24. Heric
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Heric searched.

It was almost evening, the heavy clouds occulting the remaining sunlight, offering only hints of dappled greys and muted pinks. They were following a trail. It would its way through the forest until they came to a narrow ravine, the roar of a gushing river echoing off its walls. A ledge cut its way along one side, leading them up higher until Heric  could just see the waterfall ahead.  The mine site lay somewhere ahead.  

They had been lucky.  The incident at the ford could have resulted in disaster, but it had ultimately saved them hours. Perhaps as much as a day.  

Despite having never visited the site before, Ifonsa had led them almost up to the backdoor of the mine, guided only by Heric’s memories from his last journey here during the earliest days of the War of Liberation.  Heric had been barely more than a boy then.  It was one of his first missions under Sir Helmund.  

Imperial troops had been sent to guard the mines.  The Empire didn’t want the rebels accessing to the valuable iron. 

Sir Helmund had been tasked with removing the imperial threat, and ultimately reopen the mines.  His solution was brilliant, as usual.  He had personally questioned all the Wombourne miners he could find.  Those that had escaped the Imperial purge.  He paid them handsomely for the information they provided, even a small crumb was valuable.  In this way Sir Helmund found what he was seeking.

On the other hand, the Imperial Troops had been stationed within the fort at Attenbach.  They weren’t locals, but recruited from within the Empire.  Most could barely speak the language. 

They had forced marched to the mines over five days (quite a feat).  However, their captain was lazy, who had only achieved his commission because he was a distant relative to the five families, and not due to ability.  As a result they made the barest of preparations, employing minimal fortifications.  

Consequently, Sir Helmund’s men caught the Imperials completely by surprise.  They hadn’t even considered they could be attacked from the East. It had resulted in a rout. One of the rebellion’s earliest victories.

Heric had cut down three men that night.  His first kills. Their faces still haunted his dreams some nights.  Now just three amongst a gathering crowd of ghostly visages.

“I don’t understand,” Lera whispered to Falduin as they rode.  

The wizard had fully recovered, apart from the vast number of scratches he had gouged across his own body.  He had refused to talk about what had happened, other than to say that he had made a mistake.  He had even been reluctant to discuss matters with Lera, but her enthusiasm had broken through his stern resolve.  Apparently she had had a revelation of some sort.  Heric wasn’t certain of the specifics.

“I could sense three sources,” Lera added.

“Just use the Essence,” Falduin said. “The other two are too weak.”

“What if they’re not.  What if they’re just different.”

“I’ve been doing this for years.  Trust me.  Others have tried.  Only the Elfs have managed to tap the second one.”

“Is that the white or black one?”

“You can see them?” Falduin asked astounded.

Lera nodded. “In my mind they appear as reddish-yellow for what you call the Essence.  The other two are white and black.  The black one is smaller, and feels very old.”

Falduin sighed, “In less than a week you have exceeded what took me years to learn.”

“Your knowledge and ability is still far superior, Falduin.  Perhaps it is just that I was taught differently from you.  That our perceptions are divergent.”

“I am still flabbergasted you have cast a spell without any preparation, and not only lived to tell but succeeded in remedying my affliction.  You almost make me believe you are touched by The Gods, Lera.”

Lera smiled, “If I am, then they have sent you to be my guide.”

Heric spotted the cave ahead. This is where Sir Helmund had led them.  Their base for the assault.  It would be so again this night.

Heric drew rein and dismounted.  He crept towards its wide-open mouth.  The cave was only shallow.  Even in the remaining light he could see its rear wall.  It would serve to keep them and the horses dry, should it rain (which looked likely).  A quick look revealed that nothing had taken up residence within it in the intervening years.  There appeared to be nothing but animal tracks nearby.  He would need Ifonsa to check to be certain.

He had feared that the bandits might have used it to house their sentries.  Perhaps he was getting ahead of himself.  He only suspected the bandits were established at the mine.  Still he expected some guards, even if it was just to ward off goblin raiding parties.  Unlike the Imperials, any sentries would certainly be watching this eastern route.

“Corral the horses in the cave.  We’ll leave them saddled,” he told the others, as he returned to his mount.

Rianio looked at him expectantly.

“Sorry, big fella,” Heric told him. “We need you kitted up in case we need to leave in a hurry.”

The horse snorted and stamped his foot.  He didn’t like that at all.

“Is that likely?” Orwic asked approaching.

“I won’t know until I’ve had a look,” Heric said.

“But it’s definitely a possibility?”

“In The Wilds it’s always a possibility.  We need to be prepared.”

“An eagle,” Lera said, staring upwards.  

They all peered at the dark sky, looking for the bird.  However all Heric could see was the clouds, hanging ominously above them.

“I can’t see it,” Heric admitted.

“Neither can I.” Ifonsa said.

“It is a very good sign,” Lera said. “Úlæ will look favourably upon our cause this night.”

“I hope so,” Heric said, although in his heart he still had many doubts.

 

Later, they were gathered in a circle, eating a lacklustre evening meal in the dark. Outside the cave, it had begun to drizzle. 

“Some of you are wondering why I have dragged you so far into the wilds,” Heric began. “Others of you have your  suspicions,” he indicated Falduin, “Or have just made exceedingly good guesses.” He indicated Ifonsa.

“It was obvious once I thought about it,” Ifonsa quipped.

“Are you going to tell us, or do we have to guess?” Orwic snapped.

“We are here to rescue someone.  We’re here to rescue Princess Tegalie, daughter of Baron Milardus, grand-daughter of the King.”

There were a hundred questions asked all at once: how, why, what, who, and when?  This is what Heric truly dreaded.  He didn’t have all, or even many, of the answers. He held up his hands, and they eventually quietened.

“Most of my information came from, or has been confirmed by, Rido.  It’s all I have.  I believe it.  It is for you to make up your own minds.” he told them. “The Princess went missing more than a fortnight ago. It might have occurred days before, but that is when it was noticed.”

“Date?” Lera asked.

“Eighth.”

Lera nodded, “Same day as the storm.”

Heric nodded, then continued, ”Nothing was said officially.  Business in The Castle went on as usual, as though the Princess was about, yet unseen.  However, Rido noticed that the Baron had become suddenly withdrawn, as though he was greatly distressed.  Rido said The Baron had not been like that since the early days of the War of Liberation.”

“It could be anything,” Orwic said, dismissively.

Heric nodded, “It could,” he agreed. “But one of Rido’s agents reported seeing Tegalie in Harnsey about the same time she went missing.  She was bound upstream.”  Heric held Orwic’s gaze.

“Burha?” Orwic asked.

Heric nodded, “Were you with her then?”

“No,” Orwic said, looking to the ground. “I didn’t get arrowed until the sixteenth.”

“I’m confused. Was she kidnapped or did she go freely?” Falduin asked.

“Did she go alone?” Lera asked.

“Burha said she was alone,” Heric said, “She was dressed as a common woman.”

“That’s...brave,” Ganthe commented.

“Ordinarily yes, but I have been assured that the Princess is quite capable of defending herself.”

“Still brave.”

“How old is she?” Falduin asked.

“Sixteen,” Heric said.

Falduin nodded to Ganthe, “Very, very brave.”

“What’s the plan?” Ifonsa asked, getting straight to the point.

“Ganthe and I sneak in.  See if we can find her.  If she’s there, we rescue her.  The rest of you cover our escape.”

Ifonsa nodded, “Straightforward.”

“Hold on,” Lera said, “What if she doesn’t want to be rescued? She went there willingly. You’re just going to appear and steal her away.  Just like that?”

“Rido provided a token that will identify us.”

“Does she know you?”

“We’ve met.  I doubt she’d remember though.”

“What if she’s not there?” Orwic asked.

“Heric, this is never going to work,” Lera said.

“I agree with Lera,” Falduin said. 

Heric took a breath, as the argument began.

They argued for nearly half-an-hour.  Every time it truly got heated, Heric would hush them, lest they alert anyone, or anything, nearby.  Fortunately the drizzle had become a heavy rain, and likely drowned out any voices.   Ifonsa would alert him if she heard any movement outside.  She remained near the entrance, serving as a sentry.

Heric’s original plan was deficient, he already knew that.  He had been working on such little information, but both Lera and Falduin spelt out how truly disastrous it could turn.  Orwic too had issues with it.

“What if she doesn’t want to leave?” Lera demanded. “Are you going to kidnap her?”

“Screaming all the way,” Falduin added.

“You could try stunning her with a rap on the head, but you’re just as likely to kill her.”

“Leaving a nice blood trail for the enemy to follow.”

“I doubt Rido, let alone The Baron or King, will be especially happy with her half-dead.”

“Or all dead.” 

“What makes you certain she’s even here?” Orwic added.

“She must be here,” Ifonsa said.  “Rido’s information is always good.  Where else could she be?”

“Pryleah.  Why would she go up to the mines?  Perhaps Burha was wrong and it wasn’t her.  She only got a brief look.” The doubts flowed from Orwic like a torrent of water. “Perhaps....perhaps, she’s Stuska.”

Ganthe shook his head, “Too old.”

“Magic can age you quickly if you misuse it,” Falduin said.

“See!  See!” Orwic said, as he stood.  He indicated Falduin. “He might have already killed The Princess and just not realised.  Nobody here, but you,” he pointed to Heric, “knows what she looks like.  We could have passed her on the street and none of us would even know.  This is pointless.  And dangerous. If you follow him you’re all a bunch of fools.”

And with that, Orwic left the cave.

Lera broke the stunned silence, “He’s not entirely wrong.”

“I know,” Heric said, his head lowered.

“Why did we have to leave town like we did?” Ganthe asked.

“Covertly?” Heric asked.

Ganthe nodded.

“Rido advised it,” Heric said. “I suspect he had more information about the matter than he provided.  Perhaps he got word of the bandits, but didn’t wish to scare me away.  He was quite desperate.”

“Why wouldn’t the Baron send out his troops to find his daughter?” Lera asked.

“That I do not know.  From all reports I’ve heard, the Baron and the Princess are not especially close.”

“But still...”

Heric nodded.

“So, we know nothing,” Falduin said. “I’m inclined to follow Orwic out into the rain.”

“Come on!” Ifonsa pleaded. “During the wars, we rarely had more information than this before a mission. We invented. We adjusted. We prevailed.”

“But you were seeking to end lives, nor preserve one,” Lera said.

“No.  Once my sister and I had to sneak in to Hladun  to rescue Lady Wendru.”

“I didn’t know that,” Heric said.

Ifonsa nodded, “That situation was far more dire than this one,” she told Lera. “There were goblins everywhere in the town, and we had no idea where the Baroness was hiding. If not for Adanna’s hunch we never would have found her.”

“One of these days I would like to meet this sister of yours,” Falduin quipped.

Lera placed her hand upon Falduin’s and shook her head, a warning not to pursue the thought.

“So, what’s the plan?” Ganthe asked.

 

Orwic was sheltering under an overhang further up the trail when Heric emerged from the cave.  The rain poured down, and the overhang did little to prevent Orwic from becoming drenched.  He could hear the man mumbling to himself, still fuming about what had happened.

“Orwic,” Heric cried, and he waved him over.

Orwic returned solemnly, and even more drenched.

“You didn’t need to leave,” Heric told him.

“Where else am I supposed to go?  I don’t know where I am,“ he snapped.  “Plus, you didn’t need to wait this long to tell me.”

Heric nodded in agreement. “We’ve decided,” he said.

“And you expect me to go along, regardless?”

“No.  I expect you to wait here, and care for the horses.”

Orwic snorted.

“Would you rather I order you to come along?” Heric asked.

“I’d rather you didn’t order me at all.  Or better yet, forget this fool’s errand and we all head back to Milardus.”

“I can’t do that.”

“Then I will wait here, as ordered.  And in the morning, when you don’t return, I will ride away back home, if I can find it.  I will even look after your big grey, although I expect just feeding him will make me a pauper.”

“I’d appreciate that.  Thank you.”

Orwic snorted again.

0