Ch. 4: Nozomi – Part 2
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Around me, all I could see were people in lab coats fiddling with dozens of computers connected to the booth they'd put me in. There was more data on the screens than I could keep track. In that moment, I understood that something wasn't right. This was no ordinary weapon.

"But what the hell is this thing?" - I wondered, since no one had told us what the equipment does in combat. A weapon has the sole purpose of killing, but how could a bunch of metal attached to other machines do that?

And well, maybe they saw what I was thinking from my expression. "You know what robotic humanoid invader models are, correct?" - A scientist who appeared to be the leader of the operation approached and proudly began to explain to me. It was hard for anyone not to have had contact with, so it was more of a rhetorical question than anything. They were probably the most feared assets of the invading armada, best equipped technologically and with terrifying firepower.

"Humanity was able to partially reproduce a few months ago the skeleton of a recovered enemy unit, and subsequent research on the coating material..." - The explanation went on for a while longer, although I didn't pay much attention. I didn't care what process they went through up to that point, since the soldiers were left with the duty of handling and fighting.

The smell of oil and the sound of electricity cutting through the wires was strong and intensified the closer we got. The men accompanying me didn't seem pleased, and both groups in lab gear and the other in camouflage clothes put their hands over their faces. General Hashford seemed especially troubled, especially since the assembly had been delegated to him, and that could represent a failure.

However, now knowing that they had relied on an enemy weapon for development, I already had the clear idea that it was a giant robot. A mecha, if you like. Huge metal structures controlled by one person and massive amounts of firepower. And they intended to find someone capable of piloting it at this school. "Anyway, enough chit-chatting. Be able to control this equipment or we'll cut off supplies from this college. We don't have the resources to spend with useless." - And the director didn't even dare answer. He knew it would be a waste of time after all.

Even without seeing her, I could feel Ayaka's tension. After all, she would also pass the test. At least one of us would need to succeed. The question is, what was the reason so many capable military personnel failed?

The reason became clear as soon as they opened the door for me.

"Hey, this is the Galatic Fighters 2000 interface?! I love this game!" - Ayaka exclaimed, before I could react. Even though she had stolen my surprise, my sight was still with me. "Why is a video game here?" - I asked. By the minute, things got even more confusing. I can't believe they made us go there for fun.

In the 30s, a technological revolution arrived in the arcades of the East: an improved VR experience that was able to connect with our cerebral cortex and pass even more sensations, increasing immersion in the game. Sight, smell, sounds and even the varied feelings we have when walking in different terrains and places, everything was reproduced. It was an absolute success. And needless to say, it was my favorite way to play before all this happened.

"The military could not get used to this toy. They reported nausea, dizziness and other impairments. The problem is, to control this machine correctly, we're going to need this kind of operator interface. Other types would slow down the reaction and make it an easy target." - Hashford explained. And indeed, older people were advised not to test the new technology as soon as it was released, as it put a lot of strain on the brain already weakened by age. And that explained why they had to look for someone who was capable among the students.

But with no time to ask questions, I was soon pulled into the testing chair. It was more comfortable than the one used in arcades. The controls were similar, except there were a few extra buttons and a direct connection line. They would certainly explain it to me later.
And something happened.

*Bew, bew* - Multiple alarms and sirens around the school and the city went off at the same time. "What the hell is happening?!" Hashford knew that could only mean one thing. An invasion. Men were running in all directions, preparing to fight and evacuate. But the General had other plans.

"You stay here, inside." - It was the last order I heard before the cabin was closed. And complete silence reigned, hearing only the beeps of the computers.

0