Chapter 69: Leviathan’s hunting grounds.
151 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ying Feixu kept her eyes on Huang Ying's back as the two left the cave, inquisitively observing him. He had yet to even mention anything resembling a plan so she had no idea what he had in mind when it came to Xing Shue Yong's inevitable attack. But by going over what she had seen from him so far she wouldn't be surprised if his plan really was just a downright suicidal battle where he tried to rely on his law of devouring to stay afloat.

But if that was really what he was planning, then there was no way that Ying Feixu would let him really go through with it. His life belonged to her, only she had the right to kill him. The moment it looked like he would lose, she would just break all his limbs and drag him away by force, then she'd either let him heal and keep training her, or she'd just kill him then and there to finally have her revenge.

Huang Ying wasn't bothered by Ying Feixu's piercing gaze, he was already more than used to her cold gaze stabbing into him. He quickly retraced his steps until he reached the corpses of the first guards, which had remained untouched thanks to Hei Ya and Hong Yi. He grabbed onto the legs of the remaining corpse that had gotten its head split into several bits, the other one had been devoured to heal his minor wound earlier.

He dragged the corpse out to the cave entrance and dumped it on the other two headless corpses, turning his head slightly. Song Yi and Chen Hong had already dropped down and brought the two flying chariots with them, glancing into the cave opening. They had heard the echoing screams that came from within and seen the middle-aged man leave just a few seconds ago, but neither of them chose to ask about it as there wasn't really a point in doing so.

Hong Yi hopped around on Hei Ya's head while looking excitedly and hungrily at the three corpses that had been stacked up. But Huang Ying had to put a damper on her excitement and tap her on the head, forbidding her from gorging herself since he had a use for the corpses. Chen Hong came over while Huang Ying was stopping Hong Yi, swiping his interspatial ring and bringing out the steel chariot that Huang Ying had left behind.

"You ought to be a bit more careful next time you just leave it, it'll just plummet to the ground if everyone jumps off without bringing it along."

They might be able to fly on their own if you insert Spirit Stones into their array, but they were after all just mindless constructions, they still needed to actually be controlled. Huang Ying put the chariot away with a wave of his hand, glancing past Chen Hong as he spoke in a low voice only the two of them could hear.

"When you get my signal, use your chariot to fly into the sky and catch what I throw to you."

Chen Hong's eyes flashed slightly, he could guess what Huang Ying was planning on throwing to him by where Huang Ying was looking. But as to why he would throw her at him, he had no idea since Huang Ying hadn't said anything about his plans. And looking at him now, part of the reason he hadn't said anything about his plans might be because he had never planned on letting him and Song Yi take part in them.

It was a rather bitter thought, but Chen Hong still nodded his head, Huang Ying definitely had some reason to exclude them. Huang Ying flashed Chen Hong a slight smile and then grabbed onto two of the corpses, using his chin to gesture to Ying Feixu that she should grab onto the last one. Once she picked up the corpse after some unwillingness, Huang Ying flashed them all a slightly wicked grin.

"Alright, it's already too late for any of us to leave. Just follow me and keep running."

He turned around the moment he finished his words and started jogging deeper into the forest, the corpses creating a thin trail of blood behind him. The others had no idea what was running through his mind and could only start jogging after him.

Huang Ying maintained a casual pace but seemed to run without a concrete target in mind, he'd suddenly move in an arched manner or just change direction on a dime. And as was to be expected when you dragged bloody corpses through a forest housing Demonic beasts, they quickly attracted a great deal of attention and were assaulted by a hungry Demonic beast.

But Huang Ying simply grinned at the beast and dropped the two corpses, quickly decimating the leopard-shaped beast with bone-spikes jutting out of its shoulders. He grabbed onto the tail of the fresh corpse and started dragging it along instead of the corpses, which he left to Song Yi and Chen Hong.

More and more sounds started to come from the forest around them as the increasingly strong stench of blood attracted more Demonic beasts, resulting in more and more beasts attacking them. But they had yet to venture too deep into the forest so the Demonic beasts weren't terribly strong, resulting in them all getting decimated in short order.

And each time a beast was butchered, Huang Ying started to drag it along, either switching out the corpse or just using some earthen spikes to nail the corpses together. More and more corpses were gathered around them, luring in more and more beasts as they ran deeper into the forest. And after they had run for a little over an hour, the corners of Huang Ying's lips curved up, his gaze sweeping the surroundings as he maintained his pace.

"Tell me, Shue Yong, is it a family thing to scurry around like that? Xing Dong hid in the same manner before I killed him, did he perhaps learn it from you? Well, he didn't have quite as many people as you so it seems like you're more skilled at hiding in your shell."

Chen Hong and Song Yi's expressions immediately tightened as Huang Ying called out, it seemed like things were about to truly start. They quickly scanned their surroundings, and as Xing Shue Yong knew that they had already been discovered he didn't bother to hide any more and revealed himself.

"I was wondering what it would take to make you admit that you killed him, I'm a bit surprised that you did it so easily."

Shue Yong dropped down from one of the tree crowns along with his followers, a little above 50 people. They were all clad in the same dark brown robes, the robes exuding a faint transparent mist that made it hard to properly detect them. They were all keeping pace with Huang Ying's group and had them nearly surrounded, but Huang Ying simply chuckled while grinning at Shue Yong.

"What does it matter if I tell you? Not like a corpse can do much about it."

Few things kept secrets better than the dead so what did it matter even if a deadman got to learn the truth in his final moments? Shue Yong's eyes narrowed sharply as he inspected Huang Ying, casting a glance at their surroundings while listening to the cacophony of beasts.

"You're quite confident, is it because of the little horde of beasts you're dragging around in this comical manner? You don't seem like a fool, you should know that these alone won't be enough, so what are you really planning?"

Huang Ying was a strange man and slightly mad man, that was something Shue Yong was already mostly convinced of. But he didn't seem like an utter fool, he certainly didn't come off as someone who would think a small thing like this would be enough to handle Shue Yong's current team. Huang Ying simply maintained his grin, his sharp canine teeth flashing slightly as he chuckled and sped up.

"Who knows, I'm probably just a touch suicidal."

Shue Yong frowned once more but picked up his pace so that he didn't stray too far from Huang Ying. He definitely had the advantage in numbers, but he was hesitant about attacking since he didn't know what Huang Ying was planning. What exactly gave him the confidence to just grin at odds like this?

But he also knew that he couldn't allow Huang Ying to keep running for too long, sending a signal to one of his men. The man, who was at the 3rd Stair of Ascension, immediately rushed out and blocked Huang Ying's path, stabbing straight at him with his sword.

But contrary to everyone but Ying Feixu's expectations, Huang Ying didn't move to dodge or block. He simply dropped the corpses he was dragging and took a small step to the side, the sword piercing directly through the left side of his chest and puncturing his lung. But it was as if the pain didn't even register in Huang Ying's mind, his grin turning bloody as some blood rushed up his throat.

"Good idea, human blood will definitely attract more of them!"

Both his arms shot out at the same time, the left one grabbing onto the hand that was holding the sword and the other reaching for the man's face. He violently pushed his left hand to the side, the sword that was pierced through his chest getting pushed aside. But the sword was going directly through him, so for it to get pushed aside it had to cut through his flesh and gouge out a gash in chest, the dumbfounded man instinctively cursing.

"You madm...!"

Huang Ying halted his words by inserting his right hand into the man's open mouth, latching onto his lower jaw like a vice. His now free left hand also shot forward and entered the man's mouth, latching onto his upper jaw just as Huang Ying started to exert his power. The two parts of the man's jaw were drawn in separate directions, his lower jaw breaking off and peeling open the man's throat.

Huang Ying's shadow stretched out at the same time, muddy tendrils latching onto the corpses he had just dropped and rapidly devouring them. His wound was healed and he kept on running, now holding onto the fresh corpse of the man that had tried to block his path. And as the people around him looked at Huang Ying holding that corpse, they started to faintly understand that he may not have been joking when he said that he might be a touch suicidal.

But looking at how he had been able to absorb a beast using his shadow like that, it was clear that he had a very peculiar law of darkness that granted him the right to be this suicidal.

The fresh blood of a strong cultivator, as well as the bits of Huang Ying's blood that had been spilt, only attracted more Demonic beasts. The horde chasing them only grew larger and larger with each passing second, and it wasn't long after that Song Yi and Shue Yong realized something, they were running in circles.

They both happened to spot a mark that had been left behind when Huang Ying killed a Demonic beast so they were confident that they were running in circles. But neither of them knew whether or not it was coincidental or planned, Song Yi pondering it curiously while Shue Yong grew a bit more vigilant.

Li Jun kept Huang Ying informed of everything that happened around them, especially when it came to what happened below them. A few minutes after Song Yi and Shue Yong realized that they weren't running deeper into the forest, they once again ran past the mark they had seen earlier and thus become perfectly confident that they were running in circles.

Of course, running in circles like this meant that the Demonic beast horde chasing them only got closer with each passing second. They constantly had to fend off more and more Demonic beasts, it was to the point that even Shue Yong's group was getting assaulted. But after they passed the mark for the sixth time, just as they finished decimating a mole-type Demonic beast, Huang Ying's eyes flashed brightly.

"Chen Hong!"

Chen Hong had been waiting for this call from the start so he immediately sprung into action and brought out his chariot, soaring into the air. And while he flew into the air, Huang Ying had already reached Song Yi's side and grabbed onto her, tossing her into the air and directly towards Chen Hong.

"Wha...?"

Not only Song Yi, but everyone else was also caught off guard by this sudden change. But just as Huang Ying tossed Song Yi away, the earth beneath him split open, massive cracks spreading out and causing the earth to collapse. Huang Ying simply grinned as the earth beneath him vanished, casually waving at Chen Hong and Song Yi.

"You'll just be a burden in the coming fight so just stay put up there!"

A hole that was nearly two-kilometres wide appeared in the forest, hundreds of tunnels visible at the edge of the hole. This was the exact reason Huang Ying had asked for a map that showed all the Demonic beast burrows in the forest, it was so he could determine his route.

He picked the path with the most burrows and ran along with it, constantly using his law of earth to move the earth beneath them around. Burrow after burrow was connected, the structure of the earth constantly weakening as the underground cavern was formed. It was a bit hard for Huang Ying to stretch his Qi deep enough to make the cavern large enough, but he luckily only had to impact the underground tunnels so it lessened the strain a little.

And the end result was the large hole that suddenly opened and swallowed both Huang Ying's group, Shue Yong's group, and a good portion of the Demonic beasts that were chasing them. All of them fell into the nearly half a kilometre deep hole, Huang Ying's Qi surging out as he devoured the nearest Demonic beasts to fuel his next move.

The earth that had been pushed away to create this large hole rushed out from the burrows where he had tucked it away, quickly gathering at the top of the hole. He glanced at Ying Feixu, who looked a bit annoyed that he had actually accounted for her in his plans. But she still acted quickly, using her own law of earth to support Huang Ying, the loose earth that had gathered at the top of the hole forming a lid that fully closed up the hole.

The hole was plunged into complete darkness, to the point where you couldn't even see your hand if you held it in front of your face. Of course, that was only the case for normal people and beasts, Huang Ying's vision was barely impeded by the suffocating darkness. And just as everyone hit the bottom of the hole, they heard a bone-chilling voice creep into their ears.

"Now then, welcome to the leviathan's hunting grounds."

7