161. A Moon and the Celestial Rock
1.9k 8 82
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Frost touched her hair, her face, nose – Everything. She became conscious of the fact that things may go down with Jury, and she wanted to make sure that there wasn’t a single bit of filth on her.

All her attempts at patting down her cowlicks were futile. Her hair was messy as always, but she kind of liked it.

“Your heart is beating uncontrollably.”

You know exactly why.

“I do. Jury is also getting ready. Muster up the man in you.”

What a funny thing to say. I’m trying my best. Haaah. Some guy I am.

Frost looked down at herself.

I’ve never really explored this body properly. I know it’s mine. But it’s a bit nerve wracking. I’d call it imposter syndrome, but that’s not it.

“Do you miss your old body?”

A bit. But I don’t mind this body either. Jury accepted me. So did the others.

“What about you? Them aside, have ‘you’ accepted it completely?”

… I want to say yes. But I don’t know myself. Sorry. It must be weird hearing this. I’ve never had a problem before but now that we’re not fighting it’s all starting to seep in.

Frost drew circles in the water with her feet. She was uneasy, but happy. The lake perfectly captured how she felt. As calm as it seemed, there were tiny ripples running along it. She cast her gaze up to the Nexus and the Moon, pondering on her circumstance.

Then, she was approached by someone.

“What’s up with you? I thought you and Jury were getting on with it.” Cer spoke, standing right beside her. “I’m kidding. Kidding… Hey… Mind if I join you?”

“In our room?” Frost joked.

“Here obviously!” Cer laughed, plopping herself right down as her legs sunk into the lake, creating a large splash.

When it all subsided Frost’s gaze returned to the surface of the lake, staring down at Cer and herself.

Cer didn’t immediately speak. Neither did Frost. She waited for Cer to speak her mind, but the wolfwoman only gazed out into the distance. She then drew them down, staring at Frost through her reflection.

Her eyes softened and her lips parted.

“… Did I ever tell you thanks?” Cer whispered.

“I don’t remember.” Frost replied honestly, causing the woman to wag her head left and right.

“I probably didn’t, huh. Well… Thanks. For everything. I’m not kidding. I’m not trying to be obnoxious or funny. Not tonight. I never thought I’d get to see Res and Ber… go back to being themselves. I can’t think of anyone else to thank besides you.” She spoke from the bottom of her heart with a quiet, mature voice.

The Cer that sat beside her wasn’t the Jester whose life was a walking laughingstock. She felt that the reflection she saw in the water was a piece of the real Cer. The woman didn’t hold out her chest or try to prove anything. She just sat there, her feet perfectly still and submerged in the lake.

“I couldn’t be happier. Res was hurt when you were separated. I can’t imagine the kind of bond you three have… Hm. Hey, do you think Galia and Marionette should also be thanked? They’re the ones who sent you on this mission in the first place.”

“I can. But I’m not about to kick my pride off its high stool. It doesn’t change that Res opened up to you, and Ber’s getting back in touch with herself. As their eldest sister, and I really mean that… To me, there’s no greater happiness than to see them smiling. Serum S changed us. We like to think that. But really it was everything before, and after.”

Cer unraveled, gazing upon the moon which hovered just above her reflection.

“Galia… and Marionette are good people. But good intentions are enough to pave a road straight to hell. They’re snakes for a good cause. I guess my problem is that I can’t see eye to eye with them. You’ll get along just fine as you are, even if you don’t agree with things. The Wandering Healers are one of them.”

She spoke softly, unable to keep her eyes fixated on the Nexus for long.

“But this isn’t about them. It’s about us. My sisters. So thanks again.” Her ears playfully moved; her tail lying flat behind them. Cer closed her eyes. She didn’t want to open them. In that split second Frost could have sworn she saw them glisten.

And so, Frost carefully placed a warm hand onto Cer’s head. Her ears parted, and her tail gently slithered like an excited snake.

“… I think I should also be telling you thanks. The life of a Moon isn’t easy. You once told me that you hated life beneath the Nexus, but I don’t think that’s true.” Frost began, watching Cer’s hands curl up. “Being a Moon is a thankless job. So let me thank you… on behalf of everyone you’ve saved in the last 30 years.”

“Shut up… Frost… I’m begging you. Please shut up.” Cer trembled, clasping onto Frost’s hand for dear life.

“Well done, Cer. Because of you the world’s already a much better place.” Frost drew her in for a hug.

“… But what about us? Why are we so disposable?” Her voice was muffled. “Do you know how hard we tried? All our friends are dead. The healers we loved are shells of their former selves. Our brother won’t talk to us anymore… And our mother… She’s already…” Cer didn’t allow herself to cry, no matter how impossible it seemed.

Cer indulged in Frost’s warmth, remaining like this for some time underneath the moonlight. Just as Carpalis relinquished Frost with her words of acknowledgement, she did the same for her friend.

Before long, Cer calmed down without shedding a single tear. She was strong. Unbelievably so. She had seen horrors that Frost couldn’t dream of imagining and faced living nightmares so that the world could sleep at night.

They did this so there would never be an eternal night.

And if there was, then the world could sleep easily knowing that there were still moons in their night sky, desperately trying to shed their light in their dark world.

Cer further apologized for throwing Frost into the wolf’s den unprepared. They were unfit to be Receptionists, hence why they did so poorly in their induction with Frost. But Frost had already forgiven them, so there was no point in lamenting the past.

Various topics appeared in their conversation as Cer composed herself, and eventually began laughing again. Then, she asked Frost about her old world if there were any Demi-humans.

“No. But even in our world people thought of others as lesser than themselves… Even though were all aren’t that different. We both see the same sky, after all. Conflict is universal. It’s sad when you think about it. But I’m sure there’ll be plenty of people lining up to greet you if you ever came to Earth.”

“Me? How come?” Cer asked with optimism.

“Well… let’s just say there’s a lot of material of girls like you.”

“So they’re not so different from Grandis scum. No offense.” Her face soured.

“No. Er… Actually… Maybe you’re right.” Frost surrendered with a small sigh, causing Cer to chuckle as she snuggled close to Frost one last time.

“I want things to stay like this. When our 4 months period is over, we’ll be sent out again. Frost. I gotta swallow my over-bloated pride. So I can ask you something that I wouldn’t ever dare to ask the Beholders.”

Cer stood up, gazing down at Frost sincerely.

qT1HLzr.png

“Can we have a little more freedom? I still… can’t tear myself away from being a Moon. But I also want to live like a person.”

How could Frost say no? As the Amalgam, she planned to reform the Nexus in whatever way she could. The Moons suffered despite the immense strength they possessed. In a way, being a Moon dehumanized them. They became weapons more than anything else.

Frost nodded, then looked up at the Nexus, watching the moon float past it, as if breaking orbit.

“Yeah. You ran away from being enslaved. But being a Moon must not be so different.”

“I’m proud of being a Moon. But I… just… after seeing my sisters return, I don’t think we can go back to the way things were.” Cer admitted.

“Then leave it to me.” Frost assured, rising to her feet. “In less than 2 months things will drastically change. I’ll ensure it’s all for the better.”

“And we’ll make sure you’re alright. Wouldn’t want you to break down and become something worse than the Wandering Healers.” Cer said, punching Frost playfully in the arm, right before she turned on her heels and ventured off. “Have fun with your future wife! Heh. Be glad our room isn’t right beside yours.”

“Haha. There’s the Cer I know. You’re back again.” Frost laughed, causing the woman to flash her with one of the most beautiful smiles she had ever seen.

“Always been here.”

Cer disappeared into the town. She didn’t know if Cer was going to spend the night in their allocated room or explore Wharftow. Did it matter? Not at all. She was happy that this amount of freedom was enough to move Cer’s heart.

And now, Frost needed to prepare hers.

She couldn’t keep Jury waiting any longer.

82