1.11 Key To Someone’s Heart Is Sweetness
367 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During their stay in the Ji residence, the three princes and Zhen BuFeng had their meals together with the Ji family members. This night, however, Ji ChanFang was not present.

Zhen BuFeng's father, General Zhen YongWen, had left the residence a few days after Ji LanBai's birthday along with Ji ChanFang to the capital city of Da Lang for an urgent summon from Emperor Zhang. When he came to Ming town, Zheng YongWen had not merely accompanied the princes for their military tutelage, but also acted as the carrier of Imperial decree on behalf of the Emperor for Ji ChanFang.

The maids and servants were cleaning up the dishes from the table, their masters were still seated and quietly sipping their tea after the meal. Ji LanBai constantly darted her gaze towards the dining room's door, where she could faintly see the silhouettes of two of her maids, Xiao Lin and Xiao Han. The other two maids, Xiao Su and Xiao He, should be waiting in front of her bedroom, preparing necessities for her night rest.

But Xiao Hui and Ji LanBai's self-proclaimed sister, Bai YuLan, were nowhere to be seen.

Usually YuLan would wait upon her in front of the dining room as well. Although YuLan was very favored and Ji LanBai would very much like for her to join the family for meals, this was simply not hierarchically acceptable. The two Madames understandably forbade a maid to eat at the same table as the masters. 

Everyone had only started to stand to leave the the dining table, when suddenly an enticing aroma drifted inside the dining room. 

Soon, Xiao Hui and YuLan could be seen walking slowly towards them, each carrying a tray of something that emitted the most mouthwatering smell.

Soon Xiao Hui and YuLan walked slowly towards them, each carrying a tray of something that emitted the most-mouthwatering of sweetness and aroma

Ji LanBai made a squealing sound when she saw what were on the plates. The two porcelain plates contained deliciously fragrant cake slices of some sort, row of peach-colored rectangular squares she had never seen before. However, she could tell these strange morsels would be wonderfully tasty. The squares were brown at the top and they emitted faint puff of smokes, slowly disappearing in the cold air. They seemed to have been freshly made.

"Young Miss," YuLan picked one slice off the tray, the best cut she could find with no bumps or defect, then placed it on a smaller plate Xiao Hui had tactfully handed to her. Then she put a stalk of orchid by the cake slice,

"Belated birthday wishes to you." She smiled at Ji LanBai, "My apologies that it took a long time. YuLan hopes Young Miss will like her present."

Ji LanBai was still staring at the peach-colored morsel in front of her. Her appetite suddenly surged again despite having just finished her meal.

"..... For me?" She slowly looked up to YuLan and muttered softly. 

YuLan nodded, "Don't eat the flower. It's just for decoration."

"Until I learn how to pickle flowers to make them edible," YuLan silently thought. In fact, there was still room for improvement for YuLan. She could try incorporating edible flowers in her batter in the future to add to the final look. She should also try to measure more precise amount of firewood she need to bake the cake. In fact, for this first try, she had to cut a lot of burnt edges from the cake and could only end up with a few of somewhat-pleasant-looking slices. 

She gave one good slice to Xiao Hui in the kitchen. After all, Xiao Hui had helped her fanning the firewood, while YuLan had to constantly check the tin to make sure the cake batter would not collapse during baking. She could still remember Xiao Hui's face after she had a bite. There were actually tears in her eyes. Coming from a poor orphanage, she must have not had the luxury to eat any sweet desserts before. In fact, Xiao Hui soon requested for YuLan to give the burnt discarded pieces to her to be shared with the other maids from the orphanage. Even burnt cakes were still good cakes for her.

Ji LanBai slowly cut a portion and brought it to her mouth to taste. As soon as it touched her tongue, she immediately stiffened and closed her eyes in bliss. The cake was light and fluffy, with a tinge of honey sweetness. There were traces of berries as well, that must have contributed to its beautiful color. 

Despite the end look being not the most intricate or beautiful pastry Ji LanBai had eaten, this was undoubtedly the best tasting one. However, she was immediately faced with a big problem: the one slice left her feeling like she had barely eaten and she found herself wanting more. The slice on her plate was gone in no time.

"I can probably finish the whole thing." Ji LanBai stared at the plates greedily. 

How could YuLan not know what Ji LanBai was thinking about? She quickly gave the other slices to the two Madames, the Young Masters, and the three princes. There was one piece left after everyone received their share, so she gave the last one to Ji LanBai.

"Just one more, Miss," YuLan amusedly said. If look could kill, the people around the table would drop already. The little girl's greed and dissatisfaction were so clear on her face when YuLan gave the cake slices to the others, "Although it doesn't look it, this cake is quite fattening."

"I don't want my china doll to turn into a michelin mascot," YuLan wryly thought.

LanBai settled with the second slice she got - not quite convinced, but resigned anyway

Ji LanBai settled with the second slice she got. Although she did not quite believe YuLan's claim about the cake being fattening, she could not do anything about it. Taking as long as possible to eat it, she observed her two mothers, brother, Zhen BuFeng and the three pinces.

Everyone were savoring their share. Her two mothers elegantly ate their cakes, and from time to time stole a look at YuLan. They must be having the same thought as Ji LanBai did.

YuLan must make this cake more often.

Ji SongLi and Zhen BuFeng ate theirs quietly. The cake was peach-colored, making it looked too girly, as well as just a tad too sweet for them. However, at least, it was much less sweet than a lot of pastries they had eaten in the past. 

Da Lang pastries and cakes usually emphasized in the aesthetic value, they were very beautiful to look at. However, those cakes did not necessarily taste nice for them. While traditional pastries were very popular with womenfolk during their outings or parties, Ji SongLi and Zhen BuFeng could never quite get used to the over-sweetness. It would be impossible for them to eat more thab one piece. This cake though, they certainly could eat more, although the color was so undesirable... .

Shifting their attention to the three princes, the two's mouths hung opened. The both of them were still yet to finish their portions, but the three Royal Highnesses' plates were already clean with no crumbs left. All the three of them were now elegantly wiping their mouth, but their eyebrows were furrowed oh-so-slightly while looking at the empty trays in the middle of the table in regret,  seemingly making sure that the trays were really empty.

The Imperial Princes must have quite a sweet-tooth.

Crown Prince Zhang KongJing lamented, "YuLan... ." He addressed her by her direct name with a trace of wistful melancholy, "This Prince will be the happiest man in the world if I can eat this every day... ."

Ji SongLi and Ji LanBai both stood abruptly at this, but Ji SongLi quickly realized he could not really say anything to the Crown Prince and could only frown in silence. However, Ji LanBai puffed her cheeks as much as she could,

"YuLan is mine!"

The Crown Prince just laughed at her outburst, Zhen BuFeng shook his head, the two younger princes looked at each other before shifting their gaze away. Ji SongLi then noticed Third Prince Zhang GuoFu very subtly stole a look at YuLan, before quickly sipping his tea again.

The two Madames could only apologize to the Crown Prince in embarrassement. However, everyone could tell that the Crown Prince was more amused than angry.

YuLan was very proud and delighted that everyone liked her cake, especially the main person she intended to give the cake to. 

She patted herself in the back inwardly, "Not bad for my first try baking a cake using such traditional utensils and methods. And without an electric oven to boot!"

That night, Ji LanBai once again sneaked into the study to sleep together with YuLan. After both were under the quilt, she immediately pester YuLan to make another cake soon. Preferably tomorrow, and the day after, and after... . Ji LanBai also promised she would only eat two slices maximum per day upon YuLan's nagging that she would get fat.

Then as a final excuse, YuLan cheekily replied they would need SongLi's assistance to make another one. After all, he was the only one at the moment who could whip the egg-whites perfectly. Although YuLan might be able to do it in the future one day, there was a perfect living mixer that could do it. Why wouldn't she use his service?

Hearing that, Ji LanBai promised to herself that she would not let her brother escape from this glorious duty, before drifting to dreamland.

 

 

5