1.6 Young Master Ji SongLi
412 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In Ji residence, a courtyard housed a single structure. The bamboo structure was well-made yet simple. There was a lone stone path leading to the secluded courtyard which was surrounded with small low-maintenance shrubs. It was tidy but one could tell from a single glance that the courtyard and the bamboo structure, even the choice of plants, were designed to be modest yet still aesthetically pleasing. The structure housed a single bedroom. It was sparsely and very simply decorated, but all the necessities were there. Ji residence had several such small courtyards in their household to accept guests, as long as they were not of high standings. For those of more importance, Ji ChanFang would host such people in his own main residence. Apart from those esteemed guests, the main courtyard was only accessible to his direct family members.

Sitting on a simple wooden stool by the chinese-oak tea table, Ji Song Li was holding a cup of tea. His trembling fingers betrayed his outwardly nonchalant expression.  Meng-momo and Xiao Hui were hovering over the bed the other new maid called Xiao Hua was currently lying on.

This small guest courtyard was opened specifically to nurse the little girl who was still unconscious. His two mothers and father of course would not allow the girl to be brought back to the normal servants' quarter where she usually resided. 

After all, the little maid had saved his sister's life. 

Ji SongLi's face gradually went pale as he recalled his memories from two nights ago.

Back then, when the horse finally stopped, Ji SongLi hurriedly ran to the other side of the road. Ji LanBai was still being held tightly by the little maid, her face plastered onto the latter's thin chest. His sister was crying in muffled noise, but the maid did not move. Only when they forcefully removed Ji LanBai from the girl's hold, he realized that the maid had fainted. Blood pooled down her pale chin, staining her maid's robe and Ji LanBai's hair that had become undone.

Such commotion caused General Zhen to lead his horse back to where they were. The horse rider that had barely missed running into Ji LanBai and the maid turned out to be his own sister's fiance, the Yong Prince, Third Prince  Zhang GuoFu. How ironic was the whole situation, that Prince GuoFu almost ended up killing his own future wife.

His companion, another horse rider who was just a step behind him, was General Zhen's thirteen-year-old son, Zhen BuFeng.

The carriage Ji SongLi noticed earlier turned out to actually carry both Crown Prince Zhang KongJing and Second Prince  Zhang JunLi. 

The jewelry vendor was only half-worried about the girl that had fainted with a silver hairpiece still embedded on her chin. He was more nervous to be at such close distance with an obviously noble and dangerously stern-looking armored man, well-built guards, and the richly-dressed elegant teens gathering in front of his stall. Some of the more tactful townspeople who knew the structures of the government and the imperial family managed to put two-and-two together and quietly observed from a safe distance.

Practically, the current Zhang Empire's younger generation's powerhouse were all there and it was not the safest place or time to stick their noses into.

That did not mean Ji SongLi's still horrified and loudly-crying sister was not creating more attention. More over, the fainted maid's face was getting noticeably paler, her shallow slow warm breathes creating soft mist from her nose, quickly disappearing into the cold air.

Having dismounted off his horse and observing the dire situation, Third Prince Zhang GuoFu hurriedly boarded the carriage his two older brothers were in. A few seconds passed before the three princes got out of the carriage. Zhang GuoFu walked towards Ji SongLi and gave a small nod, cupping his fists together in greeting. Despite having only sparsely met previously in their much younger years, the Yong Prince obviously recognized Ji SongLi's identity as the Ji clan's heir from the tiger jade the latter was wearing. Ji SongLi hurriedly curtsied back with a deeper bow of his body; there was no former precedent of a Royal Prince greeting a subject first. Ji SongLi was deeply ashamed of his lack of tact and protocol.

"Imperial brothers have given their consent to let the carriage be used to carry the girl," Zhang GuoFu said.

Ji SongLi was going to hand his sister over to his maids, noticing the other new maids belonging to her sister were terrified themselves. He was going to carry the unconscious maid onto the carriage; after all, the maid belonged to Ji clan and he owed that much privilege to her for saving his sister. He was not the type to be afraid to lower himself to help a commoner, neither would he ever think that touching the little girl was beneath him. But to his helplessness and slight irritation, Ji LanBai refused to let go of his robe, unlike how she had before decisively released herself of his hold to run across the road.

He was about to signal one of his guards to carry the little maid, then his eyes widened in bewilderment. The Third Prince, ignoring the blood that started to stain his robe's right sleeve from the opened wound from the girl's chin, lifted her promptly and jumped onto the carriage before quickly getting out of it himself. 

General Zhen YongWen instructed Ji LanBai and her maids to board as well and instructed them to not remove the silver headpiece from the girl's chin, lest she would lose more blood. None of the royal princes went back onto the carriage. Maid or not, they actually took the other's virtue into consideration. Even in emergencies, unmarried men and women should not be in a same enclosed space. Additionally, Ji LanBai was in no condition to walk by herself. The carriage would be big enough to carry all the little girls.
They were then hurriedly escorted back to Ji residence. The Crown Prince ended up riding together with General Zhen, and Second Prince together with Third Prince.

Ji SongLi himself boarded Zhen BuFeng's horse, riding together in silence.

While their horses followed the carriage from behind, he thought bitterly to himself amidst his anxiety. He did not know if the little maid had bad luck or truly a heaven-blessed luck. 

Despite her getting badly hurt and unconscious, there was no prior event ever of a lowly maid having been able to ride on an imperial carriage, even one belonging to the royal princes. More over, there was no prior occurrence ever that a noble dragon-blooded prince would lower himself to carry a maid.

*** *** ***

The last thing Mia remembered was the loud cry of the little girl she had risked her life for.

It was a wonder why she even bothered; after all, she had not even been living her new life long before facing potential death again. However, when she looked at Ji LanBai, and how precious and loved she was by her family, she was reminded of her own nephew. Both were cheerful, both were adorable. How could she just stand around looking at the little girl facing danger?

She remembered still holding the little girl's body tightly, refusing to let go even though the latter's cry was getting louder. Mia remembered feeling her consciousness fadingafter that.

When she managed to open her eyes again, she saw familiar worried faces in front of her. Her head was still spinning and her lower jaw was somehow hurting like hell.

"Xiao Hua, you have woken up," the bleary eyed Xiao Hui exclaimed, throwing herself at her. Mia winced as the other girl made her body sway, her jaw throbbing again.

Meng-momo tactfully pulled Xiao Hui off her and handed her a cup of water. Sipping it quietly through her numb lips, Mia quickly observed that she was in a much nicer looking bedroom than where she had been sleeping in ever since she arrived at this household.

Just when she finally noticed Ji SongLi's quiet presence, loud footsteps and excited relieved voice could be heard,

"You've woken up!!" Ji LanBai stormed through the room's door. However, as soon as she got closer and saw Mia's face, she cupped her mouth with her small hands before stepped back and stood by her brother's side. Her little head bowing down dejectedly as she quietly sniffled,

"Your face... . I... I am sorry," she muttered, beads of tears starting to flow down her smooth jade-like cheeks.

"L-LanBai is sooooo ssooorrryyy~!!!" Ji LanBai soon started wailing loudly, still shouting 'sorry' every few breaths, her small shoulders shaking up and down. Ji SongLi softly rubbed his sister's back in his futile attempt to soothe her.

Mia tried to speak, but she found that she was unable to. Lifting her fingers to her face, she felt that her face was framed with thick gauze. Her eyes, nose, and mouth were not covered, the pain came from her lower jaw and that was where the gauze seemed to be the thickest. She sighed inwardly and rolled her eyes.

The three royal princes, Zhen BuFeng, and Wu  JianRui stood by the door, having followed Ji LanBai who was very adamant to see her benefactor. Wu JianRui quickly walked towards her daughter and gathered her into her bosom, coaxing her softly.

It did not escape the young princes', Zhen BuFeng's, and Ji SongLi's eyes that the little maid merely brought her fingers onto her forehead, frowning slightly. Her small fingers slowly kneaded her temple, as though she was trying to ease her mind. Her cheeks slightly puffed as she took a deep breath. Then from her slightly swollen pale lips, she blew off some air. Her whole facial expression expressed her annoyance. 

Never mind that such display of attitude was very unbecoming for a servant in her masters' presence. She was clearly more troubled and annoyed at Ji LanBai's cry and teary hiccups than the fact that her face would likely have a permanent scar. After all, for any female, a blemish on their face was a curse, let alone a visible scar.

 

5