Starting…
569 7 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a town somewhere at Russia. Inside a dilapidated house, hidden under the covers of debris, was a damaged Doll. It laid on its side, completely unmoving like a corpse that is just waiting to return to the earth. 

However. Despite its corpse like behavior, it was still alive. It's life was signified by the thick power cable with glowing lines connected to its back, and the incredibly faint light leaking from its closed eyelids. 

But even with the signs of survival, it remains completely still and unmoving. The day went by with nothing happening. 

The next day had come and gone without anything happening, the faint glow of the light leaking from their eyes also hasn't changed.

The day after that had also come and gone, and the same thing happened to the next. This unchanging cycle keeps repeating until many weeks has passed and the season starts to change. The air grew colder, the trees starts to shed its leaves, and the daylight hours grew shorter in exchange for the longer nighttime.

It was only at this time that something finally changed. The previously faint light in it's eye was now glowing stronger than before. Although it was still faint, if one was to take a closer look at it, it was still discernible in the dark room.

[Reactor has reached suitable levels…]

[Main Core Initiating System Checks…]

[All Systems Checked…]

[Damages to Mainframe… Minimal…]

[Initiating Low Power Mode…]

It's finger twitched ever so slightly, so small that it was enough to make one think that it was just a hallucination, a mere trick of the eye. But to prove that it wasn't just a hallucination, the same finger twitched again before it's whole hand slowly came to a close, clawing at the dusty tiled floor. The action wiping the thick dust off the floor onto it's delicate slim fingers.

The Doll didn't do anything for a few seconds as it remains completely still before it finally opened it's right eye slowly. 

The first thing it saw was complete darkness before it saw it's own hands after it's optics readjusted to the low light levels.

Her single eye slowly looked around, scanning its surroundings. Seeing that she were under some debris, she put some power into her limbs to lift the thick slabs of wood and other objects on top of her. It's arms churning as it put more power into her push, in turn draining a lot more energy from her already meager power reserves.

The debris clattering as it was pushed aside, kicking up dust to the air upon impact.

The Doll sat up from where she lays and scanned her surroundings. Looking around, it seems that she were inside a bedroom of sorts since the wooden slabs covering her turned out to be a closet and the drawers was filled with other articles of clothing. She ignored the scattered clothes that was spilled when the closet was flipped over, and focused her senses in search of activity. After hearing nothing approach to check up on the noise she generated, she judged that there is no signs of life in a 25 meter area.

Next. She tried sending short radio waves in an attempt to reach any other Dolls or humans with radio equipment in a 300 meter wide radius, it's power reserves decreasing further as it waited for any sort of acknowledgement to her calls. After a few hours of absolute silence, she turned off her radio to conserve power.

After that, she finally looked down upon her body to check her own state. 

What first came to view that stood out the most was her severed left leg. The entire foot up to the shins was missing entirely, and even a quick search of her surroundings shows no signs of the missing left foot anywhere. Analyzing the damage a little closer. It looked as though the left foot was ripped right off after being hit by a blunted sharp object multiple times. The sight of ripped artificial skin and dented metal was enough to tell what the unknown assailant did to take her leg.

Next was her arms. She raised both hands in front of her, checking their mobility as the muscle fibers flexes. Immediately, she could feel the left hand's wrist was having trouble in twisting and turning. While the fingers themselves are fine, it was only the wrist that was having problems.

Seeing that it was only a minor damage that could be easily ignored, she went to check on the left optic. Feeling her left eye with her right hand, she could already tell that it was damaged severely. But, unable to assess whether it would still be functional, she activated it.

Immediately after turning it on, half of her view was distorted like looking through shattered glass. Seeing that it would be more hazardous to operate with an impaired vision, she quickly cut the feed from the left optic. While its a shame that she couldn't have a full 200° field of view, she could barely see anything out of her left eye but static that flickers in her field of vision from time to time. So there isn't much of a demerit to having a single eye.

After checking her physical condition, she looked out of the window. The orange wilting leaves was enough to tell it that it was fall and winter was not that far. While she couldn't tell what the exact date is, being able to know the season was good enough.

The Doll mulled over her next course of action, taking into consideration about her own condition. Thankfully, her pain receptors are off right now, otherwise she would have some trouble trying to think clearly.

After thinking for some time. The Doll came to the conclusion that until winter has passed, she would return back to Hibernation Mode to store more power and to pass the winter since it was unsuitable to scavenge and travel around in such a harsh season.

While its true that the cold weather wouldn't effect the Dolls themselves, traveling with little to no supply while missing a leg in a snowy weather is just asking to become scrap metal buried under several feet of snow.

And so, the Doll crawled for the most suitable place to hibernate closest to them. The closet.

After dragging herself towards the closet and climbing inside it, she closed the doors and buried herself under the pile of clothes and curled into a fetus position.

Looking out from the small seam left open for the power cable, she watches the leaves fall and dance under the winds grace before closing her eyes. Her digimind slowly shutting down all of her sensory faculties before darkness lulls her into a deep sleep.

22