it did not steal it. She could still remember everything so vividly.

All was silent until the lights became a ball darker than the void. Something was created. And as she looked upon it with unopened eyes, she heard the monotone voice speak.

“… wake up.”

But Frost could not open her eyes in this suspended space.

And so, the System revealed a message to her.

 

< Wake Up >

 

* * *

 

“… Sk…”

Another voice whispered. It was an innocent voice. Almost childlike.

“…wer…”

Is… someone touching me?

Sensation slowly returned to her. It radiated from the tips of her finger, running across her entire body. The coarse, uneven ground stabbed through the back. She had been laying down for an unknown amount of time now.

“… Skew…”

A pair of warm hands roamed her body, roughly shaking her to illicit a response. They were wet hands. Sticky, and smelled strongly of bitter iron. Frost’s eyes slowly opened not to light, but to the darkness of the same place that robbed her of her life.

“Skewer?”

And then – Jury’s vibrant eyes suddenly popped above her.

Her collapsing pale hair easily roused Frost awake, and when she finally came to, her hands instantly shot to her chest in shock.

“The wounds!? They’re not… here anymore…?”

Frost’s voice trailed away when she confirmed that her body had completely healed. She slowly rose to a seated position, staring down at her half-naked body in disbelief.

“Greater Healing can’t heal fatal wounds, I don’t think? What’s happened to me? I… I shouldn’t even be alive. I shouldn’t… still be here.”

She light brushed her fingers across the flesh that was once destroyed, hesitant in her methods as if the wounds were still present. She flinched as she touched her stomach, wincing to the phantom pain as she steadily became lucid of the situation.

“… I really am alive. All of me. Me… Haaaah. Jury. Do I look human to you?” Frost spoke to herself in a quiet voice, touching her own face and finding fresh blood smeared across her cheek.

“Big skewer.” Jury clumsily bared her teeth which were similarly drenched in blood. It was a strange gesture, but enough to make Frost smile to herself when she realized what Jury was trying to do.

She was smiling.

“Are you trying to cheer me up? Thanks. But I’m fine now. You look more livelier than ever as well. Thank goodness you’re not hurt either.” Frost sighed, warmly smiling in return.

Jury was as large as she was now in every proportion imaginable. It was odd seeing a woman act so… animalistic? Childish? She didn’t know how to describe Jury other than as curious soul.

It was a shame that people like her were seen as monsters.

Status.

 

< ORIGIN : Archetype >

 

The message of the Amalgam’s Awakening left her equally as curious as she was confused about herself. But she didn’t allow it to dehumanize her. In the end, Frost still saw herself as a human regardless of what she had become.

Thankfully she didn’t feel any different. Moreso, she didn’t feel hungry anymore.

She was oddly sated.

“Yeah… I guess you were right all along for calling me a skewer. Shit… it still hurts.” Frost tried to find some humor in the situation, as bleak as it was.

She had already resolved herself to living, so she did not need to grieve any further. But it still agonized her immensely knowing that she was lured here to be executed. And even more so that she was considered a monster by that thing named Iscario.

Even a place as unreachable as the Nexus had its own share of rats.

Frost shook her head rapidly to refocus her attention on the situation at hand. She had a bigger enemy to worry about now.

“Jury. Thank you. I don’t know what you did while I was asleep, but I can tell you looked after me. Really, thank you.”

The adult Jury, who was significantly larger than Frost in all relevant proportions, yelled out:

“Forest!”

“Haaah. We still can’t understand each other at all. But that’s a little closer to my name. Aha… ha… dammit.”

Frost temporarily sulked, squeezing her hands repeatedly before she suddenly clenched them tightly when she found her resolve to look past Jury’s golden eyes.

The darkness was foreboding. An infinite, flat stretch of black tree lines surrounded her in every direction. If she didn’t know any better, she would have guessed that she was in some sort of purgatory.

The ever-burning glow of the one thousand eyed bird loomed in the background as the only other source of light aside from Jury’s eyes. Somehow, she could make out the trees as they were darker than the air itself, but other than that, she was completely blind in this place.

She eventually rose to her feet to scout out her immediate surroundings. Thankfully, there was nothing save for a number of splattered blood and mounds of feathers.

“… Was something else here?” She asked no one in particular, kneeling down to touch it.

It was still warm.

“Beast. Skewered. Forest!” Jury, who also stood up as well, said while making strange motions with her jaw, like she was eating something.

Now that Frost realized it, Jury was considerably taller now at a height of 170 cm. She had to look up to meet with her eyes.

This is Jury right? What could have caused her to get so big in such a little amount of time? No. Don’t tell me it’s because of the Blessing I gifted her.

Status.

 

LEVEL : 70  

< Unhung Jury >

   
NAME : ??? HP : 8,000

AGI : 30

RESIST : 25  
AGE : 26

ATT : 130

     
ORIGIN : Original

MAG ATT : 0

     

    

 

“Y-you’ve also changed origins. From Folklore to Original. And I can see your resist stat, name and that title at the top as well. Is this because I gave you the Blessing?”

“Run?” Jury… no, Jury wasn’t even her name to begin with.

It was her title. Well, if that’s what the top section was even called. The woman tilted her head curiously, staring fondly down at Frost almost like she was her own mother. Frost stared into those golden eyes, wondering why Jury had saved her.

If it was for helping her out with the children then this person, who the world called a monster, was more human than anyone she knew. Frost mellowed knowing that Jury’s heart was as gentle as the feathers she wore.

“… You know, you could’ve just left me alone. But you didn’t. And you’re still here standing in front of me. If I head off into the forest, would you still stay by my side?”

Frost asked her as she slowly backed away, only to have her hand snatched back by the woman. The woman seemed to understand her intentions and refused to allow her to venture alone. If there was anyone who knew what lurked in this place, it would certainly be one of its residents.

“I guess I’ll take that as a yes.” Frost smiled, staring hopefully into the only source of light she could cherish in this forsaken forest.

 

* * *

 

Frost hunkered down until she could properly assess the situation. The first hurdle was clearing out the terminology that was used by the System, as well as understanding what her abilities as the Archetype of Amalgam were. That way she’d be able to get a better grasp of what exactly she was up against.

 

< PARADISE LOST >

< The 7th and final classification of the Arbiter’s Trumpet. Originated from the loss of Paradise; the only event in which the Nexus was forced to abandon all hope. No information otherwise.” >

 

Huh?

Frost thought she was hearing the voice rather than seeing it. It sounded oddly familiar like the one from when she was asleep. Regardless, this information came to her as a surprise. Her ‘awakening’ event was classified as Paradise Lost. Wouldn’t that mean she was strong?

Still… wasn’t someone just speaking to me right now?

The next one she wished to understand better was the Eternal Night prompt that appeared.

 

< ETERNAL NIGHT >

< “The 4th classification of the Arbiter’s Trumpet. Entities of this classification are regarded as beyond the capabilities of all outside of the Nexus save for the strongest. Please do not die.” >

 

“Something is speaking to me.” Frost whispered idly, not knowing whether she was on the onset of some sort of mental breakdown or that this voice was actually real. “Can you explain to me what the Arbiter’s Trumpet is then if you don’t mind, disembodied voice?”

 

< Arbiter’s Trumpet >

< “From my understanding the Arbiter’s Trumpet is a warning system that classifies the threat level of all creatures, whether Corrupted or not. It was created by the Archetype of Judgement herself after Paradise fell. Satisfied? Please answer yes. I also meant it when I said for you to not die. I’ll most likely perish as well.” >

 

“Then we have a mutual goal. So, you’re the System then?” Frost concluded, not knowing what else to call it.

“Call me what you wish. I don’t know what I am myself.” The monotone, cold, lifeless voice answered with utmost clarity. “I just merely exist.”

“R-run!?” Jury suddenly yelped, darting her head back and forth in confusion. Frost instantly swiped herself up to her feet to see what was wrong, but to her surprise, Jury was just as confused. “Forest?”

“Surprising. I can view her status as well. She must have been given the blessing by you. Otherwise I cannot explain.”

“Forest? Forest? Forest?” Jury repeatedly called out her name, rocking her head from side to side as she curiously clutched onto Frost’s shoulder like a child begging for the help of her mother.

“She must be confused about hearing my voice.”

“I-I’m here. This might be more trouble than it’s worth. Can’t you speak to us individually?” Frost patted Jury’s blood-stained hands, eventually causing her to calm down.

“That I can.” The voice said unapologetically.

“And so you chose to speak to both of us knowing that Jury can’t understand?” Frost spoke with sharpened edge in her voice. Now was not the time to start sparking confusion for no reason.

“That was not my intention. I can hardly understand what is occurring as well. All I know is that I exist in your minds… suspended in a color I cannot describe.” It admitted emotionlessly. Frost couldn’t tell how genuine it was.

The voice alluded to some sort of artificial intelligence, either created by the Nexus or her Blessing. She couldn’t tell and had no concrete proof other than it appeared after the Blessing of the Amalgam took over the Blessing of the Nexus.

Still, hearing it admit its intentions caused Frost to calm down. She had misjudged it.

Sorry. I guess we’re in the same boat then.

“That we are.”

Can you answer more of my questions… System? She didn’t know what to call the voice.

“That I shall, for it must be my purpose of existence. But… it’s cloudy. Murky more accurately. I have all this knowledge in the form of a fleeting memory. Please treat me like a newborn fawn.”

“… I’d rather not have to deal with another one.” Frost sighed. “What does it mean by an Archetype?” She ended up asking out loud as Jury continued to sway her head, wondering what Frost was being silent for.

 

< ORIGIN : Archetype >

< “Born from the Second Advent; the Advent of Amalgamation; the Nexus. Archetypes are, with no easy way to word it, the thesis of all that their concept comprises of, sewn up into a conscious entity that encapsulates it.” >

 

“Example: The Arbiter is the Archetype of Judgement. She rules the Floor of Judgement in the Upper Sanctums of the Nexus. As such, the Arbiter can be equated to the concept of judgement itself. You are the Amalgam. A floor likely awaits you in the Nexus. But that is the limit of what I know. Was I helpful? Please say yes.”

It was a staggering mouthful to swallow, and an even harder struggle to digest. Frost was somehow the epitome of what an Amalgamation should be, yet she was still completely human. In appearance at the very least.

She knew her internals were out of whack since she did not seem to pass waste, although, it was amusing that she could still sweat.

Yeah. You were helpful. Thank you. But can I ask one more thing?

“Ask so you don’t have to die because of your ignorance.”

What does it mean by ‘Awakening’? My origin ended up changing because of it. Then there was the Realization which ended up giving Jury my blessing. It caused her origin to change as well. From Folklore to Original.

“It can be more closely tied to a manifestation of some kind. I am only guessing because neither the Awakening or Realization spark anything from mind. Jury was a Corrupted. Have you realized?”

That sobered Frost right up, nearly smashing her head against Jury’s who suddenly held onto Frost’s hands, gently guiding her towards the pile of feathers as if to cheer her up.

“Now she is an Original. A being that is ‘Jury’ as is, and not one that is bounded by the forces that gave birth to the Corrupted originally. As to what creates the Corrupted; that is unknown.”

“Now that you mention it… I was able to see that bird’s status as well despite it being a Corrupted. A Folklore origin implies a myth or a prominent story. It makes sense with the story of the Black Forest as well, and how the crying child ended up coming to be.” Frost concluded as she rummaged her hands into the feathers with Jury absentmindedly.

“Do you imply stories create the Corrupted?”

“No way. I’m not that desperate to start reaching for stars. Not yet. I’m saying maybe there’s something else deeper to it than just the folklore itself.” Frost could only speculate, as could the System.

But in the end, it mattered little. Frost was satisfied with her answers. She knew now that the bird was not something just anyone could defeat. Hence, she planned to escape this purgatory. However, there was one glaring problem.

 

< The One Thousand Eyed Bird Scours for the Big Skewered Beast >

 

< CONDITION : Denizens of the Black Forest may never leave until judgement is enacted >

 

These words had been hovering at the back of her mind for some time now.

This meant there was no escaping from this place now that the bird was searching for the ‘skewered beast’. Frost somehow needed to beat this thing to leave. How a level 22 was supposed to fight a level 150 was beyond her.

Thankfully, there was a small, sliver of hope.

Like any well-designed overpowered boss fight in a game, this creature had a certain requirement to defeat it.

 

< SUBJUGATION REQUIREMENT : Enact Judgement >

 

“Between you and me Jury, do you think your verdict is going to sway one thousand other juries?” Frost winced at the near impossibility of wining against this thing at its own game, or otherwise. “10,000 ATT. I could die nearly a hundred times over in one hit… and I think I’d prefer to die quickly this time. Tch.”

She still could not wave off the agony of being killed. Of being skewered and dragged alive, or the pain of witnessing countless murders occur before her very eyes. It left her shaken. Shaken until she steeled herself for what needed to be done in order to live.

Jury found Frost’s hand in the pile and clutched them. They burst forth from the mound as a shower of feathers rained down all around them. In the clawed cage where her hand resided Frost noticed that Jury was poking at her palm with her free hand.

“Forest skewered big beast.”

And then it hit her.

If the Skewered Beast was the one to be judged, then Frost needed to make that bird the Skewered Beast itself.

Before that though, she needed to check her newfound abilities.

Status.

 

< ABILITY : Archetype of Amalgamation >

< Manifest the unique strength of those devoured >

< Attain minor stats of those devoured >

< Amalgam’s Will increases when HP lowers. Consuming replenishes MP >

 

< ABILITY : Blessing of the Amalgam >

< Able to gift target with the Blessing of the Amalgam after the hidden criteria is met. Overrides the Blessing of the Nexus. Realization criteria is only available for the Corrupted >

 

< ABILITY : Mark of Judgement >

The Arbiter's humble invitation to visit her floor >

 

It was here where Frost realized that she could have easily figured out that Jury was originally a Corrupted if she had just read her ability first. Also...

I really was a damned lottery ticket.

334