Chapter 6
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nothing seems to be lining up for Zye these days. As much as he appreciates the work, having someone around is the real reason he’s done all this. Shae is the only rock he has at the moment. Although, it does help that Callua has been showing up more this past week. Usually, she brings him, too.

Perhaps that’s why Zye isn’t at all shocked when he opens the door. He steps out of his shoes at the entrance. The delay helps him take note of the other shoes there. To be more specific, the slip-ons that are sat as close to the door as possible.

Zye can’t much blame Jace either. Entering the living room, he’s not surprised to see Callua and Shae cuddled up on the couch chuckling. There’s a few bottles on the table. In both of their hands are glasses filled with the amber liquid, sloshing slightly with their movements. The only thing that doesn’t fit the picture is the movie they’re laughing at.

A thrilling massacre is happening across the screen. It’s a slasher movie that seems to be making their other guest a bit uncomfortable.

Jace, sitting over on the recliner, is trying not to look at the movie. A feat that’s hard to do considering it’s hard to not look at it with how the woman is shrieking. Zye can relate to that feeling. It’s not a genre he’s particularly happy to watch unless he’s in the mood to handle the gore.

Not caring to join in, Zye gives a wave before skirting around behind them. Callua and Shae wave back to him before he makes it to his room. Standing in there he wonders if he should just do it. A friend of Callua’s can’t be any harm if she’s bringing him here, right? He hasn’t caused any problems yet. In fact, he’s been quite the gentleman.

What if Jace doesn’t respond in kind? What if he is the opposite of Callua and hard to talk to? It’s easier when the other party takes over the conversation. That way he’s not wracking his brain trying to think of what to say. It’s hard to keep the mask on and pretend to want to meet someone new right now.

Then again…a distraction sounds like a good idea. And that reasoning always wins out for him.

He doesn’t bother changing. Work clothes aren’t anything more than casual wear anyway at the moment. He grabs his nighttime medicine then heads to the bathroom. After taking it with a glass of water he heads back to the living area. All the while he’s tugging at the thin, long sleeves until he’s sure he’s going to wear holes into them.

Zye stops beside Jace’s chair on his way to the door. A tap onto the back of the chair draws Jace’s attention. Enough for Zye to motion for him to follow. Immediately, relief crosses over Jace’s countenance. There’s a brief squeak from the chair. It rocks and settles to a stop as both make it out the door after slipping on their shoes.

All the while Shae glances over at Callua, a conversation filled to the brim with questions just between their eyes.

To be honest, Zye isn’t sure what to say once they’re outside. The air is thick but cool from the weather beginning to relax after the storm this morning. He squats down against the side of the apartment, careful to be on the side where the door won’t smack him. It gives Zye an interesting angle to look up at Jace.

Broad. Strong. Casual but confident.

“So, not a fan of horror movies?”

Jace shakes his head and leans on the pillar opposite of Zye. The distance between them makes little difference thanks to the porch light beaming over their heads. Jace gives a wave of his hand. “No, but your friend is. I got overruled.”

“Heh, that sounds like them alright..”

“They said you’d be home soon and didn’t think you’d enjoy it. Which is why they started early.”

Zye slips into his usual groove, fake it till he makes it through. It never fails. The words are more likely to slip out. The worry in his gut is easy to ignore. “What kind of movies do you like then?”

There’s a moment of hesitation before Jace lets out a breath. Almost as if he has to think about it.

“I…don’t know. Work keeps me busy so I don’t get to watch many.”

“Ah, yeah I get that.” Zye rubs his hands over his legs, fingers splaying out as he holds onto his knees. “My new job is a lot more demanding, too.”

“What do you do?”

“I work with Shae, same place.”

Jace cuts his gaze away. Just below those silver eyes is a tinge of red that contrasts too perfectly against the yellow tattoos. Zye can’t get enough of the sight. It’s cute knowing he must have overheard and has already jumped to conclusions. Not that he’s particularly wrong. He just doesn’t do that anymore.

He drawls on with a laugh. “It’s a lot of work to make sure dumbass people mind their manners while they’re there. But being the hired muscle isn’t so bad. Sex work is dangerous after all.”

“Mm…yeah. I do security too, it’s an exhausting job.”

The recovery is there and he’s composed himself. If anything Zye feels comfortable enough to try. Jace seems so…interesting. He knows he’d regret it if he doesn’t.

“You’re welcome here as long as you don’t mind those two or even when they’re not here.”

“Thanks. I don’t usually come with her. But she’s been running off somewhere and keeps insisting on dragging me along.” Jace slips his hands into his pockets, suddenly unsure what to do with them. “I’m on a small vacation so I don’t mind.”

A smirk curls across Zye’s countenance. The smallest glimmer of teeth can be seen as he tilts his head to look up at Jace. Their eyes meet and for a moment Zye almost loses his nerve. “Then if you’re free how ‘bout we go see a movie? There’s a few good ones that just came out.”

Hax’s words ring in the back of Jace’s mind. To enjoy himself. It’ll only be for a little while and he’ll be done. Humans are fickle right? This one won’t miss him either once he’s gone.

Jace shrugs. “Sure. Let me know when you’re free.”

What he doesn’t expect is to see the way Zye’s eyes light up at the response. Whether Zye is even aware of it or not, he’s showing just how happy he is. It’s been a while since he’s gone out and had fun. To Jace, it’s refreshing to have the honesty coming off of everything someone does.

Zye pushes off his legs and stands up. “How ‘bout this weekend?”

“That was fast.”

“I get paid tomorrow so it’ll be my treat. You can pick whichever one you want to watch. I won’t even laugh.”

“Are you implying I have bad taste already?”

Zye laughs nervously as the door begins to open. If it wasn’t for the slight smile on Jace’s countenance he’d be sure he’d offended him already. “No, no, nothing like that. That’d be mean.” It opens the rest of the way and Callua pokes her head out while leaning on the door. “The movie over, Cal?”

“Mhm! It’s safe to come back in, scaredy cats.”

She grins from ear to ear and steps out, dropping her shoes outside to step into. Stocking clad feet hit the ground as she reaches up, pinching at his cheeks.

“I’d hate for my little boy to have nightmares after all.”

Zye swats at her hands and manages to get inside successfully. At least, until he glances over his shoulder. “Are you staying for dinner?”

Callua nods. “Mhm. Shae already gave me the order. Just going to go pick it up with Mr. Sourpuss here.”

“Be safe then.”

She lets the door swing shut and steps into her shoes. In private now, she levels her gaze with Jace’s. “Making friends, hm?”

“I’m only being nice.”

“Well don’t be too nice.” Callua strides past him. She stops briefly to poke hard at his side. “I’m warning you in advance. That’s my friend.”

Jace turns on his heel and begins to follow her. He rubs at where she jabbed him while trying to make sure she doesn’t notice. Regardless, he gives her a small glare. “I don’t plan on getting attached. Something you should learn to avoid doing as well.”

“You know what? I’m eating one of your egg rolls for that.” She declares while pursing her lips. “Besides, I know you want friends just as badly.”

“Why, when I have you? You’re already a handful.”

Callua rolls her eyes. “Keep going, I’ll eat the other one while I’m at it.”

There’s a huff from beside her but she doesn’t bother with looking up at him. She keeps marching ahead, leading the way to the restaurant. Of course, she can’t help but giggle when she hears the barely audible mumble from behind her.

“What even is an egg roll anyway?”

________________________

For Zye, the weekend doesn’t come fast enough. Nothing has managed to hold his attention until today. Jace hasn’t been back by but thankfully Callua has. She promised to pass on the message of when they could meet up. He figured a later time would be best just in case something goes sour. Easier to blame the time and get away.

It doesn’t help that he hasn’t had to make friends in years aside from Callua. Certainly not with someone that he’s finding it hard to take his eyes off of. The allure one man can have is astonishing. It’s not even his appearance either and that’s what’s truly frustrating. Although his looks don’t hamper the feeling at all.

Maybe he is as Callua has mentioned— just a little shy about being around new people?

Regardless, having it later at night works out perfectly. It’s given Zye plenty of time to get ready and make sure his meds aren’t going to kick him in the ass tonight. He doesn’t want to overdress. They’re just going to see a movie.

He settles on a simple pair of washed-out jeans, his sneakers, and a t-shirt beneath a dark purple jacket. It gets cold in theaters and he can use the extra pockets for his wallet. That and he’s been finding it hard to stay warm lately despite the warmth of summer. It only makes the pain flare up more if he can’t. Zye just manages to get his bangs styled up to where they won’t dip back down when he hears the door open.

From the other room, Shae is already grinning when Callua and Jace enter. He leans back in the recliner, shouting back toward Zye’s closed door. “Your play date is here!”

Jace merely raises a brow at this while Callua giggles. She plops down on the couch before tossing a bag into Shae’s lap. The cloth bag is immediately dug into and the discs inside retrieved. Shae’s eyes go wide. “How did you find these!? They’re supposed to be almost extinct. I haven’t even seen a listing for this series anywhere!”

“I have my ways.” She replies with a wink. “This should make us even. So will you cook for me again?”

Shea stands up. He sets the bag on the chair and gives a dramatic wave of his arm. “Anything for you, my Queen.”

“Oh shut up, Shae. Just tell me next time you’re looking for something. I have my connections.”

“Will do! I just can’t believe my eyes. I don’t even want to know how much that cost.”

He continues to ramble on as Zye slips out into the living area. The clattering of dishes can be heard as Shae begins to get things ready to cook. The open floor plan gives him the opportunity to lean on the counter and see right out to the couch and TV. More importantly, to be able to tease his best friend.

Zye scoops up his keys and wallet that he left on the counter. He sends Shae a glare that he hopes will keep him quiet. “Hey Cal, staying over tonight?”

“Mhm! Hope you don’t mind a bunkmate.”

“I do actually. I’ll take the couch, just don’t drool on my pillow again.”

She laughs and leans back against the cushions. “You know, you should be happy I get to warm your bed. That’s what friends are for!”

He strides right past her and up to Jace. To be honest, it’s hard not to look at him. Not when he’s got such a plain, dulled-out orange t-shirt on that shows off his arms and tight, black jeans. The beige hat he wears shadows his gaze and makes it hard for Zye to make any eye contact. “Ready to go?”

Jace gives a nod then turns and heads for the door. Zye is right behind him until Shae leans forward over the counter.

“Have fun on your date!”

Zye whips his head back around to glare at him. Shae sticks out his tongue as Zye leaves. It’s only once they’re out the door and it clicks shut that his face slips from joyful to serious.

“Hey…Cal?”

“Hm?” She asks while getting comfortable, lounging on the couch.

“That guy, Jace. He’s cool…right? The ‘I don’t have to worry about getting some of my buddies to kick his ass’ kinda cool?”

Callua, beginning to weave her hair into a thick braid, hums softly. “Yeah, he’s harmless. If anything Zye is safer with him than anyone I can think of, including us.”

“Huh…alright. Well, tell me what you want to eat. I’m your personal chef tonight!”

She grins from ear to ear thinking of all the possible choices. While she begins to rattle off the types of food she’s in the mood for, Zye and Jace are slowly making their way outside. Zye had grabbed a couple of helmets earlier. But that’s where the problem lies.

“Mind if I drive? Or did you bring your—”

“That’s fine. You know the way.”

“Right.” Zye gestures over to where his motorcycle is parked. “I’ve got a place where I can hold your hat if you want.”

Zye grabs out one of the helmets and hands it to Jace. He gestures to where it was stored in case Jace wants to use it. Doing as Zye suggests, he ditches the hat in favor of the helmet. Zye puts one on as well then climbs onto the bike.

All the while Jace is watching him. He’s intrigued and glued to the site of the bike starting up. Parts of it glow orange as it hums to life. Zye glances up at him with a smirk. “Get on and hold on. I’ll try not to go too fast.”

Jace isn’t fazed in the slightest. He gets on behind Zye and wraps his arms around the slender waist. The grip is loose but still secure. It has Zye becoming all too aware that personal space must not bother him much despite not knowing each other well. The complete opposite of himself. Either way, he quells the feeling and focuses on the road.

Being the weekend, it takes a bit longer to get to the theater than Zye would have liked. He’s just glad he finds a space close to the front of the parking lot. Once he has the helmets tucked into the compartment and Jace’s hat back to him, Zye begins to lead him to the theater. To which, Jace is completely content to let him do so. It gives him time to look around.

They get into the line to get tickets. There, Zye gestures to the movie posters projected along the outside wall of the theater. “Anything look interesting?”

Jace seriously considers the posters. He picks apart each one from the colors in the poster to how the title curves around the top or bottom. Not to mention glancing between the names and showing times. He has no idea which one until they’re at the counter. The older woman tapping at her screen eyes them both.

Not wasting a beat, Jace smiles at her. “Burning Gardens.”

Zye tries to quell the confusion. It’s the last choice he expected not to mention he knows nothing about it. Well, aside from the poster of an obviously burning garden with someone standing at the center. He nods to affirm the selection. “Two tickets, please, for the closest opening.”

The smile he flashes the woman has her nodding to Jace instead of him. She must think he’s the one going to pay. Rather, hoping he is. If anything it reminds Zye that he’s not wearing any glasses. He almost hates that he forgets them all the time.

“Heard that one is a real tear-jerker, you two have fun. Next showing is about to start. If you hurry you can get in just as the trailers end.”

Quickly paying, Zye ushers Jace along. He tries not to take offense when the woman slides him the tickets and flinches when their fingers meet. Jace watches the interaction with nothing short of curiosity. He lets Zye lead him into the building, far away from what just happened. He feels a little lost until they near the concession counters. “Want something to eat?”

Jace shakes his head. “No. I’m fine, thanks.”

“Then we’d better be on our way. Do you want to sit close up or in the back?”

For a moment, Jace thinks. His eyes are sweeping through the people and how they steer clear of them. He’s not sure why. Is it him? He doesn’t want to bring any unnecessary attention to Zye. That’d be unfair to him. It’s solidified when Zye opens the door to their showing room for another couple behind them.

The taller woman shoots Zye a glare and tugs the smaller lady close, away from them entirely. They slip in without ever saying thank you or giving a nod. The shorter girl shoots a glare in their direction. It’s a strange interaction for Jace— he’s not used to that at all. The unmasked animosity is bewildering.

“The back is fine.”

Zye nods for him to go in. “Yeah, probably better that way.”

To Jace, he’s sure it’s because of him. But Zye knows better and he’s glad Jace hasn’t said a word about it. The less stink stirred up over it the easier this will go. He pushes down the growing regret. Why did he even do this? Making nice and trying to be friendly is pointless.

Thankfully, the overhead fixtures have already gone out. The lights along the stairs guide them to the back row where no one else is seated. Not that either quite mind. Privacy is a gem when the front half of the rows are full with a few couples and groups sprinkled throughout the middle.

There’s no talking as the opening credits begin to appear and the movie officially starts. At least, not that Zye can hear. He leans one elbow on the armrest away from Jace. It gives him a chance to look at the other man. Something he’s getting addicted to doing.

Only to be surprised.

He watches as Jace’s eyes widen as the movie begins. The music echoes throughout the large expanse of the room. Yet Jace is seemingly transfixed on the movie, never tearing his eyes away. It’s like watching a little kid open presents on their birthday. There’s a magic to the moment that’s electrifying.

Something Zye finds hard not to smile at.

Nevertheless, he does his best to turn his attention to the bright screen. He’s caught completely off guard by just how good a movie it is. Rather, it’s not what he expected when Jace said the name. It’s nothing short of a heart-breaking romance with no happy ending in sight as the screen goes black.

Lights slowly come to life. Doing so has people beginning to chatter away amongst themselves. To which Jace turns to Zye only to see the latter swiping his jacket sleeve at his eyes. Concerned, Jace leans a little closer to him.

“You okay?”

Zye immediately laughs it off, practically bending himself against the other armrest to keep the distance between them. “Going from dark to light is hard on my eyes, is all.”

“Want to wait a bit before we leave then?”

He only asks because he can see others starting to rise from their seats and file out. Zye hops up the next second. “Nah, let’s get out of here.” He stretches his arms over his head until the muscles feel like they’re not as stiff. “Could head back and see if Cal saved us any leftovers.”

Jace follows behind Zye as they make their way back down the stairs. “I doubt it. She’s a black hole.”

“True. Or we could pick something up on the way back.”

Out in the lobby with the last rays of sunlight streaming in through the floor-to-ceiling windows, it feels good. Jace doesn’t think twice as he bumps his arm against Zye’s. “Let’s head back. Next time, I’ll treat you.”

“I’ll hold you to that.”

Jace grins, almost proudly so at the smirk Zye gives him. “I never go back on my word. I’ll think of something. It’ll have to be as good as the movie, though.”

“You liked it that much?”

“It had its problems sure, but I thought it was good.”

They start to head outside when Jace hears it. Ears trained to catch the smallest of sounds pick up on the mumbling. Not that the group is particularly quiet about it nor subtle with their glances. It strikes him as odd.

Not once has he thought it possible that Zye would be the odd one between them. It doesn’t matter either way to Jace. He won’t let Zye hear it if he can help it. The cruelty of the sharp words isn’t something anyone should have to deal with.

Jace walks around to the other side of Zye, ushering him further from the group of people. What does catch his attention as they leave is but a single word, Chroma. He tucks it to the back of his mind to ask Callua more about it. But for now, he tries to drown those people out.

“So, what was your favorite part?”

Zye has to think for a moment. All the way to the road in fact. Crossing it to get to the parking lot, Zye gives a huff. He didn’t imagine it’d be that hard to answer at first. “I guess…when she found out that it wasn’t a lie. The love was real even if he was going under a different..agenda? Something like that..”

“Really?” They take a turn between a few cars to get to the motorcycle. Jace glances over at him. “I wouldn’t have guessed that. May I ask why?”

Ever so polite. Zye wishes everyone had those manners. He shoves his hand into his pocket, fishing out his keyring as they get close. “Well, just because his name is different doesn’t mean what they shared was a lie. Love is deeper than that and it’s not always pretty and perfect either.” He gives a nervous laugh at the end. “At least, that’s what my mom always told me."

They reach their destination. Jace changes out the hat for a helmet once more. Climbing on behind Zye, he finally gives a hum of agreement. “I think you’re right.” He ignores the thought that pokes at his mind, to report to Solis, and instead enjoys the ride back.

________________________

The following day finds Zye yawning while idling in the kitchen. The noise he’s waiting for is the ding of the stove, not the knock that resounds off the front door. He shoots a glare over at it knowing he doesn’t want to step away. The second he does is when something could burn. Leaning a bit on the counter, he shouts over to the door.

“It’s open!”

There’s a moment before it edges open. From where he stands he can see Jace slip inside, a curious look on his face. He steps out of his sneakers and enters the living room. Jace gives him a small wave. “Hey, just stopping by. Callua sent me ahead and said that she mentioned she’d come by today.”

Zye pushes away from the counter, glancing at the timer. Noting it, he starts grabbing things to finish making the side dish. “That’s fine. You’re always welcome here. I’m making Shae something to cheer him up, he’s had a rough day.”

Jace continues until he’s got one hand on the edge of the counter. His eyes sweep over the slight mess of dishes in the sink and the ingredients Zye is busy getting ready to sauté. “What are you making?”

“Baked salmon. There’s enough if you want some.” Glancing over his shoulder, Zye can’t help chuckling at the look on Jace’s face. “I take it you’re not a fan. If you want I can make you something else.”

“No, it’s fine. I’ve already eaten.” He watches Zye return his gaze to the pan and the spoon he stirs in it. “Is there anything I can help you with? Fair warning, I’m not much of a cook..”

Zye won’t lie, he finds it interesting that he’s not. Jace just gives off that aura of being good at whatever he puts his hands on and his mind to. He’d have expected Jace to take over and finish up for him. Instead, he nods toward the sink. “If you don’t mind dishes, I could use some help. Shae hasn’t gotten the dishwasher fixed so just stack it in the drain next to the sink.”

“I can manage that.”

Jace saddles up in front of the sink and turns the water on. Zye tries to pay little mind to his helper. The last thing he wants to do is ruin Shae’s meal. Although, it does help him stay focused. He’s tired, having gotten little sleep the night prior, and would kill to simply take a nap.

“So, not a fan of salmon or all seafood?”

The clacking of dishes begins. Jace washes off the first plate in his reach. “Fish. It’s not that I don’t like it. Just…bad memories attached to it. Haven’t eaten it since.”

Zye stirs the vegetables in the pan. “Ah, got’cha. I’d say I’m the same with carrots but I just don’t like them. No tragic story there.”

Jace glances over at him. “Carrots? Those are good for you, though.”

“Like hell they are. Long orange devils are all they are.”

At that, Jace can’t help but laugh. “Really? That extreme?”

“Yes. Really.” Zye flicks the burner off and side-eyes Jace. “What other food disasters are in your tragic back story, hm?”

Another chuckle while he shuffles through some silverware, rinsing off a handful of them to stick in the drain. He has to think for a moment. “None. Just that one bad case of poisonous fish. Otherwise, I don’t care for anything fried or overly sweet things.”

Zye grins wide at him. “So what you’re saying is fried fish is your greatest weakness?”

“Shouldn’t you be cooking?” he asks with a raised brow.

Chuckling like a gremlin, Zye starts getting the food ready to plate. The silence that settles between them is comfortable. Jace continues to clean the dishes, not stopping until he’s grabbed the pans that Zye is done with. Meanwhile, Zye has plated the fish and vegetables. He swipes a drink from the fridge and a fork that’s still damp as it dries in the drain.

“I’ll be right back. You said Cal was on her way?”

Jace turns the water off and dries his hands on a nearby towel. “She didn’t mention how long she’d take but yes.”

Zye seems to hum to himself at that. He glances at Jace one last time before making his way to the hall. “I’ll be right back then. Make yourself at home.”

For a moment, Jace watches him go. A turn around the corner and he’s gone— away to the furthest room on this floor. Without something to do, Jace can feel the thoughts creeping up. He really shouldn’t be here. Everything he’s been taught screams at him to leave before Zye gets back.

Yet he finds himself meandering over to the couch. Zye is coming up behind him before he knows it. The reappearance of the man has any thoughts of leaving shattering. He stiffens as Zye comes around him only to plop onto the couch with a slight bounce.

“Hopefully she won’t be long then.”

Jace waits for Zye to turn the television on and the noise to enter the room. Only then does he sit down and sink into the worn cushions that welcome him. He doesn’t notice how Zye wiggles away, trying to put a bit of distance between them. Just so they aren’t touching. If only because Zye sets the remote down and props his sock-clad feet on the table.

That and he’s too busy actually looking at the other man. Jace knows it’s rude yet he can’t help but steal the glances. Therefore, he tries to give a reason that he’d be looking sideways and not at the screen.

“What’s your weakness then?”

Zye turns to him. “Huh?”

“I told you mine. What’s yours?”

The smile this time feels more genuine, a bit more life-like than the plastic smiles he dares to flash now and then. “Anything bitter or just grapes. Those things drive me crazy. The taste. The texture. It’s horrible.”

“I take it you have a sweet tooth then?”

Zye sways to and fro a bit then leans back. The exhaustion is starting to settle in now that his body has stopped. “Yeah, I’d say so. My mom used to get on to me about that. But I think I turned out just fine without some vegetables.”

He tries to focus on the images flashing on the screen in front of him. He lets his blinks linger a little longer than normal. Just a teeny bit of shut-eye and he’s sure he can make it through a visit. Especially once Cal gets here.

“You really don’t cook, though?”

“I can, I just over-season. Or so I’m told.” He finally looks away from Zye, not wanting to linger for too long.

“Nothing wrong with that. What kind of things do you like to cook if you do?”

Jace finally leans back against the cushion. He’s starting to feel a bit more comfortable. A feeling that has the voice in the back of his mind screeching at him. “Mostly meats. I can make a family recipe that’s full of vegetables but with the right spices I’m sure even you would like it.”

“Really?” The word is, unfortunately, accompanied by a yawn that Zye tries to stifle.

“And it’s cooked for hours, almost all day. By the time it’s served everything practically melts in your mouth. The only downside is the amount of preparation that goes into it. It can be a mess, but fine if you happen to forget something or need to substitute other items in.”

Zye is trying to listen. It’s not that Jace is boring. He’s just worn out. His eyelids are drooping with no way to hold them open for much longer. All he can do is give a hum that says he’s paying attention. At least, that’s the plan. There’s no way he can follow through with it. The soft bass of Jace’s voice lulls him into sleep far faster than he expects.

At first, Jace doesn’t notice as he jots off a few of the spices he’d put in it. All the while his gaze is transfixed on the screen. He pauses after a moment to spare Zye a glance. Finding Zye asleep has him confused. He doesn’t know what to do. Time screeches to a halt and Jace is left floundering.

Does he wake him?

No, no. He looks far too peaceful like that. Cute even— a thought he dashes and burns from his mind as soon as it comes.

Should he just leave?

Jace tries to focus. Except there’s no way Callua is near here or able to get here right away. If she was she’d reply to his message or simply be here. Jace gives another glance to Zye.

It has to be uncomfortable.

Scooting a bit closer, Jace realizes too late that he shouldn’t. He gets cold feet right away. The hand he extends to adjust him retreats. Instead of rousing Zye, Jace sinks back against the couch once more. A sigh slips from his lips as he sits there debating what to do. The ideal scenario would be Callua showing up or Zye waking.

Instead, he gets Zye bumping up against him. Zye’s head ends up on the cushion above Jace’s shoulder with his own brushing Jace’s. It has the latter hating that he can’t just leave. What truly hits him hard is when Zye’s breath tickles the side of his neck. Such a simple action that spurs him to move— and quickly.

Breathing; a very human action. It’s a painful reminder of the line he shouldn’t cross.

He’s gentle in how he slips away and gets up. Anything to not rouse Zye too much. Jace doesn’t care how long it takes to get Zye to lie down. The tired man leans into the touch cradling his head as he’s guided to the cushions.

Considering he doesn’t wake more than to mumble and curl up, he must be exhausted. It’s the perfect timing for Jace since it lets him back away. All he has to do is leave.

Jace grabs the blanket folded up on the chair next to the couch. He drapes it over Zye while making sure it covers his feet. Satisfied, he gives a curt turn and steps around the table. Just as he’s slipping on his shoes is when the door finally opens.

“Leaving already?”

“You didn’t answer my call.”

Callua shrugs and weasels past him. “I was busy.” She chunks off her slip-ons in the process then glances into the living room. The first thing she spots is Zye. Something that has her turning back to Jace. Seeing him so flustered means he’s out of his element for once. “I was busy. Guess you were too, hm?”

He cuts a glare at her. “There’s food on the counter if you want it. Shae should still be up but he’s in his room.”

“Mhm. Well, be safe out there. I’ll give you a report later then.”

Jace barely hears her as he’s out the door. He rushes to the alley, not wanting to spook anyone that could be watching. So he walks— walks until he can find a corner by a building that no one is looking at.

All the while his mind is racing. His chest is aching. There’s a strange feeling in the pit of his stomach.

He can’t do this. He can’t let himself try to care or get too friendly. Hax isn’t right— he shouldn’t be out here having fun. He has a job to do.

For a moment he nurses the idea of not returning. Surely Callua can make up some excuse. It wouldn’t be hard. They’ll forget about him in no time as if he was never there to begin with. It’s how it goes. He has friends that he doesn’t have to keep secrets from after all.

Jace gives a shake of his head as he dips to the side of a building. Settling in the shadows, he lets himself vanish from human eyes. Even so, he leans against the wall with a heavy sigh. Doing that has him flinching. It reminds him of the breath on his neck.

Mortal beings. They’re too fragile and before he knows it they’ll be dust in the wind as well. It reminds him how vulnerable he is. That he’s no different despite a change in makeup. It just takes a little bit more to turn him to dust.

Squeezing his eyes shut, he lets the message from a friend trickle through. Anything to distract so he can recenter himself. A moment later and a swirl of energy appears. There is nothing but wisps of yellow and white— like a burning hot sun. They vanish as the man appears.

He steps forward with flat black shoes making no sound as he moves toward Jace. The long, thin purple ponytail sways behind his broad shoulders. All the while he keeps one hand on his hip, always in reach of the whip holstered to the belt over his dark lavender shorts.

Jace tries not to look at the scar across his shoulder and chest. Yet he always finds it hard with how the top is only a vest that’s held together by two straps crossing like an ‘x’. Instead, he tries to focus on the solemn yellow and blue heterochromatic eyes.

“It’s not often you come to me, Gray.”

The man locks eyes with Jace, showing in just a glance how important this is. “I found someone that can tell you about old Surge locations. If we’re lucky there might still be evidence left behind.”

Jace thinks for a moment. It’s very, very possible. Especially since Soren gives all of the tasks to Daichi and that man refuses to do anything all the way. He’s too lazy and self-oriented. Jace pushes away from the wall. “Let me guess, it’s complicated?”

“I can take you to them. They’re too scared to show their face much less leave where they’re hiding out.”

“Understood, lead the way.”

Gray tilts his head, “Shouldn’t we get Callua?”

Jace strides past Gray. He flicks his wrist to open a portal on his own. “No. She’s busy with…she’s busy.”

________________________

This strange city that’s far more advanced than where he’s from seems to be inescapable. No matter how much Jace has tried, he ends up back here when he’s done with his tasks. He makes sure to appear in different locations. Never too close to where Callua’s friends should be. Not when he’s undecided on if he wants to continue “having fun”, as Hax would say.

Yet he can’t forget how good it felt to not worry about anything. To be around people that have no inkling of what is going on in the cosmos or an ulterior motive to stab him in the back. It’s…calming.

And he’d be lying if he says he doesn’t want to have that again.

It’s been so long since he’s been around someone that everything feels…natural. There’s no pretending necessary. At the same time it always drudges up memories he’s tried oh so hard to bury down deep.

Still, he always reprimands himself. He had his chance and shouldn’t intrude on others while they get to have theirs. He’s a protector— someone that’s supposed to stand on the sidelines. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The conflicting feelings are what guides him to a more bustling area of the city. Shops line the streets as well as little strip malls here and there. There’s not one building that isn’t flooded with people going in and out. The petite bakery tucked between two such stores is the only exception.

It seems so out of place.

Just like him.

Jace steps closer to the front window, peering in at the freshly baked bread that’s been placed on display. The glass dome atop it glitters from the rays of the sun. It makes it all the more appetizing. Especially since it looks familiar.

Standing there, he allows himself to let a memory slip back to him. If only but for a moment.

He can feel eyes peering at him from a distance. He shakes the feeling off until he remembers no one should be able to see him. And anything that can would be running far, far away from him if so. Yet the sensation remains. Looking around, it takes a few seconds to find the source amid the throngs of people.

Purple-blue eyes aren’t hard to find considering how tall Zye is. That and he’s the only one looking. There’s a streak of bewilderment that Jace is quick to wipe off his face. He’s not quite sure why he does, but he lifts a hand to give a small wave.

The smile he receives back is just as perplexing to Jace as when Zye continues his way toward him. For a moment there’s only internal panic. He’s not sure what to do other than make himself visible to everyone else as well. Surely no one will think twice— at least not while he’s standing alone.

Regardless, he doesn’t have long before Zye is jogging up to him. There’s no time to think about how this man can see him. All he can do is give a nod once Zye stops next to him. “I didn’t expect to see you around here.”

The statement gives away more than he intends. Not that Zye catches on. At least, Jace hopes he doesn’t take it as he’s been avoiding them all. Zye’s too busy stepping to the side so no one elbows past him. Zye pushes his hands into his pockets, unsure what to do with them.

“Oh, I had a doctor’s appointment. I was going to bring Shae something home when I saw you.” He fidgets from one foot to the other, suddenly a bit embarrassed. He’s not sure why he even bothered in the first place. “So, uh, how have you been?”

“Fine. How are you?”

Zye turns, looking to the window that shows off a plethora of baked goods instead of Jace’s eyes. He’s not sure why he’s nervous. At least, not entirely. It doesn’t help that he’s sure he could be the reason Jace hasn’t shown back up. Not that Callua feeds into that theory.

“Same. Nothing new going on.”

The conversation festers and withers between them. Jace isn’t sure if he should ask anything in particular, maybe ask about Shae. Yet he can’t bring his tongue to work or the dryness to leave his mouth. He pinches his eyes shut.

It’s been too long since he’s allowed himself to make a friend.

“Have you tried their stuff?”

“What?”

Zye slips a hand out of his pocket and gestures to the window. “The bakery, have you tried their food?”

“No. I was just looking.”

“Which one?”

Jace points toward the one he was eyeballing and Zye is off without a word. He doesn’t wait or ask anything else. All he leaves behind is the jingle over the door signaling he’s gone inside. It has Jace standing outside, watching him through the window. He doesn’t understand what’s happening or why Zye is going out of his way.

Not until the dark-haired man is slipping back out of the shop with a package in his hands. Held in a hard paper sheath with wax paper to pick it up with are two slices of bread. Zye holds it out to him. “Try it. I’m not usually big on banana bread, but I know it’ll be good.”

“Thank you, Zye.” He graciously accepts the gift.

“No big deal. I gotta run though. I promised I’d cook dinner early since it’s game night.”

Jace raises an eyebrow at that, unsure what it means.

“Shae’s off early tonight and Cal is already there.” Zye takes a step back. “But if you want, you’re welcome to drop in.”

“I can’t. I have plans tonight.” Jace blurts out the first thing that comes to mind, eager to distance himself. Yet sad that he does. Especially when he sees that fake smile creep up onto Zye’s face. He hurries to fix it. “Maybe next time.”

Zye nods and begins to turn, leaving Jace there once more. “No problem, see ya later.”

A final wave over his shoulder and he’s vanishing into the crowd.

Jace tilts his head down. The bread is warm in his hands while the feeling he’s left with is cold. For a moment he’s glad he doesn’t need to breathe because he’d be struggling. He starts walking, not caring that he’s catching eyes as he goes on his way.

Lonely.

It’s the only thing he can think of. Even more so when he finally takes a bite of the bread. The taste sends him years back and miles away. The cityscape fades. His home shimmers into view in his mind’s eye.

So very lonely.

It’s a suffocating feeling. One that wells up in his throat as he swallows. It’s harder to do than he can imagine. Not one to let his emotions seep out, Jace is quick to duck away from the crowd and dispel their ability to see him. There he leans against a wall and stares down at his sneakers.

The debate begins there in that alleyway.

To go or not to go.

It lasts throughout the day as he leaves Civicus to take care of a few things. It continues even as he returns to the bustling city. All the way from the shop he wanders into in search of a gift to the door of Zye and Shae’s abode.

The air has a chill to it tonight. It nips through the lack of layers he wears— not that it fazes him. He’s sure he looks strange with his jacket over his arm and not on. It’s so hard to remember to appear like the cold bothers him. Especially when what does is the anxiety and nerves acting like a hoard of disturbed moths in his belly.

He reaches out to the door. A single knock against the surface. An action he immediately wishes he could take back when it opens up. Jace takes a step away and holds out the red and yellow box. It’s thin with not much to note about it save for the yellow bow fixed on top of it.

Zye pushes the door open further, balancing himself on the threshold. “You’re here. Hi.” He reaches up and pushes the pink bangs back, blending the bright strands in with the dark. “Do you want to come in? We already ate but we’re just about to start up a card game.”

Jace knows he has to commit to something. He’s bitten the lure baited with kindness. All he can do is let it reel him in or he can let it go— walk away as if this doesn’t matter. For once he just wants it to be simple.

And this feels simple. No strings. No hidden agendas. Just a hand outstretched in search of a friend. He wants to take it so bad it has him anxious.

He holds out the box further, urging Zye to take it. “I wanted to repay you for earlier. It’s just candy and chocolates. The lady at the shop recommended it.”

“Cool, that’ll be perfect.” Zye accepts the box and continues to hold the door open. He takes a step inside. “Want to play? If not you can drink or watch. Or both.”

“Sure.”

This smile isn’t fake or forced. It’s genuine. One that has Jace giving a petite smile back before following Zye inside. The door clatters shut behind them. Jace fumbles with getting his shoes off so he can hurry after Zye. The latter is already at the table and beginning to sit down. He sets the box on the middle of the table with a grin back up at Jace.

“Come on. We were just arguing about who gets to deal.”

“What? He’s playing?” Callua bursts with laughter. She grins from ear to ear as she struggles to regain her composure. “He doesn’t even know how. And he’s not competitive enough either. I’ll roll him with the first hand.”

Jace shoots her a glare as he moves toward the three of them split around the table. “I can beat you just fine.”

Zye pats the corner of the rectangular table. It’ll sit him closer to Zye and Callua with Shae on his opposite end. An act that has Shae laughing as well.

“Fine with me. Higher chance I’ll win.”

Callua sticks her tongue out at him. “If I recall last time, you lost to me. Every time.”

Once Jace is sitting down cross-legged, Zye gives him a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry, I can always teach you.”

This has a whine coming from Shae. “If you’re going to baby him then we can’t pick on him.”

Zye leans up and over the table. He snags the deck of cards from Shae’s hands and begins to shuffle them. “If you can’t beat him with a little help then you really do suck at this game.”

“Damn man, that’s harsh. Cal? Repair my ego?”

Callua grabs for her beer and leans back on one hand. “Sorry, I think he just sunk your ego. Can’t fix that.”

Beginning to deal the cards, Zye glances over at Jace. “Don’t worry, they’re really not that good either. I’ll tell you the rules in a second.”

Jace nods and remains quiet. He’s not sure if he should be here, but it feels comfortable. It’s a reminder of what he’s had— could have still if he wants it. There’s only one thing that has him nervous.

He’ll have to ask Callua more about how to blend back in with people. That way he can enjoy every second he has with these three until even that is inevitably ripped away.

1