Ch. 3: Nozomi – Part 1
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Good morning, Ayase! Are you ready for the aptitude test today?" - Was the first thing I heard in the school hallway that day. With the thud of a backpack on my back, I soon turned around and recognized Minori, my childhood friend.

"You know this is just another routine exam like all the others we've done, why should I be apprehensive about this one?" - I asked, still sleepy. Yawning and with one hand over my mouth, I could clearly see her disapproving of my attitude.

Ayaka Minori, 17 years old. Our families were neighbors before the alien invasion, so we've known each other since childhood. She is a girl with a positive attitude, despite the situation we live in, also the leader of our class. A role model for other students, both in grades and behavior.

"The upper echelon came personally to watch the tests today, don't you think it's something extraordinary?" - Her voice was a little shaky, indicating nervousness. "Actually, it's not common for them to come to check tests on simple students. Did you hear any professors saying something?" - Trying to get some information, I imagined that she as a class representative might know.

After a few seconds with her hand on chin, and looking with her brown eyes at the ceiling, she came up with an answer. "Professor Andrew said the other day that the general assigned to our region was setting up a security system around the school for a visit, but he didn't say what the purpose was."

Well, knowing or not about it wouldn't change what we were supposed to: do well. A random conversation took place between us on the way to the classroom, where we would have the first class of the day. Everyone was sleepy because of the schedule, but anyone sleeping in class would be punished. It was necessary to endure.

Our curriculum consisted of six subjects in the morning, every day: Moral and Civic Duty, Mathematics, Language and Military Codes, Survival Theory, First Aid and Combat Theory. Each class was one hour long and started at 6am. In the afternoon, combat and physical training took place from 1pm to 5pm.

But especially on that day, the afternoon routine would be replaced by the tests the military wanted. The representative of the Navy and Air Force also came to watch. The atmosphere was heavy and tense even among the teachers.

They were concerned about what would happen to the school and staff if students did not deliver the expected results. So much so that the director himself came to visit our class.

"Sorry for interrupting, but can I have a word with Ayase and Ayaka?" - He didn't even wait for the teacher's answer, just pointing at us and making a motion with his hands indicating to follow him.

"You are already aware of what will happen today, right?" - Even though he was trying to keep his composure and his voice steady, he was clasping his hands and wiggling his fingers. It was clear he was tense.

Walking down the hall beside him, the window to the training ground showed intense movement, as if they were assembling something. Several boxes bearing the logo of Hashford Military Industries, the main material supplier, were on site, some with the code N-001.

"Students will undergo a compatibility test with the new weapon developed by UNL." - He said it short and thick. The director was not a man of mincing words. "The soldiers with the most compatible profile failed to obtain the expected results. So they will try among the students."

It wasn't uncommon for students to be used in tasks regarding weaponry, such as testing prototypes and things similar. In a controlled environment like schools, it was possible to perform several tests and check functionality.

"You two are the only ones I have any hope of being capable of. The others lack the talent and effort you both possess." - It was rare for the principal to directly praise any of the students. Known as a rigid and demanding man, with the profile to lead a training center, such words carried enormous weight.

"So you and Ayaka will be the first two to take the test, and we're going to do it now. The machine's cortex has already been assembled, so let's not waste time." - As he finished his speech, a group of armed men led by General Hashford entered the corridor and escorted us. We didn't have time to respond, question or protest. And I doubt that we also had any decision-making power in this matter.

I entered the testing ground first. Everyone was standing there, watching me walk over to the pod where the control system was mounted. Tension was huge in the air, men in camouflage clothes and others in lab coats, all staring at me. It would be a lie to say that I didn't feel pressured by it myself.

Now was the time.

0