Chapter 12
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A couple days later and Zye is still a nervous wreck. If anything, Jace seems perfectly normal when they message back and forth. There’s no sign of him trying to put distance between them. In fact, he responds faster than usual. It has Zye a little hopeful now that they’ve made plans to meet up.

Doing it while Shae is at work is the most crucial part. He doesn’t need an eavesdropper or a cheerleader. He can handle this like any sane adult. Or so he thinks. The only problem is he’s getting off work and pulling up to the house when he realizes Jace is already there.

He stands outside on the porch with the harsh glow of the phone screen illuminating his face. For a moment, Zye lets the bike rumble beneath him. Part of him doesn’t want to turn it off, grab the care package he was sent with, and head inside. The other has him already doing just that and striding up to the porch before his mind catches up to the rest of his body.

“Hey, sorry for the wait.”

Jace closes the screen and pockets it. “I wasn’t waiting long. How was work?”

“Oh, uh, it was fine. How was your day?”

Unlocking the front door, his mind is frazzling at the corners. He thought he’d at least have a chance to change clothes. Maybe even take a quick shower. The last thing he wants to do is sit next to someone while he smells like so many different types of cologne, perfume, and incense.

“Good. Although, I can’t stay long. I promised I’d meet up with an old friend tonight.”

Zye shoulders past the door, grabs his keys, and kicks his sneakers off. “We could have done this another day.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that.” Jace shuts the door behind him. He idles in the entryway for a moment before moving further in.

“It’s fine. I just don’t want you to feel like it’s a rush. I mean, it’s not like this is that important.” He’s putting as much space between them as possible. All the way to the kitchen, he starts the oven and sets the bag on the counter. “I just wanted to make sure things weren’t going to be weird. I mean I really, really, shouldn’t have drank that much and I know I said— did— some dumb things.”

Back around the counter and toward the couch. He doesn’t sit. He stays right there at the arm, closest to the door and Jace. One hand grabs onto the back, grounding himself while he tries to work up the courage to look the other man in the eye.

“We don’t need to take it seriously.”

He finally does and there he sees it. Lately, it’s been getting easier to read Jace. The expressions are slight yet boundless in their meaning. Zye isn’t sure if he’s seeing it or if it’s what he wants to see. But there’s a twinge of disappointment in that stoic mask.

It has him swallowing hard. “Unless…maybe you want to?”

Where he gets the courage he’s not sure. Maybe it’s the way Jace smiles back at him that does the trick. There’s a slow nod as Jace tries to piece this together. He’s been expecting Zye to bring it up— had hoped he would. As much as he shouldn’t, he wants to.

Every logical outcome demands he let Zye down easy. There’s no way this will work. Especially not when he’ll end up living long after Zye is gone. The sorrow alone is a heavy burden. Yet he’s clasping his hands together in front of his waist, anything to keep them busy. “I’m not against it. Are you sure?”

“I…yes?”

Jace chuckles, “That doesn’t sound very sure. It’s alright. I promise if you don’t there’s no awkward feelings. We can keep doing what we’ve been doing.” There’s a message that passes through him to where he instinctively takes a step backward.

Except Zye doesn’t know that. He thinks Jace is leaving, that he’s missed his chance and there might not be another one. The couch is left there as he moves forward, coming within a foot of Jace.

“What about you? That wasn’t a yes either.”

The fact that Jace is more confident has Zye spiraling. The warm hand that reaches for his does the opposite of what it’s intended to do. No calm that rushes over Zye. It’s simple, tumultuous panic. To the point where he forgets that he’s even calling Jace out.

“I’d really like to date you and see where this goes.”

It’s not a confession of outpouring love. It doesn’t have to be. Zye’s neck is on fire and he wishes he could pull away from Jace’s hand. Instead, all he can do is bite the nerves back.

“Yeah, I’d like that, too.”

“Then I’ll see you tomorrow?”

Fingers are slipping away and Zye is reluctant to let them now that it’s happening. The jolt back to reality isn’t until the shrill chime of the oven reaching its temperature goes off. It has Zye jolting and taking that last step forward. The hand on his own moves to brace against the middle of his back instead.

Zye looks away from Jace’s countenance and the way those eyes pierce through him. “Y-yeah, tomorrow. Don’t be late.”

“If I am I’ll make sure to let you know.”

Jace begins to turn away. In doing so, his hand glides down Zye’s back until it slips away. Zye waves him off— it’s all he can manage to do until he hears the door click shut. It’s only then that he deflates and immediately sinks down. Squatting there, he drags his hands over his face.

“I can’t believe it. The hell am I doing?”

Groaning into his hands, he tries to calm the butterflies making a fuss in his stomach. He’s more than just happy. He’s ecstatic to the point where he’s glad Shae won’t be home until he’s asleep. There’s no way he can hide the smile now. If anything, he feels like some stupid little teenager again and the nerves are only getting worse.

________________________

Despite dating, Zye will be the first one to admit that it doesn’t feel like they are. Not a single thing has changed. At least, not to show that they are. If anything, it’s gone the other way and Jace seems like he’s a bit more distant.

Even sitting on the couch he feels a million miles away— they’re too far apart unlike before when they’d be side-by-side. It’s comfortable, yet frustrating for Zye. Especially considering he’s been working his ass off. It’s left them with little time to do any other than meet up before he goes to work aside from when Shae tags along. Much like today.

Zye’s swiping through his phone, “How about next weekend?”

“That’s fine. Just let me know your schedule, I can work around it since I’m still on leave.”

“I’ll text it to you later then. I get my new one tonight.”

A yawn comes from behind them as Shae ambles out in a pair of gym shorts. He makes his way around the couch, looks at the space between them, and plops down. Shae leans over and flicks Zye on the shoulder. “Shouldn’t you get going? You don’t get special treatment just because you know Boss’s favorite recipe and can make it.”

“Not my fault you didn’t hang out in the kitchen.” Zye stands, pockets his phone, and stretches. He tucks the purple t-shirt into the waistband of his pants before moving to the door. “I’ll see you two later. Don’t burn anything down while I’m gone.”

“Never in my wildest dreams!” Shae shouts after him.

“Liar.” He gives Jace a small wave before vanishing around the corner. “See you tomorrow.”

“Of course. Be safe.”

Shae waits a moment. He’s a patient man.

Sometimes.

The door shuts. A few minutes after that, Shae flops over so that his legs kick up to hit the opposite armrest with his head landing on Jace’s thigh. He grins up at Jace. After all, he might be taken but that doesn’t mean he can’t still look at that strong jawline.

“So big guy, what’s takin’ ya so long? Or are you more for courting and all that cutesy goo-goo.” He lifts his hand, poking at the underside of Jace’s chin. “Or do you have a really wicked kink you want to ease him into? Cause I’m serious here, he’d probably say he’d try it for you.”

“What? Where did this come from?”

Shae huffs. “Dude. It’s been two weeks. He’s about to pop a damn blood vessel. Maybe hold his hand? Bat some lashes his way?”

“It’s not that I don’t want to.”

“Then what the hell man?” Shae grabs Jace’s hand. Fingers twine together with Shae giving their hands a slight shake. “See? Easy.”

Jace’s expression turns serious. Not that he bothers with retreating from the grip Shae has on his hand. “It’s not that it’s not easy. It’s been a while since I’ve had a relationship. The thought of not being able to stop if I do…I don’t want to scare or upset him. Especially in front of others.”

Shae goes silent. He yanks his hand away, attempting to cover his mouth, as laughter erupts from him. Jace simply watches, not batting an eye as the man finally sits up from his lap. Shae wheezes while trying to catch his breath.

“You’re too much. Just take the dumbass out on a date already and then you can ask. You know you haven’t done that since y’all made it official right?”

“We…haven’t? But what about—”

“Nope doesn’t count. I was there.”

Jace stares forward with brows pinching together. He hadn’t realized it— they really haven’t. Especially since Zye’s been picking up more shifts to cover for people. At first, he thought he was being avoided considering how Zye seems to shy away from any display of affection around others.

He gives a hum of thought. That maybe, just maybe, it’s only because this is new. Jace glances at Shae. “You’re right. I’ll take him out tomorrow if he’s free.”

Shae snorts, “Fine. Let me help you. I can pull a few strings to get you into this really nice place.”

“You’d do that?”

Standing, Shae is already hurrying past the couch. He left his phone in his room and he’s going to need it now. “Of course! I can’t tease him if you two don’t do anything adorable. You’re mine the rest of the day until we get this planned!”

Jace smiles down at his lap. Hands are wringing themselves and he didn’t even realize he was doing it. This new relationship has him feeling like he’s a kid all over again much less alive; giddy, overwhelmed, and wanting to dive into everything headfirst. But that’s not the way to do it. He doesn’t want to blow this even if he shouldn’t be doing it in the first place.

If but a little, he feels guilty. As if he’s rebelling against the principles that were drilled into him. He shouldn’t let himself feel this way for anyone that’s living— it’ll only bring pain in the end. Yet there’s a piece inside that’s happy and eager for tomorrow.

________________________

Fortunately, Jace is able to make it work thanks to Zye’s schedule. They’ve gotten lucky and it has him rushing back to his home the next afternoon as planned. To say he’s excited would be an understatement. He’s already let Zye know he’ll be early so they can enjoy their time together before going out to eat.

That and he wants to clear up a few things— one particular thing.

It’s why he’s standing at the front door. Normally, he’d give a knock and not think about it. But today finds him doing that and then smoothing his hands over the white t-shirt that tucks into the black pants.

The door opens and Jace finds himself feeling…light. He’s nearly giddy to take Zye out, helped by the fact that he’s dressed up just a bit. Nothing fancy, just a pair of new-looking jeans and a light, baby-blue button-up. What seems to kill him is the fact that the first two buttons are left undone to show Zye’s collarbone.

“Uh, Jace? You coming in?”

“Sorry, was lost in thought.”

Zye raises a brow, “Uh…huh. Well, when do we leave?”

Jace follows Zye into the home. There’s a moment of hesitation as he hears loud thumps above his head. He shuts the door behind himself. “Not for a bit. Are the renters upstairs home?”

“Yeah. I have no idea what they’re doing. As far as I know, belly flopping the floor.”

Zye plops down onto the couch and kicks his feet up, resting his heels on the edge of the coffee table. “You sure you don’t wanna get there early.”

“I’m sure,” he replies while striding over. “I wanted to talk to you about something.”

“What’s wrong?”

Jace sits down next to Zye, a little closer than he has been lately. “I don’t want to make you uncomfortable.”

“How so?”

“Well, some people don’t even like holding hands in public or where others are present. Others don’t mind kissing or sitting on each other’s laps.”

Zye isn’t stupid, he can put two and two together. It explains why Jace has been giving him distance. It doesn’t help that most of the time they’re out and about or around Shae. He doesn’t want to upset anything much less make it awkward. It has him about to let out a sigh of relief.

“That’s all?” He leans back against the cushions, comfortable and relaxed now that the air is clear. “I guess…I’m okay with the minor stuff. I’d rather not have your hand down my pants while having company. A normal level of PDA is fine with me.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“So, what brought this up?”

“I was talking to Shae.” Jace smiles at the groan he hears from Zye. “It was a good thing. He was just worried about you.”

“Then where we’re going?”

“He set it up for me.” There’s a moment of silence. “Is there anything you’re curious about?”

Zye glances to Jace. “I guess I do have one question.”

“What’s that?”

“Why did you say yes?” The still look he gets has Zye scrambling to clarify. “I just…you didn’t give any hints that you liked me.”

Jace smiles and scoots a little closer on the couch to where their legs touch. “I didn’t or did you just not see them?”

Zye goes red at that. His lips draw into a thin line. “I’m not blind, come on.”

“Are you sure? I thought you were trying to give me signals.”

Nudging his arm against Jace’s chest, he laughs. “I wasn’t, I swear. I might stare a little too long but it’s kinda hard not to when I got tall, dark, and handsome right next to me.”

Jace can’t help but echo the chuckle. He settles back against the couch while reaching down for the arm on his chest. Fingers easily find purchase with Zye’s. Lacing their fingers together, he smiles at the other man. “You’re tough and stand up to people. Kind and cute, especially when we watch anything a little sad. You always tear up no matter how hard you try not to.”

“Hey! It’s not my fault you people don’t have emotions!”

He tries to tug his hand free, to sulk away from Jace. Except he’s not allowed, Jace’s grip is far stronger and all it does is have him rocking back toward Jace. Zye ends up leaning against him; one arm cradled between their bodies with his free hand bracing on his own leg. They’re suddenly too close and his brain is short-circuiting.

Zye can’t take his eyes away from that silver gaze. At least, until he’s letting them drift down to slightly parted lips. He wants to kiss him so bad he can’t stand it. The nerves are building up and he wants to ignore them. Zye pushes all of the mental hoops he’d have to jump through to the side and leans in further.

“You know, I could say the same thing about you; smart, sweet, and…”

Jace is dipping his head down to meet him. If there’s anything he wants, it’s this as well. Except just before their lips can touch, he hears it. The message that slams through his mind with urgency. To the point where he ends up pressing his forehead to Zye’s instead. He reaches back for his phone under the guise that it’s what went off.

“I’m sorry, I told them to only message if it was dire.”

Taking it in stride, Zye smiles and sits up. The hand still clutching his own remains so he can give a comforting squeeze to it. “It’s alright. Go ahead.” He says despite wanting to sulk. So close yet so far away.

Jace turns the screen on and flicks through it for a moment before it goes off. He’s quick to pocket it. Brushing his thumb over the top of Zye’s hand, he exhales slowly. “I’m sorry, I have to go.”

“N-no it’s fine really. Work calls.”

He stands up. Doing so has him finally letting go of Zye’s hand. The latter expects Jace to simply leave— it’s important after all. Yet, Jace spares a moment to lean back down and brush a kiss across Zye’s cheek. “I’ll make it up to you, promise.”

Jace doesn’t think twice about the action. He doesn’t realize he’s leaving Zye sitting there with a twenty-yard stare and a blush that’s growing worse by the second. He wishes he could stay and do it again. Except he can’t, he can’t afford to wait a second.

The second he’s out the door and around the corner, he’s allowing the guise to drop. By the time he’s vanishing from mortal eyes, a portal is up and he’s running through it. The only problem is he doesn’t expect to sprint out and into a large stone courtyard.

Eyes sweep across it. He’s aided by the lanterns every so often and the fact that the blue on the Nether glows rather fiercely against the darkness— a dead giveaway. Beside him, he turns to Callua as the portal shuts. The smile on her face shows just how oblivious she is to what she got interrupted.

“So, how’s everyone doing?”

“Fine. I’m glad you called, this is too many for you.”

“There’s at least thirty but most are the same type.”

To that, she’s right. They resemble a large jungle cat if anything. Except most have more than one tail that whips behind them. Tails that have a sharp point at the ends. Jace reaches into the back pocket of his slacks and pulls out his bandanna.

“I can handle them. Go ahead and head out.” He states while tying it around his forehead and pushing his hair back.

Callua scoffs, “Seriously? Are you going to jump and punch every one of the fliers then?” She summons an orb between her hands. It’s a glittering pink— a soft shade with a glow from the inside. She expands it until it’s the size of a watermelon that hovers above her hands. A single brush of her palm over the surface and the sloshing liquid inside freezes solid. “I got your back.”

Jace nods. As he rushes forward, he’s glad she’s here. Ducking beneath a rather engorged-looking bee, he goes straight for any Nether that’s near the ground. Flames lick across his fingers as he punches the first one. It underestimated him and doesn’t stand a chance.

The first hit has it exploding into dust that sparkles under the light of the moon. Seeing as one of their own has gone down, the rest pack up and rush him. The airborne Nether plan to do the same except Callua is rushing to get a bit closer to them before propelling the orb into the back of the first one— the hard shell and wings crunching from the impact

The heels of her thigh-high boots clack against the ground as she comes to a stop. She doesn’t have to catch the orb as it boomerangs back toward her. A spin on her heel and she seemingly ‘catches’ it before readying another throw. All the while her blue, pleated skirt billows around her to show the black shorts beneath.

Together, they synchronize enough to take out the small horde in quick succession. She keeps her eyes on Jace nonetheless. He bounds through the throng of enemies with reckless precision. It does tell her one thing— she definitely interrupted something.

Jace is straightening up, lifting his foot off the back of the last one, when Callua jogs up to him. She pats him on the back. “Let me heal you.”

“I’m fine. No—”

“Really? Don’t say there’s no scratches when you’ve got them all down your arms.” The solid orb turns into a liquid in her hand— still contained in that spherical shape, however. She commands a bit forward, touching each scratch that’s already beginning to drip orange blood. “I’ll have you patched up and you can go back.”

“It’s fine.”

“Oh come on. I owe you for helping me out.”

“I probably owed you something already. I’ll just head on and cleanse, you should do the same once you’ve finished the area.”

Callua huffs. She’s not an idiot— she knows he’s pouting, at least, his form of it.

“Still, pretty impressive how you handled that many and that’s not even your duty.”

“It doesn’t matter. Releasing energy or defeating Nether are the same thing in the end. My gift just happens to be more offensive so I do whatever I need to.”

She watches him pull away once she finishes. The power fades away and she lets her arms fold beneath her bosom. “Whatever you need to, huh?”

Jace tugs the bandanna down, wipes his face, and then pushes it into his back pocket. “We all took oaths when we accepted this. Protect the balance and the souls.”

“I see, I see. So I got a question for you then, tough guy?” She waits for the nod before bumping her arm up against his. “How’s it going with Zye, hm? Shae says you’re getting cold feet?”

“You— That’s none of your business. Besides, I already had to hear it from Shae.”

“Of course, it’s my business! That’s my best friend. Come on, tell me what’s wrong, hm?”

Jace looks down at her. “I forget you two talk each others’ ears off. I won’t next time.”

“Duh. But I’ve heard it from the horse’s mouth, too.”

“…What did you just say?”

“It’s a saying.”

“I think you’re just trying to confuse me.”

Callua huffs. “I’m trying to say even Zye—”

Jace turns on his heel and tries to put distance between them. “I took care of it. I was headed out on a date until someone called me begging for help.”

“Hah! I knew it!” Callua runs to catch up with him. She grabs onto his arm as she does, all while opening a portal with the flick of her other wrist. “So get going then.”

“It’s a little late, Cal, and I need to get back to Solis.”

“No, you need to go back. Trust me on this one, okay?”

“You do realize it’ll be late there, right?”

Callua tugs him toward the portal. “Please go? I’m really sorry I interrupted and I’d feel bad if you at least didn’t check back in with him.”

“I can just message—”

“Jace. Go. I swear if you don’t I’ll punch you so hard in the gut you’ll cry.”

A second is all he hesitates before pulling away from her and stepping toward the portal. “You’re mean, you know that?”

“Mm, but you love me anyway. Oh! And while you’re there can you pick up an order for me?”

He sighs and gives his back to her. “I knew there was another reason. I’ll bring it to our usual spot then.”

She waves after him, “Message me when you get done with him and I’ll give you the details. See you soon!”

________________________

It’s not the first time that he’s gotten hurt. Then again he has been a bit distracted since Jace had to cancel and he decided to take someone’s shift. Of course, it’s bound to happen— it’s part of the job. He’d rather take the hit than any of the others. That’s why he’s been hired. He’s to minimize the damage and he can handle it. The young Chroma he took it for wouldn’t have been able to, let alone keep taking customers with a banged-up face.

Yet, even so, getting home has Zye face to face with Shae. A very angry and worried Shae at that. The blond is gripping the back of the couch with all he has to keep himself from shaking— he’s too scared that Zye will get hurt. Their entire childhood was full of seeing bruises, scraps, cuts, and more. Going back to it is hard. No one wants their friend to be hurt.

“You have to be more careful, you’re not going to heal like—”

“Say it.” Zye dares him, eyes narrowing and lips drawing into a taut line.

But Shae isn’t one to back down. All of the bubbly facade has evaporated and replaced by a stern look that has eyebrows drawn together, hands gesturing wildly and words becoming sharper.

“Like a normal person. We’re not normal. So stop trying to be. What happens if he comes back with friends or next time you end up on the other end? Care a little more about yourself!”

“It’s my job to keep everyone there safe,” he mutters while turning around. Zye knows Shae means well but that doesn’t stop the anger from boiling through his veins. It’s a hot rage that he doesn’t want to take out on a friend. It’s agony that he doesn’t want to show so abruptly. “Fine, whatever.”

Shae takes a step after him. “Where are you going?”

“Out.”

“Zye, don’t. Come on, man.”

The door doesn’t slam shut. Zye wants to. He wants it to break off the hinges, but he doesn’t dare go through with it. Shutting it as softly and normally as he can, he’s off to somewhere that no one will be. To the left and down the sidewalk, he heads straight for where the bushes are overgrown around a hole in the cement wall.

Branches scratch at his bare arms as he slips between the bushes. The cool night air is already chilling his skin as he makes it to the other side. The sounds and lack thereof are welcoming. It’s so different from the noise that’s in his head that it’s almost suffocating. It smothers out his thoughts yet gives them a podium all the same.

“Dammit…” he curses under his breath while striding toward the large fountain in the center of the park.

It’s the only truly beautiful place in the hell that is reality. The splashing of the water soothes the aches all the way down to his soul. It comforts and eases the tension from his shoulders. The bench creaks when he sits on it. Other than that, he’s alone with the screaming in his head.

He knows Shae is right. Any normal person would take better care of themselves, they’d worry about getting hurt. Especially when his body aches and has trouble fighting things off as it is. He just can’t do that. There’s no point…right?

The moon’s glow is eclipsed by clouds. The only lights left are the amber hues of the lamps at each corner of this little square of cement. Nonetheless, it has the water sparkling each time more ripples are sent out to the edges. Again and again the same thing; the water crashes down, ripples start strong, they fade away, and then it’s still at the edge.

Just like life.

Zye pinches his eyes shut and leans forward. Elbows press hard against his knees while hands come up to the sides of his head, gripping hard into his hair. His scalp itches from how hard he grasps at the tresses. Nausea has his stomach doing flips and burning or is it because he hasn’t eaten dinner? There’s a tremble to his form as he sits there, slowly bending forward as if he can collapse in on himself.

A dying star…a black hole— that sounds like what he feels like, something he wishes he could be right now.

The explosions of emotion inside can’t be quelled much longer. Every day they’re ignored is a day they grow in strength. The happiness is bright and only makes the shadows of his being darker. The demons that haunt him claw at the corners of his mind; scraping, tearing, ripping, demanding. They want release. They want him to look at what he’s done and what he doesn’t have anymore.

Each shallow breath makes his throat burn. Tears remain unshed yet prickle at the corners of his eyes. He’s afraid to make a sound should it prove his undoing. Saying anything aloud means he could break. Sound gives things life and he doesn’t want to chance unraveling here among the vegetation, the silence, and the moon as it judges him from above.

“I thought I’d find you here.”

He can’t, won’t, look up. His fingers feel like stone, solidified in their position. If he doesn’t move maybe he can pretend the voice isn’t there. Maybe for a moment, he can be like a statue; everyone looks, no one approaches.

“Zye? Are you alright?”

The concern lacing through Jace’s voice is enough to have his teeth grinding together. His jaw locks and keeps his tongue trapped. No words are allowed out. Words have too much meaning. Answering yes implies too much and solves nothing. Answering no is even worse.

Jace moves closer until he’s standing in front of Zye, staring down at the bowed head and how fingers clutch so desperately at it. He’s aware it’s a stupid question. There’s obviously a lot that’s wrong and little that’s right. He just needs Zye to talk to him, he wants so badly to open the door a little further.

The wind that skirts through the area is harsh and cold. The beginnings of dying leaves sprinkle down to the ground. Some flutter toward them or land in the water. All flurry throughout the air until the wind dies back down to a whisper. It’s followed by Jace slipping out of his jacket.

A moment later and he’s draping it over Zye’s shoulders. He squats down, “Are you sure you want to stay out here in the cold?” There’s no response to speak of. Jace leans his arms over his knees, hands dangling toward the ground. “Well, I’ll stay as long as you do.”

Silence settles between them for a moment before Jace moves. He sits on the ground next to Zye with his shoulders up against the bench. Leaning back, he tries to think of something to say. Words truly do so little sometimes. The quiet is even worse. There’s nothing that can take away whatever pain Zye’s feeling.

Anything Jace wants to utter is dust in the wind when he feels it. The trembles of pressure in the area tickle at his senses. His brows furrow as he rushes springs to his feet. He can’t let this happen right now. Zye’s not in a good mental state, that much is obvious, and it’ll only entice whatever is coming. If only he could tell which way it’s coming from.

All around is what it feels like.

“You need to get home, I can walk you part way.”

Zye shakes his head. Fingers slip from his hair to hang instead, arms draped over his knees. “No…”

Jace huffs. Of course, it always has to be complicated. Ever since Callua has gotten him involved that’s all it’s been. His insides twist as he catches sight of the blue eyes piercing the darkness around them. Slowly they grow closer to the light— to them. From what he can tell there are at least five.

“Fine. Do me a favor then, don’t take this off.”

He grabs at the jacket he had draped over Zye’s shoulders. A few good tugs and he has it over Zye’s head, obscuring his vision entirely. Not giving Zye a chance to retort or argue, Jace hurries to put distance between them. Doing so has him running straight at the closest of the creatures.

The forms finish taking shape out of the darkness. Zye catches sight of it all as he pushes the hood off his head. He turns around just in time to see lithe wolf-like bodies form out of the darkness. Patches of bright cyan pulsate throughout their body; crackling lines, spotted around the head, jagged angles throughout that highlight their frames.

And those eyes.

Eyes he’s seen before countless times. The gazes that watch him from the dark and have him staying inside unless he has someone with him. Except for tonight.

What truly captures his attention is Jace.

The man doesn’t hesitate as one of the beings lunges at him, muzzle open and blue dripping from sharp teeth. He drops down, ducking under the beast, and punches up at its stomach. Fire erupts at the point of impact. The creature is largely incinerated with what’s left hitting the ground.

Darkness dissolves into bright speckles of silver and yellow, all glinting beneath the moon that has finally emerged from the coverage of the clouds. Within seconds the creature is no more. However, the other four aren’t backing down.

The mindless assault continues as they all race toward Jace at the same time. He takes it in stride as flames appear on his fingers. They lick up to his wrist, covering his hands completely in the bright fire. It’s the only thing that has the creatures slowing ever-so-slightly. Regardless, they don’t stand a chance.

Each punch or kick hits the mark on whichever one gets too close. There’s no sounds aside from the snarls and growls before they hit the ground. They turn to dust just like the others until only one creature remains and it’s mad.

Wisps of darkness come off it as it charges at Jace.

Just at the last second, it veers to the right, cutting to the side and lunging at the bench Zye sits on. Zye can only shove away from it. Trying to stand and run doesn’t work. His feet catch onto one another. Stumbling backward, he ends up dropping to the ground. His shoulder throbs from the impact as he throws the other arm up over his head.

“I told you not to take that off.”

Zye moves his arm to see the creature off to the side. Rather, what’s left of it. Jace gives him a glare that lacks all of the heat one should have. He extends a hand toward Zye, offering him help up and Zye eagerly takes it.

His mind is busy trying to figure out what the hell is going on. It’s running at a mile a second trying to piece together what he does know when it all comes to a screeching halt. Standing in front of Jace with their hands clasped together, he stills. He can’t tear his eyes away from Jace’s hand.

Breath catching in his throat, he tries to think back. Never once has he made contact with Jace and had it feel this hot. No accidental brushes or casual touches. It all felt normal for the most part. Then again, Jace’s hands were just coated in fire. With his sense of touch leaving him, this makes it feel like it’s not.

From where Jace’s fingers wrap around his hand it’s warm. He can feel the touch and it has heat to it. Something he hasn’t felt in some time…he doesn’t know what to do. His brain short circuits and he’s lucky he’s managing to breathe. For the tiniest of moments, despite feeling as though he’s falling to pieces, he knows he’s alive.

“Are you…okay?”

Red tinges the tips of his ears as he yanks his hand away from Jace’s. He has to redirect his brain. He flips the lights back on in his mind and snaps at Jace. “What the hell were those things?”

“I…Look, I don’t think—”

“I’ve been seeing them more than usual, but they’ve never done, well, anything. But you touched them, destroyed them like it was nothing.”

“It’s better that you don’t know.”

Zye flashes him a smirk at that. “If anyone is gonna know your secret I don’t mind. I am your boyfriend, right? And I did just see it.”

Jace sighs heavily and ignores the question entirely. He walks around Zye, picks up his jacket, and drapes it over Zye’s shoulders again. “You should wear a jacket this time of night, aren’t you cold?”

He is actually. He’s always cold and at this point it’s not even annoying.

“And that explains why you never are. Your hands were covered in fire.”

“If I tell you, you have to promise never to go out alone at night again. And I even mean at dusk. These things are everywhere and the way you are right now you’re not safe.”

The words are so loaded with meaning that it has Zye’s brain tingling. He wants to break it down, figure it out. But all he can do is nod his head while pulling the jacket over his arms. For this small break in time, he has something else to occupy his brain other than the constant fear that tugs at every string keeping his body held together. This small moment gives him peace of mind.

He follows Jace back to the bench. Sitting side-by-side, Zye turns slightly to be able to make eye contact. At first, Jace doesn’t speak a word. He’s trying so hard to figure out just what to say and how— to make sure Zye doesn’t ask any questions. So caught up in doing so that Zye beats him to the punch.

“You’re not human are you?”

Jace scoffs. “Not anymore.”

“And the job you do…all of that traveling you do is?”

“Are you going to let me explain or do you want to start guessing?”

Zye’s eyebrows pinch together much like how he wrings his hands on his lap. He’s too eager to have something like this in front of him. “Sorry…” It’s sensory overload and he loves every second that he doesn’t have to focus on what had been smothering him.

“I won’t tell you everything.” There’s a look from Zye that has him laughing softly. “Yet. I won’t tell you everything, yet. It’s late and cold.”

Jace leans back and lets his eyes linger on the moon that glints down at them. “Those things were Nether. They’re souls that didn’t make it. They’re tainted and trapped. There’s plenty of types and they feed off humans, trying to spread the…I guess we can call it an infection..”

“So…what does that make you?”

Having little to hide between them has Jace a little daring. He’s more comfortable and falls into his old habits. The mask has slipped and the restraints have started popping off. Jace leans over while holding out his hand. Flames flicker at his fingertips but it’s not what has Zye trying to lean away. He’s still not used to someone so willing to invade his personal space, someone that he likes at that.

Shoulders touch. The chuckle is warm and comfortably loud in his ears.

“A Keeper of Light to be specific. We hop across the worlds or planes and try to cleanse the Nether or places that have taken on the darker emotions like a sponge.” He explains it while slowly clenching his fingers into a fist, putting the fire out.

“And you control fire… Is that why you’re so warm?”

Jace sits up and turns to Zye. One leg bends up onto the bench while he leans an elbow against the back of it. Hair shifts against his face as he sits there, fringe dipping between his eyes.“I’ve never made contact with anyone still alive. Is it really hot? You’re not hurt are you?”

Zye shakes his head. “Nah. My sense of touch has gotten worse since we met, I can’t feel a whole lot these days. Even in the last month I don’t always…feel you when you touch me. But I could when you helped me up.”

“Huh…” Jace holds out his hand, fingers spread and inviting. Attempting to curb his powers and keep them well under control around everyone might be the cause as far as Jace is concerned. He’s gotten a little too good at it. “Try it again then.”

Their eyes meet. Zye has to cut his gaze away before the blush forms beneath his eyes. To say he hasn’t been attracted to Jace since day one would be a lie. He shouldn’t be reacting like this— they’ve already agreed to date. Yet he still has those little fluttering feelings inside when he finally presses his palm against Jace’s.

It’s Jace who curls his fingers against Zye’s. He’s seemingly oblivious to how Zye tries not to flinch from the touch. Jace is far too busy looking at Zye’s face and how his nose and cheeks are rosy in color. The fragility of mortals always catches Jace off guard. Especially when it comes to the weather, something he doesn’t ever have to give two thoughts about.

“You’re so cold…” he mutters under his breath. He tugs his hand away from Zye only to bring both up to Zye’s face. Hands to cheeks. He holds Zye’s surprised countenance in his hands. “Why didn’t you say something? We need to get you back inside.”

“I guess…”

“Why were you out here anyway?” Jace asks as he stands.

Suddenly, this new information is wilting to the sides and the reality of why he’s not home is crashing back into him. All those emotions are swarming to the surface all over again.

“Shae doesn’t like when I ‘overdo’ it.”

Jace rolls his eyes. “As he shouldn’t. Now come on. If you get sick out here then we can’t go see that movie you were talking about.”

Zye finds it hard to argue with Jace when his body is already fighting against him as it is. If anything he’s glad that Jace doesn’t pester him with questions delving further into the situation. The lack of a warm touch on his face has him waking back up, becoming aware all over again that he’s not right. He misses the warmth.

Life has been so cold. It’s always sticking out its leg and tripping him up. Tonight is no different.

Standing is easy and walking isn’t so bad either. He gets quite a few steps in before suddenly he can feel the pain surging through his chest. Zye inhales deep through his nose and keeps moving, albeit a little slower than previously.

“So does this mean I can ask for stories of your daunting and perilous adventures?”

Jace laughs as they reach the wall. It’s a sound that has some of the pressure evaporating for Zye. “Only if you behave.” He stops short and gestures for Zye to go first. But not before he reaches over and tugs the hood over Zye’s head all over again. “Going outside with damp hair is a bad start.”

Swatting him away, Zye slips through the hole in the wall. Once they’re on the other side they idle for a moment. It’s only because the jacket and sweatpants get caught on the branches and Zye has to untangle himself. It helps that Jace breaks off a few branches to make it easier to get through. Now having to face returning to the apartment, Zye wants to hesitate like his life depends on it.

“Hey…Jace?”

A hum is directed back at him as Jace stops walking. “Hm?”

“Does it mean you can’t die?”

Jace turns. His hands try to find purpose in his pockets. “No…” he says slowly. “I can still die. I’m not immortal, just not human. I’m not that. But I’ve already died once, that’s how I got to where I am now.”

“You…died once.”

Zye looks down at his sneakers. They’re scuffed, worn-out, and the laces are in a knot. His eyes trace along the strings until suddenly Jace is in front of him. The toes of each touch. Jace tries to give him a smile. “Come on, if you don’t get some rest how can we go out when you get a day off. I recall you owing me lunch from the other day.”

“That—”

“Nah-uh. You said something about kabobs and I want some, so to bed with you.”

Silver eyes have never calmed him more. Eyes that rest just above tattoos, something he wants to ask about more than ever. Instead, he gives a nod and continues with Jace to the apartment. Just in front of it, Jace steps away.

“I’ll see you later.”

Zye waits too long to turn and wave him off. Too long to say the words; why did he even come back tonight? He can only stare at the darkness that’s split into sections from the yellowed light of the other houses and the street lamps.

A sneeze has him hurrying back inside. The second the door shuts behind him, Shae is there. He slings his arms around Zye’s shoulders and pulls him down for a hug. The grip, as always, is strong and unrelenting.

“You idiot! Don’t just run out like that!”

“I’m sorry…that was pretty stupid.”

“Oh? Sorry?” Shae grins up at him. “Then prove it. Tell me what’s going on up in that brain of yours.”

Zye pushes him away, not that it’s very hard to do. Shae doesn’t resist. Instead, he follows as Zye kicks off his shoes and heads to his room.

“Did something happen? I can call in sick for you if you need a day off.”

“Haven’t felt good. I’ll be fine, just leave me breakfast in the morning before you head out.”

Shae scoffs. “What am I? Your mother?

His fingers curl around the knob of his door. A few more steps and he can act like how he really feels. Just a few more seconds.

“I promise I’ll be good if you do. Maybe even get you those candies you like so much when I go out tomorrow.”

“Hmm…I guess. See you in the morning?” Shae peers after Zye, knowing something is off but not wanting to push too hard. “And Zye? My room is right here if you need me.”

“Yeah.”

The door feels so good against his back as it clicks shut. Minimal lighting in the room doesn’t bother him, it only soothes the pain that’s blossoming up his neck and through the back of his skull. The migraine won’t be easy to get rid of by morning. It’s just something he’ll deal with later.

At the moment he can only amble over to his bed and collapse onto it. Socks nearly get pulled off in the fight to get the blanket to at least cover his legs. Throughout it all, he doesn’t take the jacket off. It’s baggier on him than it was on Jace and for that, he’s happy because he can pull it more around him.

1