Chapter 37: The Lord
364 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Kindly consider leaving a review and rating if you like the story, and don’t forget to add it to your library!

The day proceeded smoothly after that. Lucien ended up ordering a few books that needed to be restocked from the usual places his grandpa got them. He then used posted a few pictures to the bookstore's social media pages in an attempt at drawing more traffic. 

A few customers dropped by after Anna left and by the time it was closing hours, Lucien locked the door and drew the blinds before he grabbed the instructions of the spell left behind by Anna. 

He was unable to hold back his excitement any longer. Lucien quickly settled in the chair behind the counter and closed his eyes in an attempt to follow the instructions. Although he was able to 'see' the mana particles, Lucien was curious if he would be able to sense them. 

To his surprise, however, he couldn't. Without the visual aid, Lucien found it impossible to draw the mana particles to his body. A frown quickly drew across his face as he opened his eyes. 

"That's weird," He mumbled to himself. Moon was sitting by his side with a strange look on her face as she watched the entire ordeal.

Lucien tried it a couple more times, yet the result was always the same. Even when he tried to follow the instructions, nothing happened. 

He quickly mumbled the incantation for Tajajiht and snapped his finger causing a small flame to appear. 

"I can still use magic normally," He muttered and snapped his fingers again making the flame disappear before he continued: "But why can't I use this one though?" 

His hand subconsciously moved to pet Moon, who didn't mind. Lucien then stood up and ran upstairs to bring the magical book using Imer, along with Ian's spell before he made his way back downstairs. 

Lucien then tried again to draw the mana particles toward him, this time with his eyes open. The mana followed his will, yet when he followed the flow in the instructions to activate the spell, nothing happened. The mana particles circulated inside his body and then seeped out as if nothing happened.

"Why!" Confused, Lucien scratched his head with both hands in annoyance. 

He then tried again, only to fail once more. Taking a deep breath, Lucien proceeded to cast most of the spells he learned, and tried to compare the flow of mana with that of Anna's summoning spell. 

The flow between the two was fundamentally different. The spells in the magical book seemed to make the mana particles follow a pattern that spread across his entire body before Lucien had to circulate it to his hands or another body part that would act as a medium for me him to cast the spell.

When It came to the orthodox spells from the rogues and the council; the entire process was focused on drawing mana to their hearts, which effectively strengthened them before they used the incantation and appropriate hand gestures to cast the spell.

The main difference was that the spells he was familiar with forced Lucien to gather mana in certain areas of his entire body, while the Orthodox spells focused on the heart only. 

"Maybe it's because of this?" Lucien wondered. 

He was about to try Anna's spell one more time to study the changes in mana when the butler fairy suddenly appeared by his side. Lucien raised his brows in surprise and asked subconsciously: 

"Do you want some more cookies?" 

The fairy lowered its head and replied; 

"Please be mindful of your stature my Lord. Do not dabble in the inferior methods of the mortals." 

"Huh?" Lucien's eyes widened in shock as the fairy's sweet voice surprised him. 

"Wait, wait, wait! What do you mean inferior methods? And what Lord? And mortals? I think you are missing something." 

The fairy retained its poker face and replied; 

"You are the old Lord’s successor, and last in the family line. So you are the Lord.” 

“Grandpa?” Lucien asked. He already knew that his old pop was not a normal mage, but he never quite understood just how much. 

The fairy simply nodded and took a step back. 

“Wait! What do you know about grandpa? And what did mean when you said, mortals? The implications of that is—“ 

The butler fairy lowered its head and replied; 

“It is exactly as I said my Lord. You should not lower his stature and use the inferior methods of the lower races.” 

Confused, Lucien answered hesitantly; 

“But, I am human as well?” 

The butler fairy slowly raised its head and glanced at Lucien with its sharp grey eyes before it spoke in a slow, sweet tone; 

“Please do not lump yourself in the same category as the mortals, my Lord.” 

Lucien fell silent at the butler fairy’s reply. He wavered for a few seconds before he asked again: 

“Then, what am I?” 

The butler fairy raised its head, its eyes locked with Lucien’s, and for a second it looked as if the fairy saw something it shouldn’t. It quickly lowered its gaze and answered: 

“I am afraid I don’t have the right to answer that, my Lord.” 

“Huh, what does that mean? Why not?” 

The fairy remained silent with its head lowered. 

Lucien frowned, his mind still in turmoil as he ordered;

“You said I’m your Lord. Then, in that case, I order you to tell me, what am I?” 

The butler fairy gave him a deep bow and answered; 

“I apologize, but I cannot go against the old Lord’s order.” 

“My grandpa again? He didn’t want you to tell me? But why?” Lucien lowered his gaze and mumbled. By the time he raised his head, the fairy was already gone. 

Lucien slumped back on the chair behind the counter, with countless thoughts swirling through his mind. It was not an everyday occurrence where a magical butler fairy shakes your whole world view and tells you that you are not a human being. 

Moon jumped over to his lap and meowed, causing him to start scratching her back deep in thought. 

“But I feel... Human? It can’t be, right?”

Confused, Lucien raised one hand close to his face and studied it. The small knife scar on his palm from when he tried to help his grandpa in the kitchen was still there. Lucien rubbed it with his thumb deep in thought as he tried to recall scenes from his past. 

He couldn’t remember a single incident dent that could prove that he was not human, except for when he used that first spell and saw that terrifying creature in the abyss. 

A shiver ran down his spine as Lucien quickly shook his head and tried not to think about it. 

“Just why did you not tell me anything, grandpa?” 

13