30: Online Dating With Cultivation Techniques
3.7k 20 210
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After recovering from her shock, Lin Songmei proceeded as normal, making some light conversation as everyone got to know each other. With a warm atmosphere permeating the room, Elder Zhang Qiushan brought out a little device. 

The device, resembling a crystal ball, was attached to a sleek, solid black case. Inside the crystal ball, there seemed to be something similar to fog or mist swirling around. 

Other than the crystal ball, Elder Zhang also grabbed two files, copies of Lin Songmei and Yan Mingqing’s cultivation test results. 

“I want to say both of these results are very impressive,” Elder Zhang murmured with a smile, putting the two files down on the table. “So the procedure isn’t too complicated. As you two have already started to learn how to cultivate, just insert some Qi into the crystal ball and it’ll reveal a... general direction one could say, that you would be suited for in cultivation. Sounds good?” 

““Sounds good””

“Alright then, who’d like to go first?” Elder Zhang asked, pushing the crystal ball towards Songmei and Mingqing. 

Waving towards Mingqing, Songmei leaned back, sinking into the soft couch as Mingqing leaned forward. 

“I’ll go first, I just... put my hand on the crystal ball, right?” Mingqing clarified while reaching out to touch the crystal ball. “Reminds me of the aptitude test.” 

Nodding to confirm Mingqing’s earlier question, Elder Zhang chuckled, shrugging as Mingqing began to insert Qi into the crystal ball. “It does seem similar to the aptitude test that’s been introduced in recent years. Sadly, I started cultivating long before the test was introduced.” 

As the mist-like substance in the crystal ball began to swirl faster and faster, Mingqing began to make conversation with the Elder. “The new aptitude test was introduced about 80 years ago, so it’s understandable that someone as esteemed as you didn’t use it. What do you think of it though?” 

Songmei was impressed! She was just sitting there being a wet noodle, yet Mingqing was showing her pro-ability to talk to important people! You go, Mingqing! Amazing social skills, unparalleled! Heaven shattering young mistress! 

If only those social skills could be used for people other than those who fit the strict criteria of “Will probably never or barely see them again” as well as “Much older and much higher in seniority.” 

A true shame... 

As the conversation continued though, Songmei sat back up, listening to Elder Zhang’s praises towards the new system as the swirling in the crystal ball slowed down, revealing a microcosm of a starry sky above a tranquil, frozen sea. 

Silence. 

With the room falling silent, everyone paid attention to the stabilizing scene within the crystal ball. 

“I see...” Elder Zhang murmured, noting down as many characteristics as he could before giving a small wave to let Mingqing remove her hand from the ball. “You may or may not know this Yan Mingqing, but your brother’s scene was quite different from yours... Interesting indeed.” 

Speaking up for the first time in a while, Liu Xueli pointed towards Mingqing’s file that was laid out on the low table between Elder Zhang and the two disciples. “It’s probably because of this isn’t it?” 

Sitting there watching Mingqing’s changing expressions, eventually settling back onto the ever-comfortable ice queen expression, Songmei couldn’t help but chuckle inside. 

Songmei was just as lost as Mingqing!

Probably more!

If Mingqing was like a traveler who had lost their way, Songmei was the dead body on the side of the road that had gotten mauled by hyenas.

Knowing that it... definitely, no matter what, was not her place to ask, Songmei kept silent and let Mingqing ask the questions about her own situation. “So... I see that you’re pointing to the physique section. What about it? As people part of the direct lineage of the Kunpeng clan... my brother and I both have the Kunpeng Heavenly physique...” 

Mingqing had what now?

Maybe Songmei wasn’t a lucky or talented person... There was Miss “heavenly physique” next to her after all... 

Not that she would complain at all, Mingqing was one of her few friends. Moreover, it was always good to have lucky people around you, more luck never hurt anyone. 

Taking over for Elder Zhang, as she was more familiar with Mingqing’s file, Xueli surmised, “You both have the Kunpeng physique, but your brother’s leans towards the Kun, while yours leans towards the Peng. The Kunpeng is made up of two animals after all, so it's understandable how this happens.” 

“I... see,” Mingqing murmured before nodding a few times, scooting over to let Songmei touch the crystal ball. 

Boop. 

Poking the crystal ball, Songmei began to channel Qi into the now misty crystal ball. 

Swirl. 

Taking a look at the crystal ball, Songmei made some light conversation until the mist began to settle. 

Songmei hoped, with all her heart, that it didn’t settle into like... the scene of an orphanage or the scene of a garbage dump... 

After a while though, the mist settled, revealing a scene of verdant nature. However, the soaring trees and lumbering animals were all made of iridescent, colorful crystals. 

It was pretty, Songmei would admit that any day... but... 

Isn’t this the sect known for their water related stuff? This... doesn’t seem very water-related. 

That seems a little problematic... 

“Don’t worry, it’ll be fine,” Mingqing’s voice interjected as she patted Songmei’s leg, putting a stop to Songmei’s train of thought. 

Resting her hand against Mingqing’s, Songmei murmured a quiet thank you as Elder Zhang continued, moving onto the next step, pulling out two tablets for the two of them. 

“Alright, that was very good, you two. Thank you for cooperating,” Elder Zhang reassured with a gentle, perfect old-man smile, handing two tablets to the two of them. “On these two sheets of paper, I wrote down some important characteristics that I saw. With these characteristics, feel free to look through our catalog of cultivation techniques.”

“Overall,” Elder Zhang continued, sliding the two pieces of paper in front of Mingqing and Songmei, “For the both of you, as you are direct disciples, I don’t think you need to cultivate the sect’s main art. It’s been simplified a touch so that people of all talents within the sect can cultivate it. For you, Yan Mingqing, I’d recommend an adjacent art, probably something that blends the stars with ice. While for you, Lin Songmei, I’d recommend looking for the crystal-related arts.” 

“Also, don’t forget,” Xueli added with a gentle smile, “Both Elder Zhang and I are here to help you two make the decision. No need to drown yourself in it.” 

Giving their thanks, Songmei and Mingqing began to browse the catalog, looking for their future marriage partner-... future overarching cultivation art. 

The database was... nice. From the little about tab, Songmei saw that the database was a subset of the database that could be accessed in the lobby of the Divine Repository. Elder Zhang had already filtered it so there were only main cultivation arts and no individual techniques. 

There were... a lot though. 

Filtering by the recommended guidelines that Elder Zhang gave, Songmei still had about 20 cultivation arts to look through. 

... It kinda felt like online shopping... 

And so... she began to scroll. Clicking on an art would expand it, giving a brief explanation on what it focused on, along with some other key information points on the art itself. 

Elder Zhang even made a short personal comment on each art! Each, and every single one!

... How much time did this old man have... 

There must’ve been hundreds, if not thousands of arts in the database!

Just a second ago, Mingqing let out a long sigh, and looking over, Songmei could see that she had a little over 150 arts to look through!

Rest in peace... 

A relaxed chapterrr
uhmm... yeah...
Honestly, was in a bit of a rut creatively so i decided to only write a half chapter today...
also been dealing wiith a bad headache all day...

future talk though...
I'm currently like... 2 weeks ahead, so that'll last a little bit in the school year, but I don't know how much I'll be able to write during it, I really want to, but its hard...
Beyond that though, I might also take a break to edit past chapters, since I was like... not liking the 2 dimensionalness of my characters... However, whenever I post a chapter, I'll make sure to let people know if I edited any past chapters already posted
yeah...
Life is hard... School starts the day after tomorrow...(scheduling this the night of the 23rd)
T~T

Take care though reader friends~
I hope you all are enjoying and stick around <3

210