1.29 To The Capital (2)
232 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Although Wu JianRui was extremely worried to leave her husband by himself in Ming town, she did not really have any say in it. Being the wife of a military general, it was always the norm for her to be separated at times from Ji ChanFang. 

Over the past few days, everyone else apart from Ji ChanFang had to prepare for their departure. Their party should be as discreet as possible, lest any possible spy of the Dong tribe found out that the majority of Ji family members had left the estate. Fortunately, with the Royal Princes and Zhen BuFeng also masking their departure, this became easier.

Before long, Wu JianRui and Meng-momo; Hai FenChu, Ji LanBai, and BaiYulan, as well as Ji LanBai's group of five maids, boarded a few carriages, which were to depart at different times during the same day. Each of the departing carriage was escorted by either some Imperial Guards, Zhen BuFeng, or Ji SongLi.

He Shan and Sun Chen also joined their group, each riding a horse. There was no reason for them to stay in Ming town when their only disciples would not be around anymore. Their decision to return to the capital city of Da Lang was also because both men were now used to performing together with their two disciples. With both young ladies at the capital city, surely there would be more opportunities and profit to be made.

The last idea was actually He Shan's, being always an opportunist that he was.

Hardly any of guards from Ji clan accompanied them at this time, to give impression that apart from some official mission by Ji SongLi, none of the other Ji family members were in those departing groups. Ji SongLi however, still chose two Ji family's guards to accompany him. None of them carried the Ji family token or wore any distinct garbs, nor wielded their normal engraved swords that might give away their identities.

Ji ChanFang and some of his personally chosen military men stayed at Ji estate, lying in wait. The family servants also stayed behind and worked normally, though now they had far less masters to serve.

*** *** ***

From the town of Ming to the capital city of Da Lang, it merely took around half-a-day travelling by a fast horse. However as they moved pretty slowly, their group only reached the outer-skirt of the Capital when it was already dark.

Da Lang was dubbed as the most secure and flourished city of the Zhang Empire, and for good reasons.

The city had three layers of stone walls, with the inner area housing estates of more prominent families and officials of the dynasty. The expansive Imperial Palace was located at the city center, surrounded by deep moat and more tall stonewalls, only linked by public roads by several heavily guarded bridges. Lesser officials, merchants, and other general populace lived in the second and third layer of the city, each ring protected by thick stone walls, also guarded by the best of city guards.

Although it sounded pretty simple, the capital city was also the most populated city, and the biggest. To travel from one layer to the other, it would take almost another day, then another day if one wished to view the outer walls of the Imperial Palace.

After non-stop travelling, Ji SongLi's group finally reached the outermost area of the capital city.

Both Madames were thoroughly exhausted and everyone was in less than optimal spirit after being boxed in their carriages for the majority of the day, so they decided to find an inn for an overnight rest.

The inn they had chosen was a recommendation of the Princes as the establishment had hosted some important officials before as well. Therefore their professionalism and lodging quality should not be questioned.

 

 

 

The two famed young scholars of Da Lang, He Shan and Sun Chen, actually decided to leave their group as soon as they reached the inn. 
They would continue their journey to the central area of the capital. The first reason being; they wanted to inform their old Master teachers of their return. The second; as the Ji family members' departure from Ming town was pretty sudden, He Shan and Sun Chen had offered to use their and the old Masters' connections to possibly obtain an empty estate to be used for their temporary residence.

Ji SongLi and the Madames thought this would be good, as they could not possibly trouble the imperial family or the Zhen clan to host them, especially when they did not know how long this arrangement would last.

In Zhang Empire, although there was no distinct segregation of the sexes, females and males who were not of the same families would still normally be seated separately. Therefore, all the ladies of Ji family were currently seated at one circular table, and the Royal Princes and Zhen BuFeng were at a different table. Ji SongLi also sat with the men, as Zhen BuFeng still had not had enough of their martial arts discussions.

After dinner, the two Madames excused themselves to rest early, leaving only the young people who were still chatting in high spirits. The youths had now moved to the larger common area, making their group quite conspicuous to other guests of the inn. After all, this small group of very important looking people were tightly guarded by some Imperial Guards. Granted, none of the guests knew that these were Imperial Guards, therefore they could not know the actual identities of the people the guards were protecting. But anyone with half a brain would know that those young people inside the protective circle of the guards were not ones to be bothered or offended. 

The Crown Prince was slowly waving his fan, just idly listening to Zhang JunLi, Zhen BuFeng, Ji SongLi, and sometimes even Zhang GuoFu exchanging pointers about this sword art or that spear art. 

He was getting very bored. Why couldn't these boorish people chat about something more interesting?

His eyes brightened up when he turned his head to look at the group of the young ladies. Ji LanBai, Bai YuLan, and the five maids were giggling among each other, chatting about something.

He stood and decidedly took a sit a short distance away from the girls, finally attracting their intention. Zhang KongJing decided he might as well tease one or two to ease his boredom, "So, Miss YuLan... ." He chose his target, the very person he had indescribably been attracted to every time he met her, "We have known each other quite well now..." .

He omitted his 'Prince' way of calling towards himself to show his goodwill, as well as to not attract any unfavorable ears from strangers.

"What do you say if you start calling me by my little name instead?" His lips were curled in a small smile, his expression relaxed but half-expecting. He turned to Ji LanBai as well, "Of course, Bai-mei can also address me as such."

At this point, the men who were initially discussing about martial arts all turned to look at him. Crown Prince Zhang KongJing just grew more emboldened with this. Deciding that he would also enjoy teasing these people as well, he turned his head slightly to look at Zhang GuoFu while still addressing Ji LanBai, his eyes full of childish glee,

"Bai-mei...," he repeated, causing his third brother to frown at his lax way of calling, "Please call me Jing-ge!"

Ji LanBai blinked her eyes. She looked to her side, and she saw YuLan's lips were pursed in amusement. Then she looked at her brother and her fiancee sitting not far from her. She could not read their expressions, but both men were somewhat bewildered.

Then she looked back at the Crown Prince - this always kind and politely speaking, if not a bit frivolous Prince. She thought,

"Well, as I am betrothed to GuoFu-ge , and the Crown Prince is his eldest brother, then I guess it is acceptable for me to call him brother as well?"

She took a deep breath and slowly but surely muttered, "Jing-ge."

Zhang KongJing let out a delighted laugh at this. He thought this future sister-in-law of his was truly adorable. Himself and Zhang JunLi had not taken an official wangfei, although both had some lower ranked concubines for their physical needs in their fiefs1It's pretty common to have 'bed servants' for the royalties to look after their nightly activity needs. The bedservants won't necessarily be their wives as well.. He was truly pleased that at least GuoFu would have an official wife of such pleasant and lovely conduct.

Truth be told, for them, the matter of marriage was not something they would stress their brain cells for. A woman with good status and family background would be as good as any to be titled their Consort.

Looking at Zhang GuoFu's face getting just a shade darker, the Crown Prince coughed and shifted his attention to YuLan,

"Lan-mei." He altogether discarded his normal way of calling her 'Miss', "Let's hear you try as well?" He waved his fan slowly in anticipation, "Call me Jing-ge!"

Bai YuLan tilted her head just slightly and stared at him silently.

Both stared at each other with their own inner-thoughts, small smiles hung upon their lips.

Zhang KongJing thought, "Granted I have personally requested that all formality to be disposed, but what is with this girl's bravery of directly looking at a Royal Prince in the eyes? She does not even have any fear or at least pretend to be."

YuLan thought, "You, young brat! having the gall to ask this older sister to call you older brother? And expecting me to be flustered? Yes, you are handsome, but you are clearly not my opponent."

YuLan finally lowered her head in diffidence to avoid his scrutinizing eyes,  "Master Jing is jesting." She also avoided calling him by his Prince title to avoid any unwanted disturbance from other guests in the inn, "How can this lowly one dare to call Master as such?"

Ji SongLi lifted his lips in amusement to see the Crown Prince frowning at her response. There was a pleasure blooming in his heart when he heard YuLan's refusal to get overly familiar with the Crown Prince.

At this point, Second Prince Zhang JunLi stood abruptly and very impolitely half-leaned his body against his eldest brother's arm,

"Miss YuLan, what about try calling me Li-ge?"

YuLan also smiled at him and did not reply, clearly expressing her dissent. Third Prince Zhang GuoFu silently observed, himself now was also dissuaded to try.

SongLi frowned, "'Li-ge' can also be a way to call me. But she wouldn't even call me 'ge-ge', despite how I have... asked... ." His mind trailed off, finally was reminded of the first time he had asked YuLan to address him informally.

Smiling, he leaned his body to talk to Zhen BuFeng at his side, whispering at the latter. The vice-commander's eyes widened, and he looked back at Ji SongLi who was now grinning at him.

Zhen BuFeng stood and walked towards YuLan, still giving Ji SongLi an incredulous look. Then he turned to look at YuLan, his forehead slightly in frown, while his face carried a faint trace of expectation,

"Miss YuLan." He slowly spoke, "What about... you can just call me 'BuFeng'...?"

YuLan quickly threw a glance at Ji SongLi who was now also smiling at her. She let out a soft chuckle before turning her attention back to the tall young vice-commander,

"If... BuFeng insists, I shall do so." She curled her lips, her expression bright like a winner, "But only if you call me 'YuLan' as well. I am not some noble lady."

Zhen BuFeng laughed out loud and let out a relieved breath, "Of course, of course, YuLan!"

Ji SongLi frowned deeper.

The three Princes were now congregating closely,

"Then call me 'Jing' will do, YuLan!" The Crown Prince gripped his fan tightly, his eyes sparkling.

"And of course YuLan can also call me 'Li', or 'JunLi' is also acceptable!" Second Prince Zhang JunLi added, now grinning wide.

"And you can also call me 'Fu' or 'GuoFu'!" Third Prince Zhang GuoFu added, himself also smiling.

YuLan blinked her eyes, stupefied. But she soon also let out an amused laugh. Her eyes were curved into crescents and her tone was cheerful,

"Then YuLan can only apologize in advanced for being rude." Yet she clearly did not have any inkling of being sorry. 

She looked at each of the three Royal Princes then added in whispering voice while bringing her index finger to her lips, her small smile impish, "But only when there are no other nobles around."

She then softly but clearly said their names, while looking at their eyes in turn, "Jing. JunLi. GuoFu."

The three Princes, even Zhen BuFeng, also laughed at her mischievousness. How was it that they did not feel offended at all with this turn of events? For some few minutes later, they merrily called each other by their little names.

The brows on Ji SongLi's forehead practically almost touched each other and he wanted to slap his past self who had told BuFeng that little tip.

*** *** ***

 

5