Chapter 32: The trace
319 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Bonus chapter for reaching 200 followers on SH and 400 on Royalroad!

The next morning, Lucien went about his business as usual. He didn't forget to thank the invisible fairy for its hard work as it even managed to clean and iron his laundry. Something he was still amazed about. 

Lucien didn't consider himself to be a heavy sleeper, but even so, he failed to catch a glimpse of the fairy. Still, considering it refused to show itself before him, Lucien decided to leave the matter to rest for now. 

After eating breakfast, Lucien changed his clothes to leave the bookstore a bit earlier in the morning. He was running low on groceries and so a trip to the local supermarket was required. The weather outside looked cloudy ad quite gloomy, so Lucien donned his heavy coat and top hat to cover his head.   

Before leaving, he turned to glance at Moon who was lazing on top of the counter, and spoke: 

"Behave. I'll be right back and I'll bring you back some snacks." 

Moon's ears perked up at the mention of snacks, but she still tried to maintain her indifferent attitude. Lucien chuckled at that and locked the door behind him. The sudden cold breeze made him shiver. 

"Damn it, why is it so cold?" He grumbled and quickly made his way to the supermarket. 

*****

Inside a certain forest was an old rundown mansion. The old weathered manor looked to be abandoned from the outside. After so much time, the home had discovered the company of weeds, trees, and flora. 

The interior, however, was well maintained. Long red carpets were placed along the hallways, with expensive-looking furniture decorating the entire place. Still, even with the well-designed interior, a solemn heavy mood seemed to be looming in the old manor. 

Two pale lanky figures could be seen hurrying down one of the many hallways. The creatures lacked a head and their facial features were instead on their chest. They wore no clothing and had no distinctive private parts. 

The figures quickly stopped when they reached an open living room with a grand piano in the middle. A strange and equally pale creature was seated there, its thin long fingers caressed the piano keys ever so gently. 

The bizarre creature had no eyes and no hair. Two large goat horns with strange carvings curved backward from its temples. It was dressed in an old victorian suit, looking almost comical. 

The two headless monsters approached it and bowed. The creature seemed to pay them no heed as it continued to stroke the piano keys. 

"We have picked a trace." One of the headless monsters spoke in a shrill voice.  

The creature's hand paused as it turned its head to the monsters, almost as if it could see them before it asked in a deep voice: 

"Are you sure?" 

"Yes, we would never mistake the lord's aura." The second monster was the one to reply, its voice identical to the other. 

"Ah, how long has it been? Is it truly you my lord?" The creature's voice softened as an unnatural smile stretched across its face revealing rows of sharp obsidian teeth. A dangerous aura gathered around the creature as it covered its face.  

After a few seconds, the strange demon-like creature turned its head to the monsters and asked: 

"Where was the trace from?" 

Both monsters answered simultaneously: 

"Holden!" 

***** 

Meanwhile, back in Holden, Lucien was leisurely making his way back to the bookstore. The weather cleared out a bit which confused him since it was so gloomy just a couple of hours ago. 

Still, he wasn't complaining. With his groceries in one hand, Lucien used the other to grab his phone and dial Estrea's number. 

After a few rings, her charming voice finally replied: 

"Good morning." 

"Morning, Estrea. I hope I didn't wake you up?" 

She chuckled and answered: 

"Oh, I wish. It's been a while since I've last slept in." 

"Busy schedule I reckon?" 

"Yes. There have been a few disappearances on the outskirts, and so the Council is cracking down on most of the 'unorthodox' rogue groups." 

"I see, that doesn't sound good." 

"It isn't, but hey, the Hermits survived two Council purges, we'll be fine."

"I hope so. Well, if push comes to shove, you can always come crash in place, you know, to lay low..." Lucien joked. 

Estrea laughed and asked: 

"Oh? And I guess you will be doing this out of the goodness of your heart, Mr. Lucien? No ulterior motives?" 

"Of course! What do you think I am, some sort of monster?" Lucien answered with a feigned hurt tone.

"Haha, maybe you are and this is your master plan in luring poor me into your evil lair." 

"That sounds ridiculous, but if it'll get you to come then I'll take it." Lucien shook his head with a smile. 

"We'll see."

"Well, since you are still not keen on visiting me, do you think I can drop by your training ground soon?" 

"Ah, of course. Like I told you before, you're always welcome. Will 8 pm tonight work for you?" 

"Can we do 9? I still have the bookstore to attend to." 

"Sure, then I'll see you later, Mr. Lucien." 

"Bye!" 

 

*****

Back in the bookstore, Lucien moved directly to the kitchen and placed his groceries down on the small kitchen table, and was about to start putting everything in its place when a pack of cookies slipped and fell under the table. 

Lucien kneeled to get it when a pale hand appeared abruptly, It grabbed the pack of cookies and handed it to him. Lucien caught it and thanked the fairy subconsciously before the realization set in. 

He tried to stand up, only to hit his head on the table causing him to hiss in pain. 

"Ouch, damn it!" 

Once he stood up, Lucien scanned his surroundings only to find no signs of the fairy. He gently patted his hand, his face wincing in pain before a sigh escaped his lips. 

'This is not good for my heart.' Lucien inwardly mumbled. He was about to resume setting his groceries only to pause in shock. They were not there anymore. 

His eyes darted about and he quickly moved to open the fridge door. There most of the groceries were neatly placed inside. Lucien then moved to open another cabinet where everything was already settled.

"But how?" He couldn't help but ask. His eyes glanced at the pack of cookies in his hands before he sighed once again. 

"Okay then, I guess more cookies for you." 

17