Chapter 5
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Awaking with a fresh mind the next morning, Zye decides one thing and one thing only. He wants to leave this area. The memories in the apartment are bad enough. In a pair of worn-out sneakers, jeans ripped at the knees, and a green tank-top later he’s packing up the rest of his things.

It’s not hard considering he doesn’t have much. There was no time considering how hard he was working. The little things he does have are easy to settle in around various clothes. Of which, he begins throwing older clothes into a garbage bag.

The only thing he doesn’t want to do is go into Lyra’s room. Despite that, he knows he has to sometime and the little he’s already done won’t cut it. It takes quite a bit to even open the door to her room much less step inside of it. His hand stills on the doorknob, gently rocking it on the hinges.

Each movement has the coin dangling from his wrist swaying. An already comfortable weight on his wrist. It acts like the pendulum swinging back and forth between his thoughts. To go in or to not. He knows she doesn’t have many things that were sentimental to her— not a lot he’d keep.

Yet that thought alone has his gut-wrenching. He could vomit right then and there. That all that’ll be left is an armful of things. Nothing more.

Zye pinches his eyes shut before finally releasing the doorknob. His fingers were starting to hurt from how hard he was gripping it anyway. Each step further into the room is agonizing so he starts small.

The bathroom and bedding are easy projects compared to the rest of her things. There are only a couple blankets he wishes to keep. Not that they’re even in the room, they’re ones he’s already touted to his room after admitting her into the hospital. The memory of that day tries to keep up but he squashes it down.

Seeing her lying on the floor helpless and unconscious probably took a good ten years off his life.

Zye sits on the naked bed, the sheets having been stripped off and thrown in a bag, and sighs. His gaze sweeps the room. It’s hard to deny the fact that he’s already begun to take the things he wants from here. Everything from the scarce jewelry she got from his father to the little bit of paperwork she’s saved over the years.

“What a load of crap…” Falling backward, he bounces slightly as he lies there. The ceiling is just as cruel as the walls. Neither offer any comfort. “Shit…I hate this.”

The phone he has latched onto his belt loop buzzes. He wants to ignore it. Although he knows it won’t do any good either. There are only two people it could be and both will bust their way into the apartment. Not that he wants to deal with anything at the moment.

Zye glares at the ceiling before shoving himself up. Grabbing the device and flicking the screen open. The little cord it’s attached to stretches out until he can’t tug it further. The transparent light seems to solidify as he flicks through the menus. A quick reply to Shae has him realizing he could get this over with today.

At least, most of it.

The screen vanishes, the device is snapped back to his waistband thanks to the cord, and Zye stands up. He has no desire to hurry. A knock to the door urges him nonetheless. “I’m coming, hold your horses.” Another few knocks echo throughout the otherwise silent apartment.

Zye opens the door and shakes his head at Shae. The blond grins and pockets his keys. “’Bout time. I got great news!” He lets himself in as Zye steps to the side then locks back up. “So I talked to Boss, told her what happened. She said you can take your time, we’ve got you covered till you want to get working.”

“Sooner rather than later. The drive is annoying.”

Shae shoves his hands into his pockets, rocking on his feet from heel to toe then vice versa. “Are you sure?”

“I’ve already started condensing and packing. If I work through it all day I can have most of it done.”

“Okay, so where did you leave off?”

Zye’s gaze cuts away. “I’m cleaning out Mom’s room. All the stuff I want to keep I’ve already packed up with some of mine. Everything else I thought I’d just give away.”

Shae yanks his hands out of his pockets then claps them together. “Got it! Leave it to me. Boxes or bags?”

“Bags, they’re in there already. There’s some bags you can put stuff in that can be given away with it all.”

The blond is already striding off to the hall. He gives a thumbs up over his shoulder. “Don’t worry. I got this.”

Zye watches him go. He can hear the rustles of movement and the sound of drawers opening. He tries to tune it out while occupying himself with another task. It’s not easy in any sense of the word. Within the first half-hour, he’s already got a headache pounding through his temples and between his eyes.

Regardless, over the next four hours, they work hard to get the apartment packed up. Lyra’s room is completely empty save for the sacks of clothes and such or the boxes of knick-knacks. His own room is taken care of and the kitchen is empty save for what’s in the fridge.

All that’s left to do is get rid of what’s in it, contact someone to pick everything up and get the hell out of here with what is going with him. The two men take the last load down to the truck. It’s full of a couple sacks of clothes, a few suitcases holding his more precious items, and a box of miscellaneous shoes and belts. The only thing he’s left in the apartment is what he doesn’t want to take.

Shae jostles the rear door closed and leans against it. “I’m glad you’re not me. I have so much more shit.”

“That’s because you have a problem, hoarder.”

“I don’t hoard! I collect.”

“Sure, whatever you say. I won’t push it since you’re the one driving.”

Zye is already heaving the passenger door open and climbing in when Shae remembers something. He grabs the door before Zye can close it, holding it so he can steady himself. “What about that box you left with that old man at the front?”

“It’s for a friend.”

“You left a friend all those games and stuff?”

“Yes?”

Shae raises a brow at this, clearly not convinced. “A friend you have fucked or haven’t?”

“Dear God, Shae. Of course, I haven’t! He’s a kid. Now get in the damn truck before I—” He glances over Shae’s shoulder just in time to see a familiar trail of green hair. He doesn’t warn Shae, it’d be too easy.

Two hands come up and clap onto Shae’s shoulders. “Hey there, Shae!”

“Ah!” Shae spins around, trying to keep the shout from turning into a high-pitched shriek. “Gah— Callua? Wh—What are you doing?! You can’t just sneak up on a guy like that!”

Callua can’t hold in her laughter. Her hands retreat from Shae to hold onto her stomach, doubling over as she succumbs to the giggling that shakes her frame. In the truck, Zye has his hand over his mouth and head turned to the side. He doesn’t want Shae to see him laughing. Not that he does, he’s too busy spinning around to glare daggers at Callua.

“Seriously! What’s wrong with you? I almost peed my damn pants!”

Zye snorts and wrestles the door free, letting it close. “Shae, you’re being loud.”

He spins back around to see Zye settling into the truck, one foot coming up to press against the glove box that hangs open. “Hey, hey, hey! Feet off, I don’t know where those shoes have been.”

“I can’t make it any dirtier. I don’t know where your truck has been.”

Callua, still chuckling to herself, comes back up behind Shae. She nudges against him— shoulder bumping against shoulder. “He’s got a point. It’s definitely not a carriage for a princess.”

Shae takes a deep breath to calm himself. Although the crimson searing over his cheeks tells a different story. “I’ll kill you both, don’t think I won’t.”

Zye relaxes in the worn seat, enjoying the breeze coming in through the open window. He’s glad Shae forgot to roll it up otherwise he’d have had to leave the door open. He drags a hand up through bangs that are starting to wilt against his forehead. “I can’t cook you dinner if I’m dead.”

“Fair point. But you—!” Shae spins around to face Callua. “—you are something else. Convince me not to kill you.”

Callua, now fully recovered from her laughing fit, gives a hum of thought. “Well…that’s a little more difficult.”

“Imagine that,” interjects Zye.

“Don’t make me climb through that window,” she replies with pursed lips. Callua then extends a hand to Shae. “I’ll buy us a fun night; drinks, food, and you pick the entertainment. I’m good at all kinds of games and horror movies are my favorite.”

Shae’s eyes light up at that. “Finally! Zye won’t watch them with me so you got a deal.”

They shake on it with stupid grins on their faces. The scene has Zye shaking his head and tapping the heel of a sneaker against the dash. “Dork one and two, break it up.”

Letting go of her hand, Shae jogs around to the other side of the truck and climbs in. It allows Callua to stride up to the door Zye leans against. His arm rests comfortably on the gap where the glass will come up from. The corners of her lips lift as she places her hands on his arm.

“Sorry I’m late though, was going to swing through earlier.”

“It’s fine. We got it all done anyway. Did you want to come with us?”

She gives a gentle shake of her head, sending the ponytail swinging behind her head. “No, no. I have to get to work. But next time for sure.”

“I’ll text you the address then. You’re always welcome.”

“Hey, Zye…man.” Shae leans over, he’s nearly sitting on the console between them. “That’s my line.” He cocks a smile at Callua. “You’re always welcome in our home.”

Zye rolls his eyes and pushes at Shae’s chest, forcing him back into the driver’s seat. Although it seems to do the trick seeing as Callua laughs. “You two are so stupid.” She leans forward through the open space and brings her face up against Zye’s, whispering into his ear. “And don’t worry, I’ll keep Daichi off your trail. Promise. Just let me handle this, okay?”

She pulls out and slaps her hand against the side of the truck. Except doing so makes her grimace. She wipes her hands together to try and get rid of the dirt streaking over her fingers. Even so, she gives a wave with the other a second later.

“Be safe! I’ll come see you two soon.”

Zye takes a moment, looking at her as she steps away so that Shae can turn the truck on and begin to pull out. It feels as though there’s a stone in his stomach and it’s sinking. While his shoulders feel lighter, he also feels sick. He’ll have to come back to finish up and get his bike.

However, for the most part, this section of his life is over. The future feels daunting and horrifying. He pulls himself away from the window as they leave Callua standing there— leaves the building in the distance. Settling into the seat, he worries the coin between his fingers.

Somehow the smoothness calms his nerves. Somehow it has him able to allow the inner storm to die down until another time. He tries with all of his being to listen to what Shae prattles off; who is new working at Ruby’s Light, who is still there, how they can work their schedules to match.

To be honest, he doesn’t remember a word that’s said. He’s just grateful when they get to their destination. His new home. It’s a daunting thought. Even more so after they’ve moved all of his things from the truck to his bedroom. It’s plain as can be but at least it has furniture in it already. That and a soft mattress. He can’t complain.

Zye drops the last bag onto the bed while Shae lingers in the doorway. The blond rubs at the back of his neck. He’s never been good with this type of stuff. He does all he knows and that’s stride right up behind his friend. He slaps a hand to the middle of his back. “Welcome home, buddy.”

“Y—Yeah. Thanks, Shae.”

“So, since you’re with me there’s one thing you need to know.” Their eyes meet and Zye notices the serious drop in tone. “Any time, night or day, you feel like you’re gonna lose it, my door is always open.”

It’s touching. It means more than he’ll ever admit. Admitting would let him take that offer right then and there. How he wishes he could drive back to the hospital and crawl up onto the hospital bed with Lyra. The ache of loss is far too deep. He can barely keep it at bay.

Zye rolls his eyes. “Of course it is. I’ve seen the company you keep.”

Shae jabs his elbow into Zye’s side. “Yeah, yeah, yeah. We both know you’d love to be in there too.”

“Not my type,” he replies with a sharp scoff.

“Eh? Come on. Don’t know ‘till you try it right?” Their eyes meet and the laughter rolls out with ease. The chuckles die back down as Shae turns around, making for the door. “Tell ya what, I’ll order whatever you want while I get ready for work. I’ll even pay for delivery.”

Zye waves him off as he sits onto the bed with enough force to make the bag on it jostle. “Nah, it’s fine. I’m just going to unpack. If I get hungry I’ll just raid your fridge.”

“Fine, don’t take the hospitality. Like I care.” Shae feigns hurt as he begins to leave the room. Just before he does he stops when Zye calls out to him.

“Hey, is that hole in the wall patched?”

“Ha! Funny joke. You know they’re too cheap to patch it when us scum live out here.” Shae glances over his shoulder. “But if you go out there, leave a note just in case. It’s still rough around here because of all the drunk perverts.”

Zye shoos him away. “Alright, go get ready before you’re late. I won’t let you blame it on me.”

“I will anyway!” Shae shouts as he goes down the hall to his room.

For a moment he just sits there listening to the sounds of the place. Part of him knows very well he’s not going to sleep tonight. He’s going to be jolting awake at every possible noise. To deter from that, he begins to unpack. Zye starts with getting sheets out and dressing the bed. Clothes and other such things follow.

In fact, it doesn’t take him too long. It’s only a couple hours after Shae goes by to announce he’s leaving that Zye collapses on the couch out in the living room. A cup of water is clutched between his hands as he stares at the blank screen. There’s no need for television or any noise. The house does enough of that. Thankfully, the people upstairs don’t have lead feet and are generally quiet.

There’s not much he expects while sitting there. A knock on the door? That’s definitely not one of them. A second one comes then there’s silence. If Zye’s honest with himself, he wants to pretend no one is home despite knowing full well that the light is seeping out around the curtains in the front window.

His phone trills next. He doesn’t take it as a coincidence nor does he bother checking it. The cup thuds against the coffee table on his way to the door. Both locks flipped, he opens the door and immediately regrets it.

Standing there is Xerxes.

The boy is the picture of worry and fear and concern. He looks like a cat desperately trying to find its way home in the rain. It doesn’t help that he shifts nervously on the doorstep. At least the sight of Zye has him calming down. A smile even lifts the frown out of existence.

“Z—Zye! I…I saw the note you left. I know you said not to but I just…I got a ride here before Aisa gets home so I could see you.”

He can only stare down at the boy. Those blue eyes are so pure and innocent. There’s not a shred of malice in them. He wants to protect those eyes, doesn’t want them to darken or dull from the darkness he has floating around him. Zye knows his death will crush Xerxes, knows it’s coming sooner rather than later.

Despite what Callua has said, he agrees with Aisa. He can’t do any good here. He wants Xerxes to indulge in life and fill the hole he’ll leave with experiences and friends. Zye takes a breath, stands still, and tries to get his bearings. He can’t let Xerxes in— he already doesn’t want to do this.

“You know you shouldn’t have done that. It’s dangerous out here.”

“It’s not any better at home…”

Zye lifts a hand, bracing it against the door frame. “Look, Xerxes. You read the note. I told you we could still talk. I just—”

Xerxes shakes his head. “I don’t agree with it though. I should…I should get a say in this.”

“I know, I do. But Aisa is right. You shouldn’t be around me. Ain’t it weird hanging around with me anyway?”

“No.”

A sigh slips out of Zye. “Come on, I’m trying to help you here. You’re better off going out and finishing school. Go make some friends, find some cool job you’re really good at, and get a girlfriend. Leave this old freak to himself.”

“You’re not old.”

“You know what I mean, kid.”

“I’m not a kid.” Xerxes shifts his weight and tugs his hands from the pockets of his khakis. “I don’t care what my sister thinks. You’re my friend and you…you need friends, too.”

“You’re killing me here.” Zye leans away from the door frame, encourages Xerxes to take a step back, and Xerxes does. It allows Zye to exit the house and let the door almost shut behind him. “Xerxes, you’re a smart guy. There’s nothing good coming for me. I mean, I’ll still keep in touch. Just focus on yourself right now, okay?”

Xerxes still isn’t convinced. He lifts his gaze to hold Zye’s, the longest time he’s ever looked the taller man in the eye. In fact, it’s probably the longest he’s ever looked someone in the eye period. “I…we’re still friends though?”

“Best friends. Friends that know when to let go a little bit so the other one can grow.”

“You promise you’ll come see me when I graduate?”

“All you have to do is give me the date and time, I’ll be there.”

The blue-haired boy rocks on his heels. “Okay…” He really doesn’t like it. He wishes things didn’t have to change. Yet things are spiraling out of control before he can stop them. Xerxes can only exhale. “Aisa got the job so…we’ll be moving.”

“That’s great news.”

Xerxes is hurt at that even if Zye meant it only at the mention of her job. He reaches out toward Zye. The latter thinks Xerxes is looking for a handshake. It’s odd, but not for Xerxes. He’s used to the little quirks. Their hands meet as Zye glances at his hip where his phone should be.

“I can call you a car—” His eyes widen as Xerxes lunges forward. Slender arms wrap around him in a tight hug. Xerxes clings onto Zye with his face nuzzling against him. “—Xerxes…”

The soft tone doesn’t stop Xerxes. It doesn’t calm him either. The hug is a vice grip until a hand settles on his head. Zye gives his head a pat while letting his other arm hug around the teenager. Once Xerxes tugs away, a smile and a blush on his countenance, his mood has shifted.

“I’ll let you know how it goes.”

Zye chuckles, “Yeah, I expect a lot of texts. If you need help with that homework you can ask but try to manage okay? I got a job, ya know?”

He sticks his tongue out at Xerxes and it has the boy fumbling. Xerxes laughs, the noise a soft melodic sound that has Zye almost regretting his decision. Then again, if Aisa is moving them then he doesn’t get much of a say. Fate has a funny way of stringing things along after all. There’s only one thing that’s distracting from it and it’s a sudden pain at the back of his head.

“I got my ride to wait so I’ll be alright. Please ask Callua for help if you need it, okay?”

“Uh-huh, sure.”

“Zye?”

“I promise I’ll ask for help. Now get going before your ride decides not to wait.”

Zye gives a wave, watching until Xerxes has climbed into the car and left. He turns to head back inside only to stop. He braces himself against the door as the light hits his face. He can feel it. He can see it.

At least, he can see some of it.

The corners of his eyes are dark. There’s no such thing as a peripheral at the moment. The growing surge of black coming into the center of his gaze is worrying. It has panic surging through him and he doesn’t know what to do. Stumbling back into the house, Zye thinks he kicks the door shut but he can barely hear it over the pounding in his ears.

He can only try and hopes it closes as he gets inside. He’s attempting not to freak out no matter how bad he wants to cry out for help. Ironically the very thing he promised Xerxes he would do. Except, there’s no one to call for. He’s alone in a house he doesn’t even know the layout of.

A few steps in, he tries to recall the layout of the living area. It proves incorrect as the side of his leg smacks against the corner of the coffee table. He grits his teeth, hissing through the red hot pain arching through his leg. A mumbled curse barely makes it out as he hits the ground.

“Damn…damn…where the hell is it?”

He feels his way along the coffee table. His hand bumps up against his cup and it tells him he’s close. Zye does his best not to knock it over as he reaches the couch with his other hand flailing about, happy to grab onto fabric. Just as his hand hits the cushion, he can see.

Except it’s not what he should be seeing.

They’re flashes of something— they can’t be memories.

The first is a large room bathed in brilliant, yellow-white light. Dark curtains glimmer as they shift behind someone who had just stepped beyond them. It’s a gorgeous room nonetheless. The walls are a peach color with black swirls crawling up from the bottom where the wall meets dark gray tile, nearly black.

There’s so little to it that Zye can barely even focus on this scene that blinds him. For a moment he thinks there’s something or someone on the bed off in the corner of his vision. Yet he can’t turn to it fast enough. He can only wince as another image burns into life before him.

This one is so much brighter and saturated. The glare of the morning sun has him visibly wincing against the couch. Trying to look away from it grants him the view of a young man with the most gorgeous smile he’s ever seen. It’s a smile that reflects in his yellow-green eyes as well. Everything about him seems so pure and honest.

He’s beautiful.

The man leans a little closer. “You should smile more. The world isn’t so bad.”

Those words resound in his mind followed by the shrill white noise dulling out everything else. He doesn’t get a chance to think about what he’s seen. Not that any of it makes sense. He has no idea what that place is or who this guy is. All he knows is his world has gone completely black as the visage fades away.

“Really? Leaving the door open. What is wrong with— Zye!” Shae, returning to see something amiss, runs inside the second he sees his friend on the ground. “What the hell is wrong? Tell me what’s going on.”

Zye swallows past the growing fear. Each time he closes his eyes and opens them it gets a little scarier. The sight isn’t coming back and he’s praying with every fiber of his being that he doesn’t lose it. He can’t lose his eyes this soon— it wouldn’t make sense regardless of his generation.

“I…I don’t know. I can’t see.”

He decides not to tell Shae about the visions. As far as he knows they didn’t happen either. Thinking about them won’t help. Not when he can’t even tell where the hell he is. Shae bends down behind Zye, coaxing him to his feet.

“You can still stand, right?”

“Y—Yeah.”

Zye leans on Shae, allowing the blond to help him to the couch. The second Shae is standing up is when Zye is frantically blinking. It doesn’t happen all at once. Just little blurs of color and light beginning to take shape. He lifts his hand, waving it in front of his face. Seeing his own fingers brings more relief than he can describe.

“Can you see again?”

“I guess… it’s still a little blurry.” Zye looks up at Shae. He’s still a bit irritated that there’s no sharpness to what he sees. It’s too fuzzy. At least he can make things out though. “Why are you back early?”

“Oh! I forgot a pair of pants I needed tonight.”

“Ah…A pair of pants?”

“Look, the lady has specific tastes and I’m not going to question it.”

“Whatever you say.” Zye stands, hand keeping hold of the arm of the couch. He idles a moment until Shae returns to the living room. “I’m just going to lay down. Sleep probably.”

Shae rolls his eyes. “You promise? ‘Cause I’ve heard that before.”

“I’m not ten anymore.”

“Like that’d stop you?”

Walking behind him, Shae doesn’t dare leave until Zye has crawled into the bed. He grabs at the blanket and throws it over Zye. Shae raises a brow, “Want me to tuck you in and give you a kiss goodnight while I’m at it?”

“I’ll kill you if you touch me.” Zye wrinkles his nose. “Especially while you smell like perfume and incense.”

Shae lets out a bold laugh as he turns on his heel. “Sleep well, I’ll probably be home late. But I’ll bring you your phone before I go.”

So, Zye lies there. He watches Shae walk out, return with his phone, and then vanish off to work all over again. Zye’s almost afraid to close his eyes. Blinking has him uneasy as it is. He’s just afraid the sight will go out again like a blown light bulb. Instead, he tries to focus on what he saw while he couldn’t.

Those images were so strange and foreign.

Neither made any sense and it boggles his mind until sleep manages to grab hold of him.

________________________

The next morning finds Zye heading back to his apartment to finish up on his own. He left Shae sleeping since he worked into the wee hours of the morning. A quick, paid ride is all he needs anyway so he can bring his bike back. It hasn’t taken him very long. It helps that he feels a lot better today than yesterday.

Entering the complex, he’s not surprised to find Mr. J sitting at the counter. The older man gives him a solemn nod. “I got your message.”

Zye stops on the other side. He keeps his hands sheathed in his pockets as he meets the man’s gaze. “Sorry about the short notice.”

“Seriously? You paid for the rest of the month and next, I can’t complain. Besides, there’s plenty of people looking for housing ‘round these parts.”

“I just have one last bag of stuff to grab—”

“You can leave everything else there. I’ll take care of it.”

Zye raises a brow at this. “Are you sure?”

“Of course. I got people that can take care of everything else. All you gotta do is get your stuff and get movin’.”

He takes a step away from the counter as Mr. J slides off his stool. The elder man begins shuffling through papers inside of the counter’s drawers. It’s a sign for Zye to put more distance between them. “I did want to thank you, though.”

Mr. J lifts his head, looking at Zye from under the brim of his musty-green cap.

“I mean it.” Zye shifts from one foot to the other. “We wouldn’t have made it very far without you.”

“Ah shush it. You make me sound nice. I was just doing a favor for Kass, don’t put more thought into it.” Mr. J gives a laugh as he moves out from behind the counter and over to Zye. His volume drops a bit, keeping the conversation between them just in case anyone walks through. He claps a hand to Zye’s shoulder. “Take care of yourself. Be safe and stop pickin’ fights.”

Zye snorts and pulls away, surprised that Mr. J touched him. “I don’t start them, I finish them.”

“It’s still a fight! Remember to watch your thumb when you punch. Like I showed ya.”

“Yeah, yeah I know. If you need any help with something, call me. I don’t mind.”

“Thanks, kiddo. Now hurry up I’m sure ya got things to do. Just leave the key on the counter.”

A curt wave over his shoulder and Zye is going for the stairs. He makes his way up through the stairwell and to his room. It’s a quick job that he’s hoping will be uneventful. It’s why he’s timed it so that Xerxes will be at school. He slips into the apartment, grabs his last bag of clothes, and leaves the key on the kitchen counter.

It all takes less than a few minutes to be back out into the hall and locking up behind himself. Just as he tugs the door shut one final time, he hears the click of heels on the floor behind him. They don’t stop until they’re past him, idling there as she doesn’t want to turn around to face him.

Zye peeks at Aisa from the corner of his eye. He doesn’t want to give her a chance, yet he does. After a moment she lets out a sigh. “I’m sorry to hear about your mother.” There’s a small pause. “And I’m sorry if what I said hurt you. But I also hope you understand. Please continue to stay away from Xerxes.”

The metal is cold against his palm. He tugs away from the door to shove his hands back in his pockets. The bag on his shoulder is heavy and the keyring he wraps his fingers around bites into his skin. It tells him all he needs to know— Xerxes hasn’t said a word about seeing him. It’s for the best if it’ll keep Aisa off his case about it.

“Then you’ll be ecstatic to know I’m moving.”

At that, she partially turns with surprise written across her face. Zye moves for the stairs while keeping his back to her.

“You should trust him more, he’s not a bad kid. In fact, you could probably learn something about being nice from him.”

She goes to move toward him as he takes that first step down. “Zye—I, you know I’m only doing it to protect him. It’s got nothing to do with you personally.”

“It sure feels like it.” The reply is accompanied by a glance over his shoulder, one that’s fleeting and far too much even then. “Goodbye and good luck, Aisa.”

The rest of the stairs can’t come fast enough. She doesn’t make to follow and he’s happy for that. Not that he thinks she ever will run after him. Even the apology is leaving a sour taste in his mouth. It makes it easier to slip out the back exit once he’s dropped off the key and climb onto his motorcycle.

Far easier to be done with that part of his life.

________________________

Since the night he had that episode, he hasn’t had any further issues. It’s as if it never happened in the first place. Which is fine by Zye since he started working the next day. The eagerness to get back to doing something consistent isn’t something he expected. However, he’s grateful for it. It eases his thoughts to some degree.

That and spending his breaks being around Kass. She helps the grieving process if anything. The little bit of time they’ve spent together in the last few days has been a blessing to him. He didn’t dare tell her about his tiny episode either. He doesn’t want to worry her after losing Lyra. Not when he thinks he’s fine.

Maybe just a reaction? Stress perhaps?

Regardless, he has the night off after taking the morning shift. He lounges on the couch until he hears the familiar chime that is Callua’s message. Zye retrieves the phone, double checks that she’s on her way, and hauls himself up off the couch. A groan slips from his lips as he heads for the door.

“Here’s to hoping she doesn’t get lost.”

He steps outside under the porch light and the moths buzzing around it. Yet the sound they make is nothing compared to the shout a couple houses down, just there before the bend. From the distance, he can make out a few figures. From what he can see it has to be two or three men if the vehicle idling at the street is anything to go by.

The bright, white light spills across the sidewalk and up the yard. It casts shadows across everyone but the woman waving her arm at the men. It has one of them pulling out something that glints in the light. It immediately sets off warning bells for Zye. He knows what to look for in situations like that.

Sandals slap against the sidewalk as he jogs to the scene breaking out. “Everything alright?” he calls out as he gets closer.

The men are easier to make out once he’s a bit off to the side yet between them and her. She gives him a glance, lips already beginning to part, when one of the men speaks up. He’s got a cigarette between his teeth. “None of your business, buddy.”

“It is now that I’m your buddy.”

A sneer is shot back at him. “Hope that smart ass of yours can take a hit since you can’t take the hint.” The man jabs a finger in the woman’s direction as Zye moves near her. “Take it you know this whore?”

“I know her yeah. Nice lady, unlike you.” Zye doesn’t step in front of her, only to the side of her and a smidgen closer to the men. “Glad you got your lights on so I can get a good look at your ugly ass face.”

“Eh!?” The man flicks the cigarette onto the grass. White, bleached hair sways about his forehead as he shakes his head. “The hell is wrong with you? Looking for me to kick your ass that bad?”

The one behind him, with the shaved sides of his head and tuft of crimson on top, shoulders past who must be the leader. Zye eyes the knife in the redhead’s hand. He’s not flaunting it— certainly not hiding it either. His deep voice pierces the air. “Go home, this doesn’t concern you.”

Zye chooses to ignore them all, including the man leaning against the steering wheel of the car. His eyes meet with the woman’s and he recognizes her instantly. Shae introduced him to her the other day. A fierce woman around his age with enough bite to back up her bark. While she’s not a Chroma, she’s nothing but kind to those she works with.

“Need some help with these freaks or are you okay?”

“Trying to play the knight in shining armor?” she scoffs at him. Brown eyes try to get a message to him without having to say a word. One that he hears loud and clear.

Zye shrugs. “Just wanted to know what the commotion was. My job doesn’t end when I get home.”

“Oh? That’s nice to know. Maybe I’ll have you walk me home next time,” replies the woman while flicking dark braids over her shoulder.

A sly smile crosses his countenance. “It’d be my pleasure.”

They both know the conversation and the fact they’re ignoring these men is only pissing them off more. Accelerated by the fact that Zye turns his back to them. As if to say he’s not intimidated and doesn’t care in the slightest.

“The hell is wrong with you two? Hey, Ro, get him out of my way. This whore owes me time or my money back and I’m gonna get it.”

Years of living on the edge make it easy. He can feel the presence and see the shadow. Zye steps to the side, missing the stab of the knife. His palm knocks against the man’s arm, continuing his momentum toward the woman. Of which, she pulls her arm back and delivers a punch to his face.

Zye spins around and stomps his foot onto the cigarette trying to burn through the grass. He twists his shoe against it until he’s sure he’s put it out. All the while he’s towering over their so-called leader. He lets him get a good look at the purple-blue eyes as he glares at him, all without touching him.

“I don’t think she owes you shit. Now that I’ve seen your face, you’d better stay out of this area and away from Ruby’s Light. Got it?”

Dark green eyes widen, staring up at Zye while trying to gauge the situation. The man doesn’t believe he can win now. The intimidation has checked his ego and he’s lost. He makes to move back with a voice that wavers. “C—Come on guys, this bitch isn’t worth it.”

The leader spins around and hurries to the car. The engine whines as it’s revved followed by the passenger door slamming shut. The third man is picking himself up, the knife left on the ground from where he dropped it. The woman keeps her eye on him.

Even she can’t stop him in time.

Zye is just turning around when the man’s knuckles catch him on the jaw. His reactions, however, aren’t stale. He stumbles back one step before returning the action in kind. The man’s already bloodied nose gives a sickening crack as Zye’s fist connects.

The man reels back, hands clapping against his face. Fingers are staining with the blood dribbling out of his nose and busted lip. The leader leans out of the car, “Dammit, let’s go already!” It finally has him glaring at both before rushing to the vehicle and climbing in.

They pull out, the lights sweeping from grass to street, and are off the next second. It finally leaves them alone with the woman stretching out her hand to Zye. She gives him a half-cocked smile. “Thanks for the help. Name’s Sara.”

“Zye,” he replies with a clasp of his hand to hers.

A brief shake and she pulls away, hands settling on her hips. It’s only then that he truly gets a good look at her and her silhouette outlined in the dull porch light from the house further back. She’s almost as tall as he is and looks as though she could probably lay him flat if he dared provoke her.

“Oh right, you’re the new guy. Not bad, by the way, for being in sandals.”

“Stripper boots aren’t really my thing.”

She practically howls with laughter at that considering that’s what she’s wearing. “Aren’t you something? At least you can walk the walk though.”

“I don’t know. I thought your punch was better.”

“Hah! It was, thank you for noticing. Was nice to have some help for a change.”

There are hurried footfalls that draw Zye’s attention. The light slap against his shoulder even more so. He glares over at Callua and the fierce orange gaze that bores into him. “Cal? That hurt, what’s wrong with you?”

She shifts into a smile toward Sara before turning back to Zye with a glare. “Me? What about you? I got here just in time to see that guy deck you!”

“I’m fine.” He nods to Sara. “See you around. If you need anything I’m just down there.”

“Thanks again. Hope it doesn’t bruise up too bad on you.”

Zye allows Callua to grab his arm and begin tugging him away. The entire time she’s rambling about what an idiot he is; rushing into things is stupid, not watching his back is worse, and playing it cool is irritating. When she finally lets him go they’re standing out in front of the house with the porch light kicking back on.

“It’s fine, really, Cal.”

She huffs up at him before pinching his side, earning an ‘ow’ from him. “I’m just glad you’re alright.”

His gaze lifts and he finally sees another person standing off to the side. Someone he’s never seen before and surely wasn’t here when he first came out. Bright silver eyes, dark brown hair held back by a yellow bandanna, and dashes of that same color beneath his eyes. A dot is between each dash, three in total.

Otherwise, he’s not much to look at. His clothing is simple and plain from the jeans cut off past his knees to the gray t-shirt hanging loosely off his frame. He doesn’t even glance over at Zye until Callua is tugging Zye over to him. She smiles at both in turn. “Zye, this is Jace. Jace, this is Zye.”

“Hello,” the deep reply rumbles out.

“’Ey,” replies Zye.

Callua rolls her eyes. She’s already regretting bringing Jace with her. “So, this is the guy I work with.”

Zye raises an eyebrow at this. “Oh? You mean the one you badmouth all the time?”

“W—What? No, I’d never say that about good ole Jace!” She doesn’t dare look at the exasperated look on Jace’s face. “Besides, it’s only when you ruin my day off. Swear.”

“Sure.”

Callua finally meets Jace’s gaze with a glare. He’s not making this easy in the slightest. She gestures to the house. “Well? Going to keep a lady outside all night or are you going to invite me in?”

“Like you weren’t going to invite yourself?”

The two of them go to make for the house only for Jace to stay rooted to where he stands. “I’ll wait out here.”

Callua turns her head and sticks her tongue out at Jace. Not that he responds. She grabs Zye’s arm and hurries them into the house. They’re just in the entryway with the door shut and shoes still on. She tilts her head up. “Sorry…about him. He’s bad about meeting new people. He’s a good guy. A workaholic but not bad, promise.”

“Ah, I see. ‘Bout time you found someone nice to settle down with.”

The grin is as bad as the words. The distaste that crosses her features is pure, visible discomfort. “Zye. Oh God no. Thank you but no. If you don’t want me to kill you, don’t ever say that again.”

Zye can’t help but chuckle as he grabs his phone. A quick check tells him that Shae is ready to come home. He’d be lying if he said he wasn’t worried about Shae. Then again, they’ve been picking each other up and walking back home since their shifts haven’t been aligning. “I’m gonna go get Shae if you don’t mind waiting.”

She hums to herself for a moment. It’s not that she doesn’t mind. She just has another idea. Hand on the door, she opens it back up. “Actually, I have a better plan. I’ll go get Shae while you get us some drinks.”

“Seriously? The last time we drank you ended up in my bed and drooled all over my pillow.”

“I did not drool.”

Zye rolls his eyes and follows her outside. He’s not against it, it’s just more fun to poke at her. Zye points over her shoulder between two houses across the street. “You can cut through between those two. From there just hit the road and follow it.”

“Oh Zye, I know where it is. I do my homework.”

They reach Jace where he’s remained on the sidewalk. He gives Callua a glance followed by a warning glare when she gives him a few pats to his back.

“Alright, big guy. Escort Zye to go get us some drinks and maybe I’ll let you join us.”

“I don’t—”

“Ah, ah, ah! It’s not always nice around here so consider this a favor. I’ll owe you one.” She then skips a couple of steps away from them, about to head across to the other side of the cul-de-sac. “And be nice to each other!”

For a moment they stand there watching her walk away. To say it’s not awkward would be a lie. So awkward that it has Zye unbelievably uncomfortable. He’ll have to remember to scold her for leaving him alone with this man later. They’ve only said one word to each other.

He shoves his hands into his pockets and walks around Jace, he’d rather hurry and get back. “I won’t tell her if you have something you need to do. If I get back first she won’t even know.”

What he doesn’t expect is for Jace to follow after him. He picks up his pace to stay next to Zye. “It’s fine, I can do it after. Lead the way.”

Zye does. It really isn’t a far trek. It’s through the back yard, between some bushes, and out into the back street. One more street over and he’ll have them at the small convenience store. The walk begins with an unnatural quiet between them. Neither quite wants to engage for their own reasons.

Then again as far as Zye’s concerned a friend of Callua’s can’t be all that bad.

“Have you worked with Cal for a while?”

Jace sighs, not even bothering to hide it. “Too long. She can be a handful.”

“I can imagine. Good head on her shoulders though.”

“She’s reliable except for when she refuses to come into work. But she’s a good partner to have.”

Getting to the street, those still wandering around at this time of night step away from them. It has Zye rolling his eyes as they get to the store. The door slides open with a group of people leaving. Perfect timing— there’s no one in there but the cashier. Zye turns his head to Jace.

“Going in or waiting?”

“I’ll wait.”

“Anything you want? My treat.”

Jace seems to debate that before shaking his head. “No, thank you though.”

Zye doesn’t wait a second longer. He hurries inside, finds a cheap pack of beer, and takes it to the counter. He’s in and out in less than two minutes. Considering his side is starting to throb, he’s happy about that much. Jace is right where he left him.

“Ready to go?”

“Yeah,” Zye replies while beginning to lead them back. “Been around this area before?”

Jace shakes his head. “No. I don’t get around much here. Work has kept me busy lately. Have you lived here long?”

“Yes and no.” Zye starts as they reach the end of the street, about to cross onto the back street once more. “I lived in the area when I was little. Fate brought me back.”

“Fate is funny like that.”

Zye chuckles at that, “It really is.”

Just as they’re about to leave all of the people behind them. Zye sees it. Someone is standing off to the side with her phone up close to her face. The soft, peach-colored light shines not just on her but the thing hovering over her shoulder. The black mist isn’t much different than others he’s seen.

As if it knows someone can see it, the mist shifts to where piercing blue eyes turn to him. He swallows hard when his gaze connects with it. The toe of one sandal stubs against his other heel and has him stumbling forward.

Jace grabs his shoulder and tries to steady him. The bottles jostle in their container as Zye rights himself. He takes a breath and chokes out a nervous laugh. “Thanks for that. Should watch where I’m going.”

“It’s pretty dark. Are you alright?”

Zye nods with his eyes taking one last furtive look at the mist. The woman is already moving and it follows after her. Jace notices the obvious distraction but says nothing. Instead, he pulls his hand back and they begin walking once more.

The silence is perfectly fine with Zye. He’s reeling from the fact that Jace didn’t make a big deal out of touching him. Then again, even if he does feel iffy towards Chroma, Callua would probably threaten him not to say a word about it. The short walk doesn’t let him consider it much more than that.

Returning to the front yard, Zye gets up onto the front porch and pushes the door open. He partially turns with the beer cradled against his chest. “You’re welcome to join any time.”

Their eyes meet and for a moment Zye can swear there’s a strange look crossing Jace’s face. It almost looks like it hurts Jace to turn away. But it’s not like him to ask questions either. It’s easier to let Jace take that first step from him.

“Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind. Tell her to not be late tomorrow.”

“Sure.” Zye watches him start to leave when he can’t help but blurt out. “Stay safe out there.”

What he doesn’t see is the slight smile that crosses Jace’s countenance. His back to Zye, he leaves without another word. Once he thinks he’s far enough away, he dips between two houses and lets out a heavy exhale. He hides from prying eyes with only the slightest concentration before jumping up onto the roof of the nearest house.

Running and hopping from roof to roof, he ends up at the front of the neighborhood. It takes him a few moments to locate both the power signature as well as the roof of the gym a block over. Jace skids to a stop atop it, sneakers keeping his traction, then strides up to the man standing at the edge.

A long, low ponytail sways behind him due to the wind. Golden anklets jingle around his left ankle as he turns to Jace. The single yellow eye sweeps up and down Jace’s form before he resumes looking down on the people below. The dark brown hair over his left eye does little to hide the grin on his face.

“Enjoying blending in with the people here?”

“Sorry I’m late, Hax.”

The man finds it far more amusing that Jace ignores him. He crosses his arms over his short, sleeveless shirt. The detached sleeve on his left arm crumples around his elbow as he does so. The other arm is left bare save for a series of dark gray markings. It starts with a circle on his shoulder followed by three rows of dots between two thick lines.

Below that are three thinner lines before another thick one that’s a vertical streak going from it to his wrist where another line goes around it. It ends with the vertical line dipping past just enough to connect to a smaller circle on the back of his hand. Of which, all the lines circle around his arm.

Jace glances at them as he stands beside Hax. “Wouldn’t Solis be an easier place to meet at?”

“No, no, no. There are too many eyes and ears there. Besides, I can’t do as I please without someone butting in. Tell me, any news?”

“No. Soren has failed to keep up his end of the bargain as you predicted.”

Hax chuckles as he sits down on the edge of the roof instead. Legs dangle over the side while the end of the scarlet sash around his waist pools in his lap. “It’s fine. I didn’t trust him to do it anyway. I have my own way of keeping my eyes on things. Far more trustworthy ways at that.”

“You asked me out here…what did you want to tell me? Is there something you need taken care of?”

“Nothing like that.” He sweeps his arm out, gesturing toward the city around them. “Do you miss this?”

“I don’t.”

The cruel laughter that follows is cold and loud to Jace’s ears. Nevertheless, he allows Hax to do so. “Of course, you don’t. How can one miss something if they don’t want to remember what they had?”

“Hax…”

He glances up at Jace from the corner of his eye. “You’ve served well. So well, in fact, that I’m giving you some time off. Your next assignment is going to be daunting and I need you at your best.”

“What is it?”

“Well, I can’t tell you that. It’d ruin the surprise.” Hax lets out a pleased hum. “If all goes according to plan, things will come to a head soon. For now, I need you to keep your eyes open and stay here. But go play with the locals. Have some fun.”

“If that’s what you want, sure.”

Hax finally tilts his head to catch Jace’s eyes. “Oh, and do me a favor. If you see Orion, let me know the coordinates immediately.”

1