Chapter 15: The Sage.
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As usual, the other two were talking to each other while I did my pull-ups. Apparently that’s the name from the otherworld. The name I called it was Mezhilu, but whatever. 

 

It wasn’t easy, exercising everyday. It would always be hard going against your instinct of sloth. However, this is how you discipline yourself. Not being able to control one’s primal desires indicates one’s own control of power. 

 

To be powerful, is to be disciplined. That’s what I believe. Afterall, one who is drunk on their power cannot possibly understand their own weakness to supplement it. 

 

Once I was done with my pull-ups, I then started my daily run. It was also just as important. Every part of my, no our, body needed attention to become better. Effort put in daily is what allows us to become better. You can’t expect to become good with just a day or two of effort.

 

That was when the girl showed up in front of me, “Vira!”

 

[Agh... Can one of you two handle her?]

 

[It’s fine I’ll talk to her.]

 

Ah my otherworldly-body-mate! 

 

“What happened Stella?”

 

“I wanna learn to fight! Please teach me!”

 

[Sage... I think it’s your time to shine now!]

 

[You damn traitor! You know that I can’t speak to children!]

 

Even though I was the oldest out of all of us, and even though I had warred against an entire continent. Even so, I was not good at speaking with children. It was because whenever I talked with them, they’d get scared and start crying. So I never talk to children. And with how preoccupied I was, I had no time for love or a family. 

 

Regardless, I’d gladly teach her. But first I needed to know something.

 

“Why do you want to learn?”

 

And without hesitation she answered, “Because I want to protect our family!”

 

“Good~! That’s the type of reason you need!”

 

“Hm!” She nodded her head heavily and she looked excited, honestly I don’t think I’ve seen this girl excited when I talk.

 

“Anyway little girl, to begin with, how about you try and keep up with me?”

 

“Huh? With your exercises?”

 

“Yes! If you’re able to keep up with me, I’ll start teaching you.”

 

“But... is it okay if I do it slowly..?” Damn, I didn’t think those eyes would be so effective. Usually I’d beat my students into shape, but I’ll have to be a bit more kind.  O-of course that’s only because she needs practice.

 

[You totally think of her as a granddaughter... Don’t you?]

 

This damn forty year old! 

 

[Yep. For sure uncle. He’s actually a weakling inside, hehe.]

 

[Can’t you two shut up?!]

 

[Yeah, yeah. Sure.]

 

[Su~re, grandpa.]

 

Damn these two... Now they’ll keep on using this to attack me emotionally.

 

“Yes, little girl. It’s fine if you do it slowly and catch up.”

 

“Okay! I’ll do my best” is what she said... But seeing this. I think it’ll take a few more months for her to even do a quarter of my routine. Although, for her age and her level of activity, I can definitely say she’s pushing herself to do this. Which means her will is greater than her body. Which is good.

 

In training and fighting, there’s something more important than technique, strength or speed. It’s will. If one doesn’t have the will power and necessary confidence to do something, then regardless of their strength, they will be weaker. 

 

She’s someone who has the will to get through anything, well, mostly anything. So there’s no need to interfere with her for that. But I’ll still have to figure out a way to make sure she’s strong in her own abilities. After all, our body is naturally adaptable to everything, and I know that through studying our body. 

 

But for the girl, it doesn’t seem like she’s going to be adept at strength training. But there’s something that she does show promise in... It was running. She was 1/8ths our speed. And that’s a lot. With training, she can surpass our speed in running, I’m sure. 

 

[I just don’t know what type of sword arts to teach her...]

 

[Hmm... Well, what’s she good at?]

 

Otherworlder? Oh right, perhaps he could help me with a choice of sword arts.

 

[From what I see, she’s not apt for heavy swords, and probably has to rely on light weapons... And she’s quick on her feet.]

 

[Then... What about fencing?]

 

[Fencing?]

 

[Mhm. It’s what I learned when I had free time. It’s pretty cool.]

 

[And how do I look at this fencing?]

 

[Oh. I didn’t think about that.]

 

[You really are an airheaded idiot.]

 

[I don’t wanna hear that from your mouth. All you do everyday is keep on running and exercising, have some fun or something, I don’t know.]

 

[It is fun.]

 

[Well, aside from that... How do I show you..?]

 

He started rubbing his temples and suddenly something flashed into my mind. This... was fencing.

 

[Hey do that again.]

 

[What again?]

 

[How would I know?! Think or something!]

 

[Aghh! Fine!]

 

And suddenly more and more came into my mind. Every move, I could see everything. The weaknesses of this art... It seemed to be made for killing, but they made it weaker? Is it perhaps for entertainment? Well, no matter, I’ll supplement all of the moves with mankari.

 

[Woah... Dang I never thought I could share my memories like this...]

 

[Heh, nice work otherworlder. With this, I’ll be able to learn fencing in no time.]

 

“Little girl, since you’re tired for today. How about you go rest?”

 

“Okay vira!” This girl had the right attitude when learning from me. She had discipline but she didn’t hide her excitement to learn. 

 

[Also sage... I think it’s time we called each other something other than ‘sage’ and ‘otherworlder’. Also, don’t you have an old name?]

 

[You aren’t wrong there... And I do, but I hate that name.]

 

[But I’m garbage at coming up with names... And I don’t think you’re any better.]

 

[Me?! The great sage?! Bad at giving names?! Actually, you aren’t wrong. Fine. I’ll concede for now.]

 

[You know what, not like we have much of a choice. We’ll just continue.]

 

Soon, I went through the otherworlder’s memories and found a few more fighting styles, one known as karate, and another known as boxing. Integrating them into Mankari. I had now made another style that focused on speed and technique rather than strength and explosiveness. I called this style, Narunkari. This is what I’d be teaching the girl. After All this is a style made for someone like her. I couldn’t use this style to its full capacity, even if I wanted to.

 

And right as me and the otherworlder felt proud of the things we had done today, Vira said, “Uncle, you guys couldn’t see each others’ memories before? I thought you were able to see.”

 

If he can access my memories without any problem. Does that mean he’s seen my... I don’t want to think about this. Even though I didn’t really care much, the otherworlder’s face was stricken with shock, his eyes were wide, and his mouth open, he seemed like he’d seen a ghost. 

0