03: Extroverts…. Oh No…
7k 38 310
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bus had dropped them off in front of what could only be described as a fortress. A sprawling complex of buildings, all gleaming bright white with blue highlights under the sun. However, even with the large windows that lined the futuristic-looking buildings, the number of armed guards and the official procedures taking place made this place only seem like a government building or a military fortress... or both?

Walking up to the building, Songmei could only think maybe it was both, they’d take the test and anyone who was good enough would instantly be kidnapped into a sect, that’s the secret yep. 

In actuality though, spread across every major city was one of these testing centers, with everyone getting a different time spread across about a week. The time, in the end, didn’t really matter though, it was just a way to keep things organized, test times were given based on the area of the city you lived in. 

Yet, of course, certain test times would have media swarming over them, test times that might have a descendent from some famous cultivators, sects, or family clans. 

Songmei however, remembering back to the teacher at the school recounting how he was in the same group as one of the now famous cultivators, couldn’t help but lament, ‘There’s literally not a single media person... not one at all. I think I could count more suns in the sky than media personnel... and there’s only a single sun...’

Her thoughts keeping her occupied as she filed into a sprawling auditorium, Songmei was jolted out of her thinking as she bumped into the person in front of her. Making a quick apology, Songmei looked around the area, finding a place where no one was sitting. 

“HELLOOOOOO EVERYONE!” 

Lamenting the sudden loss of her hearing and all of her future hearing capabilities, Songmei’s attention was directed to a raised podium in the center of the auditorium that now held an apologetic-looking man. 

“So... I’m a cultivator from the nearby alliance. First of all, sorry I didn’t think it’d be that loud...”

“However! I’m here to tell you about how it’ll go today!” 

“First, there’s a team of staff going around, RIGHT NOW! These staff will, based on your name, give you a number. Then, when we call a range of numbers, these people will go towards their designated test site! You can find the corridors leading to them spread out around you!” 

Swiveling her head, Songmei did see several parts of the web-like walls fold outward, forming corridors towards other places. 

“Other than that though, feel free to hang out! Talk to your friends, talk to some strangers and make some friends, there’s not much to do really... However, since you’ll be spending all day here, we will be providing breakfast shortly, and then lunch later! You’ll be out before dinner I assure you, so have fun!” 

With a bright smile that seemed to illuminate the auditorium, the man raised his hand, snapped his fingers, and disappeared in a shower of yellow leaves. 

‘Hot damn...’ 

Stunned, Songmei along with everyone else in the auditorium almost forgot the contents of the cultivator’s words, instead, everyone was in awe of the cultivator’s mystical technique... that could be theirs! This was the place where dreams were made or shattered. 

Pressing her hands together, Songmei’s eyebrows furrowed as she began to pray, ‘Please... if there’s anyone looking down on me... actually there are a lot of those, I’m poor, but in the other way, if there’s anyone looking down on me, please give me some talent, I just want a nice house, tasty food, and more than a single drawer’s worth of clothing...’

Her eyes opened after she felt... absolutely nothing, from her small prayer to... absolutely nothing, Songmei found an open space near a wall, sitting against it while preparing to spend the day bored out of her mind. 

‘I should’ve brought a book... though I only have three and I’ve memorized them all cover to cover...’

Fighting the urge to fall asleep—she knew that if she fell asleep she’d miss the one of the team members who were handing out numbers along with the free breakfast—Songmei sat against the wall, admiring the exquisite architecture that the hall was made of. 

“Heeeeey~” 

Poke. 

Poke. Poke. 

“You’re alone too, why don’t we talk and become friends!” 

... 

Why. 

Did her prayer instead send a curse towards her?

Turning towards the source of the voice and pokes, Songmei, with dead eyes, was greeted with a girl with deep blue hair... and bright golden eyes flecked with ruby-like dots. 

Putting on a small smile, Songmei looked into the girl’s eyes once more, only to have a strange feeling blossom in her heart, one that she couldn’t quite name. 

‘Those eyes are definitely not normal. Let’s just be polite, not too cold and not too eager. Don’t be too cold, you can talk to people Songmei!’ 

“Hello.”

‘Fuck.’

As the single word left her mouth, Songmei felt the urge to throw up blood, composing herself before trying again. “Hi, nice to meet you, what’s your name?” 

A smile blossoming on the girl’s face, taking her already attractive looks to another level, the girl introduced herself in an excited whisper, careful not to draw the attention of anyone around her, “I’m Yan Mingqing, nice to meet you! What’s your name? Something told me you were a nice person, and also you were sitting alone so I decided to come talk! I love talking to people just... I don’t get the chance to talk to many people...” 

Touching her ear a few times to make sure it hadn’t fallen off from the stream of words, Songmei introduced herself while beginning to lament the situation she had gotten herself into (she really was doing a lot of lamenting these days). “I’m Lin Songmei, nice to meet you too. Why don’t you get to talk to people much? I feel like approaching a stranger during this time where everyone is stressed isn’t the best way to socialize...” 

“Well you see...” Mingqing began in a hushed tone, leaning into Songmei’s ear to whisper, “I’m actually the second child of the direct lineage of the Kunpeng clan...” 

Stiffening up hearing Mingqing’s confession, Songmei once more began to lament the situation she was in, if Mingqing was telling the truth, this was someone Songmei couldn’t offend. 

‘It went from annoying extrovert to the child of one of the richest people in the world, and one of the most powerful clans in the world... Is this good or bad... is my luck dog excrement or pure gold...’

Thanks for reading~!! Please leave a comment~!!

hmm... some reason, my author instincts are telling me Yan Mingqing is an important character...
Who knows, maybe i'm dreaming

ehhh probably ammmm yeahhhh

I started drawing again which is funnnn uh... yeah. Also, on discord, I think I'll start posting some pictures for various book places, like what kinda i used as reference images, and then also doing some explanations on character names since... yeah... they're a lot of effort T~T

join if you want to learn more yeah!! bonus content lmfao free dlc

Thanks for reading~!!
Take care all you reader peoples!! <3

310