Chapter 17: End of the Beginning.
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One year has passed since Stella’s birthday. Even if Stella had run away from her home, her shadow would always chase her. And that shadow would catch her sooner than she ever thought. That shadow was her father Dominic Vialum Araitner, a tyrant known to bathe in blood and dance with his sword ー “The Murderous Bastard”.

 

Stella and her newfound family were unbeknownst to this, however when the devil comes knocking at your door, you have no choice but to let it in.

 

Araitner arrived with a royal decree to the Tanykrovus family. They announced to the baron, “Hand over the girl or face the wrath of Araitner’s might!”

 

In the end, none of them knew what to do. Vira was at a loss for words, and the other two weren’t any better. A solemn atmosphere clouded the house. They had a week to submit the girl, under which case, they’d be spared, if not, they would be destroyed along with their territory. Afterall could a baron defy his majesty?

 

One of the knights of the Araitner entered the household, he said, “Where’s the baron?”

 

“I’m right here.”

 

“To think that the princess would be with... you people.

 

Mavirar, Vira’s father, simply clenched his teeth. He couldn’t afford to say anything right now. A man who has everything to lose will not make rash decisions.

 

“Yes, we took care of her.”

 

“If it wasn’t for the decree... I would’ve cut you open already... Ugh, what to do.” The man’s face contorted. He looked at Vira and Mavirar with disgust.

 

This was the first time that Vira had faced such a facet of people. Till now, he had never faced this feeling, this burning sensation in his heart, this pain of... discrimination.

 

Mavira simply signaled Vira to go back to his room.

 

“I’d like to speak with the princess in private.” The knight said. Stella came out of her room and spoke with the man outside, however when she’d come back in, her face didn’t contain an ounce of the happiness it once held.

 

Three days passed and the fourth night began. The night was particularly chilly today. Vira was on his bed, he knew that he couldn’t do anything. That he was powerless against an entire nation. Even though he didn’t want her to be taken, Stella had already said to him, “I want to go back, Vira.” 

 

Vira couldn’t say anything back. As Vira simply stared down at his feet, Stella sat upon the bed in front of him. He didn’t say anything and simply looked into her eyes, an immense sadness.

 

The two simply stared into each other’s eyes as the embers of the torch upon the wall floated in the air. The sound of the wind outside captured them. 

 

Stella’s eyes teared up at the realization that this would be the last day that they’d see each other, that Stella would now go back to the kingdom that once entrapped her, that she’d lose her one real family forever.

 

Uncle and the sage didn’t talk to Stella after the decree’s announcement. They knew full well that this situation was no longer in their hands.

 

Vira shouted in a desperate attempt, “Let’s run away!”

 

His voice shuddered and his cheeks were wet. “They’re just bluffing! They wouldn’t do anything!”

 

Stella simply smiled, not one of happiness but sadness. She knew that Vira was simply grasping at straws for her. But that made her happy.

 

“Vira... I have to go.”

 

“Please... P-please... P-P-Please! Don’t leave!”

 

She simply put her finger on his lips signifying him not to speak anymore. As the stars shone behind them, in a moment’s silence, Stella’s lips touched Vira’s.

 

Vira closed his eyes, he knew that this wouldn’t last. But the pain from it wasn’t any less. He knew that Stella would one day have to return and that all these days would just become another page in the past. That she wouldn’t be able to be with him as he once thought he could.

 

Vira’s tears didn’t subside, the pain in his heart only grew.

 

“I love you vira... Goodbye.”

 

Stella, before he could even say a word, left.

 

The baron and baroness simply cried, the two of them hugged Stella and kissed her on the forehead as they watched her leave their home.

 

Just as a passing wind, she was now gone.

So that marks the end of volume 1. That also marks the end of daily updates! ╥﹏╥ Aside from that though, by the time this chapter is up, I should be done with volume 2. Which means there'll be no downtime! (Although the readers on RoyalRoad have been waiting a while (。﹏。))

 

Thank you for reading this far. Hope you enjoy more of the story.

0