Chapter 36 “First Strike”
1.3k 3 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bullet went through Owen's chest, a sight that William would have never expected to happen. He then made his way over to where Owen was lying on the ground, hobbling from the stab wound.

William thought he could hang onto Owen's body until the backup arrived because he was desperate to locate any indications of life or hope for his first friend in the Foundation.

The wound was deep, and a lot of blood was pouring out of his body. He wasn't immediately killed by the bullet, but it was clear that he would have lost too much blood eventually.

There wasn't much energy left within Owen's body, seeing that William was next to him. He raised his hand and touched William's shoulder with the last ounce of his energy left.

"You should go. There is still time for you to live out your life." said Owen in a low voice.

Knowing that Owen was still alive, William replied instantly, "What are you talking about? I'm not going to leave you here. I'm going to take full responsibility for taking care of you."

Owen chuckled for a moment, "I've said it to you before. Shit happens when you work in this field of work."

He coughed a few times and then continued, "No need for you to take responsibility for what happened to me. He will kill me sooner or later since I'm no longer needed."

William made an effort to apply pressure to the cut so that the blood wouldn't flow out of Owen's body as his health continued to deteriorate. But it appears that it was useless for him.

Keith was standing in front of the vault, which had fully opened, with his gaze fixed on the items inside. He didn't even glance at them before beginning to move toward it.

William turned to face Keith, who had entered the vault; he was fully aware that the information pertaining to SCP-582 was inside, and it was his responsibility to protect it so that the Chaos Insurgency couldn't obtain it.

Seeing his look, Owen asked him, "Dr. Erik told you to stop the Chaos Insurgency from obtaining what's inside, isn't it?"

William didn't look at Owen, but he kept his gaze toward the vault where Keith was already inside. The Chaos Insurgency might have won this time, and SCP-582 has fallen into their hands.

"Stop him, continue my duty that hadn't been fully fulfilled this time. That's why you are here, right?" Owen's voice became quieter and quieter. There wasn't much time left for him.

"William, you are our only hope."

With that, Owen's hand that had been resting on William's shoulder had fallen. He was gone. Owen used his last breath to say his last words to him, encouraging William to take action.

William took a deep breath and then closed his eyes. His first friend in the Foundation was Owen, and over the course of a few days, they did a lot of things together. The last thing he wanted to witness was the death of his own friend.

With his fingers, he closed Owen's eyes and laid him on the floor. He was able to stand up without any difficulties because the wound on his body had fully healed.

His thoughts were clear at this very moment. He had to prevent Keith from learning any information about SCP-582 and avenge Owen with his own hand. William began to charge at Keith without wasting any more time.

Keith looked back as he heard steps were coming at him and saw that William was running at him at full speed. Keith was dumbfounded from what he had seen, and at this time, he wasn't going to hold back.

"You are so stubborn, aren't you, kiddo? If that's what you want, then so be it."

With that, Keith took a stance and was prepared to strike William as soon as he came within his range. As he prepared to attack William with all of his might, he noticed his fierce face.

He was startled by what he saw as he saw William was holding something in his hand. William began to throw the knife he used to stab him in his direction. It was a surprise attack that he hid it from Keith's vision.

Keith instantly realized about it and managed to dodge the knife that was thrown at him, and it was close to hitting it. But then, the next thing he saw was a fist coming at him at full speed.

It was a hit. William's knuckle managed to pummel Keith's face with all his might and force from running at full speed. Keith was knocked a few meters from it and fell to his knees as he took the blow.

Keith wasn't angry about it. He smiled. Using the knife he had used before, William was able to distract him and hit him in the face. He had to give him credit for being able to accomplish that with his opening strike.

However, he also became aware that the knife he used to stab William was deep enough to cause injury and blood loss. But he didn't appear injured and was in good health.

He then noticed that the wound on William's body had entirely healed, which prompted him to believe that because William was an SCP, this might be one of his anomalous abilities.

Keith then stood up and cleaned the blood that was on his mouth, "Not bad, kiddo. For a person like you, it was pretty good for a first strike."

"You too, it seemed that you are strong enough not to be dazed by a punch in the face. I guess that is what I would have expected from someone coming from the Chaos Insurgency." replied William as he raised his fist, ready to strike him with another punch.

Keith began pointing his revolver toward him as soon as he finished speaking by taking it out of his pocket. William was a little bit in a predicament at this moment because he had nothing against a ranged weapon.

Keith started to toss his gun far outside the vault after flipping the revolver backward. Leaving him with nothing but his bare hands, and he began to position himself in a fighting stance.

"It would be cowardice for me to fight you, an unarmed fellow, with a gun because it wasn't a fair fight." He moved one of his feet forward, "And with that, I'll do the honor of fighting you with only both of my hands."

Seemingly that Keith was ready to fight him in a fist fight, William was prepared to make the first move. Keith suddenly appeared from behind just as he was about to take the first step.

"You should've been more aware of your surroundings." Keith then punched William on the back.

35