Chapter 6 – A Valentines Like No Other
37 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Over the course of one’s working life, there are a few dates one pays attention to. The usual suspects are the Christmas season, New Year’s Day, perhaps the Holy Week and maybe All Saint’s Day as well. On occasion, one would also pay attention to possible long holidays in a particular year. The reason for this, of course, was to accordingly plan for one’s leaves. Everyone is pretty much aiming for longer breaks while using up less leave credits.

One of the dates to remember in our office that was an exception to the rule was Valentine’s Day. While normally people were looking forward to taking leaves, Valentine’s Day was one of the rare days where people were excited to come to the office. People wanted to know and wanted to see what kind of gimmick some guy might do in order to catch a particular girl’s attention.

Working in the IT industry can be rather boring, so employees tend to generate their own gossips and whatnot to keep things interesting. Valentine’s was the occasion that served as the climax of that sentiment, as pairings, whether real or just imagined, tend to be formed, broadcasted or actualized on that day. So as expected, that year’s Valentine’s Day came with much fanfare.

* * * * *

<[email protected]> jude!

<[email protected]> what?

<[email protected]> valentines!

<[email protected]> er…

<[email protected]> ok…

<[email protected]> what about?

<[email protected]> what are you planning to do on valentines? ^_^

<[email protected]> uhm… work?

<[email protected]> we do have work on that day, right?

<[email protected]> you know what I’m talking about!

<[email protected]> we… don’t have work on that day? :o

<[email protected]> :/

<[email protected]> ugh…

<[email protected]> what are you planning to give to V?

<[email protected]> uhm… nothing?

<[email protected]> what?!

<[email protected]> you serious?

<[email protected]> of course

<[email protected]> what even gave you the idea I’m gonna give her something?

<[email protected]> cause it’s valentines!

<[email protected]> and it’s V!

<[email protected]> and you like V!

<[email protected]> wut

* * * * *

<[email protected]> do something on valentines!

<[email protected]> no!

<[email protected]> lol

<[email protected]> even just chocolates!

<[email protected]> no!

<[email protected]> lol

* * * * *

<[email protected]> do something!

<[email protected]> no!

<[email protected]> it’s not like we’re dating or something

<[email protected]> then ask her out!

<[email protected]> lolwut

<[email protected]> ask her out!

<[email protected]> now!

<[email protected]> wut

<[email protected]> no!

<[email protected]> lol

* * * * *

I found it odd that during the days that led up to Valentine’s Day, it was only Shirley who was bothering me and trying to push me to do something. It was normally Chris, who liked to joke around and mess with people, who would normally be teasing me with regard to Vivien. I would only find out on the day itself why.

* * * * *

On the day of Valentine’s, I came to the office quite early. I typically came to work earlier than most people, so to me it was rather typical. It didn’t have much to do with Valentine’s, or any plan I had whatsoever.

In fact, I had nothing planned for that day. As I had earlier told Shirley, I was adamant about not doing anything. It wasn’t so much that I didn’t like Vivien, but it was more like I did not feel the need to do anything about it at that moment. I wasn’t in any way ready to make any kind of move.

As I entered the lobby of our office, I was quickly met with a curious atmosphere. The air was already bustling with a sense of excitement, as it seemed that various people were amused over something. Apparently, something had already happened.

As soon as I left the lobby and entered the working area of our office, I quickly noticed a rather eye-catching set up on the floor. Starting from the entrance of the working area, several origami flowers were positioned on the floor, marking out a pathway. I followed the trail of origami flowers with my eyes, and was led to the desk of one of the girls in our HR department.

Her desk was already surrounded by a few people, mostly busybodies peeking at the various things placed on her desk. I quickly glanced at her desk, not wanting to join in with the growing crowd.

Aside from the origami flower path that led to her seat, her desk was filled with various decorations. I was able to notice several balloons as well as a bouquet of flowers lying on her desk. It was, in summary, a very elaborate Valentine’s gesture.

I came away impressed by it. In all the Valentine’s prior and in all the Valentine’s after that I was with our office, there was not a single Valentine’s gesture that came even close to that. It became a legend in its own right.

* * * * *

“V, do you know who made the flower path on the floor?” I asked the only other person who arrived early in our block after exchanging greetings with her.

“It was Chris!” she answered seemingly elated. “I heard he stayed till past midnight for that, and that’s why he’s on morning leave today.”

“Wow! Really? So that’s why he didn’t leave early yesterday!”

I proceeded to get down to work shortly after our brief exchange, and soon enough people started reporting to the office. With the growing number of employees present that day, there was also a growing excitement over what Chris did, especially when the girl arrived. Chris, on the other hands, was still a no-show, even as he was already the star of that day.

* * * * *

<[email protected]> so…

<[email protected]> anything?

<[email protected]> lol

<[email protected]> nothing

<[email protected]> nada

<[email protected]> tsk

<[email protected]> it’s still not too late!

<[email protected]> you can buy flowers over lunch!

<[email protected]> lol

<[email protected]> no

<[email protected]> :P

<[email protected]> damnit

* * * * *

<[email protected]> wow chris is still not here

<[email protected]> yeah

<[email protected]> i’m getting tired of telling people that he’s on AM leave lol

<[email protected]> lol

* * * * *

<[email protected]> did you see that?

<[email protected]> see what?

<[email protected]> greg gave v a rose!

<[email protected]> uhm… ok…

<[email protected]> you have no reaction to that?

<[email protected]> uhm… should I have a reaction?

<[email protected]> lol

<[email protected]> tsk

<[email protected]> he’s gonna beat you!

<[email protected]> it’s not a contest!

<[email protected]> lol

<[email protected]> plus

<[email protected]> he did say it’s only a friendly gesture

<[email protected]> and he gave roses to a couple of other girls as well

<[email protected]> you can do likewise!

<[email protected]> give v flowers as a friendly gesture as well

<[email protected]> but I’m not friendly

<[email protected]> lol

<[email protected]> tsk

<[email protected]> not even any kind of reaction

<[email protected]> at least react to what greg did!

<[email protected]> OMG

<[email protected]> ?!!!

<[email protected]> WHAT?!!

<[email protected]> no, I meant omg chris just arrived

<[email protected]> damn you

<[email protected]> lol

* * * * *

As soon as Chris arrived in the office, the spotlight quickly got focused on him. Various people made their pilgrimage to our block, some to give Chris their praises, some to tease him over his gift to the girl. During that entire afternoon, Chris maintained his jovial self, joking around with whoever visited him that day. But throughout his ordeal of being subjected to various teasings and questioning, he kept mum about the girl and tried to downplay the whole incident.

I would only find out in the week after through rumors that the girl didn’t particularly took well to the gesture, as she was very much embarrassed over being put in such a spot.

0