Chapter 38: Uninvited guest
374 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night darkened as the hours passed. Heavy rain spattered on the window outside the bookstore. The water on the road almost reached the door. 

The lights inside the bookstore were still on and emitted a warm light in the darkness. Mixed with the wooden shelves and books, it gave off a cozy atmosphere.

Lucien who was seated behind the counter glanced at the cup of coffee placed in front of him. A pleasant aroma exuded from it. A sigh escaped his lips as he grabbed the cup and pulled a small chair using Imer next to the window before he sat down. His gaze was distant as he watched the night outside. 

The glass reflected his thin figure and messy dark hair. As the heat from the coffee subsided, he took a sip. The taste was as great as always. The fairy sure knew how to make coffee. The aroma lingered in his nose as he lowered the cup. Another sigh escaped his mouth. 

It was already past the time he usually went to bed, but, Lucien was not in the mood to sleep yet. The fairy refused to show itself no matter how many times he called or ordered it. It only briefly appeared before him to place the cup of coffee on the counter and disappeared as fast as it came. 

Lucien's mind was still in turmoil, as he took another sip. He didn't know how to feel, or what to feel for that matter. He didn't know if there was any truth to what the butler fairy told him either. 

'Not a human.' 

Shaking his head, Lucien leaned back on the shelf behind him and glanced at the ceiling. The sound of crystal raindrops falling was very soothing. He always loved the rain. Some people found such weather to be depressing, but he preferred it over bright sunny days. It was cozy. 

Closing his eyes, Lucien tightened his grip on the cup of coffee, the heat warming his cold hands. He stayed like that for a few seconds, unmoving when a sudden flash of lightning illuminated the bookstore. He opened his eyes just in time as the thunder rumbled in the sky. 

The rain intensified outside with no people in sight. Using Imer, Lucien turned off the light plunging the bookstore into darkness. Another flash of lightning brightened the world, followed by the boom of thunder. Lucien, however, remained unmoving. 

A part of him felt betrayed. It was like he never knew his grandfather, never knew the real him. With all the secrets he kept from him, just what was real and what was fake? What about his parents? Were they really dead? 

Then there was the question of why he never told him anything. Why did he wait until he died to leave that book behind? What's the point? 

"What do you want me to do, grandpa?" Lucien mumbled in uncertainty. 

He took another sip of the warm coffee and rubbed his eyes. The feeling of drowsiness started to catch up with him. Shaking his head, Lucien lazily stood up and lowered the blinds before he made his way upstairs. Moon was already sleeping on the floor next to the bed. 

Lucien then quickly changed to his pajamas and brushed his teeth before he made his way to the bed. It did not take long after that for him to slip into the land of dreams. 

The pale butler fairy silently appeared by the side of the bed, it grabbed the empty cup of coffee Lucien placed by his nightstand and gave him a deep bow. 

"Sweet dreams, my Lord." It then silently disappeared.

***** 

On another side of the city, inside an old abandoned house, a strange pale creature was facing two headless monsters. The creature's long thin fingers caressed its bald head and gently scratched its two large goat horns before it adjusted the old Victorian suit it wore. 

"I believe I told you to just scout the area," It said in a grave tone. Although the creature had no eyes, the headless monsters dared not look at it directly. They lowered themselves and the first one replied: 

"We couldn't help ourselves." 

The second monster continued after him: 

"The Lord's aura was calling us." 

The horned monster took a deep breath and asked;

"And yet you say you didn't even see the Lord." 

Both of the headless monsters answered at the same time: 

"No."

"This small guard, you say. How strong is it exactly?" The creature asked again, as it moved closer to the monsters. Its long fingers caressed their regrown limbs with its sharp nails drawing blood. 

The monsters did not react and instead remained steady. The creature then licked the blood clean off its nails. 

"We were unable to move." 

"Unable to resist." 

"Strong."

"Very strong." 

The monsters responded one after the other causing the creature to nod. 

"I see. It looks like I'll have to head over there and check by myself. Especially if the Lord is there." The creature mumbled the last part under its breath as it struggled to contain its aura. 

*****

The next day, Lucien woke up a little bit earlier. His mood was still not the best, so he decided to take a warm shower to clear his mind. After that, he made his way to the kitchen, only to find a lavish breakfast waiting for him. 

Moon seemed satisfied as it gnawed on a piece of meat by the table. Lucien subconsciously thanked the fairy and ate. After he finished, he changed his clothes into a jogging outfit and threw on a jacket before he left. 

As soon as he did, the butler fairy appeared by the door. It glanced out of the window at Lucien's departing figure before a sigh escaped its mouth. 

"I hope you were right about this, my Lord..." Saying that the fairy turned around and glanced at Moon who was sitting on top of the counter. 

"We will be having some uninvited guests soon. Go and keep an eye on the Lord." 

Moon meowed and licked its paw with no intention of going. The fairy shook its head and continued: 

"You know I'm the one making your food, right?" 

Hearing the word food, Moon's eyes lit up as it quickly hopped off the counter and ran out. The fairy snapped its finger causing the door to open, sending Moon off, it then snapped its fingers again closing it. 

"Now, let's see who dares to disrespect the Lord's orders."  

 

14