1.12 Zhang and Jing
369 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A man was leaning his weight against a wooden table, his forehead creasing slightly. He was garbed in midnight-colored robe embroidered with golden threads on his sleeves. Although the apparel he wore was not one suited for winter, the cold weather outside did not bother him one bit. The room he was in was adequately warmed by a couple of braziers. His jet black hair was tied and gathered on top, secured with a golden coronet. 

The man was not young anymore, close to forty years old, yet his whole being still exuded sharpness and regality. His eyebrows were thick and resembled pointed swords. Although he had passed his prime days, one could see that he was a dragon among men. Even during his youth, he were respected by men and coveted by women. Despite somewhat very simply attired, he looked anything but ordinary. 

This man was the current monarch of Da Lang Empire, also commonly referred to Zhang Empire, Emperor Zhang SongWang. 

Across the table, Ji ChanFang and Zhen YongWen were also examining the scroll. Various drawings, symbols, and characters depicting the Da Lang empire and its surroundings' landscape and landmarks were there.

The scroll was one big map. 

"There is always a basis for rumor, regardless how little the truth is within." The man sighed, while running his fingers slowly through a sketch of mountains, which was drawn next to a wide open space, only marked with symbol of a field. It was the Northern Plains.

Apparently there was a bit of unrest in the Northern Plains. Once more, tribal wars were ripe.

Da Lang and the Northern Plains were only separated by the northern hills and wilderness. They had tactfully maintained their somewhat peaceful relationship because of their past ties when the Northern Plains was somewhat collectively ruled by the strongest leader then. 

There was a large incident before Emperor Zhang ascended to the throne. The Northern Plains had always been plagued with tribal unrest, all the small tribes constantly struggled for the highest power. Hence the previous Emperor had turned a blind eye; after all, if the tribes wasted their time to fight amongst themselves, Da Lang did not really have to worry about the tribes turning their eyes towards their domain. Back then, the tribe leader had his share of worry in containing all the smaller powers underneath and had no time to shift his gaze towards Da Lang.

During his days, Emperor Zhang, Ji ChanFang, and the then-holder of Wolf Seal, Old General Xun, had traveled to the Northern Plains to observe the tribal's conflicts.

Back then, the Jing tribe leader, who was also the largest tribe and considered the mightiest of all, was assassinated during one of the tribal wars. The more cunning tribes joined forces in their attack and they were quite successful in creating chaos.

Emperor Zhang who was under the tribe leader's territory and protection during his stay in the Northern Plains, had to spend efforts to subdue the smaller tribes. After all, with the communal tribe leader's passing, the empty seat of the unofficial ruler was free for the taking. In the Northern Plains, the strongest was the leader. Strength depicted authority, strength symbolized absolute. Unfortunately in the harsh conditions of the Plains, everyone coveted this authority if only to strengthen their own tribe's standing. With authority and power, their tribe would not lack territory and privileges granted along with it. Wider territory meant more games to hunt, more farms to sustain their people, more livestock to be owned. 

Unlike a place of literature and knowledge like Da Lang, the Plains folks only knew how to attack or defend in the most primitive sense of way. There were more tactful tribes that preferred peace of course, but to have this peace, they had to live much closer to the top of the mountains rather than the wild plains, where wind blew harder and sun scorched much hotter. With the mountains as their protector, although they did not get any grief from the warring tribes below, it was harder for them to hunt or live with the scarcity of animal and edible plants. 

Da Lang's army spent a great deal of years, not only to preserve their own lives, but to also protect the remaining descendants of the dead Jing leader.

During the chaos, a lot of the remaining Jing blood was lost. The only adult son of the leader apparently was believed to have perished as well, along with his small children. There was only so much Emperor Zhang and his vassals could do at the time. After all, initially they were there only to observe and provide minimum assistance, not to wage war. Sending a messenger for reinforcement was not wise either.  The Northern Plains and Da Lang territory was surrounded by deep gorge and mountains as tall as the clouds. By the time the message reached the capital, it would already be too late.

What he could do at the time was to protect the dead leader's two daughters. But despite his best effort, he could only manage to save one in the end and grew to be increasingly fond of her.

Even then, the woman ended up dead in Da Lang, despite his protection inside the inner palace. Who knew what contributed to her death; it might be because of her heartbreak because of the fate of her tribe. It might also be because of the inner-palace: for a tribal princess who used to be free in the wilderness, how could she stand the desolation and Da Lang palace women constantly attacking her mentally.

That woman, the third and youngest daughter of the Jing leader, was precisely Royal Consort Chin, birth name Jing Yi. She was the birth mother of the Third Prince Zhang GuoFu and could only be a concubine due to her background. However, after her death, the Emperor gave her the second highest title after the Empress. Perhaps it meant empty title for the late Jing Yi, but it would give necessary status for her child. 

Back then, Jing Yi was already under Zhang SongWang's protection two years before he succeeded the throne. But circumstances and politics required him to fill the inner-palace with established women of Da Lang for their substantial family power. There was no status that could be given to a Princess of an extinguished tribe from the Northern Plains. Old General Xun's daughter, later crowned the Empress Zhen, was also admitted into the palace only after he was crowned the Emperor.

Emperor Zhang maintained all propriety. He had Crown Prince Zhang KongJing and Second Prince Zhang JunLi with the Empress, before he physically touched JingYi. Yet, he still lost her in the end, leaving behind Third Prince Zhang GuoFu as her sole legacy.

The Emperor smiled wryly, "General Zhen, please assign a hundred people to the northern territories for the moment. If there is any inkling of the truth, do send news immediately."

Zhen YongWen saluted in response, "Understood, Your Highness."

"That shall be all," Emperor Zhang lifted his head and looked at both of his Generals, his expression now relaxed, "You should go to Ming town soon to fetch my three children. I wish to have them with me and the Empress for New Year. After all, KongJing will have his own fief next year and will not be in the Palace for long anymore."

Ming Town could be reached by hardly a day's journey with a horse from the Imperial City. It was one of the reasons why Ji ChanFang made it his home: it was far enough from the Imperial City's bustle for his wife's peace, but close enough to give support to the Emperor with his army whenever needed.

The two Generals acknowledged their response and were about to exit the room, when Emperor Zhang called, "General Ji, I hope GuoFu has not given you and your daughter grief?"

Zhen YongWen noticed they were going to chat about their children's engagement matter and thus tactfully left the room first.

Ji ChanFang laughed, trace of embarrassment in his voice, "If anything, it is this subject's spoiled daughter that has given the Third Prince grief."

"Don't be formal with me," Emperor Zhang walked towards a side table and poured some tea into two cups, handing one of them to Ji ChanFang, "Brother Fang."

"Then I won't be courteous anymore," Ji ChanFang grinned, accepting the tea. Only when there were only the two of them - no eunuchs, no maids, no servants, no children, no other soul around - they could be just sworn brothers, not an Emperor and a subject.

"I can see Jing Yi in Zhang GuoFu,ChanFang slowly said, causing Zhang SongWang's hand that was holding the teacup pausing in mid-air.

There was silence while both men sipped their tea quietly.

"I hope the rumor is true," Zhang SongWang let out a drawled tired breath, "If the late tribe leader's son or his lineage is still alive, maybe I can protect them."

"I owe that much to GuoFu and Jing Yi," He added.

Ji ChanFang stayed mute to this. He was very clear that in Da Lang's imperial book, the Third Prince would not have a place in history. With the excellent Crown Prince and the talented Second Prince around, the Third Prince would be the last person anyone would think as the next candidate for the throne. It was not necessarily a bad thing; of all people, he knew how the imperial lineage was always embroiled in internal conflicts. The person sitting at the highest seat had authority that could be as fragile as a piece of glass. At least for his daughter's sake as well, Zhang GuoFu would be the best choice out of all the Imperial sons.

At the moment, Empress Zhen, along with her military maternal family, was content with her oldest son holding a sure inheritance to the throne. But that was not to say the Crown Prince's future would be smooth-sailing. For every shift in power, there were always struggles that seemed to test the future leaders, just like when Zhang SongWang contended for the monarchy.

Ji ChanFang knew his sworn brother's intention. Despite being a mighty dragon in the battlefield, Zhang SongWang was a very loyal and affectionate person. Jing Yi was fortunate in her lifetime to receive a part of his affection, and subsequently her son too. Thus, Zhang SongWang wanted to find out if the son of the late Jing leader was still alive. Zhang SongWang thought if he could assist the tribal heir to claim their authoritative power again in the Northern Plains, he would have an extra layer of protection for Zhang GuoFu. After all, half of Zhang GuoFu was of the Northern Plains.

And this had to happen, preferably before Zhang SongWang absolve his hold to the throne and pass it to the Crown Prince. 

"Your Majesty should never forget the past," Ji ChanFang said, noticing the Emperor's eyes dimmed. Once again, he used his formal way of addressing to emphasize his words, "But Your Majesty must not let the past dictate your present and control your future."

Zhang SongWang stayed silent, but Ji ChanFang knew his sworn brother had understood. The Emperor still had many more years to go in his reign, while his seedlings were being molded into capable rulers. Of all three, the biggest burden was on the Crown Prince's shoulders.

 

6