Chapter 39: Harper Down
208 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thanks to our patrons:

Herald patrons: nbd00 and Jesse.

Archon patrons: Morninglight.

The reason for this prompt punishment was because Abraham’s partner on this contract was the renounced Merchant Guild of Mocester. Since the early morning, he had been summoned to the Merchant Guild of Oxdale and proceeded to explain the incident through a communication line. Taking effect immediately, the Harper was stripped of their right to do business across the Kingdom of Omnivell until the case was concluded. The process would include finding evidence, making an appeal, proposing a penalty deduction, and reaching an agreement from both sides of the contract.

Hard had he tried, Abraham and the Harper were still obligated to fulfill one-third of the compensation. The rest would depend on the outcome of the case, but a positive result was not something to be relied on. At the end of the day, Abraham's responsibility was to ensure the cargo reached its destination, and that also included taking account of the banditry risk. Therefore, most of the guild members agree on blaming the negligence on the Harper side. Even considering the long-term membership and relationships Abraham had within the two guilds, he could only hope for a small deduction of the penalty.

Jack saw how much his father had aged after just a morning. So, he requested to be returned home instead of staying at the Medical Center. Money wasn’t something the Harper had to worry much about in the past, but now, every penny counted.

Ignoring Sophie’s plea, Jack sneaked home when his mother had to leave him to assist his father. He reckoned he could recover from this point onward using his own Maester knowledge.

To his surprise, he saw a confiscated manor.

Well, that was fast, Jack exclaimed.

Still, the truth in front of him was undeniable. The house had entered mortgage with a big wooden sign, on which was the seal of the town’s mayor and central bank, blocking the entrance. Abraham was taking stuff outside of the house when he saw Jack. He quickly ran to him and pulled the boy aside to avoid Sophie’s eyes.

“Do you have anywhere else to stay for the night?”

“Well, you and I are quick to agree on skipping the explaining part,” Jack smiled. “I can probably go to the library or the Sword in The Forge store.”

Abraham frowned, wondering why his son would have anything to do with that cranky crummy old man but ignored it anyway. 

“Just try not to let Sophie see you. I will come for you later. We have to find the other thief as soon as possible, like you said.”

Jack nodded and quickly left.

The rate at which things are transpiring worried Jack, for news about the incident might fall into the wrong ears. Jack wanted to do something right away, but in his current condition, he wouldn’t be able to act at night, let alone under the sunny daylight. 

Instead of going to the library or the forge, Jack went to the principal’s office. The recent disturbances had not given Meinhard any time to take care of himself. His hair was tangled like a crow’s nest, and his beard was growing to his neck.

“Jack,” the principal said, his eyes didn’t leave the paperwork on the table. “Glad you are back.”

“Thank you for helping my family.” Jack thanked him sincerely.

Through Sophie’s words, Jack had learned somewhat about how Meinhard had lobbied inside of his influence to give Abraham as much time as he could. If it hadn’t been for him, perhaps the Mocester guild wouldn’t have thought twice about using the teleportation gate to get here and made quick work of the Harper.

“It’s just my duty,” Meinhard waved his hand.

Seeing how busy his professor was, Jack didn’t want to bother the man too much. He sat, looking around, wishing for some time off of his own. With nothing else to do, he opened the item lists of Maester and Artificer.

After half an hour, Meinhard finally stretched his shoulder and waved the papers to fly away. Most of them were the names of exchanged students between the institutions, notably those who had passed the Koisine entrance exam.

Taking a sip of tea, the principal began the conversation.

“So, you weren’t able to do the ceremony.”

“I don’t think I need it now,” Jack smiled mischievously.

Meinhard frowned, feeling Jack’s presence suddenly become subtle. His aura was hidden, and his appearance, though still there, was as inconspicuous as it got.

Wait a minute, he exclaimed in his mind. Herald aura?

“How did you do that?” Meinhard was impressed.

Jack continued his show by creating a black flame and toying with it between his fingers.

“What did I tell you!” Jack said. “My potential is no less than that of Charlotte!”

“Black Flame?” Meinhard dropped the cup of tea in his hand.

The sound of broken ceramic didn’t bother the principal at all. He stepped forward, his eyes glued to the mesmerizing and enchanted fire.

“We Arcanist had always wondered how Black Flame was created. Its immediate effect might seem negligible at first, but its persistence was something mysterious and captivating for us.”

Jack bit his lips. He couldn’t just say all he had to do was wave his hand. The System had given him the knowledge, the mana manipulation, the operation method, and crucially, a unique connection to the mind of some distance presence to be able to use the skill. Even he himself couldn’t quite understand it.

“There are things I can’t say for now.”

“Oh, so this wasn’t from the Legacy Orb?” Meinhard smirked even more mischievously than Jack did.

Seeing he had been spilling the beans, Jack put out the fire and raised his hands, knowing he had done enough. Only now did the fact that he hadn’t yet retrieved the Legacy Orb return to him.

“Alright,” Meinhard returned to his seat. “I won’t scrutinize you no more. Still, let me see your real aura.”

Jack complied. His aura barely affected Meinhard but would put some pressure on a normal person. This had been the primary counterforce for him to be able to face the bandit.

“To be honest, I really don’t know how to praise it,” Meinhard exclaimed. “At this level, you may even get yourself promoted to Ovetin at the empire’s capital. So, do you need my introduction?” 

“Not right now. The Harper, I need to help them first.”

“What can you do as a Nightblade?”

“Let me show you.”

With a swift move, Jack drew from his inventory bracelet some substances, then cast Condensed Shot at Meinhard.

Though it was just a mixture to improve working performance, much like an energy drink, Meinhard still reacted with a defensive wind wall, followed by fire sparks that burnt away the rest of it in the air.

Not only was he astounded, but Meinhard also seemed rather thrilled.

“Anyone else knows you are dual factions?”

“Only Abraham, for now,” Jack wasn’t surprised by the principal reaction.

“Good, good,” Meinhard sighed in relief. “Then let’s keep that Maester cover.”

“I don’t intend on doing that,” Jack said.

“Why so?”

“Let me ask you this. Does the Corvus want to know if I’m a Nightblade or not?”

Meinhard nodded, grumbling.

Jack wasn’t sure, but he reckoned there were restrictions on this faction in this empire. If not, Meinhard wouldn’t have spent his time teaching Jack sp thoroughly about Arcanist the way he had. He must have wanted Jack to have a left-handed faction.

“Alright,” Jack continued. “Let's just say I will be of another faction publicly.”

Meinhard threw another stunned looked at Jack. Another one?

He could feel the enthusiasm and the growing hope that Jack might just be the one to keep his words brewing inside.

“So, you wanted me to be even more protective after all of these cards on the table?”

“Yes, especially with the Harper down and the butler no longer watching me. I think I had enough to convince you this time. I know this investment still has a long way to go, but we have a good shot at this, don’t you think?”

“I will put my pressure on the Hensley and send for someone to watch over you. The problem with the bandits and who’s behind them, though….”

Jack contemplated. He had been thinking about this a lot. To pull off a job like that right under the nose of the Merchant Guild required either a mentally unstable mind or some serious backing that could thwart away every opposition. On account of that alone, the Hensley was out of the question, not to mention the cost and planning necessary for everything to go smoothly.

Jack couldn’t wait to get his hand on Rat and squeeze out all the answers. The rest of them, though, he might have to give up on. If Abraham hadn’t been summoned so early, he and his father could have gone on a hunt. But now, as the news spread across Mocester, those behind the curtains must have been busied cutting off loose ends.

“We’ll deal with that later,” Jack said. “That’s also why I don’t want to go to Mocester just yet. I have to prepare myself better than this.”

He had to prepare himself so that Abraham and Sophie were no longer involved in any of this. They had just lost their home because of him.

After some exchange, Jack stood up and said he wanted to visit Bastian. Still, Meinhard’s curiosity was not yet satisfied as he called out to Jack.

“Which faction are you planning on using publicly?”

Jack raised his amputated left arm as a suggestion, waving it goodbye.

The principal stroke his beard. If it wasn’t Maester’s regeneration capability, then there was only one answer left.

“Artificer?” Meinhard exclaimed. It had been a while since the last time he had experienced this elated excitement.

14