Chapter 6: Lost in Melody
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The melodious ticks of string invaded Aiden’s mind. The notes were light and soothing as it caress him. It felt like he could just get lost in those melodies, but alas his consciousness returning.

Slowly, Aiden begun to open his eyes lid. His head turned from the soft pillow he was lying to look at the source of the beautiful sound.

It was Dr Hermez, sitting on a chair besides an open window. The short curtain was fluttering about as the wind breeze into the spacious room. On his hands is a black wooden guitar. His nimble long fingers skilfully picked the strings as his eyes closed in a serene state.

Aiden stared at the older man as he got lost in those beautiful melodies again. Though the more he listens to it, the more the melody evoked a sense of familiarity to him. Aiden remembers now, he once caught Dr Hermez humming a tune when they first met. Is it the same melody tune?

But then realization came upon Aiden when the event of last night flashed his mind; a shadow-looking beast clawed its way to evocation. The ravenette shot straight from the mattress, and frantically looking at the unfamiliar place he was in.

“You’re awake?”

The melody also stopped as Dr Hermez stood up. The black guitar was placed by the side of the wall under the window.

“D-Dr Hermez?! Wha-what happened?!” inquired Aiden in urgency. He started to feel trepidation building inside.

“Seeing that you can shout, meaning that you’re okay. Thank goodness.” The lecturer heaved a relief sigh, then smile kindly. He pulled the chair near Aiden’s bed and sat on it. “I found you near the forest. It’s a good thing I decided to stay back and took a stroll in there.”

Aiden was too distraught to make mind of what the lecturer was saying. The last night encountered with the beast still leave a shiver down his spine. Though right now the memories become vague like it was only a dream. Did he really encounter a beast made from shadow, or it is all just a dream?

“What are you doing in that forest?”

That question snapped back the student from his thought.

Aiden immediately stammered, struggling to answer. “I-I.. I don’t.. Um..”

“Your clothes are dirtied, and there some scratches on it. Did you get attacked by a wild animal? Oh my, we had to inform the university’s administration about this.” Dr Hermez put a thoughtful finger on his chin as his brows knitted in concern.

“No!” Aiden shouted, before realizing it. He begun to stammer again. “I-I mean.. there’s nothing! Nothing! Really! I only.. took a walk! And I fell!”

Dr Hermez raised his brows at the usually compose student. It was actually kind of funny to see the normally stoic youth became a bumbling mess.

“I was walking around.. and I.. maybe hit a rock of something, and fell down. Sorry.. I don’t quite remember..” Aiden trailed as his hand cradled his forehead.

Everything in his mind was jumbling together. Should he tell Dr Hermez the truth? About his encounter with the shadow-looking hound? Will he believe him? But he will tell the administration about this. Then people will talk. People will say he lie. If the shadow-looking hound is even real? Or is it just another one of his dream? He might had really just been walking around and fell down- It’s not real- It’s just a dream-

“Okay, okay, calm down.” Hermez put his hand on the distraught young man’s head, and ruffled his hair. “Just rest for now.”

Strangely enough, Aiden felt his mind began to calm down. His eyes lid became heavy.

 

♬•°♩°•♪*✦*♪•°♩°•♬

 

Huh? The dream again?

I’m seem to be standing on top of a grassy hill, overlooking the outskirts of a town. The weather is great, the sky is blue, the windy breeze is soothing, the-

There someone standing at the edge of the hill, facing the town’s view.

The feminine figure have a long flowing wavy hair, with tattered hood robe hanging lowly by the sides of shoulders.

I don’t know why, but my feet walked toward that figure.

The figure suddenly turned towards me.

Who are you-?

The dream was cut off.

 

♬•°♩°•♪*✦*♪•°♩°•♬

 

“Here. Careful, it’s hot,” Hermez said as he handed a cup of tea to Aiden who already gone off the bed and was now sitting at the dining table. They already ate dinner together, which the lecturer had brought from the café outside.

Aiden didn’t know how many hours he slept, but it was probably for quite some time, because the shine from the outside earlier had turned dimly night. It’s really incredible for the lecturer, who also double as a warden, for taking care of him during all of this. But no doubt their interaction might be awkward after this.

“Sorry, for uh.. sleeping in.. and this shirt.”

It actually took Aiden sometimes to realize he was not wearing his hoodie and t-shirt anymore, but a slightly bigger t-shirt with wide round collar. It almost exposing his right shoulder. Thankfully the older man had the decency to not bother with his pants, or Aiden could never live this down.

“Haha, I don’t mind at all. Plus, that shirt actually suits you. You have an accentuate collarbone.”

Aiden blushed at the comment, pulling the collar to cover both his shoulders more.

The warm cup of tea heat up in his hand. He put the cup near his lips slowly. The aroma of the drinks invading his nostril. It was an herb tea, taste sweet with a bitter undertone.

“It’s.. good,” Aiden praised, as he sipped more.

“Really?” Hermez raised his own to sip, and then looked smug after to have made the brew. Does this mean he never try to brew this tea leaves before?

Aiden doesn’t bother to ask. He unassuming checking his phone. Thank goodness it was still in his pocket, though it must had turned off from the impact of his fall last night.

His phone screen immediately burst with many missed calls notification and messages upon turning on. No doubt most of it belong to his roommate.

Aiden could feel a headache coming with how he going to explained this situation. He should have never went into that forest again. All the things about that ‘incident’ should be throw out from his remembrance from now on.

The ravenette then took comfort in sipping the tea. His eyes caught sight of the guitar again, still left beside the now closed window.

“I took that instrument a year ago when I came here,” Hermez suddenly explained.

Aiden flushed a bit, he must had been staring for too long. Not to make it awkward, he decided to expand the conversation. “So, you self-taught?”

“Well, pretty much.”

“It is hard?”

“Not that hard if you put your effort in it.” The older man put down his tea and lend toward Aiden with a playful smile. “I know a few good songs.. I can serenade you anytime you want.”

Aiden didn’t know how to respond to that offer, so he just awkwardly chuckle.

“Now.. will you tell me why did you went into that forest?”

Aiden tensed at the sudden question. Apart of him wanted to tell the lecturer everything, but at the same time, he rather kept the reason for him going to the forest to himself. He also doubted that the lecturer would believe him.

“I.. I just took a walk.” It was a lame excuse, he knows. Nothing else come to mind. So he just reinstated the same excuses over and over again, and hope that the lecturer will eventually accept it.

Dr Hermez looks contemplated for a moment. “If you worry that I told the higher up about this-“

Knock! Knock! Knock!

A knocked on the door suddenly interrupted them.

Hermez went to opened it, and was greeted by the sight of an impatient student with olive-brown hair.

“Ah, Dr.. If Aiden here?” Articus asked without skipping a beat. He seems to be restless, and was trying to peer inside the room.

Without answering, Hermez just move to the side.

“Ai! There you are! I had been looking for you!” Articus quickly make way to the table for the young man.

“Articus, I’m fine.” Aiden made a muffle squeak when the older man grabbed him by the side.

“Where were you?! I have messaged and called you many times yesterday!” pressed Articus, his hands tightened around the ravenette’s shoulders, “Your phone was even turned off!”

Aiden gulped seeing the serious expression of his roommate. But he being so overdramatic. The ravenette quickly think a way out, amidst the hard stare boring his face.

“He’s with me last night and this whole day. I need help with the study plan and student’s documentation sections, and Aiden had lend me a hand.”

Aiden looked at the older man in surprised. Hermez just smile his usual smile and still talking.

“I just appointed him as my class’s assistant, you see-“

‘What?’ Aiden gawked inwardly. Since when-

“-Don’t worry about attendance. I will send a message to his today classes.”

“Really?” Articus seems to eat it up.  He turned to look at the ravenette again. I mean if the warden said so. Still.

“You could at least message me or pick up my call, Ai! I was so worried last night!” He still had the frantic look, but started to calm down now. “Thank goodness, Dr Hermez called me! Then again, you’re the one who supposed to call me!”

“I’m sorry,” was the only thing Aiden could said.

“Well, it’s okay. But next time, you had to inform me if you can’t go back to the dorm. I was so worry, thinking that you got kidnap by aliens or something!” The olive brown haired man now have a smile on his face, but then it crooked to the side with sweat pouring a little on his temple. “Also, remind me to apologize to Rivers..”

No doubt the older man had gone to see the Disciplinary Head. Aiden sighed inwardly. That one, also need an explanation the next morning.

“I think it’s fine now.” Aiden glanced at the gently smiling lecturer, before returning to Articus. “Let’s go back now.”

“Okay.” The man moved as Aiden stood up. By then he realize the low collared shirt Aiden had on. They had been roommate for years; of course he would recognize his friend’s attires. Moreover, this is Aiden, who doesn’t like wearing clothes like that. “Umm.. your shirt?”

“Oh, this?” Aiden started to stammered again, unconsciously pulling on the collar again.

“Oh, I forgot about your clothes. Wait here.” Dr Hermez saved him again. The older man went to the other room and brings out his previous clothes, folded neatly.

“Thank you.. I return this shirt back after I wash it.” Spoke Aiden, blushing a bit when taking his clothes back. This situation is awkwardly embarrassing to him.

“Just keep it. It suits you.”

“No, no, it’s okay. I will return it.”

“Haha, c’mon don’t be shy. Think of it as a souvenir.”

“Uh, no. I will return it.”

Aiden just keep getting redder, as the lecturer keep insisting. While Articus looked confuse between them.

“He was with me the whole day, so I gave him something to change,” The lecturer clarified upon seeing that confused face turn suspecting.

“Oh, really? But why didn’t you just go back to the dorm, Ai?”

“I guess.. I forgot.”

Articus gave him the small eyes.

“We got too caught out in the work. Uh.. I guess.. he forgot.”

Articus turned to give Dr Hermez the small eyes too.

“What is that work exactly? Can I get a detail-?”

“-Why did you keep asking question?! Are you my mother?! Is that it?! Let’s just go!” Aiden who had become annoyed, pushed the older man towards the door.

“But I’m just concern!” Yelped the older man as he was pushed outside.

Before Aiden could get out, Hermez had whispered something to his ears. “We keep it a secret. But promise me that you never venture to that forest again.”

Aiden nodded with gratitude, before pushing Articus out of the door.

 

♬•°♩°•♪*✦*♪•°♩°•♬

 

Aiden and Articus walked side by side under the bright moonlight. The night flurry of wind swept their clothes slightly; though neither of them was bother by it. The ravenette had worn his hoodie to keep his body from the cold gust of air.

“I’m quite surprise that you take on becoming a.. class’s assistant. I thought you hate associate with this kind of thing, Ai.”

“Huh? Oh, yeah. I.. just happened to be appointed and stuff.” Aiden was caught off guard with the sudden question. His mind reeling back to the lie that the lecturer made up. He just rolls with it.

Articus seems thoughtful for a second, but then his body make a sudden jerk like he saw a ghost, before resume calmly again.

A tall broad figure was waiting for them near the entrance of the Student’s Resident Houses, his back facing the wall.

Both Aiden and Articus immediately bristled in their mind.

Caelum was waiting for them. His eyebrows are furrowed, and his mouth turned downward. His dark brown eyes bearing spark in them.

Aiden and Articus kept walking. Not once have they turn their head towards the light blonde haired man. Only when they are about to cross the borders that Caelum stopped them.

“Where did you two come from?”

Aiden turned to speak, but Articus beat him to it, “Oh, Rivers, I didn’t see you there! What are you doing brooding infront of the gate this time of day?”

Caelum unfazed by the cherry tone, asked again, “Where did you two come from?”

“Oh, we just got back from the warden’s quarters, Dr Hermez’s room. We have business there. You can ask him if you want. Then again, why do you doubt us?” Articus spoke again. His hand on Aiden’s shoulder, trying to drag him away.

But before they could go any further, Caelum stood infront of them.

“Where did you go last night, Vyce?” His stern eyes were directed at Aiden. “It seems you caused quite a commotion with your sudden disappearance.”

Articus looked like he wanted to face palmed into oblivion. Bead of sweat pouring down his face on that last statement.

“I went to see Dr Hermez,” Aiden answered him.

Caelum clicked his tongue. “Tch, bullshit.”

“Feel free to ask him.”

“Where did you go before that?”

“I went to see Dr Hermez.”

“Quit repeating, cunt.”

“It’s true, bitch.”

Articus quickly jumped in before it become an insult competition.

“Look, Rivers. I apologize for accusing you and your committee members earlier. I was overacting. Aiden really went to see Dr Hermez, because he was helping him with class’s works. And you don’t deserve to be called, Mr. Shady Pillock McDouche. I’m very very sorry.”

Aiden had a mix of vex and veneration at Articus. It seems the older man had just caused a ruckus with his disappearance last night, and he wondered what other things he accused Caelum for.

Caelum still ignoring him. “Then, how come you been missing all day? You slept at his place or what?”

“.. Uh yes.” Aiden answered, which then followed by a long awkward silence.

“You.. Since when did you became a teacher’s pet? Did Mr Prez here has finally rubbed on you?” Caelum asked, his intimidating tone gone, replace with a genuine astonishment.

“Ayy, that’s a harsh slander.” Although said with a playful tone, Articus eyes dropped into a glare. He took offence to that. He was not a lecturer’s sucker like most people expected an influential student’s member to be like. He earned the position himself.

While Aiden just rolled his eyes, not bothering to retort. He dragged Articus by the arm, and they quickly went inside their house.

Caelum just stared at their backs, then towards the night outside. He bore an unreadable face.

 

♬•°♩°•♪*✦*♪•°♩°•♬

 

At the same time, two shady figures were standing with great balance on top of an avian gargoyle statue at the Sparrowking’s Administration’s building. Both have black hood that covered partial of their face and hair. Under the moonlight, they almost looked like gargoyles themselves, staring intensely on the new surrounding they were in.

Gems of blue eyes looked as though he was scanning the whole area. “So this is it.. The world that she had been reincarnated into,” He spoke with a hint of melancholy.

Gush of wind blowing the top of their head, revealing the two witches, Weiss and Sol. Both of them peering solemnly from above, taking the environment that was different than they were in, all the while trying to sense the fragrance of mist that slowly seeping away, as though not wanting to be found.

“We really do need them,” uttered Weiss.

0