52. The Nex Megalopolis
6.2k 34 249
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I like to think that we’re smart. Like a fox. We’re part wolves but you get the gist. Strong people like us are needed for a secret mission of this caliber.” Cer recited rung as a faint mechanical hum caused their lavished train compartment to vibrate. “A search and rescue operation. They sent their most respected three into the fray without backup.”

“Without backup.” Ber reiterated, emphasizing this one detail as she slotted herself down beside Cer. The train compartments consisted of merely cushioned chairs and a long table fitted beside windows.

The interior was finished with a polished-walnut look, which caused light to reflect in every direction. These lights seemed to focus all onto Cer like a spotlight. She placed her hands together and leaned onto the table, her gaze meeting with the person sitting across them.

All fell silent. No. The whole compartment did. This person held their breath momentarily before Cer continued:

“Our story is unlike any other. The lands we’ve travelled. The places we’ve seen. The people we’ve saved…”

“A renowned Hero.” Ber added as Res, who sat closest to the window, had her face permanently glued to the outside.

“And that’s why, if you have a heart, then you can at least give us something in return for our feats –”

“That’ll 20 copper please.” The woman, who was dressed in a maid-like outfit, said. She completely ignored everything Cer had said, as she should.

The pesky wolf-woman even pressured this poor vendor into taking a seat when she should have been serving the people aboard.

“No you don’t get it –”

“Well, you won’t get anything either without paying. Goodbye~” The vendor spoke as professionally as she could to these two before promptly leaving, ignoring their pleas.

The woman simply wheeled off with her cart of sweets, drinks, and other savoury goods along the compartment to other paying customers.

“W-wait! Please, have a heart!” Cer cried.

“We’re starving!” Ber was utterly devastated by the woman’s cruelty.

Res silently banged her forehead against the window.

“… I’m supposed to be sisters with you two?” Res uttered.

The reason why she had been staring so intently outside was because she did not want to be associated with these two. But that was impossible as triplets!

Cer and Ber were about as obnoxious as they were here than in the Nexus. Wherever these two went trouble was sure to follow in one way or another.

“Hey, you’re talking like we’ve eaten anything good for the last 12 days. Repositories are all shut down so we can’t exchange Nex for coins. And there is no way I’m keeping coins on me.” Cer blabbered on, deflating over the table. “So damned hungry… when the hell is this Caldera Industries piece of junk going to start moving?”

Their compartment was hardly populated. But the ones that were here watched on as if they were viewing some sort of comedy skit. Res wondered if these two were even aware as to why they were always called the ‘Jesters’ by everyone in Act X.

She sighed and looked beyond the window.

They were in a fabulously crafted train station made from marble. Women wearing maid outfits similar to the vendor could be seen patrolling the stations, alongside men in butler outfits aiding those who had questions.

The station in question was a two-storied building. Their train was the only one on the top floor; reserved only for those could either afford it or were Blessed. These ones were the Express Trains. The others on the ground floor were intersectoral trains and did not directly connect to the next city over.

Hearts alongside many symbols of love could be seen no matter where one looked, whether it be the tile floors or the ceiling that housed a red, heart-shaped window. The interior lighting was tinted a slight red as a result.

“2 minutes. Just shut up and stay quiet. We’re 24 hours away from the City of Diamonds.” Res scolded in a hiss, also partially affected by her hunger pangs.

They had hardly eaten anything in the last 12 days. The vast plains of Brandar were ill populated by friendly wildlife, and half of the things out there were hardly edible, not to mention that civilized life hardly existed beyond the Megalopolis in Brander.

They could count the number of villages they passed on their journey on only one hand.

But they were here now, in the City of Hearts – one of the 5 major cities that made up the Nex Megalopolis.

 

sUHL2px.png

hrYRdfJ.png

Please remain seated at all times. You may experience whiplash or injury otherwise. Please make the onboard Healer aware of your injuries. Caldera Industries appreciates your commitment to using our Express Network.”

 

The train conductor spoke through a magical intercom. The male voice could be heard in every corner of the train. The vendor immediately suspended her services and moved into a small compartment to prepare for the train’s imminent take off.

A melodic ding then played, visibly irritating Cer.

 

“Remember – Flying is not permitted over Nex Megalopolis under any circumstances. We appreciate the compliance of all races.”

 

“Mommy. Why are we not allowed to fly?” A dragonkin child asked their mother from somewhere behind.

“Oh dear, it’s because we’re very close to the Nexus. They might mistake us for trying to enter the city.” A tall woman with dragon-like wings, a thick tail, and scales around various parts of her body explained to her daughter as the train suddenly lifted itself just a meter off the ground.

“Why is that?” The child asked.

“Only special people are allowed in there, sweetie. Daddy is working very hard as an Adventurer to get us a home inside.” The mother added. “Hold onto my hand. The train is going to move now.”

The train instantly burst forward seconds later with hardly any warning. It shot forward and followed a single continuous steel beam that cut through the splendid buildings in this compact urban area before the landscape began to evenly spread out.

The Nex Megalopolis could be better described as a vast network of urban complexes. There were no buildings higher than two stories, with the overwhelming majority being single floored only. The thematic red color spanned the entire City of Hearts, as black-stone bricks replaced the soil as far as the eye could see.

A single purple spire could be seen off in the direction that led deeper to Brandar and its near endless plainlands beyond the city walls. This spire was none other than the 6th Branch of the Justica Arms. They were responsible for maintaining order within the Megalopolis to the best of their abilities.

To the left was where the real prize resided. Towering structures rose from a place inaccessible to all, glistening with lights and shimmering like stars during nightfall. These structures were nearly a hundred meters in height and boasted incredible architecture, most of which depicting romantic elements, instilling many hearts with emotion when they revered its great heights.

The walls surrounding it were low, but they were heavily guarded by high-ranking Atelier members. No one was foolish enough to dare set foot into those places where not even Moons like Cer, Ber and Res themselves were allowed in.

Not even Beholders of other Ateliers are allowed inside those cities…

Currently, they were not truly within the City of Hearts itself, but instead its surrounding sectors. The true heart of this city belonged to the members of the Atelier known as ImpulseWorks – the creators of their electrical Atelier weapons.

 

< Leaving City of Hearts | Epiderma H10 >

< Estimated time to reach City of Diamonds | Epiderma D10 | 24 hours >

 

Entering these cities were an aspiration for many. Under exceptionally very rare circumstances were people allowed to set foot within. They were essentially sanctuaries from the external and internal threats that plagued both Brandar and partially Emvita.

These were the Dungeons.

“Life here isn’t bad. Probably the safest place in the world by a loooong margin.” Cer monologued, straightening herself out. “But everyone wants that guarantee in life. The 0% chance of getting killed by an emerging Dungeon. Grandis on the other hand? Good luck surviving there. I bet you 500,000 Nex that none of these people would last a day there.”

“500,001 Nex that they won’t last 30 minutes.”

“You serious!? I’ll take that deal –!” Cer slammed the table with an open palm and shoot up, instantly startling everyone within the compartment.

Res mentally abused these damned look doppelgangers of hers.

“Shhh! We’re sorry for the disturbance!” She reached over and towed the woman down to her seat like a child. “These are normal people. Leave them alone. I get you two despise having to share the same air as these people but suck it up and shut up.”

“Haaah. Yes ma’am.” Cer, despite how… moronic she was, could read the seriousness in her sister’s face and complied.

“Loud and clear.” Ber folded her arms and nodded.

At least these two have a functioning brain to listen.

Brandar and Emvita to an extent were known for 3 things. The Dungeons. The plethora of work for opportunities for work. And the Nex Megalopolis, which was built within the last 15 years after Paradise was lost in a combined effort by the Ateliers.

While its complexity and urban density was hardly comparable to Paradise, it boasted interconnected networks, functioning systems such as a judiciary body, and a population of up to 5 million spread across its lands.

However, there was also virtually zero people living beyond its walls. What remained along those green plains were either small villages, or the towns in the west that connected this place to Grandis via Divas Pass. Elsewhere were ruins, much like the Sermount Ruins they Hyperwarped to.

That, as well as Dungeons. Many, many Dungeons. It is unknown how these Dungeons came to be or why they existed. All that they knew was that they had the ability to sporadically appear from nowhere and begin altering the environment to its whims.

Much like how certain Corrupted do after some time, as well bearing the similar ability to construct creatures from seemingly thin air.

One of the most common creatures to spill from these Dungeons were the Hungry – a quasi-sapient race of monsters that knew nothing but to consume flesh and compile it; ever angrily and spoke in a language that not even the Blessed could decipher.

These things, while weak compared to a Moon, never mind a Beholder, were once considered existential threats, and were thought to be Corrupted for the longest time until the arrival of the Arbiter and their Risk Classification System.

In any case – their sudden appearance was why the Megalopolis was divided into sectors, as well as why people yearned to enter the cities. Because Dungeons could not appear within, and if they did, then they would be obliterated by the Atelier’s strongest forces at hand.

Each sector represented a certain population, with a major town, minor city, and various facilities. They were governed only by their Atelier in question.

Res stared out the window for some time. Whether it be farmlands, buildings, or nature, she would mentally take note of them. Not the environment, but the people there. As fast as the floating train was, they were Moons; one of the most powerful beings in Elysia.

It was quite easy picking out the details.

These people, be it the Adventurers in their small parties, farmers, merchants, or the common folk – all of them wore their happiness and aspirations on their sleeves. The Megalopolis was a place that nurtured people like this despite the looming threat of the Dungeons and monsters beyond.

It was different from most of the world… and certainly from Grandis. At least people here were allowed to live freely and worry only about Adventuring, making coin and supporting their lives. Educational institutions even existed in the Megalopolis and saw people from across Elysia flock to these places with great ambitions.

“… what are you smiling to yourself about? If it’s a joke, then tell us. C’mon. Don’t keep it to yourself.” Cer appeared in the reflection, poking at Res’ cheek.

“Nothing. I was thinking what they taught people in schools here.” Res half-lied.

“It’s brothel city. What else do you think they’re going to teach people?” Ber said. “That Succubus Beholder runs ImpulseWorks. You think they teach people good things here?” as Cer rapidly nodded in agreement.

“Remember the last time we went to get our stuff maintained? Those Aquatids touched us more than they touched our weapons… now if they had Frost’s eyes then maybe… huh, what’s with those looks?”

“Forget I said anything. Idiots…”

 

* * *

 

Hours eventually elapsed and the world outside began to turn dark. The lights of the city sectors twinkled very dimly, with the larger urbanized areas appearing like a small flame in the distance.

The City of Hearts on the other hand was like a star. It glowed ever more brightly as the darkness crept along the lands of Brandar. The stars in the night sky were almost completely drowned by its immense light, shining like a beacon for the world too see. And it was not just the City of Hearts.

The City of Diamonds ahead also glowed vividly, as well as the City of Spades and the City of Clubs far behind. Even the City of Strings, which belonged to the Atelier Act X had its pale-blue lights banish the darkness of the night. Still, the sectors further away were plunged into darkness.

And the world beyond the walls of the Megalopolis was clad in a sea of black. Res gave her condolences to those who lived beyond. Usually, it was those exiled by an Atelier for heinous crimes, or people who failed to return before dusk, leaving them to the mercy of the Dungeon monsters who roamed the lands of Brandar and Emivta at night.

While drowned in these thoughts, the sound of an opening door drew all eyes to the front.

“Routine checking~ It’s fine, you can all ignore me. I’m just passing by.” A man dressed in a fine, dark blue suit said as they entered through a pair of sliding doors.

He was dressed sharply. Very sharply. His presentation was second to none, and his black hair was slicked back with shiny gel. Held in a white-gloved hand was a pitch-black orb that bended light at its whims.

That was the train’s core; the very heart of the train that controlled all its functions. It was a product of the Gravity Engine, the technology of Caldera Industries. As its name implied; it allowed for the manipulation of gravity…

… And it was the reason why the Nexus floated in the first place.

The train did not move because it was accelerating. No. It moved because it was falling while it was simultaneously anchored paralleled to the steel railings. Just another phenomenon of the Beholder’s technologies.

This man was this train’s conductor. His orange eyes instantly lit up when he saw their faces.

“Oh. It’s the ones those string maniacs call the Jesters. Cer, Ber, Res – fancy meeting you aboard my train. Rare to see you… grounded here of all places. Punished again by the Beholders, I take?”

“Why does everyone assume we’re always being punished?” Cer snapped. “You can’t talk yourself. Working 15 years straight day in and day out sounds like a punishment to me.”

The man approached them, laughing at Cer’s interpretation of his passionate work.

“At least it lets my family live freely under the protection of the Golden Index~” He hummed.

Waddling behind him was a pale-haired woman, who peered over her shoulder innocently at whoever these… troublemakers were. At least that’s how Res interpreted it.

“A healer? Oi… what did you do to get this girl?” Ber accused him, raising a curious brow. “I get this is the City of Hearts, but you can’t have a healer as an escor – O-Ouch!”

Res silently stomped on Ber’s foot.

“A-Ah… He didn’t do anything. I’m just here to help out, is all. Um… you don’t need healing? You’re not hurt?” The incredibly timid woman was exposed as soon as the man stepped aside to allow her to explain the situation.

How heartless. Surely not as heartless as him if she has one of ‘those’…

Cer, Ber and Res didn’t look to her face, body, or anything in that instant. Rather, all eyes immediately fell to her hand. As expected, she didn’t have one of Inflow Direct’s sinister claws containing the Serums.

She was not like one of those 12 Wingless Doves, to their immense relief. They simultaneously sighed, causing the man to chuckle as the healer looked on with confusion, blankly blinking before inspecting herself like a cute animal.

This was a healer. A proper healer that used their magic rather than the Serums, although, she did actually possess quite a few on hand. Along her waist was a belt containing certain vials of fluids. These were there to substitute the healing magic she did not yet possess.

The vials were essentially an indicator of a healer’s capabilities. The less they had, the better they were. And with healers being healers, they were always truthful and never discarded anything to make themselves appear stronger. They had no pride. Only a commitment to help others… unlike a certain 12 that Wandered Elysia with their Wayfarer.

Again, all eyes fell onto her waist.

No golden fluid… and not even the white one. What a good girl.

“That’s a good girl.”

“Good healer.”

The other two blurted out what she internally mumbled.

Suffice to say, this only further confused the healer.

“I-Is there… something on my face?”

249